Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The one pizza place I've ever worked in had frozen gluten free bases for the occasional orders that would come in. All I remember is they shattered super easy and occassionally you'd end up with maybe 3 sellable bases out of a both of 12. They'd normally get blamed on me if they where broken which is part of the reason why I decided to stop showing up on a permanent basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I can't wait for this fad to be over with.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's weird how huge the market has always been for something that tastes like/is nothing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plan Z posted:

I can't wait for this fad to be over with.

I can. I get that chefs and cooks get all these annoying and ridiculous demands, but it certainly makes eating out easier for two legit GF friends of mine.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Splizwarf posted:

It's weird how huge the market has always been for something that tastes like/is nothing.
It reminds me eerily of Good Omens, by Gaiman & Pratchett. Famine doesn't work by cutting off the food supply. Instead, he sells these zero calories meal replacement thingies, makes billions, and people are clamouring to buy his "food" and starve to death.
------------------

And this is a review for Il Mulino, which is a place that can run you around $500 for one person's dinner. Ugh. Clearly, class cannot be bought.

dino. fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 8, 2013

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

dino. posted:

And this is a review for Il Mulino, which is a place that can run you around $500 for one person's dinner. Ugh. Clearly, class cannot be bought.
That horrifying to read as a host. I can understand a bad day, but even on the worst day you should be smiling and polite in front of the customer because it's the goddamn job. It really does enforce how important first impressions are.

I just finished a 9-day-straight run with 4 double shifts. I'm exhausted, and all I really do is smile prettily, take customers to seats, and check in coats. You chefs (and Wrought) are insane.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Kimitsu posted:

That horrifying to read as a host. I can understand a bad day, but even on the worst day you should be smiling and polite in front of the customer because it's the goddamn job. It really does enforce how important first impressions are.

I just finished a 9-day-straight run with 4 double shifts. I'm exhausted, and all I really do is smile prettily, take customers to seats, and check in coats. You chefs (and Wrought) are insane.

I love how I am included with my own special category. And yes, I am most certainly insane. :-)

Anyway, I've found myself with an abundance of free time to think about my future. I realized what any one of you probably could have told me- that working for nasty people to the point of mental collapse and then getting fired for being crazy is not a sound career plan. I'm going to file for unemployment (go ahead and argue it was a justifiable termination, assholes, I loving dare you) and then find a place that just does lunch and is run well by sane people. Either that or find a field where I can use my talents and skills to work 9-5 and get paid a lot of money. You would think that the ability to turn angry customers into happy repeat customers would have applications somewhere other than the "people skills" bullet on my resume, but so far I haven't come up with anything.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Wroughtirony posted:

I love how I am included with my own special category. And yes, I am most certainly insane. :-)

Anyway, I've found myself with an abundance of free time to think about my future. I realized what any one of you probably could have told me- that working for nasty people to the point of mental collapse and then getting fired for being crazy is not a sound career plan. I'm going to file for unemployment (go ahead and argue it was a justifiable termination, assholes, I loving dare you) and then find a place that just does lunch and is run well by sane people. Either that or find a field where I can use my talents and skills to work 9-5 and get paid a lot of money. You would think that the ability to turn angry customers into happy repeat customers would have applications somewhere other than the "people skills" bullet on my resume, but so far I haven't come up with anything.

So, wait, if you get a non-kitchen job, is it still a new thread?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, wait, if you get a non-kitchen job, is it still a new thread?

Are you kidding me? Can you imagine Wrought in corporate America? It'd be like every single trainwreck thread all rolled into one (no offense Wrought). Consider my interest piqued.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Are you kidding me? Can you imagine Wrought in corporate America? It'd be like every single trainwreck thread all rolled into one (no offense Wrought). Consider my interest piqued.

Wrougt, if you like long hours, poo poo pay, and little recognition, but without the fire hazard, I recomend politics.

Oh, also rampant alcoholism.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Midniter posted:

None taken. I'm surprisingly sane in person. I even own several flattering work outfits complete with blazers, several dresses and some nice jewelry! Plus I've worked in the FOH enough to be able to control my vocabulary when I need to. I think the hardest thing about working an office job would be all the sitting down. You simply don't sit down at work. (Unless you're making GBS threads. Always poo poo on the clock.) I'll probably end up in corporate dining again. In the meantime, I'm taking a few more weeks off to actually take care of my mental health instead of reenacting Hyperbole and a Half cartoons.

After school special time:
Seriously- take care of yourselves physically and mentally. Nobody is going to give you a gold medal for working yourself to death. You just eventually end up broken somehow. No matter how much you love the industry, the industry does not love you. Not even a little.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wroughtirony posted:

Seriously- take care of yourselves physically and mentally. Nobody is going to give you a gold medal for working yourself to death. You just eventually end up broken somehow. No matter how much you love the industry, the industry does not love you. Not even a little.

How do you do that on kitchen wages is always the question.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The Restaurant Industry Thread: 2 Parts Battered Spouse Syndrome, 1 Part Crushing Poverty, 7 Parts Bitters. Serve shaken in hope-crusted lowball. Sláinte.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

Liquid Communism posted:

The chef at one of our places just had surgery for a hernia and some blood clot thing in his legs and is out for a few weeks. I'm sure working 70 hours week for the past eight years were a major contributing factor.

Our medical insurance won't cover the procedure because they claim it's a preexisting condition, so we negotiated to pay cash for a 20% discount. Owner's response? "I love the guy like family, but what if he dies or the surgery doesn't work, do we still have to pay?" This is for a procedure that costs under $10k.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Liquid Communism posted:

You go spend some time in the free mental health ward and then take advantage of all the free drugs you can get because you're poor as poo poo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Couldn't agree more. Like I said, this industry was a not-insignificant factor in me getting cancer. I was lucky in that I live in Canada, and that psychiatric care is covered when it is considered due to the cancer. For those of you without coverage, I can't imagine what it would be like.

EDIT: My brother is still in the industry, but he recently got a promotion, a raise by 20% and is now doing the day work so he's gotten very lucky.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Industry Thread: Where we are more likely to check into the loony bin than go to the ER for a mere flesh wound.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wroughtirony posted:

(Unless you're making GBS threads. Always poo poo on the clock.)

What do you have against clocks?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So my roommate works as a server at the restaurant I left about 6 months ago. Last night he hosed another server, in the bathroom, on the clock, shortly after the rush broke.

I'm not sure if there's any meaningful takeaway from this story.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Kenning posted:

So my roommate works as a server at the restaurant I left about 6 months ago. Last night he hosed another server, in the bathroom, on the clock, shortly after the rush broke.

We can now debate which is better. Taking a poo poo on the clock or loving on the clock. At first it seems obvious but only at first.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skinny King Pimp posted:

You go spend some time in the free mental health ward and then take advantage of all the free drugs you can get because you're poor as poo poo.

I should look into that.

Just got informed that while we're going to close for retail, Chef doesn't want to tell our breakfast clients 'no', so I'm working Black Friday, Christmas Day, and NYE.

Getting to the time of year where I don't see the sun for a couple months, and that really does bad things. Time to buy a case of whiskey and settle in to a nice focused hatred of the holidays while producing festive baked goods.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I hate the holiday season. Goddamn 70 hour weeks just so random companies can spend more money than I make in a year on food alone, and I get stuck working their carving stations and putting on that fake goddamn smile and have to tell them how glad I am that they are there, having fun, while I haven't spent any time with my wife in over a week.

I really need a vacation. Or a new job.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Kenning posted:

It's called "you don't care about your job, that's what after hours on the bar top is for". Still :golfclap:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

To be fair he had someone watching his section.

CdC I thought you liked your restaurant gig?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Kenning posted:

To be fair he had someone watching his section.

CdC I thought you liked your restaurant gig?

I do, we've just been short staffed for like the past 6 months, and I'm getting stretched thin. Things will get better as soon as I've got these new guys trained, and the new menu rolled out.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Liquid Communism posted:

Getting to the time of year where I don't see the sun for a couple months, and that really does bad things. Time to buy a case of whiskey and settle in to a nice focused hatred of the holidays while producing festive baked goods.

Hate makes the holiday cheer really come through.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kimitsu posted:

Hate makes the holiday cheer really come through.

Especially when I was supposed to be on days, so now I get to tell my family that no, I don't actually get to come to any of the holiday events for the third year running!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Especially when I was supposed to be on days, so now I get to tell my family that no, I don't actually get to come to any of the holiday events for the third year running!

If I get you in GWSSS you're getting a light therapy box and a bottle of whiskey.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wroughtirony posted:

If I get you in GWSSS you're getting a light therapy box and a bottle of whiskey.

Those light therapy boxes are a GODSEND, as are full spectrum lightbulbs for the whole entire house. This season would have been utter torture without.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

At the least, the waiter from Africa who speaks French who got fired for political reasons has texted me saying he wants to get me a job as a waiter at a place so busy even he can't handle the workload.

I'll handle it. Gladly. After hearing one server go "wow I only made $150" today I'll loving TAKE it. I'll work all the holidays too, if only because I like any excuse to not spend time with my family.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

I may have to look into light therapy. I've been getting by on making whimsical rum drinks and spending a couple hours a day in the gym.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I may have to look into light therapy. I've been getting by on making whimsical rum drinks and spending a couple hours a day in the gym.

(rum. noted.)

Seriously try it. Being a crazy person, I meet a lot of people who have tried various therapies for various things, and I have heard nothing but raves from people who have done (and actually stuck with) light therapy. Even those sunrise alarm clocks seem to help a lot of people with getting out of bed in their "morning." There's also drugs, but those don't always play well with alcohol.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Alcohol, nicotine, and 430am Fujanese food is all the drugs I need thank you very much.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Alcohol, nicotine, and 430am Fujanese food is all the drugs I need thank you very much.

You smoke????? How ghastly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I always figured I could make a loving mint if I could patent a 3-in-1 caffeine, nicotine, and birth control patch.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

reserve posted:

You smoke????? How ghastly.

Remember how much trouble it nearly led to on the service ramp on Halloween? What an awful habit (jj/k smoking owns and is our only break on 10+ hr shifts spent standing). Don't look down on it just because it raises the cost of your insurance premiums.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Remember how much trouble it nearly led to on the service ramp on Halloween? What an awful habit (jj/k smoking owns and is our only break on 10+ hr shifts spent standing). Don't look down on it just because it raises the cost of your insurance premiums.

Can I look down on it because it fucks up your sense of taste and leads to oversalting absolutely everything instead?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Liquid Communism posted:

Can I look down on it because it fucks up your sense of taste and leads to oversalting absolutely everything instead?

Sure, if it were true. I over salted my [own] food long before I smoked, even though I've got a sensitive nose that can pick out things fairly easily.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Exec chef put in his 2 weeks today.
Sous chef loving loves me.

I worked our Garde Manger station and have learned it. Worked our morning prep cook/pantry spot and learned it.

I am stuck in Banquet hell at $8.50 an hour. I love working there but hate the pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dude I made like $14/hour (with tips) and all I did was make/serve coffee for 3 weeks and I got burned out.

• Locked thread