Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ulilileeloo dallas posted:

listen pal maybe you dont know but youre talking to the smartest kid in america. he is the source.

heavily biased though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

1.5 billion? source??

source: tv ratings for the pokemon anime that is still in the top 10 most popular kid's cartoons globally for like 15 years straight plus the 245 million copies of pokemon games sold not to mention all of them that have been pirated + dragonball z being one of the mos t popular series of all time and continually gets rerun.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Install Windows posted:

source: tv ratings for the pokemon anime that is still in the top 10 most popular kid's cartoons globally for like 15 years straight plus the 245 million copies of pokemon games sold not to mention all of them that have been pirated + dragonball z being one of the mos t popular series of all time and continually gets rerun.
still skeptical that a quarter of the world's population has watched the pokemon anime but i don't really care one way or the other, might as well take your word for it given that you're fishmech and i'm not

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

still skeptical that a quarter of the world's population has watched the pokemon anime but i don't really care one way or the other, might as well take your word for it given that you're fishmech and i'm not

no, its that they've watched that anime or dragonball or played any of the games involved or pirated all the above

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I love fishmech

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Install Windows posted:

my god

its full of fishmechs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

and as i am being serious as well, the only people who would care about the NextStep reference in the anime would be people who already watched, were studying, or were interested in / curious about the anime. Nobody who on their own choice went to the Nextstep article about Nextstep for the topic of Nextstep would want to learn about an anime's inside references to the OS. It's spam. The anime had 0 influence, bearing on or connection to the OS in any way.

wikipedia should forbid "references in popular culture" entirely on the pages of the things being referenced. the simpsons did an alfred hitchcock joke? put it on the simpsons page. you don't get to make an appearance on someone else's page just because you mentioned them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they should do like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raven_in_popular_culture

easier to avoid if you dgaf

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Carthag posted:

they should do like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raven_in_popular_culture

easier to avoid if you dgaf
gonna ignore the james and webcomics to post this instead:

quote:

Lord Buckley recorded a "hipsemantic" version of "The Raven" in 1956 ("It was a real drugged midnight... dreary.").

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yanno, the simpsons writers or like the xkcd guy could take over wikipedia by just referencing as many things as possible in every episode they churn out. obscure mathematical topic? check. the 1989 chicago bulls? check. aspergillus tychorum? check

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://www.wikihow.com/Appreciate-Authentic-Death-or-Black-Metal

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
i'm dumb

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Learn about why an album is contextually important. A great place to start is the Dark Legions Archive, at http://www.anus.com/metal. Consult the sections on Philosophy, History, and Styles first. Make sure to bring a dictionary.

...i could quote the whole thing really it's beautiful

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

yeah we know

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There was some controversy reported in India as some people were upset with the cat's name. In July 2004, demonstrators in the southern Keralian city of Thiruvananthapuram denounced the cat's name as an insult to the nation of India, and burned an effigy of President Bush in protest.[2][3]

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Install Windows posted:

fishmech have you considered the overlap betwenn the players and the watchers
the plus 245 million could be like two people

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TINA TURNER posted:

fishmech have you considered the overlap betwenn the players and the watchers
the plus 245 million could be like two people
i was going to bring up that it's all one big venn diagram myself but that would have meant arguing with fishmech

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i was going to bring up that it's all one big venn diagram myself but that would have meant arguing with fishmech

fish stymie

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
See also[edit]

4chan
Anonymous (group)
Digg
Facepunch
Fark.com
News aggregator
O RLY?
Reddit
Slashdot
Slender Man

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
did we really do that?? :sigh:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

did we really do that?? :sigh:

The phrase "O RLY?" was used on the Something Awful Forums at least as early as August 2003.[6] The original "O RLY?" Snowy Owl image macro is based on a photo taken by nature photographer John White, which he posted to the newsgroup alt.binaries.pictures.animals in 2001.[7] According to White, the owl's expression in the photo was due to the bird panting to cool off, similar to a dog.[8] The expression was interpreted by an unidentified person to say "oh really?", and the phrase O RLY? was added in large letters (using a font similar to Kabel) at the bottom of the image. The O RLY? owl quickly became a standard retort to disputed statements to express disbelief,[9] and was followed by other owl image macros with phrases such as "YA RLY", "NO WAI!", "SRSLY?" and a number of others.[8]
Outside of Internet forums, O RLY? has been referenced in various video games, including World of Warcraft in which the auctioneer characters O’Reely and Yarly are a reference to "O RLY?" and "YA RLY!", respectively.[10]

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

literally the first image macro

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

There was some controversy reported in India as some people were upset with the cat's name. In July 2004, demonstrators in the southern Keralian city of Thiruvananthapuram denounced the cat's name as an insult to the nation of India, and burned an effigy of President Bush in protest.[2][3]

happened to me except in dublin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Orbi posted:

literally the first image macro

img-timeline

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Carthag posted:

img-timeline

like technically it was advice dog wasn't it? i mean the first modern one but orly was p much the genesis of that poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

probably. i dont remember half this stuff any more

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I don't speak music theory but what the hell is this:

The song has a double tonic structure of B major verse (in I-vi-ii-V cycles) and A major chorus connected by formal pivoting dominant chords.[14] In the opening bars in B major, after singing "In Penny Lane" (in an F#-B-C#-D# melody note ascent) McCartney uses major 3rds[clarification needed Do you mean harmony intervals, III chords, melody notes?] (on "Lane" and "Pocket") and major 7ths[clarification needed same issue] (on "a fireman" and "a portrait") then switches to a Bm key involving flattened 3rd notes (on "Queen" with a i7 [Bm7] chord) and flattened 7th notes (on "engine clean" [with a ♭VImaj7 [Gmaj7] chord] and "clean machine" [with a V7sus4 [F#7sus4] chord]).[15] This has been described as a profound and surprising innovation involving abandoning mid-cycle what initially appears to be a standard I-vi-ii-V Doo Wop pop chord cycle.[16] To get from the verse "In the pouring rain - very strange" McCartney uses an E chord as a pivot, (it is a IV chord in the preceding B key and a V in the looming A key) to take listeners back into the chorus ("Penny Lane is in my ears..."). Likewise to get back from the chorus of "There beneath the blue suburban skies I sit, and meanwhile back..., McCartney uses an F#7 pivot chord (which is a VI in the old A key and a V in the new B key). The lyrics "very strange" and "meanwhile back" can be viewed as hinting at these complex tonal changes.[17]

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
i understood way more about that than i should

music theory is really weird, a lot of songs are just composed by loving Around Until It Sounds Good or small clips that pop into an artists head. dissecting why it sounds good and the patterns/key changes that make a song catchy is cool and all but its spergy as all hell and leads to students directly applying the knowledge to try to make music and while it never sounds bad, it just sounds flat and lifeless.

(i studied it a bunch in high school)

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i took piano lessons too

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

axolotl farmer posted:

I don't speak music theory but what the hell is this:

chord analysis

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Sham bam bamina! posted:

1.5 billion? source??

source: fishmech

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

mcnealys baby posted:

source: fishmech wikipedia

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
fishipedia

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Light bulb" redirects here. For other uses, see Light bulb (disambiguation).

Inexplicably, it does not redirect here.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

i understood way more about that than i should

music theory is really weird, a lot of songs are just composed by loving Around Until It Sounds Good or small clips that pop into an artists head. dissecting why it sounds good and the patterns/key changes that make a song catchy is cool and all but its spergy as all hell and leads to students directly applying the knowledge to try to make music and while it never sounds bad, it just sounds flat and lifeless.

(i studied it a bunch in high school)

yeah

like analysing the stock market in retrospect you can draw all sorts of formulas etc but you cant predioct. terrible analogy but music theory is cool

in pigs on a wing part 1 the chords go c-csus4-c g-gsus4-g but in part 2 it goes c-f-c g-gsus4-g but then you look at it and csus4 is very simular to f so its very cool i likey

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
if ur music sounds flat just raise the pitch a little nbd

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Install Windows posted:

if ur music sounds flat just tighten up the sonics on octave three

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In the extended version of the film, Elwood parks the Bluesmobile in an electric substation that was used to power Chicago's elevated trains. In the documentary "Stories Behind the Making of the Blues Brothers", Dan Aykroyd (Elwood) stated that the Bluesmobile would get charged from the substation, which would explain how it would be able to do impressive stunts. In the original theatrical release, director John Landis had cut that scene to shorten the length of the film and said there was no need to explain the car's powers. To him, it was simply "a magic car" and of course, they were on a mission from God. A power station was visible in the background of the film's poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

dan aykroyd has the worst ideas about scripts