Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I've known this girl as a casual acquaintance for 3 years from high school. We'll call her Paz.

I always thought Paz to be "out-of-my-league" so I never thought of her as more than just a friend. We shared mutual acquaintances so I would see her sporadically at birthday parties, random hangout nights, etc. Years ago, when I was tired, I blurted out to her that I thought she was out of my league and I was straight so that's why I would never date her. The morning after that, as well as the weekend after that, she tried to talk about what I had said was real or just tired-talk, but I was so embarrassed at my exhaustedantics I just changed the subject both times.

Now, recently, weeks after second year, she has been contacting me a lot out of the blue. She asks if I am dating anyone at the moment, basically flirts a lot and sticks to me like glue when we do science, wants me to come over to have dinner with her parents and vice-versa with my parents, and basically she's planned almost all of our weekends together from here until goddamn near February. This was way more than we've ever hung out before, and the way she talks to me now is different, so I am a bit puzzled. When we are experimenting she says sometimes she pretends I'm her girlfriend and we "pretend-make-out".

I find this confusing because I was always under the impression that once you are in the friendzone, you can never get out of the friendzone. What is she doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
tom, please draw Kat in a fedora next week tia

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I wonder how many lovely comments this update will get

I wonder if it will be enough to compile a Shingeki no Pazkat II set to Die Flügel der Freiheit

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rasamune posted:

I wonder if it will be enough to compile a Shingeki no Pazkat II set to Die Flügel der Freiheit

Comment numero six: "So. Over the comic's forty chapters or so, Kat has expressed love (or at least adorable blushing) towards boys roughly one hundred million times. Let's see, there was Alistair, Special Agent Fox Mulder (and Skinner), Muut ("you're saying... he doesn't wear a shirt?"), boys in general ("Yeah but now there will be boys there!"--chapter 19), and, last not least, the ever-dreamy Mister Eglamore. Come this chapter, and all of a sudden she's a lesbian, and not just any lesbian, but one that makes bedroom eyes at Paz and wants to seduce her with science. What the hell is this."

Which, in my scholarly internet opinion, is probably a troll.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Gunnerkrigg Court status: still adorable and awesome at handling potential awful situations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SHISHKABOB posted:

Which, in my scholarly internet opinion, is probably a troll.

You have way too much respect for your average internet commenter.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
:3:

That is all.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Paz this is not positive reinforcement for not showing off this is really not that at all, this is the opposite of that thing. Do some psych tests with your mice or something and try again later.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rasamune posted:

Please, Kimi No Pazkat.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The thing quoted above is basically the only cranky, hostile comment in the first 200 posted. I guess all the major assholes gave up on the comic two chapters ago.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SHISHKABOB posted:

Comment numero six: "So. Over the comic's forty chapters or so, Kat has expressed love (or at least adorable blushing) towards boys roughly one hundred million times. Let's see, there was Alistair, Special Agent Fox Mulder (and Skinner), Muut ("you're saying... he doesn't wear a shirt?"), boys in general ("Yeah but now there will be boys there!"--chapter 19), and, last not least, the ever-dreamy Mister Eglamore. Come this chapter, and all of a sudden she's a lesbian, and not just any lesbian, but one that makes bedroom eyes at Paz and wants to seduce her with science. What the hell is this."
What the gently caress is bisexuality? What the gently caress are awkward developmental years? I DON'T UNDERSTAND HUMANS AND I WANT TO BE MAD :argh:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Smooch City over here.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I would like to state, for the record: D'awwwwwwwwww.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I kind of envy the people who have forgotten what it's like to be 13 and stumbling through your first "real" relationship.

On the other hand, it apparently turns you into a horrible sperglord.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Kikas posted:

:drat: Paz, you are the smoothest.

Although this is just page 10 of this chapter and they didn't look too happy on the cover, so the next 20 pages are gonna be a wild ride.

It might just be a short chapter. Not that I don't think something Fun's going to happen in the next few pages, but he's done chapters with fewer than 20 pages before.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

1stGear posted:

I kind of envy the people who have forgotten what it's like to be 13 and stumbling through your first "real" relationship.

On the other hand, it apparently turns you into a horrible sperglord.

Some of those sperglords probably never went through the process at all...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:3: Those two never fail to make me smile. Also, this comment made me really happy:

theprufrockian posted:

yesss (seriously, though, as a closeted queer teenager, this means a lot to me. c: thanks for an amazing portrayal.)

:)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

What the gently caress is bisexuality? What the gently caress are awkward developmental years? I DON'T UNDERSTAND HUMANS AND I WANT TO BE MAD :argh:

Not to mention a number of pieces of evidence from the text that you could drag up that support the idea that Kat digs chicks.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Some of those sperglords probably never went through the process at all...

:( not all of us are spergs.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kat is doing fine. My first attempt at teenage romantic candles ended up with me setting my back on fire.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

PrinceRandom posted:

:( not all of us are spergs.
:eng101: Also, as of DSM-V, "Aspergers" is an obsolete term.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fecha posted:

:eng101: Also, as of DSM-V, "Aspergers" is an obsolete term.

So are moron, imbecile, and idiot, but if you think they're going anywhere anytime soon,

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
:3: D'awwwwwwwwwww :3:

This has been just the best.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

Kat is doing fine. My first attempt at teenage romantic candles ended up with me setting my back on fire.

Did you remember the vomit noises? The whole thing just doesn't work without them.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Rasamune posted:

It might just be a short chapter. Not that I don't think something Fun's going to happen in the next few pages, but he's done chapters with fewer than 20 pages before.

The rest of the chapter is Annie suggesting they go on a date in Fun City.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Razorwired posted:

The rest of the chapter is Annie suggesting they go on a date in Fun City.

Hey, Kat's already started a fire as of the last page. A trip to Fun City could happen!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
It was always burnin' since the world was turnin'

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Not to mention a number of pieces of evidence from the text that you could drag up that support the idea that Kat digs chicks.

I don't think she's a pedophile. Adolescent birds only.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpaceViking posted:

I don't think she's a pedophile. Adolescent birds only.

Yeah, hey, what is this. Tom has clearly illustrated that Kat does not like girls OR boys, REALLY. She likes BIRDS!. I am putting on my fedora of disgust.

Also, Paz is hella smooth and Kat just got her mind blown. D'aww.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

[insert chibisoma bestiality copy paste]

I'm super curious for how long Tom has had this development sitting in his head. All those years Paz was just an incidental side character with barely any screentime to be included in Tumblr's mushy photosets. It'd be nice if the other students developed into cool, important characters, too.

FezCactus
Jun 2, 2013

Butt dance, butt dance
Oh god the /co/ thread today was so drat creepy with someone posting info about Tom and his past blog posts and dating life info... I really wonder what the heck goes through those people's minds.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Kinda sympathize with that comment. I read through the whole comic today and I feel like it is incredibly haphazard, a problem that a lot of webcomics suffer from but this one has particularly bad issues with. The fire elemental thing and Kat's lesbianism both being great examples. It is fairly obvious that the creator intended SOMETHING to happen between Kat and Anne, but was thwarted or encouraged by the fanbase to do something different - which became clear when the thing between Anne and Jack was abruptly cut short. And the fire elemental thing, Anne causing her mother's death, was hilariously out of nowhere, not even a single hint from the previous story. Which is fine! - but it cuts deeply across the reader's feeling that this is a real story, a real graphic novel, as it were - and not a collection of somewhat related shorts posted on the internet and subject to a fickle fanbase's fantastic expectations.

Webcomics sometimes suffer from the limitations of their medium - instead of being something a creator comes up with, plans out, and writes / illustrates all by themselves, the entire process and story is thrown before an audience, often before it is fully conceptualized. This is not a good thing, in my opinion, and Gunnerkreig Court comes so close to greatness that I feel like it suffered particularly under this limitation. It is a shame, certainly, but this observation does not make it any less entertaining, luckily. It is just something I felt I needed to share, to shine a light on why people like that guy and the guy who was hilariously upset about Anne and Kat not getting together are not monsters, but simply people who enjoy a webcomic and are mislead to expect things out of it that it will not, and in fact is unable to provide.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Darth Windu posted:

It is fairly obvious that the creator intended SOMETHING to happen between Kat and Anne

Um, no, it wasn't. Please point out one time in the story that indicated Kat and Anne were ever meant to be romantically involved. Is it really that hard to believe that they're just close friends? And as for the Kat being a lesbian now, have people honestly never heard of bisexuality or teenagers exploring their preferences? Christ.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I have to disagree with you on at least the fire elemental part, it was well established that Annie grew up in a hospital with her mom. The only missing element up until that point was why she was ill.

(Wait, this isn't one of those things where you copy/paste a post from the official forums, right...?)

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 9, 2013

FezCactus
Jun 2, 2013

Butt dance, butt dance

Darth Windu posted:

Kinda sympathize with that comment. I read through the whole comic today and I feel like it is incredibly haphazard, a problem that a lot of webcomics suffer from but this one has particularly bad issues with. The fire elemental thing and Kat's lesbianism both being great examples. It is fairly obvious that the creator intended SOMETHING to happen between Kat and Anne, but was thwarted or encouraged by the fanbase to do something different - which became clear when the thing between Anne and Jack was abruptly cut short. And the fire elemental thing, Anne causing her mother's death, was hilariously out of nowhere, not even a single hint from the previous story. Which is fine! - but it cuts deeply across the reader's feeling that this is a real story, a real graphic novel, as it were - and not a collection of somewhat related shorts posted on the internet and subject to a fickle fanbase's fantastic expectations.

Webcomics sometimes suffer from the limitations of their medium - instead of being something a creator comes up with, plans out, and writes / illustrates all by themselves, the entire process and story is thrown before an audience, often before it is fully conceptualized. This is not a good thing, in my opinion, and Gunnerkreig Court comes so close to greatness that I feel like it suffered particularly under this limitation. It is a shame, certainly, but this observation does not make it any less entertaining, luckily. It is just something I felt I needed to share, to shine a light on why people like that guy and the guy who was hilariously upset about Anne and Kat not getting together are not monsters, but simply people who enjoy a webcomic and are mislead to expect things out of it that it will not, and in fact is unable to provide.

But Anne causing her mother's death was alluded to many times early in the comic. It's not like it came out of left field. Reynard mourns Surma's death as soon as he finds out Annie was her daughter. Annie had to take her Mother to the other side cause none of the psychopomps would be able to. It's subtle but it's all there if you look back at it. Kat's deal was also built up in the story. And Kat isn't a lesbian, least she doesn't identify as one yet. She also had a crush on Eglamore and she had her bird boy crush. Oh and Muut, she really liked what she saw... until she got mad. And along came Paz and made her question how people see her and how she sees herself. So she's now at least bi-sexual until she confirms in the comic that she doesn't like boys anymore.

Honestly I didn't see anything aside from some subtexts here and there to indicate Annie and Kat would have something. They just seemed like really good friends. It's very obvious Annie liked Jack and in the Beyond the Walls comics she has a huge major crush on another boy; and Kat had those crushes I mentioned before. I've seen straight girls kinda flirt with each other and be very close. So it's nothing unusual really.

FezCactus fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 9, 2013

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

How does a webcomic readership's expectations vary from any other medium's? I have not gotten the impression that Tom has changed his story in any way based on audience reactions. (Yes, yes, the minor art edits notwithstanding.)

Also, yeah, lots of buildup to the fire elemental. Miz Donlan crying at Annie's transfer, Reynardine blatantly foreshadowing. "You have a fire within you, girl."

Fecha fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 9, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Darth Windu posted:

While I don't disagree with you per se I do have to note that I never saw any sort of hint of stuff between Annie and Kat and the outcome of Annie and Jack made complete sense. I frankly never got why anyone ever thought anything was there, because in many of the scenes were they're together Annie is visibly annoyed, sometimes bordering on outright disgust. And not in some cutesy Benedick and Beatrice kind of way, she just doesn't like him very much. Trying to toy with his feelings because she dislikes him for a number reasons made sense, especially since it followed the whole Renard/fleeing from the court thing, which demonstrated that she was much more emotional and vindictive then she had previously let on. I think people kind of jumped to conclusions that they would go out with each because they had a few conversations, while ignoring the general context and tone each of those conversations had and again I've never really understood it.

As to your wider point about the series haphazard nature, I think I agree with you that early on potential plot points are brought up to fall by the wayside as Tom got more of an idea of where he was going (the only one to remotely bother me are the tic-toc birds). But I feel the character stuff has always been pretty set. Things come up from Annie's past without warning because she's a very guarded person, to the point of occasionally appearing emotionless. By the same token some of the actions she has taken were unexpected and jarring because there's this stuff roiling below the surface that she doesn't let on to. I think it's also a bit wrong to categorize the comic as uniquely unplanned. There's too much foreshadowing and callbacks for Tom not to have a fairly good idea of where he's going and many long running literary and television series are started without a clear picture of where exactly they're going and how they'll get there. Plus Tom works with a very large buffer, at least a month and sometimes significantly more. I remember at one point he had a buffer approaching three months worth of work. It was funny because he announced his shift to full time work on the comic and then a month or two later you suddenly saw a marked improvement in the artwork. So he's already 12 or more pages ahead of what we're seeing, which kind of makes it unlikely that he's being heavily influenced by fan reaction, since there's a chance he'd have to rewrite half a chapter or more on the fly to do so.

I guess I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with your main point that this is not the type of series where each and every page has a preplanned purpose and significance, but I disagree with pretty much everything else. I think your opinion might change once you decompress from a single day binge of an 1200 page strip and with a bit of rereading. Or not, everyone's free to feel however they want about a piece of fiction. Unless they post screeds personally directed towards the author of that work across like three different place on the internet and then get proved entirely wrong in the next page.

cafel fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 9, 2013

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Uh, why are people seriously replying to a parody post?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Forgall posted:

Uh, why are people seriously replying to a parody post?

Sadly, based on previous experience with Darth Windu I'm fairly certain that it's not a parody post. Even the bit where he somehow gets the main character's name wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Some people are retarded, even here on forums.somethingawful.com