Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HughGRect posted:

What did you spend 2k worth of bullion on? PVP gear?

Blood stuff and the special "be summoned into a Funcom stream to photobomb it" skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

What did you spend 2k worth of bullion on? PVP gear?

Just a 10.4/4 Blood Focus.

orcane posted:

Blood stuff and the special "be summoned into a Funcom stream to photobomb it" skill?

Seriously. Have you ever wanted a Funcom Community Manager to come back from being AFK to be surrounded by /graffiti? Sign in right the gently caress now.

Edit: Nevermind she disconnected for being idle.

Edit 2:

Edit 3: Find me and Upton:

Len fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 3, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Found another preview of 1.8. The third outfit from the left is apparently the achievement outfit for The Whispering Tide. (So, probably "do all missions and get all lore", but maybe something else, it's not listed as a reward in-game yet.)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cheston posted:

Found another preview of 1.8. The third outfit from the left is apparently the achievement outfit for The Whispering Tide. (So, probably "do all missions and get all lore", but maybe something else, it's not listed as a reward in-game yet.)

That site also has some direct clarification on what everyone's getting as far as scenarios go:

quote:

Normal and Elite modes of The Hotel Scenario will be free and available to all the TSW players, while the Nightmare mode will need to be bought separately. The regular DLC (downloadable content) will contain all three locations with all three difficulties. The other two locations will be available for purchase separately with all three difficulty levels included in the bundle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So Funcom didn't mean to make a terribly boring zipline cut scene. They just forgot to put the real cut scene in.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 5, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Considering coming back to this game after not having played since the first issue.

Can I do good DPS with blades yet, or do I have to get something else to have fun with?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Datasmurf posted:

Considering coming back to this game after not having played since the first issue.

Can I do good DPS with blades yet, or do I have to get something else to have fun with?

Do you mean for dungeons or soloing?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Datasmurf posted:

Can I do good DPS with blades yet

ahahahahaha

Not really, but plenty more weapons/builds are viable now than were at launch, and it's pretty easy to get enough AP to fill out specific builds (especially if you run the Issue 5, 6, and 7 missions).

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Datasmurf posted:

Blades can hold their own in dungeons, but prepare yourself for people telling you otherwise. It does require learning the fights, so i would suggest a cookie cutter ranged build first.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HughGRect posted:

Blades can hold their own in dungeons, but prepare yourself for people telling you otherwise. It does require learning the fights, so i would suggest a cookie cutter ranged build first.
You mean like Cheston? :haw:

I mean people who say that are right in a general sense. You can get away with having a massively better build (there aren't many) and always knowing where to be when but an average player will not have either, and there are enough bosses where the answer to "when to be where" is "not in melee range 90% of the time". It also really depends on what dungeon you're doing, sometimes even the fights hostile to melee are no big deal and sometimes you really want to have a ranged build ready.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 6, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Len posted:

Do you mean for dungeons or soloing?

Dungeons and probably raids?

I could hold my own while soloing with blades / elemental back in the days, even did some dungeons and farming that damned airport with goons.

I do have some stuff filled in that isn't blades, but every time I tried something that weren't blades / elemental, I just couldn't wrap my head around how to play it well. I do remember learning the tacs for the dungeons up to issue 1, so the only times I died was when the tank / healer died, or when I did something stupid (like standing in fire or water with strong electric currents). I guess if I'm going to make a come back to TSW and The Awful Order, I'd have to relearn the game anyway, so I guess that'd mean finding out if I do have a good QL 10 rifle, or if that's just something I've imagined.

Thank you (and the others who posted under you) for the feedback.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I also haven't played for some time (1.3 I believe) and I'm looking to come back. Does this game have a few more things going for it than just running nightmares for gear and the horrible, horrible PvP I remember?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

I also haven't played for some time (1.3 I believe) and I'm looking to come back. Does this game have a few more things going for it than just running nightmares for gear and the horrible, horrible PvP I remember?

This very moment? No.

Just more dungeons to run for gear, PVP is worse then it was at launch. In the next couple weeks we will get grind 2.0 in the form of scenarios to unlock augment, which are signets for abilities.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Datasmurf posted:

Dungeons and probably raids?

I could hold my own while soloing with blades / elemental back in the days, even did some dungeons and farming that damned airport with goons.

I do have some stuff filled in that isn't blades, but every time I tried something that weren't blades / elemental, I just couldn't wrap my head around how to play it well. I do remember learning the tacs for the dungeons up to issue 1, so the only times I died was when the tank / healer died, or when I did something stupid (like standing in fire or water with strong electric currents). I guess if I'm going to make a come back to TSW and The Awful Order, I'd have to relearn the game anyway, so I guess that'd mean finding out if I do have a good QL 10 rifle, or if that's just something I've imagined.

Thank you (and the others who posted under you) for the feedback.
The 'good blades dps build' uses fists as a secondary and is actually the strongest dps build anyone is aware of at the moment, as long as you can stay in melee. It goes something like,

Actives
Bamboo Cutter (sword builder that does more damage to afflicted targets; I might be wrong on the name)
Tear 'em Up (Fist consumer that gives you a 10% damage buff)
Dancing Blade (Focus sword consumer)
Reckless (20% more damage, but you take 10% more damage)
Steel Echo (Sword hits proc an extra attack)
Master's House (Sword Elite, 25% more damage & movement speed)
+ 1 utility skill, like sleight of hand, an impair, or a dash. If you need 2 utility skills, replace Steel Echo since it has a long cooldown and doesn't really add that much.

Passives
Elemental Force + Brawler - line these up to force-crit Dancing Blade since it's most of your damage.
Seal the Deal (elite) - Really easy, don't even have to think about using it as long as you stay synced. Tear 'em up procs it, Dancing Blade consumes it.
Iron Maiden + Twist The Knife - yay for penetration
Lethality/Sharpshooter/Feverpitch, depending on the dungeon - yay for not glancing
Sharp Blades - 10% more damage for swords

Aux
-Rocket Jump if you need it
-Otherwise use Crack with Whiplash - doing so advances your EF counter as well, so you can do something like 5 builder -> crack(6)-> Tear 'em Up (7) -> Dancing Blade (auto-crit)

All in all you end up with something like +65% damage (or maybe it's multiplicative?), guaranteed crit, and high penetration chance on every single Dancing Blade tick, with Whiplash up every other rotation, plus another 45% and Steel Echo whenever your cooldowns are ready. And Dancing Blade has higher base damage than shootout to begin with, to make up for the shorter range.

That's assuming, of course, that you can stay in melee...which is often difficult to do without dying, even if you are intimately familiar with the boss. Looking at you, Machine Tyrant.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 6, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Interesting …

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Clairetic posted:

The 'good blades dps build' uses fists as a secondary and is actually the strongest dps build anyone is aware of at the moment, as long as you can stay in melee. It goes something like,

Actives
Bamboo Cutter (sword builder that does more damage to afflicted targets; I might be wrong on the name)
Tear 'em Up (Fist consumer that gives you a 10% damage buff)
Dancing Blade (Focus sword consumer)
Reckless (20% more damage, but you take 10% more damage)
Steel Echo (Sword hits proc an extra attack)
Master's House (Sword Elite, 25% more damage & movement speed)
+ 1 utility skill, like sleight of hand, an impair, or a dash. If you need 2 utility skills, replace Steel Echo since it has a long cooldown and doesn't really add that much.

Passives
Elemental Force + Brawler - line these up to force-crit Dancing Blade since it's most of your damage.
Seal the Deal (elite) - Really easy, don't even have to think about using it as long as you stay synced. Tear 'em up procs it, Dancing Blade consumes it.
Iron Maiden + Twist The Knife - yay for penetration
Lethality/Sharpshooter/Feverpitch, depending on the dungeon - yay for not glancing
Sharp Blades - 10% more damage for swords

Aux
-Rocket Jump if you need it
-Otherwise use Crack with Whiplash - doing so advances your EF counter as well, so you can do something like 5 builder -> crack(6)-> Tear 'em Up (7) -> Dancing Blade (auto-crit)

All in all you end up with something like +65% damage (or maybe it's multiplicative?), guaranteed crit, and high penetration chance on every single Dancing Blade tick, with Whiplash up every other rotation, plus another 45% and Steel Echo whenever your cooldowns are ready. And Dancing Blade has higher base damage than shootout to begin with, to make up for the shorter range.

That's assuming, of course, that you can stay in melee...which is often difficult to do without dying, even if you are intimately familiar with the boss. Looking at you, Machine Tyrant.

My blade/fist build uses stunning swirl on mobile fights, sleight of hand when needed or sling blade on dps races. crack and Jones in the fast lane is my typical auxiliary, lines up ele force perfectly. On dps check fights were mobility or survival is not needed i use timber and sling blade to line up ele force. Passives are similar, ele force, brawler, seal the deal, iron maiden, twist the knife and accuracy. The last passive is either fever pitch in hell dungeons or lethality.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I'm sorry.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

The Issue 5, 6, and 7 mission chains are excellent, so I recommend getting those.

(Pretty much every issue after 1.4 has been a direct continuation of the game's story, rather than a shotgun spread of "random missions that they couldn't have in at Launch." Issue 8, which'll apparently be out tomorrow, adds Scenarios, which may or may not be boring and are described pretty well on the official TSW site.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A lot of NM fights make it very, very hard to maintain contact time as melee (e.g., Machine Tyrant, Melothat and Klein), which hurts melee users quite a bit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sounds like Issue 8 proper launches today. Anyone up for doing some Nightmare Scenarios tonight around 7pm est?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Sounds like Issue 8 proper launches today. Anyone up for doing some Nightmare Scenarios tonight around 7pm est?

I'm sorry, I will.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

I'm sorry, I will.

Never mind work called me to pick up some extra hours today. And I like money more than I like you guys.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Never mind work called me to pick up some extra hours today. And I like money more than I like you guys.
Yeah sorry, but we'll just have to do it without Horsehead Bill then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Yeah sorry, but we'll just have to do it without Horsehead Bill then.

I'm oddly fine with that. You guys throw yourselves at it and then I don't have to figure out any gimmicks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
According to the item store website I'm at -960 bonus points, but the issue isn't listed anywhere yet :haw:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

According to the item store website I'm at -960 bonus points, but the issue isn't listed anywhere yet :haw:

We need a :xcom: (I think that's the smiley code) thing for Funcom . Just a gif would do we don't need a real smiley just for this thread.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
So I finally got around to starting to redownload the game, according to my account I somehow ended up with over 6000 bonus Funcom bux (thanks to my lifetime sub). Aside from the issues would there be anything else to spend them on. Although I figure that would take up most of my points as I haven't played since Tyler Freeborn.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This... this is not good content.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

This... this is not good content.

Dude don't ruin this for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't want to shatter your dreams, I'm sorry, but this is pretty bad in my opinion. But I'm sure some people will like it.

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

So I finally got around to starting to redownload the game, according to my account I somehow ended up with over 6000 bonus Funcom bux (thanks to my lifetime sub). Aside from the issues would there be anything else to spend them on. Although I figure that would take up most of my points as I haven't played since Tyler Freeborn.
There were three issues which go for 960 points since Tyler Freeborn which was free for you, so you should have some left to buy clothes or pets with if you want. There are some AP and SP boosters which can be useful to some people, but generally nothing in the store really stands out.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

Go to account management (register.thesecretworld.com) and turn on an option called "Enable DLC Autobuy". The bonus points you each month eventually expire, and this makes you automatically buy each Issue when it comes out so that it doesn't matter, though you might still need to claim it in the store.

(yes it's stupid that this isn't automatically enabled)

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

For Endgame, what stats should I put on glyphs if I'm a tank? I'm working my Block up past 300, but what about Defence, Hit, Pen. and Evade, etc.?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kumo posted:

For Endgame, what stats should I put on glyphs if I'm a tank? I'm working my Block up past 300, but what about Defence, Hit, Pen. and Evade, etc.?

There's two schools of thought on that. Rhan can give you the offensive stats but I run the old meta of the defensive tank. My stats are a head and two majors for attack rating the rest are HP pieces. I don't have any good raid talismans (Cheston :argh:) so it's all custom gear with mostly blue signets because purples are too much hassle/pax. My majors have blue vigors which puts me at 9511 HP. The head and one major are hit rating which puts me high enough I can still reliably impair in hell dungeons without fever pitch. I have one pen glyph but I've been thinking about removing it for Evade :effort: though. My Defense/Block is an even split at 650ish each. I don't hit as hard as Rhan does but it's easy to keep me alive.

The minors are a Salvation, Ablation and Swords. The swords is because I took a spergy guys advice that the thing would add a ton of DPS and make me do way better but it was kind of worthless. I just don't know what else to put there.

And I have a breaching on my head which I also use for DPSing.

Is my gear optimal? Not really but its functional.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Okay, the Elite Solo difficulty is downright pleasant in 10.4.4+ gear. I had 12/12 survivors and completed a bonus objective, got 5 Aurei from looting bosses and 15 from getting Platinum on the scoreboard. So, for anyone who's been doing Nightmares, you literally do only have to do four scenarios to get the Tokyo certification.

Nightmare Solo difficulty is atrocious, we'll see how the rest pan out. This actually hasn't been at all buggy for me, so that's nice. I think that I did just have fun.

Kumo posted:

This is gonna be a long post, but the first few words of each section should work if you're in a hurry. (Get 650 Hit and 800+ Block and you're set on a lot of stuff.)

You'll want 650 hit- we've found that's when you pretty much eliminate glances (which for tanks, means eliminating failed impairs) in nightmare dungeons other than Hell Raised (in which you'll want to equip Fever Pitch). I recommend you put Hit on Attack pieces that you can share with any DPS set you make, since you'll also want 650 hit as a DPS in order to keep Lethality up. Putting this on two Major talismans is a good idea, because if you ever get two Astral Fuses, you can get something like 656 hit by upgrading two Major Hit glyphs to .5. I recommend glyphing a Ring and a Neck piece, because one of the two NY Raid tanking talismans worth getting goes on your Wrist, and you won't be able to use that in a DPS set. (Also, in the meantime, you can have 1/2 to 1/4 of a Minor be Hit as well to push yourself over 650.)

Go for 800 Block at first- you can try to squeeze in more later on. I have 930, and an extra talisman I can swap out with my Pen talisman to get to 1100.

Have 200-300 Penetration- it greatly reduces the amount your attacks will be Blocked (not as bad as glancing, but still a loss of DPS). This is the most easily sacrificed stat if you're just starting out, since it's not usually necessary to keep Debilitate up.

I recommend glyphing a Minor talisman with Physical Protection (this will give you 180 of it), because Protection increases the effect of Blocks and reduces the damage when you're Penetrated. With one Minor talisman and the passive 'Hardcase', you will be comfortably into the diminishing returns of the stat and take obscenely little damage. (Eventually, you can make a duplicate of that talisman and glyph it with Magical Protection, and swap back and forth depending on the fight. Pretty much every fight has one of the two damage types dominant.) Don't put this on your Belt, because one of the two NY Raid tank talismans worth getting is a belt, and you're probably not getting two of those to swap between.

If you're going for Block with a little bit of Protection, you can ignore Defence and Evade. I haven't found a single fight in the game where enemies have a high Pen chance and a low Crit chance or vice versa- usually it's both or neither, so it's better to be solid in one form of mitigation to generally reduce damage AND make sure that you never get critically hit and penetrated at once.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Thanks for the advice.

Looking around online there's a lot of old information that doesn't seem to be accurate anymore, so this is really helpful. I had heard in game & out that Block was what you needed to get up and have been lucky enough to get a few good pieces that capitalize on that.

After about a week or two after clearing Gatekeeper in my tanking gear I'm at:

Hit: 53
Pen: 246
Evade: 26
Defence: 33
Block: 554

I need to even it out of course, but at this point you take what 10.x you can get.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If there is a goon tanking spectrum, Len (EvilBillMurray) and myself (Rhan) make up the two ends of that spectrum. Cheston is pretty much right on the middle. Both gave great advice and as I don't want to repeat them, I'll simply add in my .02 about being a tank that tries to push their DPS numbers as much as possible.

Basically take what Cheston said about gear, swap out the Luck talisman for a DPS talisman (eventually Subway Tokens from the NY raid), and drop the protection for more penetration rating.

Goals for a DPS focused tank:

Hit: 650
Block: 750+
Penetration: 750+

Its most important to get your Hit and Block to the target levels first, but make sure to use a tool like TSWcalc to plan out your long term goals with regards to gear.

As a DPS tank you push Pen hard, between Ashes of Elder Things as your head talisman, Signet of Breaching on your weapon, Iron Maiden, and a 600+ pen rating you do reasonable damage (better than your average pubbie DPSer in most cases) and still perform all the tanking functions your group needs. There are many fights in 18s that I can consistently break 1.4k which is my "Target DPS" for this build.

I disagree with Cheston on the NY Raid gear that you want, I think there are four talismans worth running:

Ashes of Elder Things (Head)
Brooklyn Bracer (Wrist)
Subway Tokens (Luck)
NY Buckle (Waist)

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 8, 2013

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

Okay, the Elite Solo difficulty is downright pleasant in 10.4.4+ gear. I had 12/12 survivors and completed a bonus objective, got 5 Aurei from looting bosses and 15 from getting Platinum on the scoreboard. So, for anyone who's been doing Nightmares, you literally do only have to do four scenarios to get the Tokyo certification.

Nightmare Solo difficulty is atrocious, we'll see how the rest pan out. This actually hasn't been at all buggy for me, so that's nice. I think that I did just have fun.

I think you have the magic touch, Cheston. I'm not a good DPS by any means, but I keep going from 10 or so survivors by wave 3 to 0 when twenty mobs and/or a boss converge on two points at once and wipe the map. I think Orcane and Rasheed have had some of the same issues.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's some randomness to the scenarios, you don't always get the same types of mobs and bosses. Some of the combinations are just way harder, eg. when you get the especially hard hitting mobs, or if a filth bomb disables your fastest way between defensive camps. Mines could help but Rasheed and me were underwhelmed by them in castle/elite/duo.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

orcane posted:

There's some randomness to the scenarios, you don't always get the same types of mobs and bosses. Some of the combinations are just way harder, eg. when you get the especially hard hitting mobs, or if a filth bomb disables your fastest way between defensive camps. Mines could help but Rasheed and me were underwhelmed by them in castle/elite/duo.

Yeah, mines haven't done poo poo for me either, and they can damage friendlies, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've only done one so far, but I think the main issue with scenarios right now is that nothing is really clear or explained. Can't really heal the survivors, and you're wasting your time by trying, but that's never said! It's very AoE focused, but nothing indicates that, either!

It'll probably be a lot better once we work out what the gently caress. Because right now it looks like, for a solo scenario, I have to do everything I can conceivably do, at once, and no build is capable of that.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 8, 2013

• Locked thread