Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Algid posted:

How has someone not killed teacher yet? He's had to have pissed off enough people by now.

Teacher makes an effort to maintain a few degrees of separation at all times from all of his various projects. Aside from his gaggle of agents he keeps close to him, nobody sees him unless he comes to them. Remember how much trouble people had finding him until Taylor mind controlled everyone who mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Please, that's for the sequel :pseudo:

I can honestly see him dead by epilogue end. The Undersiders are doing something still, even if Grue, Regent, and Skitter are no longer around for various reasons. The epilogue basically being a brief story of how Tattletale brings pieces together to straight up murder Teacher would be great. Defiant would be on board for it too, as would Dragon though the protections are likely still in place.

And there is a meeting Tattletale is organizing, for something. I can only dream it is killing Teacher.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Please, that's for the sequel :pseudo:

Yeah. Teachers either going to die at some point in the epilogues. Probably to Dragon/Defiant. Or he's the big bad in the sequel.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Blinks77 posted:

Or he's the big bad in the sequel.

I see this as unlikely. We have several non-Endbringer S-class threats still wandering around: the Sleeper and the three Blasphemies. All of them have made cameo appearances at one point or another, and we know essentially nothing about any of them. And while the events of chapter 30 have shown that any sufficiently clever and resourceful Master can leverage themselves into an S-class threat, it'd feel weird if the sequel dealt with someone who's gotten comparatively more screen time than any of the ones I mentioned.

Unrelated question: I'm still spoiler-tagging stuff from the last couple of arcs in case we get any new people wandering into the thread. At what point should we change over and make everything tag-free?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 5, 2013

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The more we see of Imp the more I like that character. At first I just dismissed her as a sidekick character but Wildbow has done some great things with Imp.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So just to get this straight, Imp has suddenly been so witty recently because once you correct her because she made one of her stupid puns, she can use her power to make you forget she just said something, and then say it as it was perfectly timed? So around Tattletale she was especially smart, because Tattletale always likes to tell people they are wrong...

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

AgentHaiTo posted:

So just to get this straight, Imp has suddenly been so witty recently because once you correct her because she made one of her stupid puns, she can use her power to make you forget she just said something, and then say it as it was perfectly timed? So around Tattletale she was especially smart, because Tattletale always likes to tell people they are wrong...

Hahaha now I'm imagining Imp doing that when poo poo like Noelle was going down. "That poo poo can wait, I'm getting this right dammit."

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yep! That's apparently why she keeps fading out at random intervals everywhere. She's not THAT bad at controlling her power....just abusing it to undo anything dumb she said.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's... what most people would do really. If we're being honest with ourselves.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I finally caved in and read Worm, after hearing it praised in several other book barn threads.

It was worth it. It was a bloody ride, but it was worth it.

I want him to release a drat ebook already, so I can throw money at him and get it in an easier-to-read format.

RIP Clockblocker.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I want some closure with Dinah.

I wonder how many of these epilogues we'll get. Honestly, there's enough material to cover to keep Wildbow busy for quite some time.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I want some closure with Dinah.

I wonder how many of these epilogues we'll get. Honestly, there's enough material to cover to keep Wildbow busy for quite some time.

I think I read there were going to be either eight overall?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Piell posted:

I think I read there were going to be either eight overall?

I remeber wildbow saying that there would be five Epilogs and one Interlude. That was last week some time, though, so he may have made a more informative post since. I don't go through the comments beyond the first twelve hours or so-- they become unbearable fast.

[Edit] The "eight" number you're remembering might be in regards to the new "pilot" stories he's going to run to decide the next project. There's something like eight of those in the first round of candidates.

thorf
Jun 26, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I finally caved in and read Worm, after hearing it praised in several other book barn threads.

It was worth it. It was a bloody ride, but it was worth it.

I want him to release a drat ebook already, so I can throw money at him and get it in an easier-to-read format.

RIP Clockblocker.

When did Clockblocker die?

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
I think it was Scion, on the extra-dimensional oilrig, with the laser beam.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Happy Yeti posted:

I think it was Scion, on the extra-dimensional oilrig, with the laser beam.

Yeah. Glaistig claimed him, and used him later.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I've been meaning to read Worm for a while now, but always put it off...primarily because it was just a thing someone was putting on their blog. Finally decided to give it a chance yesterday, and I'm hooked. I'm doing my best to not read any posts in the thread in order to avoid spoilers, I just wanted to give a big thanks to the creator of the thread for convincing me to give it a shot.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Devorum posted:

I've been meaning to read Worm for a while now, but always put it off...primarily because it was just a thing someone was putting on their blog. Finally decided to give it a chance yesterday, and I'm hooked. I'm doing my best to not read any posts in the thread in order to avoid spoilers, I just wanted to give a big thanks to the creator of the thread for convincing me to give it a shot.

Worm really shouldn't be good. I mean it's super heroes and it's published by some dork on a blog on the internet.

This is two like, super big strikes against it.

It's amazing anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AgentHaiTo posted:

That and she's actually been making the effort to get smarter so she can be as big of an rear end in a top hat as Regent was.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Even though I know Imp is Grue's sister I always imagine her as a white girl for some reason.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's weird. You're weird.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Dickeye posted:

That and she's actually been making the effort to get smarter so she can be as big of an rear end in a top hat as Regent was.

It's not just that. Some of it is an attempt to emulate Taylor as well.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

NecroMonster posted:

It's not just that. Some of it is an attempt to emulate Taylor as well.

Wildbow really plans things out well. Imp's power is to be forgotten and yet she is putting so much energy into making sure people remember Taylor and Regent by trying to be like them.

And somehow her little family of Heartbreaker orphans fit her so well. That little girl freaked me out. Reminded me of that kid from the Twilight Zone who put you in the cornfields.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I went back to re-read the Leviathan attack on Brockton Bay. It's still good, and there's a lot of tension, but drat has wildbow improved his writing skills since that time.

I didn't catch it on the first read, but the early parts of Worm have of repeated phrases, awkward sentence structures, and other minor goofs.

I do have one question: If Leviathan can sink landmasses with tidal waves and other forces below the seabed, why does he surface at all? Why doesn't Behemoth just tunnel to wherever he wants to go? Why doesn't the Simurgh drop out of orbit onto her targets, do her thing, and leave?

Is it something to do with the speculation that they're Eidolon's projections? Do they come out for a fight because, otherwise, what's the point of their existence?

I love this story. I can't stop thinking about it; that hasn't happened to me in a long time.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Whether Eidolon or Eden, their role is to challenge parahumans and induce development through conflict. So they intentionally hold back, fight to better challenge whatever parahumans come up with, and to up the ante each time success is obtained. There are a few clues with Eidolon, as the Endbringers started seeking out powerful, but unstable parahumans to unleash on the world, perhaps to better challenge him. Noelle in Brockton Bay, Phir Se in India, the Yangban as a result of the oversea battle.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

From reading a lot of comments here and there, the main theory is that it was because the Endbringers were based on the Eden's simulation reality where they were used to cause conflict to test and grow the strength of the shards.

Coming from Eidolon in the actual reality, they still had that prime directive, but were also there to give Eidolon a challenge. They were actually not there to bring an end to the world at all.

I thought that was an interesting way to do that because we've all read comic books or any stories really where we wonder why the bad guys didn't end it early when they have so much power. In Wildbow's story, there is actually a reason for that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Someone in the comments section mentions other web seral things, and there's one called The Named that I can't track down. Anyone have a link to this one?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

I went back to re-read the Leviathan attack on Brockton Bay. It's still good, and there's a lot of tension, but drat has wildbow improved his writing skills since that time.

I didn't catch it on the first read, but the early parts of Worm have of repeated phrases, awkward sentence structures, and other minor goofs.

I do have one question: If Leviathan can sink landmasses with tidal waves and other forces below the seabed, why does he surface at all? Why doesn't Behemoth just tunnel to wherever he wants to go? Why doesn't the Simurgh drop out of orbit onto her targets, do her thing, and leave?

Is it something to do with the speculation that they're Eidolon's projections? Do they come out for a fight because, otherwise, what's the point of their existence?

I love this story. I can't stop thinking about it; that hasn't happened to me in a long time.

It's a question that's specifically asked (and hasn't been explicitly answered, but there are a lot of theories) in-world. Taylor, in particular, once she *realises* that the Endbringers are targetted (Behemoth in his on-screen appearance was shooting for Phir Se), straight up asks the question, in almost exactly those words.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a question that's specifically asked (and hasn't been explicitly answered, but there are a lot of theories) in-world. Taylor, in particular, once she *realises* that the Endbringers are targetted (Behemoth in his on-screen appearance was shooting for Phir Se), straight up asks the question, in almost exactly those words.

Yeah, I remember that.

I was hoping that I just missed the answer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The overriding theory is that they're there (for some reason and created/directed by someone) to provide something for capes to fight in order for their shards to develop, but that theory is not without its problems (mostly that they killed a gently caress of a lot of capes).

Scion implied that they were created specifically to give Eidolon a challenge - and again there's been much theorising about whether Eidolon created them or Scion did in some way because he needed Eidolon to develop, or whether the second entity did for the same reason, or who knows...

One of the things we're all desperately hoping for is that we'll actually get a canon answer on WTF they are before the sequel...

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I honestly hope there isn't a sequel. Worm was a great read and all, but I feel like the story should end here, after the epilogues are done, so we can get some closure. Continuing on and giving definite answers as to how the world changed for the worse/better would, at least to me, cheapen Taylor's sacrifice.

I mean gently caress, I'd read [something that nerds hate] fanfiction if Wildbow wrote it, but I think a sequel to Worm would just... I dunno, be kinda redundant.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
To me, it'd feel like reading the sequels to the Kushiel's Dart series. Still somewhat enjoyable but never with as much joy or fondness as for the voice of the first series.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

The overriding theory is that they're there (for some reason and created/directed by someone) to provide something for capes to fight in order for their shards to develop, but that theory is not without its problems (mostly that they killed a gently caress of a lot of capes).

Scion implied that they were created specifically to give Eidolon a challenge - and again there's been much theorising about whether Eidolon created them or Scion did in some way because he needed Eidolon to develop, or whether the second entity did for the same reason, or who knows...

One of the things we're all desperately hoping for is that we'll actually get a canon answer on WTF they are before the sequel...
The 2 are not mutually exclusive at all.

They are both to challenge shards in general and for Eidolon to test himself. The fact that shards influence the host personality is pretty clear. Eidolon clearly inherited at least a bit of that from the thinker. The fact that they killed a bunch of people is no problem at all, it's just a part of the simulation results, I mean the thinker died because of those simulations and the Simurgh helped kill Scion because of them.

If the endbringers really wanted to destroy the world, the Simurgh would have made it trivially easy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Simurgh could make anything trivially easy. She even thinks during the Doctor Mother interlude that her "blind spots" (at least Zion, maybe also Contessa and others) aren't really a problem because she can just "see" them by looking for the results of their actions.

Seriously, if The Simurgh is honestly evil everyone is in way more trouble than they can even comprehend.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You don't even know what the sequel would be about or who the main character would be, I think there are plenty more stories you could tell in the Wormiverse.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Couldn't tell anything like the same story though. He isn't going to be able to approach morality and consequence the same way with other characters, without them either feeling like shallow copies of Taylor or just lame.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
^^^ That too.

TOOT BOOT posted:

You don't even know what the sequel would be about or who the main character would be, I think there are plenty more stories you could tell in the Wormiverse.

Yeah, but the story escalated to the point that the characters were fighting what might as well be a god, and the only way to slow it down was to combine pretty much every power in the world, attack it emotionally, and hit it when it was vulnerable. There's pretty much no way for the stakes to get higher other than another pair of Worms showing up.

I mean, if Wildbow wants to tone it all the way down back to a more localised story like everything up to... Hell, lets say the timeskip, that'd be great. But if it were a direct continuation with all the same characters (minus Taylor of course), it probably wouldn't work out all that well.

I just don't want this to be like every sitcom ever where it eventually just devolves into the same thing all the time, muddled with love triangles and the occasional birth.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There are lots of good stories that could be written, of various lengths.

The interlude with the Travelers was really interesting and is a perfect example.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TOOT BOOT posted:

The odds are good that it'll feature the Sleeper though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm guessing that Wildbow has been moving away from Thursday updates because they are working on their next new thing in part? I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't remember so I'm not going to outright assume.

• Locked thread