Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Crosscontaminant posted:

The daycare is seriously the most stupid money sink in the game. Now that I have all the TMs that and occasionally buying more Poké Balls are the only reasons I still need to grind for more money. Does anyone actually use the daycare for levelling rather than just breeding?

Between the EXP share and the free Lucky Egg, who would?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Crosscontaminant posted:

The daycare is seriously the most stupid money sink in the game. Now that I have all the TMs that and occasionally buying more Poké Balls are the only reasons I still need to grind for more money. Does anyone actually use the daycare for levelling rather than just breeding?

How much money are you spending in the daycare :psyduck:? All I've been doing lately is breeding and using the 3* restaurant for leveling and I have >1mil poke bucks at the moment.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Crosscontaminant posted:

...1 step is worth 1 point of exp? If you were ever using the daycares to level a pokemon up, you were doing something wrong.

Either it should have been the lead in your party, or it should have been in your party with the exp share.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Generally a couple thousand per breeding pair. Level 1 Pokémon grow up fast. I ended the game with juuuuuust about enough money to buy all the TMs after selling some of the random crap I'd been lugging around all game, then fought the Elite Four to have enough money to do Restaurant Le Wow (which was hugely underwhelming - everyone talks up how much money you get out of it, but I made 100k for a perfect goddamn run). Currently sitting on about 150k.

Gensuki posted:

If you were ever using the daycares to level a pokemon up, you were doing something wrong.
I'm not, I'm breeding.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Even if you completely ignore the "be done in x turns" gimmick in Le Wow you still get profit from the prize money + selling balm mushrooms.

And you'll probably get close to the goal anyways because holy loving hell does the computer LOVE PROTECT.

Lucario used Protect!
Morris's Pokemon shifted to the right!
Togekiss used Protect!
Shieldon used Protect!
Morris's Pokemon shifted to the left!
Togekiss used Protect!
But it failed!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Crosscontaminant posted:

Generally a couple thousand per breeding pair. Level 1 Pokémon grow up fast. I ended the game with juuuuuust about enough money to buy all the TMs after selling some of the random crap I'd been lugging around all game, then fought the Elite Four to have enough money to do Restaurant Le Wow. Currently sitting on about 150k.

Any time you are doing the 3* restaurant, make sure one of your mons has the amulet coin and that you are using prize money power. I only have prize money 2, but between the mushrooms and prize money I end up making something like 150k profit per rotation battle run.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

My Timid Gengar currently has this moveset:

- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

I'm not sure if Ghost/Fairy is the best coverage. Smogon recommends Focus Blast but that accuracy is way too low for my taste. Should I keep it as is, or swap out Dazzling Gleam for something better?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What's his hold item?

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

I do runs in the Battle Chateau. It's right next to the daycare which is convenient and I make about 100,000 pokebucks every time I go in there. Sometimes a lot more if theres a Gym Leader or Elite 4 member there, they give about 80,000 a win.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The Leper Colon V posted:

What's his hold item?

Not sure yet. Probably Black Sludge.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Are there any pokemon rom hacks that have every pokemon in that generation available to capture? Ideally, I'd like to have it be FireRed/LeafGreen, but I'll take what I can get.

Fire Red Omega

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lhet posted:

The other nice thing about horde training is that you have a chance of encountering a shiny, and you get some pickup triggers (Got my leftovers while training excadrill). If you have -EV berries you can just blindly go to a high level place and get a bit of leveling too.

What carries Leftovers?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zahki posted:

I do runs in the Battle Chateau. It's right next to the daycare which is convenient and I make about 100,000 pokebucks every time I go in there. Sometimes a lot more if theres a Gym Leader or Elite 4 member there, they give about 80,000 a win.
Do you have to do writs to get better people to show up? I cleared it out once, then confused what to do next.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Harlock posted:

Do you have to do writs to get better people to show up? I cleared it out once, then confused what to do next.

As you defeat more trainers in there you'll rank up and stronger trainers will appear. I think you need to be at least a Marquis before Gym Leaders start showing up. The Writ of Invitations will make new trainers show up more frequently, so you can run it again sooner.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
The Daycare is useful for leveling in that you can fly to the middle of Lumiose City, wedge a coin in by the control stick, then perpetually bike around in circles while you go do something else IRL. Never done it myself, though; EXP isn't that hard to come by.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zahki posted:

As you defeat more trainers in there you'll rank up and stronger trainers will appear. I think you need to be at least a Marquis before Gym Leaders start showing up. The Writ of Invitations will make new trainers show up more frequently, so you can run it again sooner.

The writ you get at Marquis (maybe a rank sooner) basically makes a new guy show up in the time it takes to beat another one. Marquis is gym leaders/audino girls, the next tier up (Duke) is Elite 4/more audino girls, so those are excellent for XP. Marquis to Duke took me a while, it's kinda annoying there's no "beat X more people to rank up" meter to check.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a move that's similar to Rock Slide that i can swap out for. The accuracy and having it on my Gogoat is making me heavily unsure about keeping it. I could swap for Earthquake, but then that leaves me open to flying-moves instead of being a big problem for them.

Also, what are some decent spreads for a Gengar? I don't know the terms, but I want him to more or less be a specific problem for certain Pokes that's "sneaky" (I may mean fast? I'm not sure. I just ate a cheese stcik and also unsure about life)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

sword_man.gif posted:

Even if you completely ignore the "be done in x turns" gimmick in Le Wow you still get profit from the prize money + selling balm mushrooms.

And you'll probably get close to the goal anyways because holy loving hell does the computer LOVE PROTECT.

Lucario used Protect!
Togekiss used Protect!
Shieldon used Protect!
Morris's Pokemon shifted to the left!
Togekiss used Protect!
But it failed!

The Protect shenanigans are easier to overcome in the double and triple battle menus if you bring something that knows Feint (and station it in the middle if playing Triples). The first few turns, knock out all but one of the restaurant's pokemon. On the final turn, use Feint, and get the KO with something else.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Babysitting.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Bongo Bill posted:

What carries Leftovers?

You need a pokemon with pickup. Assuming the pickup charts are the same (pretty certain at least the leftovers are the same), then once the pokemon is 81+, you have a 1% chance of getting a leftovers each time it picks up a thing (10% chance after a battle). I've had my linoone from level 35, and it's spent a lot of time at level 100, grabbing candies, stones, and now finally leftovers.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

The Protect shenanigans are easier to overcome in the double and triple battle menus if you bring something that knows Feint (and station it in the middle if playing Triples). The first few turns, knock out all but one of the restaurant's pokemon. On the final turn, use Feint, and get the KO with something else.

It has nothing to do with it being difficult, just time consuming, and since I mostly use it for leveling it's much safer to not have the dude you're leveling getting picked off by some opportunistic gently caress, and they still get up front exp even if they never participate in a rotation.

Just more "shadow ball shadow ball shadow ball *watches movie* shadow ball oh it's done sludge bomb slud* etc.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well, I'm stupid. I only just realized that the Ditto I was using to breed was Adamant.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

deadly_pudding posted:

I really wish somebody would publish a better list of EV hotspots. That nuggetbridge one is kind of crap. I hunted for Bellsprout hordes on Route 14 and kept getting Skorupis instead, so I gave up and just Super Trained like usual.

Have you looked at the one in the smogon forums? I find that list far more helpful since it lists all the possible horde encounters on each route.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I really wish somebody would publish a better list of EV hotspots. That nuggetbridge one is kind of crap. I hunted for Bellsprout hordes on Route 14 and kept getting Skorupis instead, so I gave up and just Super Trained like usual.

I'm going to do a better one, I think. I have nothing but time at work here today. I have also noticed it is lacking. Maybe they're trying to find the lowest level dudes? I have like a lvl 80-something Blastoise that just Surfs everything to death

I was looking for Attack EVs yesterday and it was raining in like 3 of the places :negative: But then I found a route (19) that has Arbok and Weepinbell on it (both 2 attack EV). The downside being the Gligar + Skorupi hordes. I just give Blastoise the smoke ball to guarantee I can escape.

e: Even better, ^^^, someone did the work for me already!

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I've been using this for referencing Horde EVs: (warning, reddit)

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I read there was a thing that made eggs happen more often. Is this a thing?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It's a reward for completing the Pokedex.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm not sure what nature I want for my Supersized Pumpkaboo. Relaxed or Brave maybe?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yeah, that's the Oval Charm. You get it from Sycamore once you've seen everything in the Kalos dex, minus Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres.

Yes, this means you need to have Xerneas and Yveltal marked as seen, too.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yeah, it's the Oval Charm. I got it simply by seeing all the Pokémon in the Kalos Pokédex, excluding the two legendary birds I can't get. Isn't too difficult, Serebii's PokéEarth feature tells you where to find any you might be missing (Gliscor is tricky to find if you don't have a trade partner or BP for the Razor Fang for example, only appearing in the Sushi restaurant).

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm not sure if Ghost/Fairy is the best coverage. Smogon recommends Focus Blast but that accuracy is way too low for my taste. Should I keep it as is, or swap out Dazzling Gleam for something better?

The only pokemon you can't hit for at least neutral with ghost/fairy is the Pyroar line, the lone normal/fire type. Ghost/fighting technically has perfect neutral coverage as far as I know, but I would never use a below 90% accuracy move (then again, I'm focusing on the battle maison atm).

I'm now swapping out Goodra for a support pokemon, Togekiss with Follow me and three other moves (probably thunder wave/moon blast and roost/protect). It'll take Alakazams spot as my second lead to help Kangaskhan set up. Also considering swapping out sucker punch for fake out on my khan.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

sword_man.gif posted:

I believe that the AI in the last battle round at Le Wow, in the rotation battles at least, is programmed to use only Protect and priority moves such as Extremespeed and Aqua Jet. At least I've never seen it use anything else.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I have to admit, every time I'm in the GTS and there's a big grumpy-looking "NO NICKNAMES" in the message box, it makes me want to go and get what they want, call it something stupid like fartman and send it over.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Slap taunt on your main killer. Problem solved.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Gengar's STABs already have perfect neutral coverage (for individual typing anyway). The only things that resist Ghost are Normal/Dark, and Poison is neutral (not SE, sorry) against both of those. The reason people would run something else is mainly because both Poison and Ghost have a type that outright walls them. The advantage of Ghost/Fairy is nothing outright absorbs Fairy, and the advantage of Ghost/Fighting is perfect neutral coverage (except against a type mix that doesn't exist right now) and higher BP on Focus Blast... but it's Focus Blast, which misses a lot, so it's up to you if it's worth that.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 7, 2013

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Nakar posted:

Gengar's STABs already have perfect neutral coverage (for individual typing anyway). The only things that resist Ghost are Normal/Dark, and Poison is neutral (not SE, sorry) against both of those. The reason people would run something else is mainly because both Poison and Ghost have a type that outright walls them. The advantage of Ghost/Fairy is nothing outright absorbs Fairy, and the advantage of Ghost/Fighting is perfect neutral coverage (except against a type mix that doesn't exist right now) and higher BP on Focus Blast... but it's Focus Blast, which misses a lot, so it's up to you if it's worth that.

I know you edited this but steel/dark and normal/ground resist or are immune to both, however rare they may be.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Which spot in the party corresponds to the lead spot in a rotation battle? Is it top-left?

Which one is the middle in a triple battle? I feel like at least one of them needs to be the top right

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MrFlibble posted:

I know you edited this but steel/dark and normal/ground resist or are immune to both, however rare they may be.
Yeah it's just a question of whether you want something nothing that exists can technically wall (only Normal/Ghost resists Fighting and Ghost, and nothing is Normal/Ghost) vs. some semi-obscure types that technically resist both Ghost and either Fairy or Poison. Steel/Dark is Bisharp and Normal/Ground is Diggersby, that's it. For Fairy and Ghost you'd have to be Dark or Normal and one of Fire, Poison, or Steel. There's only one Normal/Fire in Pyroar, and then for the Dark mixes you'd have Bisharp again, Houndoom, Skuntank, and Drapion. So if nothing else going with Poison over Fairy gives you STAB and higher BP and fewer things that are genuine counters at the risk of having either of your moves outpredicted and walled. Because seriously you're not going to see Diggersby much at all and Bisharp is incredibly uncommon (although definitely threatening to Gengar I guess due to high Attack and Sucker Punch).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a move that's similar to Rock Slide that i can swap out for. The accuracy and having it on my Gogoat is making me heavily unsure about keeping it. I could swap for Earthquake, but then that leaves me open to flying-moves instead of being a big problem for them.

Also, what are some decent spreads for a Gengar? I don't know the terms, but I want him to more or less be a specific problem for certain Pokes that's "sneaky" (I may mean fast? I'm not sure. I just ate a cheese stcik and also unsure about life)

Anyone have any recommendations for either of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I really hate fighting Mega Kangaskhan, because they are fast, they hit very hard, you can't survive them with Substitute, Sturdy, or Focus Sash, they one-shot all of my favorite ghosts (though, admittedly, I haven't tried Gourgeist yet), they have an increased probability of making you flinch, and because if I were to train one of my own, everybody else's would be faster because I don't want to try to get perfect IVs. What can I do about it this problem?

• Locked thread