Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I think Le Havre is a pretty good implementation of the board game. The AI is not overly difficult to beat, even on hard mode. But that usually doesn't happen until you start to happen until you figure out that the AI doesn't go large steel production which let's you make huge gains late game.

I am probably going to download the History of the World game. A few people in my gaming group love the hell out of the physical version. A faster automated version should be fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Orvin posted:

I am probably going to download the History of the World game. A few people in my gaming group love the hell out of the physical version. A faster automated version should be fun to play.

As a note, the app is for A Brief History of the World, not the original game. After playing both versions, I prefer Brief History more, but some people really didn't like the changes.

Overall, I'd recommend Brief History of the World to people looking for a light wargame. I really like the area control mechanics, how different areas have different values over the course of the game. Everyone "starting over" with a new army at the beginning of each round creates a cool dynamic, especially since your old army stays on the board. The closest game I can relate it to is Small World, but with more randomness, so if you've like that, give it a try.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Le Havre is hilariously cluttered on iPhone, don't bother unless you REALLY like the board game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's actually most/all of the Codito titles that are on sale for $.99:

http://theologyofgames.com/2013/11/08/ios-sale-board-games-for-99/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, $0.99 for Le Havre is great. Surely it will erase the line between the havres and the havre nots. :downsrim:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Maybe I'll get the couple of these I still don't have since I have iTunes credit.

Ra seems pretty simple at first, but turned out to be an interesting betting game.
Tikal was entertaining and has a bit of strategy to it, along with the board being randomized.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't really recommend Tikal or Medici because it doesn't look like either have been updated in time in the past year. Anything else is still being supported.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Though it's not for everybody, I really enjoy Tigris and Euphrates.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I just picked up Tigris, thanks for this. I played through the tutorial and holy poo poo this is complex. I can't imagine trying to teach the game to someone else without just handing them my iPad and saying "go to town." Of course, that's not a terrible option.

Can anyone suggest board games that a good for one iPad play - you know, no hidden information? I thought T&E fit that, but then I got to wars and it turns out that which tiles are in your hand is very important information.

I sometimes go to board game night at my LGS and would enjoy just plopping down an iPad.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Boxman posted:

I just picked up Tigris, thanks for this. I played through the tutorial and holy poo poo this is complex. I can't imagine trying to teach the game to someone else without just handing them my iPad and saying "go to town." Of course, that's not a terrible option.

Can anyone suggest board games that a good for one iPad play - you know, no hidden information? I thought T&E fit that, but then I got to wars and it turns out that which tiles are in your hand is very important information.

I sometimes go to board game night at my LGS and would enjoy just plopping down an iPad.

Carcassone and Small World both use mechanics that make it so there's nothing to hide.

I'd love to see board games that use an Apple TV as a sort of neutral screen so everyone can watch what the active player is doing while keeping their hand or whatever secret. Pass and play is alright, but I hate not getting to see anything until it's my turn again.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Recycle Bin posted:

Carcassone and Small World both use mechanics that make it so there's nothing to hide.
Also Caylus and Neuroshima Hex, which both have pretty good iOS ports apart from the online multiplayer.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Recycle Bin posted:

Technically, the number of points that a player has at any given time is hidden information in Small World. However, this is hidden under the little gold gem in the corner of the screen you need to tap in order to see this information.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Going through the list of board games on my iPad mini, the following board games have pass-and-play and lack any sort of hidden information:

Agricola (The "family game" omits the hidden Occupation and Minor Improvement cards)
Alien Frontiers
Can't Stop
Carcassonne
Caylus
Dead Man's Draw
Elder Sign: Omens (co-op)
Forbidden Island (co-op)
Ghost Stories (co-op)
Hive
Khet
Kingdom Builder
Las Vegas
Le Havre
Medici
Neuroshima Hex
Pandemic (co-op)
Puerto Rico
Ra
Roll Through The Ages
Zombie Dice/Dino Hunt Dice
Zooloretto
Yggdrasil (co-op)

I'm positive there are more out there but that's what I have on mine that fits those traits.

KamikazeJim fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 11, 2013

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't really recommend Tikal or Medici because it doesn't look like either have been updated in time in the past year. Anything else is still being supported.

For what it's worth, I bought all of the ones on sale, and while I'm not crazy about Tikal, both of the games work fine. Not hugely polished like Le Havre, but certainly playable.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
I finally got the hang of Le Havre last night and, wow, once you figure out the flow, it's a blast.

This is my first iPad (an Air) and I'm so stoked to finally get to play all of these otherwise insanely expensive games...

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

tonytheshoes posted:

I finally got the hang of Le Havre last night and, wow, once you figure out the flow, it's a blast.

This is my first iPad (an Air) and I'm so stoked to finally get to play all of these otherwise insanely expensive games...

Wait until you try the Agricola solo series.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I just bought an iPad after I had to give my old one away when I changed jobs. I'm trying to get back into the GroupMe room but I can't figure out how to join it from my iPad. Can someone PM me the details?

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

tonytheshoes posted:

I have never got the hang of it. Even following the suggested moves against an easy AI doesn't provide a lot of illumination. Any pointers?

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

langurmonkey posted:

I have never got the hang of it. Even following the suggested moves against an easy AI doesn't provide a lot of illumination. Any pointers?

I learned a lot by reading this building reference list and sticking to a relatively easy strategy of aiming everything I did at building the Luxury Liner at the end of the game and establishing at least one good source of steady income (either the Bakehouse or Joinery) early on and then something like the Cokery and Shipping in the late game. This works on the easiest difficulties and gives you a chance to learn how to use some of the more interesting buildings once you get the hang of things.

Early in the game, if you go first, a good strategy is to play "keep-away" with the Wood offer to slow down your opponents.

One tip I have is to remember that loans aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as you keep an eye on the interest payment cycle. If you do things right, you can usually pay them off fairly easily at some point. Also, don't be afraid to sell buildings that don't generate any income if you can buy a more valuable one later on.

Other than that, I have learned a lot by losing and paying attention to why and how the other players won.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/45371/extensive-le-havre-buildings-reference-and-faq

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bought Pandemic and have been playing it with the girlfriend today - this poo poo is hard. It feels almost like an unreasonable hardship to not be able to share cards freely (even the Researcher can only give cards freely); are there any recommended tactics or common mistakes I should be aware of?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TACD posted:

Bought Pandemic and have been playing it with the girlfriend today - this poo poo is hard. It feels almost like an unreasonable hardship to not be able to share cards freely (even the Researcher can only give cards freely); are there any recommended tactics or common mistakes I should be aware of?

Play with your hands open on the table - technically you're supposed to have closed hands but can freely share info, so it's dumb not to just be able to look over and see what people have without asking every ten seconds.

Other than that, just play with 4 epidemics, make sure someone is the medic and hope for not-terrible luck.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

JoshTheStampede posted:

and hope for not-terrible luck.

This. All co-operative board games are dumb, and this is why.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Lord Wexia posted:

I just bought an iPad after I had to give my old one away when I changed jobs. I'm trying to get back into the GroupMe room but I can't figure out how to join it from my iPad. Can someone PM me the details?

I probably banned you (by accident!) when I was clearing out inactive members. You'll have to come to this channel, tell me the email you registered with, and I'll manually reinvite you to the channel. It's not a perfect system! I spoke with GroupMe support and got the user limit increased, but they told me they could not clear the ban list because reasons.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Beelzebozo posted:

This. All co-operative board games are dumb, and this is why.

Someone has never played Space Alert.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JoshTheStampede posted:

Play with your hands open on the table - technically you're supposed to have closed hands but can freely share info, so it's dumb not to just be able to look over and see what people have without asking every ten seconds.

Other than that, just play with 4 epidemics, make sure someone is the medic and hope for not-terrible luck.
Sorry, I meant I got the iPad version - you can always see everybody's hand, but I meant that you can't just swap cards when you're on the same city, you need to be on the city named on the card you're swapping. It makes exchanging cards effectively impossible (or seems to), so I was wondering what good strategies I'm missing.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

TACD posted:

Sorry, I meant I got the iPad version - you can always see everybody's hand, but I meant that you can't just swap cards when you're on the same city, you need to be on the city named on the card you're swapping. It makes exchanging cards effectively impossible (or seems to), so I was wondering what good strategies I'm missing.

I haven't played the iPad version but I know that does make it harder. When I first played with friends we didn't interpret the rules right and we're sharing more openly. Now when we play we have to think a few turns ahead and prioritize things. Deciding if who will be trying to head off outbreaks before they happen or eliminating a disease depending on your peoples given ability can be tough but sometimes it works out.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

TACD posted:

I believe that is the rule on the original game. One of the roles special powers is to make it so that they can trade on any city (Researcher, I think). It does mean you have to plan ahead, but a good use of research stations and/or the dispatcher makes it not as impossible as it seems.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is Lords of Waterdeep fun? I'm a fan of Carcasonne, Ascension, Agricola, Catan, Dominion and Lost Cities - but don't hugely like Summoner Wars or Puerto Rico(the game) or Magic style card collecting games in general. Who's played Waterdeep in real life? Firesauce, Dimerhutton, Eight, MickRaider - I'm looking at you...

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

porktree posted:

Is Lords of Waterdeep fun? I'm a fan of Carcasonne, Ascension, Agricola, Catan, Dominion and Lost Cities - but don't hugely like Summoner Wars or Puerto Rico(the game) or Magic style card collecting games in general. Who's played Waterdeep in real life? Firesauce, Dimerhutton, Eight, MickRaider - I'm looking at you...

Waterdeep is a very simple worker placement game (think Agricola). You get "quests" which require you to get a certain number and type of colored cubes. You get the cubes from placing your workers on places that give you cubes. The winner has the most points.

I played it in real life and it's pretty fun and light for a worker placement type game. I'll definitely be picking it up!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Lord Wexia posted:

Waterdeep is a very simple worker placement game (think Agricola). You get "quests" which require you to get a certain number and type of colored cubes. You get the cubes from placing your workers on places that give you cubes. The winner has the most points.

I played it in real life and it's pretty fun and light for a worker placement type game. I'll definitely be picking it up!

Sold. Hit me up for a game when it drops in the US. As always, porktree :)

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I actually haven't played that one over the table (this is Fire Sauce by the way), but that description combined with Playdek's general track record have me in. Should drop tomorrow.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I've only played Lords Of Waterdeep twice in real life, but both times I mopped the floor with more experienced players by following the simple strategy of prioritizing cheaper quests the synergize with my hidden goal whenever possible. I almost feel like people who regularly play worker placement games probably find it too simple and fundamental, so I've probably been playing with people who tend to play a different style of game. Or maybe I just got lucky, it was only two games after all and there's a good bit of randomness to the game. Make of it what you will, I still found it enjoyable as far as light worker placement games go. I'll only pick it up on the iPad if they release the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion, because otherwise the game is just too simple.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Yeah it's simple, but it's fun and just light enough to play on the iPad while you're waiting to do something else.

I also don't have any friends on Playdek's online service but I'm always down for Agricola or now Waterdeep. Username is Wexia

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

:siren: Tournament time! :siren:

I've created a Carcassonne tournament on Challonge - go ahead and sign up, but please use your GameCenter name so you can find your opponent. This tournament is 1vs1 - partly because I made the tournament and that's my preferred Carcassonne style, and partly because I have no idea how to go about setting up a 3+player tournament on Challonge or anywhere else. It's also double elimination rather than Swiss, since no-shows apparently caused a lot of delays in the Ascension tournament.

RULES:
  • No expansions - I don't know how much interest there is in this (and if there's anybody out there who hasn't played much Carcassonne yet it'd be nice to bring them in), so I want a low barrier to entry.
  • No crosses / remaining tiles visible - that's just not right.
  • Enable fields - I hope you weren't thinking of disabling them.
  • Complete each game within a week of the matchup being posted, or post a reason you can't meet the deadline / can't play anymore in GroupMe. If we're still playing by Christmas then the deadlines will be relaxed.

I think a maximum of a week for each game seems reasonable - with no expansions there are ~70 tiles, which means 10 tiles a day, which means each player should be willing to commit to at least five turns a day. Since most of those will be useless loving road tiles instead of that city end-piece you need it shouldn't be too hard :v:

I'm not setting a hard deadline on when this will start, but once it seems like most interested people have signed up I'll give a couple of days' notice. Also, I was hoping Challonge would let me do some kind of proper seeding (based on ELO scores or something) but unless somebody who knows more about this can give me a hint, I think it's basically going to be random.

I've also enabled match attachments which I think should let everybody upload screenshots of especially satisfying moves, and final scores in particular.

:siren: GO SIGN UP!! :siren:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TACD posted:

Bought Pandemic and have been playing it with the girlfriend today - this poo poo is hard.
Please be careful playing this game with your girlfriend. My game group renamed Pandemic to "WHO MADE US LOSE?!?" and it is a much more appropriate title and what the game very often boils down to. It's not as bad as Diplomacy or Imperial, but I'd avoid playing it with people you actually like.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

TACD posted:

I was hoping Challonge would let me do some kind of proper seeding (based on ELO scores or something) but unless somebody who knows more about this can give me a hint, I think it's basically going to be random.

You just drag the participants around in the bracket. Wait until you've closed off sign-ups and then check everyone's Elo at that particular moment. Also, as tournament director, you should be adding each participant on Game Center as they join so you can access their ratings.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Lord Wexia posted:

Yeah it's simple, but it's fun and just light enough to play on the iPad while you're waiting to do something else.

I also don't have any friends on Playdek's online service but I'm always down for Agricola or now Waterdeep. Username is Wexia

Started a game with you!

I've played the board game a bunch and it's really fun. I like that it's less brain-burny than stuff like Agricola.
My playdek name is rudyriot

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I've really been enjoying agricola lately. Still learning it but it's a cool game.

Hit me up for that or Carcassonne. I signed up for the tourney.

GC same as username: MickRaider

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

InfiniteZero posted:

Please be careful playing this game with your girlfriend. My game group renamed Pandemic to "WHO MADE US LOSE?!?" and it is a much more appropriate title and what the game very often boils down to. It's not as bad as Diplomacy or Imperial, but I'd avoid playing it with people you actually like.
Haha, yea... we've already had some, ah, spirited debate over which characters to pick and what each one should be prioritising. We can still blame every loss to "we're new and have no idea what we're doing" though.

Beelzebozo posted:

You just drag the participants around in the bracket. Wait until you've closed off sign-ups and then check everyone's Elo at that particular moment. Also, as tournament director, you should be adding each participant on Game Center as they join so you can access their ratings.
This is a good idea and I'll get on it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Joined that Carc tourney. I also just remembered the Lost Cities tourney exists, and started a game with SuicidalManiac.

• Locked thread