Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

When I was home, everyone kept talking about the great Thai restaurant near them, and I declined to go there every time. Everyone always laughed 'haha, yeah, pretty sick of it right?'

Not sick of it, just not interested in paying 30$ US for whatever the hell they're trying to pass off as Thai food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

xcdude24 posted:

Any specific suggestions? Heading there tomorrow.

Rat Hue, behind Ben Thanh market.
May
Cuc Gach Quan, for the good food, fresh juices and awesome deco of the place.
i.d Café for light eating and drinks in a chill hip indie place.
The famous Lunch Lady (I think Anthony Bourdain went there) for the street food experience - but if you're used to it, you can go just anywhere.

Also, KOTO, Hoa Tuc, Nha Hang Ngon on Pasteur street... These are the few I remember but the best meals were had in small typical street restaurants, there are so many.

Excellent vegetarian on Tran Dinh Xu in District 1, right next to the river (I used to live there, loved the neighborhood).

I had the best tamarind crab of my life just before leaving but I forget where it was as it's a bit remote. I can ask if you want.

There's also an awesome awesome Moroccan restaurant named Casablanca in D10. And good cheap kebabs at Zeus, on Cong Quynh (backpacker district) if you ever get tired of local food.

Senso fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 6, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Not sick of it, just not interested in paying 30$ US for whatever the hell they're trying to pass off as Thai food.
For whatever reason, even though I don't cook much, I love talking to Thai cooks about dishes, ingredients, the restaurant business and so on. One of my favorite things to do is to explain to them how much the same dish would cost in America and watch their heads explode. You can see the mental calculator going as soon as they hear, "Oh yeah, mediocre ga pow at an average place is about 250 Baht."

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Ganguro King posted:

Thailand/Bangkok goons: if I buy an iPhone 5s from a random vendor at MBK, the chances of it being a fake are pretty much zero, right? I don't want to have to wait to get it through an official carrier.

BUT WHAT ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE??? Yeah, as caberham said, fakes are easy to tell. They'll probably run on some crappy Android version. Just boot it up and check before purchasing.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Thanks for the mobile SIM info, I appreciate it.

The next question I have is about traveling from Cambodia to Vietnam. My girlfriend says we'll need to get a Vietnam visa while in Cambodia, does anyone know the best way to do this? Or maybe not s visa, but rather an approval letter for one.

I am prreeetttttyyy excited for this trip, guys. 1 week in Cambodia followed by 11 days in north Vietnam.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You can get your letter ahead of time by applying online or you can get a visa in Phnom Penh if you have time. Up you!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ReindeerF posted:

The first person to popularize Larb Moo Tort in America is going to make a loving fortune. I mean you'll have to call it Thai Spicy Balls or Thai Fireballs or Super Spicy Ultra Mega Thai Bites or whatever, but they'll sell like hotcakes. Larb Moo Tort is new enough to (most of) Bangkok that I've introduced tons of people to it, even Thai people, and every single person is like THIS IS CRACK. What's not to like, right? Take larb, mush it up in a ball and fry it - serve with nam jim jao.
Yeah, it's almost universally awful. I mean I know there are some Thai restaurants that get good reviews for it, but I've never found them. Supposedly, up in North Houston there's a place called Isaan Village or something like that where it's good.

My favorite horrible Thai dish translation back home involves everyone putting bell peppers in Ga Pow instead of basil. I mean WTF.

I have always thought that a SE Asia-style beach bar (triangle pillows, low tables, take off your shoes, Asian appetizers, and of course buckets) would do really well in certain parts of America and would be a welcome change from the norm. I know they'd do well in my hometown on the California coast, at least.

xcdude24 posted:

Any specific suggestions? Heading there tomorrow.

I have recommendations but I rarely remember the name for anything and most of my favorite places are migratory. I live here now though so if you want some tips email me, tell me where you live and what you're looking for and I'll send some tips your way! Don't miss out on the Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwiches off the street with varied fillings) and bun thit nuong (perfect for breakfast: cold noodles with veggies, pork sausage pieces or seafood or other, and delicious sauce). Sorry I don't have many specifics but I know the best bun thit nuong place in the city and I know a million banh mi places that I find delicious. Also if you want to hit the town sometimes I wouldn't mind if you joined my friends and I. robertjamesh at gmail dot com

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

PowerLlama posted:

Thanks for the mobile SIM info, I appreciate it.

The next question I have is about traveling from Cambodia to Vietnam. My girlfriend says we'll need to get a Vietnam visa while in Cambodia, does anyone know the best way to do this? Or maybe not s visa, but rather an approval letter for one.

Possibly online, as others said though I never did it myself. The Vietnam embassy in Phnom Penh delivers visas, I went there to renew mine once and it took an hour max.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
I went Cambodia->Vietnam by buying a ticket with a tourist agency. I don't remember if it was a proper visa or an approval letter or what, but whatever it was was just included in the bus ticket price and they did all the legwork.

p.s. when I say "tourist agency" I mean "the guy at the front desk of the hostel"

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Remember that the visa on arrival letter only works if you're flying into Vietnam. If you're taking a bus, nope.

Speaking of Vietnam visas, do 15 day ones really exist? I've seen a few mentions of them online but I'm not sure. It would be perfect for me since I mainly need a visa to catch my flight home (oh god it's so soon I'm not ready to go back home in December)

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I think I'm going to try the embassy in Phnom Penh, thanks again! Will I need to bring a passport photo with me?

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Tomato Soup posted:

My visa expired on the 30th of October so this wouldn't have worked as a cheap way to add time for me. I got upset for a second thinking that I went to the Samui immigration office for no reason but then :v:

And I just got a massive email about Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha :psyduck: I'm just wondering which hostel or whatever they got my email from. I think I'm going to give hostels a different email from now on so I don't get more poo poo like that.

Was it from samohtjohnson@gmail.com? I got the same email and I was trying to work out why it was sent to me and how I ended up on a Sam Rainsy mailing list...

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

imnotinsane posted:

Was it from samohtjohnson@gmail.com? I got the same email and I was trying to work out why it was sent to me and how I ended up on a Sam Rainsy mailing list...
Mine was from a Walter Birsa at aquaman289@gmail.com

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
How's the job market in Bangkok for expats with fruity skills like community work and writing/editing?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Pixelante posted:

How's the job market in Bangkok for expats with fruity skills like community work and writing/editing?

I don't know the Bangkok job market well, but ReindeerF has mentioned that English editing jobs with law firms exist, and I've seen a few postings in the Bangkok Post. The handful I've seen posted didn't require law experience, but focused more on copy-editing/English-language abilities and paid upwards of 50,000 baht/month. Not sure what you mean by community work, but most paid social work type positions are done by Thai nationals or at least Thai speakers. Overall, I'd check out Thai NGO or Devnet to get an idea of NGO/nonprofit positions in the area. For a foreigner without Thai or a STEM/medical background I'd suggest looking into program administration, grant management or communications positions, and focus on regional think tanks, refugee/migrant and public health NGOs. Bangkok has the bulk of them and the highest pay, but you could also possibly find similar work in Chiang Mai, the Thai/Burma border area (Mae Sot, Sanghklaburi) or around the big MHS loop towns if you're willing to hunt on the ground for a month or two and maybe start with a local salary. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

edit:

DontAskKant posted:

motorbike around in Burma because screw this trains.

I assume you're good at biking because the roads are generally the worst of any SEA countries, and parts the hardest to get. You'll also have to start outside of Yangon, since bikes are banned in the city. Also, Burma has some screwy restrictions on where foreigners can stay and visit, so you'll probably be traveling just about as fast as the trains in routes roughly similar to the trains. Your call, though, since it could be a great experience. As for visas, you need to have your Burma visa before arrival (get it in your home country or Bangkok), and you can also enter/exit the country overland via Thailand now, so you might want to take that into consideration.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 7, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pixelante posted:

I don't know what community work is.

I knew a couple of people who did low end writing and editing. Both had jobs that at least nominally were higher up than what they did before (Oh you wrote for a magazine? Now you're an editor.) Both made basically English teacher money. Both had their employers fold on them after a some months. I have no idea if these anecdotes are related to an overall reality or not.

Ajarn.com has (had?) a non English teaching work forum. Maybe crosscheck there after everyone here chips in.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 7, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I can ride a bicycle well and spent 3 hours motorbiking around Saigon as my whole experience of it. So...

I can ride a horse fairly well.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't know what community work is.

Things like volunteer coordination, managing charity projects, organizing events, etc. Social workers are also community workers (as in people who build/help communities) but my skills are more management/administrative.

I also have a post-bach diploma in Journalism and have worked as an editor, so that'd probably be a direction I'd try if I decided to stick around longer. I'm supposed to go home at the end of December, but I'm slightly less of a broken wreck than I was when I left Canada, and I'm tempted to just stay and let that ride a bit longer before I go back. I'd forgotten what it was like to not feel like poo poo all the time. I don't want to go back to that.

Seems like half the expats I've met here are clearly damaged in some way. (But goddamn the missionary ones are a special kind of hosed up.) My supervisor here (not the cow) lost his wife and kids in NZ and has been living here since.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Play posted:

I have always thought that a SE Asia-style beach bar (triangle pillows, low tables, take off your shoes, Asian appetizers, and of course buckets) would do really well in certain parts of America and would be a welcome change from the norm. I know they'd do well in my hometown on the California coast, at least.
I agree completely. When I returned home from my first visit, my thought was that a bar back home called Khao San near a university that looked like every wooden/triangle pillow/incense burning beach bar would pack in the students. I still bet it would, maybe even more with a decade's worth of popularization of Thai food under the nation's belt.

MothraAttack posted:

I don't know the Bangkok job market well, but ReindeerF has mentioned that English editing jobs with law firms exist, and I've seen a few postings in the Bangkok Post. The handful I've seen posted didn't require law experience, but focused more on copy-editing/English-language abilities and paid upwards of 50,000 baht/month.
Yeah, pretty much this. If you're a PR writer or something, there are also jobs with hotel groups and the like doing social media and press release writing work, but that's a different kind of writing, really. Still, sitting around writing canned responses to TripAdvisor reviews as mediocre as most of them is not exactly rocket science. "Dear Customer, Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that..."

MothraAttack posted:

Not sure what you mean by community work
It's like being a small town Mayor, ya kno, but without actual responsibilities :j:

MothraAttack posted:

Overall, I'd check out Thai NGO or Devnet to get an idea of NGO/nonprofit positions in the area.
This is much more your area, but my first thought was, "Just go to Cambodia."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 7, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
50,000 bhat is high or low for those jobs? If high then i still can't live in SE Asia with student loans.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

ReindeerF posted:

When I finally get round to writing a new thread this is going to be in the title.

gently caress it, that'll just be the OP.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

50,000 bhat is high or low for those jobs? If high then i still can't live in SE Asia with student loans.
50,000 would be considered a high salary for anyone here who doesn't A) have specialized in-demand experience in a scarce field B) isn't on an expat package C) doesn't own their own business D) doesn't have a contract with a top international school or other non-business organization that pays something remotely close to international wages E) doesn't work for an international hotel in an international job or F) isn't an internationally educated and well-connected Thai person.

The average (non-ag) wage here is something like 12,000 Baht a month, with most starting jobs around 10,000. College kids are lucky to make 12-18k out of university. So, for foreigners, the starting wage for teachers, I think, is around 20K at the low end, where many reside, and gets up into the 100+K range if you're at ISB or Bangkok Pattana or are a professor or dean or something. For other professions, it varies widely. This is all Bangkok numbers. Outside of Bangkok it's a different story, pretty much. Cost of living plummets and wages follow, with maybe some exceptions for specialized hospitality industry positions in Phuket, Samui, etc.

EDIT: You can make more here pretty easily, but you either need to start your own business or you need to have highly applicable skills and network well. Teaching, writing, basic web work and various design fields are heavily oversaturated here. The biggest mistake most people make is that they don't professionally network - join organizations, attend events, take people to lunch and so on. It's not that much work and while you seriously have to pick through the poo poo to get to the corn here in Thailand, you can sort out who's who pretty well within about a year of living here. Up front, though, you're going to meet a bunch of scammers and sexpats and so on, it's just part of the deal.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 7, 2013

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Scuba diving instructors make about 40,000 to 70,000 per month on average on Koh Tao, by comparison.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Is that seasonal? I know people who run island businesses and they make most of their money in the high seasons, typically, but none of them are SCUBA people, so I have no idea about that world.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

eviljelly posted:

Scuba diving instructors make about 40,000 to 70,000 per month on average on Koh Tao, by comparison.

I'm surprised it's that high.

DontAskKant posted:

My non-international school jobs that I had like six years ago in Thailand paid between 40 and 55kB a month. Of course this was when it took 40B to get you a dollar :argh:. The 55k one is upper end for the low end.

Lots of Thai nurses make like 18k a month if that. Lawyers maybe 120k or so, which is about what a teacher on a good international school package makes. Lots of the Thai people I consort with here in the Thai expat ghetto of NYC worked high end jobs in Thailand -- managerial, health care, etc. Most of them make vastly more being waitresses or waiters here part time while they go to some dumb EFL school to maintain their visa. Every time I tell one of the little nurses here that in the US nurses make about 50 an hour their faces do weird stuff.

You can make more if you're in the right field. You can also make a decent amount running certain types of businesses (not gogo bars) (well maybe gogo bars but I don't know about that). I had a British friend there whose only job for the last decade had been to buy silver body jewelry in Thailand, carry it on his back back to England, and sell it there at about a 6x markup (usual luxury markup goes 4x from distributor then 4x from distributor to businesses, so he was offering them stuff at 50% off what they could usually find, give or take). He made a lot more money than me and only really "worked" intermittently.

Pixelante posted:

Seems like half the expats I've met here are clearly damaged in some way.

That's about right, and it applies to the lady expats too :byodame:

Of those half about half again are damaged in a way that's acceptable / redeemable / interesting. But from thereon hoo boy

I just mentioned Frank a few pages ago, I think. Ahh, Frank. Franky boy.

raton fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 7, 2013

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm surprised it's that high.

ReindeerF posted:

Is that seasonal? I know people who run island businesses and they make most of their money in the high seasons, typically, but none of them are SCUBA people, so I have no idea about that world.

Yeah it's a little bit seasonal and it really depends on the dive shop. Typically you get paid per 'tank' or per course, so if you work for one of those dive shops that pack 10 people into a single group, you are making 10 times more money than if you have only 1 customer that day. I would guess the regular instructors at those dive shops can make 150,000+ per month. I'm guessing in the next 5 years or so there will be more Thais who get into dive instructing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quoting from another thread:

kenner116 posted:

I'll be in Manila from Sunday through Tuesday if any goons want to drink cheap beers and discuss why this is ReindeerF's favorite city. The Philippines will also be hosting a super typhoon tomorrow. Sadly they do not have the equivalent of Li's Field.

Any other Manila goons willing to brave the elements on Sunday?

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 7, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

anakha posted:

Any other Manila goons willing to brave the elements on Sunday?

It's a shame because if there's any time you want to drive to Manila coming from the north, it's on a Sunday. Oh well, enjoy and warn them about getting on buses!

EDIT: Huh, is alcohol still comparatively cheap here in the Phils? Ever since the sin tax got passed, I've been using it as an excuse to drink Corona instead of Pale Pilsen all the time.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 7, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

toasterwarrior posted:

It's a shame because if there's any time you want to drive to Manila coming from the north, it's on a Sunday. Oh well, enjoy and warn them about getting on buses!

EDIT: Huh, is alcohol still comparatively cheap here in the Phils? Ever since the sin tax got passed, I've been using it as an excuse to drink Corona instead of Pale Pilsen all the time.

Alchohol is still cheap. As are cigarettes.

As for Sunday, I might be up for braving the elements. I don't work until Monday night \o/

Where in Manila are you staying though? Most people don't realize that Manila is like 20 cities smashed together.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

As for Sunday, I might be up for braving the elements. I don't work until Monday night \o/

Where in Manila are you staying though? Most people don't realize that Manila is like 20 cities smashed together.

I'll be staying at Red Carabao, up near the huge Chinese cemetery.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

kenner116 posted:

I'll be staying at Red Carabao, up near the huge Chinese cemetery.

Looks like somewhere in Makati would be the best place to meet as usual.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Depriving the masses of beer and cigarettes by pricing these out of their meager budgets is a surefire way to start riots over here.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

So, tropical storm warnings for SE Asia?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pixelante posted:

So, tropical storm warnings for SE Asia?
Yeah, it rained for hours and hours last night in Bangkok and it's been grey and looks rainy today. Ugh.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, or this. PP has a ton of NGO positions, but what I've heard from veterans and what I've seen online it seems to be a weird mix of gap year kids doing semi-serious work for nothing or next to nothing and highly qualified development specialists and the like on the other hand. The consensus seems to be that there's probably more "help" in PP than is needed, but I don't know the real situation on the ground and it's hard to say. Lots of cool stuff going on there, though, and it's a great city. If anyone is interested, I see the Mon National Health Committee is hiring an English trainer for January in Sangkhlaburi, but I don't know pay details. Could be interesting for the right person.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Looks like somewhere in Makati would be the best place to meet as usual.

Makati is fine. I'll take the MRT/LRT down and hopefully won't get too lost down there. This will be my first time in the Philippines so I'm expecting that by only visiting Manila I will get a positive and representative view of the entire country.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MothraAttack posted:

Yeah, or this. PP has a ton of NGO positions, but what I've heard from veterans and what I've seen online it seems to be a weird mix of gap year kids doing semi-serious work for nothing or next to nothing and highly qualified development specialists and the like on the other hand. The consensus seems to be that there's probably more "help" in PP than is needed, but I don't know the real situation on the ground and it's hard to say. Lots of cool stuff going on there, though, and it's a great city. If anyone is interested, I see the Mon National Health Committee is hiring an English trainer for January in Sangkhlaburi, but I don't know pay details. Could be interesting for the right person.
I kind of have the same feeling talking to people in Phnom Penh. It's considered the gravy train assignment you get as the capstone for your career or the gap year trustafarian present from mummy and daddy while you pad your resume. Still, yeah, so many orgs there and plenty of homegrown poo poo you can wander into, so I dunno.

Sangkhlaburi would be beautiful. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

kenner116 posted:

Makati is fine. I'll take the MRT/LRT down and hopefully won't get too lost down there. This will be my first time in the Philippines so I'm expecting that by only visiting Manila I will get a positive and representative view of the entire country.

Just text me on 09053129067 when you want to meet up.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
HELLO MAM SIR HOW ARE JOO THANK JOO FOR GIBBING ME EZACK CHANGE

I miss the Phils sometimes. I'll be back next year for a good Pinoy friend's wedding up in La Onion, as we call it. I'll have to catch up with you in-the-know Manila types when I'm there if you're amenable.

EDIT: Every time I rode the MRT/LRT, once we got out of CBD areas everyone on the train would just stare at me, like, "Why does the Kano not have a car?" I never felt the least bit unsafe on there, but my Pinoy friends were always warning me about it. Based on the locked equipment room we kept at the office, though, the buses, Jeepneys and FXes weren't exactly crime-free, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: Every time I rode the MRT/LRT, once we got out of CBD areas everyone on the train would just stare at me, like, "Why does the Kano not have a car?" I never felt the least bit unsafe on there, but my Pinoy friends were always warning me about it. Based on the locked equipment room we kept at the office, though, the buses, Jeepneys and FXes weren't exactly crime-free, sadly.

Oh certainly not. All it takes in something as cramped as a jeepney is a dude to sit beside you and pull out a weapon and that's it. You barely have enough room to move your head in one, much less try and escape. My bro got his phone stolen from him once by some piece of poo poo that way.

Hell, I'm surprised there hasn't been that much reports of fighting or crime in the metro stations. That poo poo gets really packed, and you even see idiots shoving and clustering by the entrances when there's plenty of room and bars to hold on to in the aisles.