Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I'm trying to find an email program that will display my Gmail inbox the same way that the web interface does: Starred at the top, then unread, then everything else.
Airmail and others let me click a button to see starred or unread, but I can't seem to find a program which will just have them one after another like that by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GMail is goofy. Outlook doesn't handle it the way you would want and Mail is screwy too. I just found it easier to use the web interface

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Best gmail app is gmail.com

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

withak posted:

Best gmail app is gmail.com

Yeah I use that one all the time. Seems like it works with every OS update without a hitch.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a good way to find and remove files with certain names? Finder becomes clunky on my external drive (it found over 21,000 files) and the find function isn't getting all the files etc.

What I want to do is remove all files with ".cr2" and "-2.dng"

(I have the originals as dngs, but somehow they have duplicated in some cases.)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

the_lion posted:

Is there a good way to find and remove files with certain names? Finder becomes clunky on my external drive (it found over 21,000 files) and the find function isn't getting all the files etc.

Automator should be able to do it for you like so:

There's an option under Utilities called "Move Finder Items to Trash," if you don't want to vomit them into another folder to double-check, though.

It left the files I named .cr and .dng and -3.dng alone, so that should work for you.

And I think you could use "Get Selected Finder Items" if you just want to cmd-A a certain directory, rather than specify one like I did.

e. Sorry tables :(

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Abel Wingnut posted:

For those of us who've only used Gmail on the web, how does it work with Mail? Does Mail support labels? In an IMAP, does Mail create an inbox file like a PST with all of the messages?

Basically gmail implements "labels" as "folders" in mail app.

When you want to label an email via mail app, you would copy the email to ____ Folder in mail app.

Although I've in general had issues with mail app screwing up my labels. I remember I unchecked "add copies in sent folders" or something along those lines because if you use it, it creates a new folder in gmail instead of actually placing it in the correct folder. Also gmail automatically adds it to sent folder regardless what mail app did.

I used mail app up until the mavericks upgrade, only reason really was because of random hangs when trying to quit mail app. I used Sparrow for a bit, then I eventually used Airmail. Airmail is essentially Sparrow in my opinion but with more features, it allowed me to copy emails between two mailboxes which is nice.

For 1.99 it's worth trying. I really liked mail app because it got the job done but Airmail will probably have to screw up in someway before I go back to mail app.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Zenostein posted:

Automator should be able to do it for you like so:

There's an option under Utilities called "Move Finder Items to Trash," if you don't want to vomit them into another folder to double-check, though.

It left the files I named .cr and .dng and -3.dng alone, so that should work for you.

And I think you could use "Get Selected Finder Items" if you just want to cmd-A a certain directory, rather than specify one like I did.

e. Sorry tables :(

This is awesome, and thanks very much! Had not considered Automator.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Automator's great, because I'm too lazy to actually figure out Applescript, but a few minutes futzing around with Automator and I can usually get it to do what I want. It really is one of those things that people tend to forget about, though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the_lion posted:

Highly dangerous don't-make-a-typo UNIX shell technique, offered in addition to the almost-certainly-better-for-you Automator solution already posted because we unix weenies love this poo poo:

code:
find /Volumes/YourDriveNameHere \( -name '*.cr2' -or -name '*-2.dng' \) -print0 | xargs -0 rm
(If you want to be a boring safe person, substitute a "ls" for the "rm" at the end and you'll just get a listing of all the files that matched instead of deleting them.)

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

BobHoward posted:

code:
find /Volumes/YourDriveNameHere \( -name '*.cr2' -or -name '*-2.dng' \) -print0 | xargs -0 rm

Variant I was going to post:
code:
find /Volumes/YourDriveNameHere \( -name '*.cr2' -or -name '*-2.dng' \) -delete
I run this without -delete to check it's matching the right things, and then run it properly.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
For those who use BetterTouchTool. What do you guys set for the trackpad to open the link in a new tab for the browser? I can't seem to find an one-finger gesture that doesn't interfere with other things.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

dzarc posted:

For those who use BetterTouchTool. What do you guys set for the trackpad to open the link in a new tab for the browser? I can't seem to find an one-finger gesture that doesn't interfere with other things.
I've always just held down the command key and used a normal tap/click because my other hand is on the keyboard anyway. I can't really think of a way to do it that wouldn't be somewhat awkward that isn't already taken by something else.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

dzarc posted:

I map three finger tap to middle-click, which works to open links in a new tab along with any other middle-click functions.

If you use this then you'll need to disable the lookup function in Trackpad Preferences; I remap that to double three finger tap in BTT (I think this used to be the default gesture for lookup, not sure when that changed).

I also map two finger tiptap left & right to cycle through tabs in Safari. Very handy.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 8, 2013

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Can you guys recommend a good download manager? I'm living in an area with slow and spotty internet access, so even small (~20-30MB) downloads can get interrupted.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

dzarc posted:

Two finger tip tap right for new tab, two finger tip tap left to close tabs, three finger tap for open in new tab, and tiptap left/right for changing tabs. As long as I'm browsing bookmarks, I can be a lazy poo poo and never take my hand off of the trackpad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dzarc posted:

Three finger tap for new tab, four finger for background tab. I also have some other tab functions in the contextual menu with some extensions.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

JamesOff posted:

I run this without -delete to check it's matching the right things, and then run it properly.

Heh. Piping find output to xargs is so habitual for me (for grepping and whatever else) I didn't even remember find can delete stuff by itself.

(and I know find has -exec too, but xargs is better in some ways)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Winszton posted:

I'm trying to find an email program that will display my Gmail inbox the same way that the web interface does: Starred at the top, then unread, then everything else.
Airmail and others let me click a button to see starred or unread, but I can't seem to find a program which will just have them one after another like that by default.

MailPlane

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

surrender posted:

Can you guys recommend a good download manager? I'm living in an area with slow and spotty internet access, so even small (~20-30MB) downloads can get interrupted.

Sadly enough DownThemAll! is still one of the better options. It's free and rock solid.

Other than webdev it's the only reason I keep Firefox around.

Beyond that there's Flox 3, which I have yet to try out , and SpeedTao, which I have had break on me a few times.

Of course if you're downloading through FTP then lftp does resume and works great.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

dzarc posted:

Three finger tap as middle click, which is used for open in new tab for every browser as well as close tab in every browser that I would actually want to use. Lookup is just disabled since I never really use it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

snakeater posted:

Sadly enough DownThemAll! is still one of the better options. It's free and rock solid.

Other than webdev it's the only reason I keep Firefox around.

Beyond that there's Flox 3, which I have yet to try out , and SpeedTao, which I have had break on me a few times.

Of course if you're downloading through FTP then lftp does resume and works great.

Thanks! I'm downloading some pretty large files (music production software updates, the occasional GOG game), so I'll give these a try.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Thanks all! I'll try out the three finger tab and set it specifically for Chrome and see if that works out. I had it set to corner left click previously and it was giving me all kinds of problems.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

BobHoward posted:

code:

For extra fun and speed, you can use mdfind, which uses the spotlight meta-data...

code:
mdfind "(kMDItemFSName == '*.cr2'c) || (kMDItemFSName == '-2.dng'c)"
mdfind is AWESOME and you should totally check out the manpage for all the craziness it lets you search over.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

japtor posted:

I had this problem a while back, ended up being a version of BetterTouchTool in my case. If you're using it (or some other mouse thing) check for updates I guess.
Nah, I don't have anything. I had MagicPrefs installed when I did the upgrade, but after a day or so I deleted it in case it was causing the problem.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Where's the setting for system sleep? All I see is one for display sleep.

geera
May 20, 2003
It's the "Computer Sleep" slider right above "Display Sleep" under Energy Saver settings.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

geera posted:

It's the "Computer Sleep" slider right above "Display Sleep" under Energy Saver settings.

There's only a display sleep slider. I think I said that in my post, hence my confusion over the missing system sleep slider.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MacRumors isn't exactly an authoritative source but one poster in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1595455&page=2 claims to have talked to an Apple engineer who said the change was intentional for Haswell machines. Anyone know why that would be?

carry on then fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 8, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

carry on then posted:

Could you take a screenshot? I want to see this glitch for myself.

In your face, Flanders!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, must be based on hardware. Since I have none of those fancy features I get the old settings. Wonder why.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Does it do the same if you switch to the Battery tab? What kinda machine, a new retina MBP?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Does it do the same if you switch to the Battery tab? What kinda machine, a new retina MBP?

That's mine on the Haswell MBA

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

New 13" rMBP. Same on Battery. Goddammit Apple just give me the goddamn slider.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yup. It's a Haswell thing.

You can still change the settings through the terminal using pmset, if you really want to.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a way to have two Safari instances with independent profiles? I'd love to have one Safari I can use with my work logins and then one Safari I can use for all my home logins to the same site without having to log in and out all the time.

Normally, I'd use Chrome for the secondary application but the battery savings with Safari on Mavericks is ridiculous.

Also, is GreaseKit the way to get GreaseMonkey type scripts for Safari?

fookolt fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 9, 2013

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
What's the go-to software for using >1080p res on an rMBP? SwitchResX seems to have the best feature list but costs $$, QuckRes is cheaper but seems to be very barebones, and Retina DisplayMenu is free, but also doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year. Am I missing one, or is it worth it to spend for SwitchResX?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

fookolt posted:

Is there a way to have two Safari instances with independent profiles? I'd love to have one Safari I can use with my work logins and then one Safari I can use for all my home logins to the same site without having to log in and out all the time.

This won't get you profiles, but you can run two instances of any Cocoa app by starting the second from the command line, like this:

code:
/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari &
There are no guarantees that this will work smoothly. Fortunately it seems that since Lion there's now a locking mechanism which should prevent multiple instances of Cocoa apps from clobbering each other's attempts to write to the single preferences file, so you probably won't blow anything up, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are some non-fatal oddities.

5NF
Nov 16, 2011

Does anybody know of an app/software that will allow me to control and watch youtube videos on my mac mini using an app on my iphone 5.

Would be incredibly useful, tried one app called hidpoint media server but it did not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

5NF posted:

Does anybody know of an app/software that will allow me to control and watch youtube videos on my mac mini using an app on my iphone 5.

Would be incredibly useful, tried one app called hidpoint media server but it did not work.

A Chromecast, if your monitor has an HDMI input.