Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

I use this Think Tank bag. It's a little big (it's a holdover from my DSLR days), but it's a nice size for general purpose use outside of just photography.
I didn't realize until reading that product description that I'll have to keep an eye out for "hook and loop" bags, because I loving hate velcro(TM).

Which isn't to say I'm not using a thinktank currently, but this thing is a little too small to be really useful, now that I've tried it with my om-d a bit.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/mirrorlessmover10.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Bob Socko posted:

I use this Think Tank bag. It's a little big (it's a holdover from my DSLR days), but it's a nice size for general purpose use outside of just photography.

I carry a Retrospective 5 every day, every where and it's accumulated some wear over the past couple of years but it's a rock solid piece of equipment. Mine always has an X-Pro 1 or X100 and a Grd IV inside. If I'm going somewhere with intent it will hold the X-Pro 1 with 14, 35 and 60 but it's a tight fit and it is something of a juggle to swap lenses. The 10 is probably better for that.

Two thumbs up for the Think Tank.

genki posted:

I didn't realize until reading that product description that I'll have to keep an eye out for "hook and loop" bags, because I loving hate velcro(TM).

Which isn't to say I'm not using a thinktank currently, but this thing is a little too small to be really useful, now that I've tried it with my om-d a bit.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/mirrorlessmover10.aspx

The Retrospective's have silencers. I have mine at about 9/10ths so it isn't loud but enough to alert me if the bag is being opened.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 8, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

keyframe posted:

Hey what camera bag do you guys use for your x100s/xe-1/xpro1 or similar sized cameras. I want something that doesn't look like an rear end like those lowepro bags and preferably doesn't scream that it is a camera bag.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

keyframe posted:

Hey what camera bag do you guys use for your x100s/xe-1/xpro1 or similar sized cameras. I want something that doesn't look like an rear end like those lowepro bags and preferably doesn't scream that it is a camera bag.

Check out Domke. They're pretty classy looking. I have an F-5XB and an F-3X that I got for my minimal dSLR kit but they work well with smaller cameras too. You'll just have more space to carry around other stuff.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

keyframe posted:

I'm with the strap guy. Putting the x100 in a bag ruins the always ready experience. The thing is so light you'll never notice it even in an all day trip, and with the leather case, you don't have to worry about it knocking against stuff or rain or anything.

I use a lightweight thin fabric strap that was not only cheap, but balls up to nothing when I do shove my x100 in my carryon luggage or whatever. Hated that a leather strap took up as much volume as the camera since it does not compress up easily.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I carry a Retrospective 5 every day, every where and it's accumulated some wear over the past couple of years but it's a rock solid piece of equipment.

I want one of the retrospective bags. Would the 5 fit a nex with extra lens and a tablet? Most reviews don't try to cram a tablet into bags :-(

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

keyframe posted:

I use a small Billingham Hadley Pro. The small one carries my X-E1 with lens attached, and also an extra lens. The frontpocket I use for a cloth and memorycards / batteries.
But I rather take out my BlackRapid Metro with 1 camera 1 lens if possible. Attached to that the "joey" which is an accessory to hold my cloth and batteries.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Kill yourself.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Frobbe posted:

I want one of the retrospective bags. Would the 5 fit a nex with extra lens and a tablet? Most reviews don't try to cram a tablet into bags :-(

You can technically cram an ipad in it but it is near to being the exact dimension of the bag so it's unpleasant. Nex and lenses would be fine.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Frobbe posted:

You could get the retrospective 7. It's basically a 5 with a tablet/laptop sleeve in the back. I really like mine.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Grabbed a x-e1 and kit lens open box deal and received it last night. The box did not come with a battery charger so I contacted to ask for a refund or for them to ship a charger.

One other oddity is that the lens currently can not focus since it has a newer version of firmware, however I cannot update the body until I fully charge the battery. This leads me to assume the lens was from another body, which doesnt overall matter to me.

The sensor also has two small pieces or dust on it that the camera's sensor cleaning does not remove. I might grab a rocket air blower in hopes that I can avoid using a wet cleaner.

The rest is in almost perfect condition.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
So I'm borrowing an X100 from a friend, and the manual focus ring is totally jammed. I've borrowed it from him before so I know how loose it normally is. Anyone had this problem before? My friend said to just try and force it to move, but I can't get it to go. It's not rendering the camera totally useless, but with the new firmware I wanted to try out the MF.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
The blackrapid 20 fits the X100 perfectly, and you can unclip the bag so it's just the strap&camera if that's all you want. I love mine, but I've almost always got another bag on me anyways to carry it inside of when I'm not expecting to need it immediately.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I just thought I would post these here because I am really coming to love my X-Pro. It's got its quirks, but the pros definitely out-weigh the cons.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ Nice shots! 35mm?

Thanks for the recommendations. I am gonna grab the camera tomorrow and try to find as many as those bags here in Vancouver to try.

Another question, does Fuji usually do lens sales Christmas time? I really want to pick up the 35mm but I can wait another month if it has the possibility to go on sale.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There's a Crumpler store in downtown Vancouver a few blocks from Canada Place. I've had decent luck with Broadway Camera for bags.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

HPL posted:

There's a Crumpler store in downtown Vancouver a few blocks from Canada Place. I've had decent luck with Broadway Camera for bags.

That Crumpler store closed down. I am going to go to broadway photo tomorrow since they also have a Sony A7 hands on event. :v:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I've spent the last year researching cameras, and I finally felt ready to jump on-board the Fuji X system....but now I've come across the Pana GH3. The video quality looks insane. I'm planning to go work in Japan next summer so I wanted to get decked out with some gear before I go.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Pegnose Pete posted:

I've spent the last year researching cameras, and I finally felt ready to jump on-board the Fuji X system....but now I've come across the Pana GH3. The video quality looks insane. I'm planning to go work in Japan next summer so I wanted to get decked out with some gear before I go.

If you're interested in video at all, besides getting a few random clips here or there, definitely pass on the Fuji X cameras for now. The Fuji stuff is excellent for stills but the video mode basically feels like an afterthought.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a GH3 and the video quality was very good, but I'd hardly call it "insane." Used it for about three months in conjunction with a D800 and XF300 for run and gun doc style stuff and interviews. If you have any questions about it specifically I can probably answer. Fuji and Olympus seem to get most of the attention here, but neither would be my first choice if video is important (especially not Fuji).

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Mest0r posted:

If you're interested in video at all, besides getting a few random clips here or there, definitely pass on the Fuji X cameras for now. The Fuji stuff is excellent for stills but the video mode basically feels like an afterthought.

Yea. I would never get a fuji camera if video is a consideration. They are absolutely terrible for video.

Which makes this all the more funnier:

https://www.facebook.com/fujifilmcameras?sk=app_489010904481696&app_data=Me-and-My-Fuji-Video-Contest

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Hm. Well right now I'm just trying to get back into photography, so I have no idea how much I will actually shoot. I also don't know how much video I will be shooting. I am interested in doing both though. I love the IQ and lenses in the Fuji system, but yeah I feel like the video would be basically useless.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I wouldn't pick a system based on the performance of a particular body. Pick it on the lenses (a good lens will outlast a body) and the philosophy of the bodies (eg Sony' minimalist flat boxes or Fuji's more traditional approach to UI).

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pegnose Pete posted:

Hm. Well right now I'm just trying to get back into photography, so I have no idea how much I will actually shoot. I also don't know how much video I will be shooting. I am interested in doing both though. I love the IQ and lenses in the Fuji system, but yeah I feel like the video would be basically useless.

You can still shoot video with Fuji if what you mean by video is to record some cool thing you see while walking or shooting video of your kids playing. If you are going to be shooting videos for production be it ads, interviews, whatever I would not get Fuji. If still photography is the main goal then get the fuji because imo nothing else compares in that price range, and they have the xe-1 + 18-55 for $950 deal going on still.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Good advice. Yeah I would just be shooting for vlog, youtube purposes. Possibly some creative stuff but certainly nothing for broadcast, advertising or anything like that.

My friend might sell me his X100 for 300$ because he got a great deal on it to begin with and hardly ever uses it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pegnose Pete posted:

Good advice. Yeah I would just be shooting for vlog, youtube purposes. Possibly some creative stuff but certainly nothing for broadcast, advertising or anything like that.

My friend might sell me his X100 for 300$ because he got a great deal on it to begin with and hardly ever uses it.

You can still shoot video with the XE1 but you have to assume AF doesn't work and manual focus everything. The white balance on the video is still excellent.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Pegnose Pete posted:

Holy poo poo, buy it. I miss my X100 even though I love my X-E1. I still keep on eye on eBay and the sell thread to try and pick up another.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I sold mine to my friend for $550 and I thought that was a good deal. Do it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea for $300 it is pretty much stealing it.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I think he only paid 3 or 4 hundred for it off kijiji so he's fine with selling it to me for the same or less. He just hasn't decided if he for sure wants to part with it yet so I'm borrowing it indefinitely right now.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Pegnose Pete posted:

Jesus. If you don't buy it, I'd gladly buy it for $300.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I need to stay off eBay! I was looking for a Panasonic 14mm f2.5 and ended up buying a GF3 with twin lenses (14-42 and 14 2.5).

Oh well, it was pretty cheap :ohdear:

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I believe the 18-55 kit i got with the Fuji X-E1 is a dud. If I turn on the camera with it attached i have a message displaying LENS CONTROL ERROR. I have checked the following ideas for troubleshooting:
Lens/body firmware
Examined contact pins on lens and camera body for obstructions
Toggled on and off Optical Stabilization on lens
Switched the camera from Manual, Autofocus C, Autofocus S

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp. My 60D missed a stupid simple tracking shot on a great horned owl today. I've had it with this camera. Any y'all have an OMD EM1 yet? I'm curious how much better the AF is compared to the EM5.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

daspope posted:

I believe the 18-55 kit i got with the Fuji X-E1 is a dud. If I turn on the camera with it attached i have a message displaying LENS CONTROL ERROR. I have checked the following ideas for troubleshooting:
Lens/body firmware
Examined contact pins on lens and camera body for obstructions
Toggled on and off Optical Stabilization on lens
Switched the camera from Manual, Autofocus C, Autofocus S
Do you have any other lenses to test against? That would narrow the problem down to the body or the lens.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

Do you have any other lenses to test against? That would narrow the problem down to the body or the lens.

Unfortunately, I do not. I have considered bringing in the camera body to a local shop to try it with their lenses under the guise of buying one, but they do have their own camera bodies.

The camera was listed as Open Box/new online and I have sent the vendor an email. I just want to use the camera (and the lens).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

daspope posted:

Unfortunately, I do not. I have considered bringing in the camera body to a local shop to try it with their lenses under the guise of buying one, but they do have their own camera bodies.

The camera was listed as Open Box/new online and I have sent the vendor an email. I just want to use the camera (and the lens).

They're usually more than happy to let you use your own camera body so they don't have to risk you loving up one of theirs.

Do be good about it if your haunted camera makes their lens blow up or something.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp. My 60D missed a stupid simple tracking shot on a great horned owl today. I've had it with this camera. Any y'all have an OMD EM1 yet? I'm curious how much better the AF is compared to the EM5.

Tracking AF is not the EM5's strong point unfortunately, but the single shot AF is probably faster than the 5D3. The EM1 is supposed to be better at tracking but I've not tested it out yet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

You'd go to M43 to improve on one of DSLRs' strongest advantages? Get a body/system with good AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Casu Marzu posted:

Why is it you would want to go with mirrorless if your problem is with AF tracking? Genuinely curious, here. My understanding is that poor AF is one of the major complaints of mirrorless. Why not look into a 7d or 1 series or something?