Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Am I wasting my money if I upgrade my evga 770 sc w/acx cooler with evga's step-up program and spend $80 to get a new evga 780 with acx cooler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Doyzer posted:

Am I wasting my money if I upgrade my evga 770 sc w/acx cooler with evga's step-up program and spend $80 to get a new evga 780 with acx cooler?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm wrong. Looks like the ACX stuff got added. It's cheaper than the reference designs too somehow.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 7, 2013

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
So is the current generation of cards (780ti, 290x) still at the point where it doesn't matter having pci-e 2.0 instead of 3.0? While I want a new card I still want to put off getting a new cpu/mobo for a while.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, as long as you're not doing any crossfire or SLI stuff.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Haeleus posted:

So is the current generation of cards (780ti, 290x) still at the point where it doesn't matter having pci-e 2.0 instead of 3.0? While I want a new card I still want to put off getting a new cpu/mobo for a while.

We've basically got Word From On High about this, yes, AMD has tested their link-less, PCI-e only Crossfire with the 290x down to PCI-e 2.0 8x and there was no significant performance difference, hence them not requiring a bridge to use Crossfire. The older hardware is kinda buggy in this bridge-less mode, but the same basic theme applies - if it's not bottlenecking the 290x, it's not going to bottleneck anything else in this generation either.

I can find no performance difference between PCI-e 2.0 16x and PCI-e 2.0 8x on my GTX 780, which as I've noted previously is a pretty good but not one-of-a-kind overclocker. This makes me happy as it allows me to keep using the PhysX card, until that finally goes away as a concept. :)

Doyzer posted:

It's up to you to determine whether it is a waste or not but the 780 SC ACX in particular is a killer card, if you step up to it you can expect a very substantial performance boost and the additional gig of VRAM is going to come in handy I reckon, but all of this really depends on your resolution. If it's at 1080p, edge case maybe. If it's lower, don't bother. If it's higher, go for it, you'll need the additional framebuffer.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 7, 2013

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Agreed posted:

I can find no performance difference between PCI-e 2.0 16x and PCI-e 2.0 8x on my GTX 780, which as I've noted previously is a pretty good but not one-of-a-kind overclocker. This makes me happy as it allows me to keep using the PhysX card, until that finally goes away as a concept. :)
Additionally, this means that PCI-e 1.0 16x also has a minimal performance penalty.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The shortcut keys don't work? I'm afraid I don't have BF4 so I can't test personally, but there are videos on YouTube showing it off.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Only thing I can suggest is making sure you're running in full screen and not like windowed mode or full screen windowed mode. Shadowplay doesn't seem to work on programs that aren't full screen.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TPU has the 780 Ti review up.

A bit faster than a 290x, quieter, less power usage and overclocks well. Much more expensive. You get 50% more bang-for-your-buck with a 290.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I'm a tad underwhelmed for the price. But then NVIDIA has always loved to price their cards high. It also only has 3GiB VRAM, which is what we got 2 years ago with the 7970.

I also noticed that the 290X scales better than the 780 Ti in SLI.

So if you're buying a pair, the 290X would be faster AND cheaper.

The big question mark here is: what the hell happens to Titan? It's less capable in every single way than 780 Ti. It's a product with a fancy name and no market.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 7, 2013

thingul
Mar 2, 2005

El Scotch posted:

A bit faster than a 290x, quieter, less power usage and overclocks well. Much more expensive. You get 50% more bang-for-your-buck with a 290.

That is literally more bang-for-your-buck :rimshot:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

El Scotch posted:

Pretty much as expected from Nvidia. Waiting for non-reference 290 and 290X models seems to be the way to go for those looking for good performance/price ratios. I'm sure the Lightning/FTW/SC versions of the Ti will be monsters, given the gains already seen from the overclocks on various reviews, but you are starting to hit 290 CF price range at that point.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

The big question mark here is: what the hell happens to Titan? It's less capable in every single way than 780 Ti. It's a product with a fancy name and no market.

It's still the entry-level compute card, is that no market?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It is a bit of a misnomer to be comparing Titan to any of these

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Pretty much as expected from Nvidia. Waiting for non-reference 290 and 290X models seems to be the way to go for those looking for good performance/price ratios. I'm sure the Lightning/FTW/SC versions of the Ti will be monsters, given the gains already seen from the overclocks on various reviews, but you are starting to hit 290 CF price range at that point.

None of these new cards have had the coolers to stretch their overclocking legs. The excellent cooler and lower power draw of the Ti shows a 'wow' overclock vs the 290s right now, but the 290 cooler is crap compared to Nvidia's. It'll be interesting to see later testing results when the taps are opened for both. As Hallo mentioned above, the 3gb ram will strangle the 780 Ti a bit down the road. Supposedly they have 6 and 12gb special editions coming, but who knows what they'll cost.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

It's still the entry-level compute card, is that no market?

Ah, this is true. It also has double the RAM. I keep stupidly thinking of gaming.

Then again, why would the Titan be faster than 780Ti in any way? Is compute performance simply crippled on 780Ti?

Edit: stupid question, the answer is of course yes

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 7, 2013

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
When it comes to Battlefield 4, it would appear you need more than a 780Ti if you want 60fps at 1600p on ultra. This is the exact opposite of the news I wanted today.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663-5.html

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bishyaler posted:

When it comes to Battlefield 4, it would appear you need more than a 780Ti if you want 60fps at 1600p on ultra. This is the exact opposite of the news I wanted today.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663-5.html

I suppose if you want to pony up $100 more you could get the 7990 that can.

(Or, you know, two 290s. :freep:)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'll have some results of my 290 crossfire up tonight, maybe, if I don't get too drunk. If nothing else I'll have at least 1 290 on water this weekend.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Technical question: A lot of the new Ultrabooks have crazy high resolution screens. I am not a big gamer but I do play from time to time. I see when games are played at the native resolution usually they get crap frame rates. If you played a game at a lower resolution would the frame rates improve? Or not since the same amount of pixels need to be lit up no matter what (If you played at full screen).

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
The 780ti lands again just where I expected it to. In most cases, it barely edges out a win against a 290 or 290X, for $150 - $300 depending on which GPU you go for. In that aspect, it would seem like this is a card only for NVIDIA fanboys, or those who have $700, but no idea what to spend it on.

That being said, it does sort of make me laugh. In order to take the performance crown back, all NVIDIA had to do was essentially check some more boxes to unlock more stuff, and bump the clock speeds up a little bit. AMD spent nearly half a year trying to come up with something to beat the 780, and they created a hot and loud monstrosity (if you go reference) in order to do so. They created a lot of hype around the Hawaii GPUs, only to have it beaten by a slight bump on NVIDIA's end shortly afterward.

The 780ti is a great GPU, but it's no question that you'd get better bang for your buck if you were to get a 290, 780, or 290X instead.

I will say though, the 780ti apparently demolishes when it comes to overclocking, at least according to Linus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1JOhT015ww
So, maybe if you're a very extreme overclocker with money to burn, this is your card.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

b0nes posted:

Technical question: A lot of the new Ultrabooks have crazy high resolution screens. I am not a big gamer but I do play from time to time. I see when games are played at the native resolution usually they get crap frame rates. If you played a game at a lower resolution would the frame rates improve? Or not since the same amount of pixels need to be lit up no matter what (If you played at full screen).

If you played a game at a lower resolution the frame rate would improve. The display or GPU itself would simply scale the image to the screen. It wouldn't look as perfectly crisp, but that's all.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

b0nes posted:

Lower resolutions improve frame rates, though running on an LCD at less than native resolution hurts picture quality since it has to interpolate rather than output each pixel directly as the card produces it. So you'll get faster, but blurrier How bad this is depends on the screen and the resolution, but it's at least better than playing a slideshow.

One exception is if you can have an exact multiple of resolution. For example, if you get one of the crazy 2560x1440 ultrabooks and then game fullscreen at 1280x720 (exactly half that) you'll have a perfectly sharp image, just effectively with bigger pixels.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Yep that's my plan if I save up enough to the new Dell XPS 15. I'll run the 3200x1800 screen at 1600x900, which is a good fit for the 750M it comes with.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sincx posted:

Yep that's my plan if I save up enough to the new Dell XPS 15. I'll run the 3200x1800 screen at 1600x900, which is a good fit for the 750M it comes with.

Hot. I wish for a 13.3" laptop with that screen res and that class of GPU. In a slim build.

13" 1600x900 is just about the perfect amount of space at 100% to my eyes, but all these 1920x1080 screens at 13" are in that awkward as gently caress zone that is too small and yet scaling looks goofy.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Cross posting this from the Wii U demise thread. Someone posted a chart with the relative performance of the consoles, and I added in the 780 TI and 290x.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

fookolt posted:

Hm, I can't seem to get it to show up or work when I'm playing Battlefield 4 :(

Are you playing on full screen? It doesn't work on windowed or windowed full screen mode, for any game (yet)

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

mayodreams posted:

Cross posting this from the Wii U demise thread. Someone posted a chart with the relative performance of the consoles, and I added in the 780 TI and 290x.

Interesting, but maybe a 280X would be a more appropriate card as that would be at least somewhat comparable cost wise.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Interesting thing about Shadowplay that most people probably won't encounter but which might matter to some, especially given that it's probably going to be one of the better Let's Play tools going forward (for nVidia users, anyway) - it causes some serious issues with old D3D games using DirectX versions prior to DX9. May be DirectDraw related, but not certain.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
So, where could a gentleman buy one of them 780ti's? I can't find it at all. Was it released today?

edit: In canada

Athropos fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 7, 2013

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Killer robot posted:

Lower resolutions improve frame rates, though running on an LCD at less than native resolution hurts picture quality since it has to interpolate rather than output each pixel directly as the card produces it. So you'll get faster, but blurrier How bad this is depends on the screen and the resolution, but it's at least better than playing a slideshow.

One exception is if you can have an exact multiple of resolution. For example, if you get one of the crazy 2560x1440 ultrabooks and then game fullscreen at 1280x720 (exactly half that) you'll have a perfectly sharp image, just effectively with bigger pixels.

Cool. I am deciding between the ASUS UX301 (crazy high resolution but Iris Pro 5100 chipset, or the UX301 (1080 x ?, but with a Nvidia discreet GPU) I've never really gamed at anything higher than 1024 x 768, the pixels are too small to see.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

b0nes posted:

Cool. I am deciding between the ASUS UX301 (crazy high resolution but Iris Pro 5100 chipset, or the UX301 (1080 x ?, but with a Nvidia discreet GPU) I've never really gamed at anything higher than 1024 x 768, the pixels are too small to see.

*discrete GPU

The UX301 with the 5100 is an amazing machine without a doubt.

By the way, since you can actually buy the Zenbook Infinity, you probably live in Germany.

If you can buy from Denmark and want a similar, but discontinued machine, how about the top of the range Vaio S? http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/1019826/sony-vaio-s-series-svs13a3w9e-core-i7-

This is basically as good as it gets in this form factor.. faster than 4558U.. (Ivy Bridge turboing to 3.7GHz stock, Geforce 640M LE that can be overclocked 100% according to the internet).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Teaser.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Rahu X posted:

I will say though, the 780ti apparently demolishes when it comes to overclocking, at least according to Linus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1JOhT015ww
So, maybe if you're a very extreme overclocker with money to burn, this is your card.

The main thing about the GTX780Ti is that it deep sixes the GTX690 and HD7990 (even GTX770 SLI too) when overclocked. If you're looking to buy a beast of a card but don't want to mess around with SLI or Crossfire, then its the best option out there even if it costs an arm and a leg.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

jeffreyw posted:

The main thing about the GTX780Ti is that it deep sixes the GTX690 and HD7990 (even GTX770 SLI too) when overclocked. If you're looking to buy a beast of a card but don't want to mess around with SLI or Crossfire, then its the best option out there even if it costs an arm and a leg.

I'm waiting for Maxwell.

:qq:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Maxwell, Haswell, Broadwell... Why are we settling for less than Maxbest?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Maxwell, Haswell, Broadwell... Why are we settling for less than Maxbest?

Chemtrails, probably. 94% certain.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Making GPU's the Max Power way.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Sup, buddy. :respek:

More pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I -almost- bought 2 classies last week, but held off. Ended up with 2 290s because of the triple monitor set up. Acrylic wasn't my first choice but it was the only one they had in stock. Matter of fact, I tried to order 2, but ended up having to order 1 and 1 so that I would get the single block that was in stock by the weekend. This will be my first experience with EK. I've usually tried to stick with Koolance and XSPC.

What good does the backplate do other than looks?

Also, do you really run without any sort of clip on your tubing.