Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When Wade finds Butler, he's gonna wear his duodenum as a jaunty hat. And that scene hit me emotionally in a way I haven't been hit since that little kid asked Aunt May if she was Peter's mom at his funeral.

"Did you make breakfast for him like his mommy?"

gently caress you, Bendis and Bagley... It-it's just dusty in this comic... I have allergies....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Deadpool is not a lucky dude.

WickedHate posted:

That is heartbreaking tragedy done right. Not grimness for the sake of grimness.

Wait, so you're saying the scene wouldn't have been improved by seeing the actual impact of the bullets splattering blood all over the place, possibly with some bone fragments flying around? And then the guard who shot them makes a lovely one-liner?

That's crazy talk.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Wait, so you're saying the scene wouldn't have been improved by seeing the actual impact of the bullets splattering blood all over the place, possibly with some bone fragments flying around? And then the guard who shot them makes a lovely one-liner?

That's crazy talk.

Change Deadpool to Batman. Add some rape.

I'll take my paycheck now, DC. :smug:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Madrox posted:

X-Factor Annual vol. 1 #6 from 1991 was part of the forgettable x-over "Kings of Pain". What I do remember it for, was a backup written by Peter David and featuring Mystique. Her close friend Irene Adler, AKA Destiny, had recently died at the hands of the Reavers. It's worth noting that when originally writing Mystique and Destiny, Claremont had wanted to portray them as lovers, but the Comics Code Authority at the time would not allow a same-sex relationship to be shown. This back-up shows Mystique going to scatter Destiny's ashes, at the specific place and time instructed in her will. Destiny also left her an envelope containing Beatles lyrics, a ring, and a photo. Keep in mind that Destiny's power is the ability to see the future.

The CCA may have not let Claremont write them explicitly as lovers, but to his credit, we all kind of knew at the time that they were a couple. I have to admit, this moment is a pretty great "happy mourning" experience. Plus, for 91, I'm impressed the colorist was able to nail the glasses print from the blowback.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Madrox posted:

X-Factor Annual vol. 1 #6 from 1991 was part of the forgettable x-over "Kings of Pain". What I do remember it for, was a backup written by Peter David and featuring Mystique. Her close friend Irene Adler, AKA Destiny, had recently died at the hands of the Reavers. It's worth noting that when originally writing Mystique and Destiny, Claremont had wanted to portray them as lovers, but the Comics Code Authority at the time would not allow a same-sex relationship to be shown. This back-up shows Mystique going to scatter Destiny's ashes, at the specific place and time instructed in her will. Destiny also left her an envelope containing Beatles lyrics, a ring, and a photo. Keep in mind that Destiny's power is the ability to see the future.

gently caress it, man. Let's go bowling.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I swear to god I don't have a collection of dying animals comics. I just wanted to share because I like Alec Stevens' art when I'm in the right mood.

From Taboo 8

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Here's Paul Dini's story this week from Batman Black & White #3. A child kidnapper is holding a girl for ransom. He lured her into his van by promising that he knew Batgirl and could introduce them. She manages to get free:

It's really appropriate that Dini wrote it because it feels just like an episode of B:TAS.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That was fuckin' great. I really enjoy the Batman Black And White I've seen.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That was awesome!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That's the kind of cheesiness I love. God bless comic books.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That was fuckin' great. I really enjoy the Batman Black And White I've seen.

I dunno, I bought the first issue and thought it was pretty lame. "Here's an incomprehensible zombie Batman story". No thanks.

This is a lot better than that, anyway.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hakkesshu posted:

I dunno, I bought the first issue and thought it was pretty lame. "Here's an incomprehensible zombie Batman story". No thanks.

This is a lot better than that, anyway.

That was a Neal Adams Crazy story about Batman deciding to fight mortgage lenders or some poo poo. It was awesome. Most of the other stuff was more conventional but good, fun Batman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

StumblyWumbly posted:

That was a Neal Adams Crazy story about Batman deciding to fight mortgage lenders or some poo poo. It was awesome. Most of the other stuff was more conventional but good, fun Batman.

Neal Adams truly has the best take on Batman.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Is Dini even capable of writing a Bats story that doesn't use the TAS voices? Because if he is, I don't want to read it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Choco1980 posted:

Is Dini even capable of writing a Bats story that doesn't use the TAS voices? Because if he is, I don't want to read it.

There's this Batman one-shot where Harley is fighting the new female assistant of Scarface. When Batman asks her what her beef is with those two, she reveals how scared she was during her first night in Arkham and the first Ventriloquist tried to cheer her up only to be punished by his own dummy. She never forgot that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

When Wade finds Butler, he's gonna wear his duodenum as a jaunty hat. And that scene hit me emotionally in a way I haven't been hit since that little kid asked Aunt May if she was Peter's mom at his funeral.

The funeral issue of Fallout absolutely rocked me in every way. The little girl offering May a hug made the room get real dusty for a couple minutes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dickeye posted:

The funeral issue of Fallout absolutely rocked me in every way. The little girl offering May a hug made the room get real dusty for a couple minutes.

Here you go
Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Here you go

That moment paints such a picture to me because you never saw Peter save her and that lets you know Peter was being a hero even when we weren't watching, all we really got was the highlight reel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man that Ivy and Harley comic is the best.

Dammit DC pay attention!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

bobkatt013 posted:

Here you go

Ugh why did you have to post the little girl panels, they're so brutal. The whole end of Ultimate Spider Man with Peter and May and it's just ugh.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SynthOrange posted:

Man that Ivy and Harley comic is the best.

Dammit DC pay attention!

They are.
An art-corrected version without that pesky jumpsuit will be forthcoming any week now.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I think we're gonna get a new entry to this thread soon:

Hellboy & Beast of Burden together! I'm excited as hell, and sad I had already hit the comic store before seeing the link.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

RedMagus posted:

Oh man, I think we're gonna get a new entry to this thread soon:

Hellboy & Beast of Burden together! I'm excited as hell, and sad I had already hit the comic store before seeing the link.
You got me all excited for a new one but that comic has been out since 2010. It's a good comic! Check it out if you can!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been mentioning lately that my favourite comic when I was little was Sonic the Comic (I've been meaning to make this long-rear end post about it in the underrated runs thread), which was the UK's official Sega publication. Anyway, here's a sample from a Christmas story. It's not exactly touching or inspiring in a "heartwarming" way so much as a "villain realises what his actions have cost him way". It's silly, I admit, but I'm pretty nostalgic about it.

This is from STC #93.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Metal Loaf posted:

I've been mentioning lately that my favourite comic when I was little was Sonic the Comic (I've been meaning to make this long-rear end post about it in the underrated runs thread), which was the UK's official Sega publication. Anyway, here's a sample from a Christmas story. It's not exactly touching or inspiring in a "heartwarming" way so much as a "villain realises what his actions have cost him way". It's silly, I admit, but I'm pretty nostalgic about it.

This is from STC #93.

....Shortfuse. He was the Robotic Squirel tearing up the satalite, wasn't he? He was supposed to be a Super-badnik but he maintained his free will, and fought against Robotnik.

I remember that.

Good work Metal Loaf.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

....Shortfuse. He was the Robotic Squirel tearing up the satalite, wasn't he? He was supposed to be a Super-badnik but he maintained his free will, and fought against Robotnik.

That's right, and you'd be hard-pressed not to remember it because he recapped his origin almost every time he appeared.

"So, you're going after Robotnik, huh? Well, you can count me in! I've had it in for him ever since he trapped me in this indestructible Cybernik armour and I turned against him!"

"Remember me, Robotnik? The invincible super-badnik you created who turned against you?"

Ad nauseam.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Question IRL posted:

I remember that.

Good work Metal Loaf.

So basically he was Proto Man with the serial numbers filed off?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Metal Loaf posted:

That's right, and you'd be hard-pressed not to remember it because he recapped his origin almost every time he appeared.

"So, you're going after Robotnik, huh? Well, you can count me in! I've had it in for him ever since he trapped me in this indestructible Cybernik armour and I turned against him!"

"Remember me, Robotnik? The invincible super-badnik you created who turned against you?"

Ad nauseam.

If I recall, they didn't use him all that much and a lot of STC was single stories or little arcs. Reminders like that are part and parcel of a little-used character.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
In another thread Joe Kelly's JLA #65 was brought up. The story is Batman and Plastic Man team up to help one of Plastic Man's exes, whose kid has fallen in with a gang. It goes less than well, as the kid turns into a bouncy dinosaur and the gang escapes. The world's greatest detective concludes that Plastic Man is the father.

This was probably the first issue of Modern JLA that I read, and it's a great stand-alone, Kelly and Mahnke really sell the characters reactions.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

bobkatt013 posted:

Is it just me, or is May pretty much dressed up as Wong?

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
I thought they were Iron Fist-branded pajamas, m'self.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

ManiacClown posted:

Is it just me, or is May pretty much dressed up as Wong?

Huh. Never noticed that before, but yeah, pretty much:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

The blonde's man hands in panel 4 are really jarring though. Maybe that's why I'm crying?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Does anyone have the panels from the funeral a few pages later where May is calling out Captain America? Those really stuck with me. "So Peter idolized you guys, constantly tried to live up to your example, and so you told him he wasn't a real hero- immediately after which he took a bullet for you and died. Do I have that about right?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Or is it Sputnik posted:

This was probably the first issue of Modern JLA that I read, and it's a great stand-alone, Kelly and Mahnke really sell the characters reactions.

So wait, am I misinterpreting the page or is that last panel supposed to be Plastic Man disguised as Batman's belt buckle? I thought they just made a big deal about how Plas couldn't change his color.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Most people probably know about this and I know it's not technically a panel but it's the most touching and comicbook related thing in the news lately and the more people that hear about it the better:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ish-Batman.html

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

So wait, am I misinterpreting the page or is that last panel supposed to be Plastic Man disguised as Batman's belt buckle? I thought they just made a big deal about how Plas couldn't change his color.

Yeah, and he's got yellow on his costume. He must've just squeezed everything else onto the backside of Batman's belt.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

TwoPair posted:

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, and he's got yellow on his costume. He must've just squeezed everything else onto the backside of Batman's belt.

I think McSpanky has the right idea. The only colors Plastic Man can do is his skin color, red, yellow and black.

For about ten years I thought Batman's pause at the last page was hella awkward, but then I noticed what he's doing. He's looking at his belt. Read the sequence again.

"No one cares about me... Not my father. Y-you know who my father is... don't you? You know... She said he's dead, but I know... P-plastic M-man... A-are you friends? Does he... does he know about me?"

The reason Batman is "ahem"-ing and shaking his belt right there is because it's the opportunity for Plastic Man to jump out and hug Luke, and it doesn't looks like it's happening. Batman is not telling Luke "I'll finish this my way", he's telling Plastic Man. Plastic Man blew it, he couldn't "change color" when it counted. Someday maybe, but not today.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Here you go

Wait, is that Kong in the background of Panel 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Or is it Sputnik posted:

In another thread Joe Kelly's JLA #65 was brought up. The story is Batman and Plastic Man team up to help one of Plastic Man's exes, whose kid has fallen in with a gang. It goes less than well, as the kid turns into a bouncy dinosaur and the gang escapes. The world's greatest detective concludes that Plastic Man is the father.

That is all time one of my favourite Batman stories from my favourite Justice League run. (Yes, I prefer the Kelly/Mahnke run, even above the Morrison/Porter or Waid runs.)

The line Batman uses to Plastic-Man about being a good dad, I have no fooling used that line twice in the real world to my friends, and meant it. So thanks Batman (and maybe Joe Kelly), for making me seem like a wise, sage figure.

As for the scene it wasn't until my second reading, but to figure out what was happening there (and it is indeed, Batman tries to give Eel an oppertunity to man up and reconnect with his son, he chickens out and Batman has to do it instead.)
That being said this issue occurs early on in Joe Kelly's run and it's a part of Plastic Man's arc. After this he is frozen, shattered but kept alive for about 2,000 years and the one thought that keeps him going is how he wants to reconnect with his son. And as soon as he does get put back together, he does reconnect.
Then it culminates in a big arc where Plastic Man is the one hero who can save the world from Martin Manhunter.
Overall it was a great arc.