Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Choco1980 posted:

I think the best case of sequence-breaking comes (appropriately enough considering) in Metroid Fusion, a game with a large amount of railroading. There's a point however, where if you do a very difficult set of physical manuvers, you can get to a late game location. The game actually throws in a special bit of dialogue crongratulating you for your accomplishment.

Then it traps you in the room forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Quoting a post from CD's Let's Watch (and discuss) Terry Gilliam's Brazil

In Brazil the main character, Sam, frequently has surreal/fantasy dream sequences that either reflect how he feels about his current situation or foreshadow later events in the film. A particular one of his fantasies features an antagonistic samurai character, whom Sam defeats. He then removes the Samurai's mask revealing Sam's own lifeless face underneath.

khwarezm posted:

Love this film, loving this thread. A funny little thing about the Samurai scene is that Gilliam uses it for a bit of a pun, Samurai='Sam, you are I'.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Nov 6, 2013

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.
In Chinatown, all the foreshadowing to the inevitable right eye.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.
I've been rewatching through Misfits since season 5 just dropped, and one little thing caught my eye this time around that I thought was really clever.

In the episode where Curtis ends up rewinding time all the way back to the day he gets made for holding, in his attempts to set things straight he keeps having to go back over and over again because somehow it always goes wrong. In one timeline, he manages to save his girlfriend Sam and ditch the drugs, but since he never gets caught for holding, it means he's not serving his ASBO at the community center with the rest of the gang after the storm, so when the probation worker ends up killing them. Curtis finds out as he walks by the center, where there is a memorial set up for the victims. While he's there, he runs into Nathan, the super cheeky kid in the group who, up until this point, has never been able to figure out what his power is. When Curtis see's him, he's got a giant gash on his head, and says that by the time they found him, he was half dead. He's the only one to survive the massacre. When he realizes its all his fault, Curtis rewinds time and tries again.

In the last episode, Nathan falls from the roof and gets impaled on a fence, only to wake up in his own coffin six feet under. He's immortal! One of the few reveals that really got me, they just sell it so well, with the rest of the gang trying to come to terms with what happened. The first time through it didn't even occur to me that they had foreshadowed it.

Watching back through has revealed a lot more about the show that I previously took it for. It's really well acted, really ingenious for it's low budget, and some of the camera work is really striking too. I highly recommend it!

"Can we PLEASE stop killing our probation workers!?"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

Watching back through has revealed a lot more about the show that I previously took it for. It's really well acted, really ingenious for it's low budget, and some of the camera work is really striking too. I highly recommend it!

Nathan is just such a wonderful character, he's the perfect lovable rear end in a top hat bastard. Such a shame Robert Sheehan left after series 2.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I only watched Misfits through series 3 and I think my life is all the better for it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I've been rewatching through Misfits since season 5 just dropped, and one little thing caught my eye this time around that I thought was really clever.

In the episode where Curtis ends up rewinding time all the way back to the day he gets made for holding, in his attempts to set things straight he keeps having to go back over and over again because somehow it always goes wrong. In one timeline, he manages to save his girlfriend Sam and ditch the drugs, but since he never gets caught for holding, it means he's not serving his ASBO at the community center with the rest of the gang after the storm, so when the probation worker ends up killing them. Curtis finds out as he walks by the center, where there is a memorial set up for the victims. While he's there, he runs into Nathan, the super cheeky kid in the group who, up until this point, has never been able to figure out what his power is. When Curtis see's him, he's got a giant gash on his head, and says that by the time they found him, he was half dead. He's the only one to survive the massacre. When he realizes its all his fault, Curtis rewinds time and tries again.

In the last episode, Nathan falls from the roof and gets impaled on a fence, only to wake up in his own coffin six feet under. He's immortal! One of the few reveals that really got me, they just sell it so well, with the rest of the gang trying to come to terms with what happened. The first time through it didn't even occur to me that they had foreshadowed it.

"Can we PLEASE stop killing our probation workers!?"

gently caress drat how did I miss that one? I guess it's one of those that only comes out on rewatching.

Misfits, sadly, keeps getting worse with every 'final series' that they do. The current one started badly (VERY VERY BADLY, buttrape is never an acceptable anything, and the whole 'can gently caress people's powers out of them' thing is just a hideous attempt to be over-offensive), but yesterday's ep was much, much better, they hit the creepy factor on the nose.

It's lost a lot from having precisely 0 of the original cast left. Some of the new ones are reasonable, but they're no Nathan and Simon.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Choco1980 posted:

I think the best case of sequence-breaking comes (appropriately enough considering) in Metroid Fusion, a game with a large amount of railroading. There's a point however, where if you do a very difficult set of physical manuvers, you can get to a late game location. The game actually throws in a special bit of dialogue crongratulating you for your accomplishment.

Yeah, modern Metroidvanias tend to put in some intentional sequence breaks to be found - Fusion and Zero Mission both have 'em. One of my favourite sequence breaks is in Shadow Complex - there's a trick you can do early on which gives you access to a hidden passage that lets you skip picking up a bunch of items and powers. But you still need to pick up the foam gun. The foam gun fires sticky hardening foam which helps you open specific doors and routes, but the goo it fires is a physics object in the world, and you can stand on it. You can also fire another blob which will stick to the first one, and they don't disappear. Once you've got the, you can go up top and bypass pretty much the entire game by building a massive physics-defying tower of hardened foam beneath your feet allowing you to scale an otherwise impassable mountain and jump over it. You can get from the start of the game to the final boss area in 20 minutes with this trick. There's an achievement for doing so.

Oh, and early in the game you can get back up to the starting point where you and your girlfriend originally drove in. Your car is still there. You can get in and drive off, abandoning your girlfriend to die. Your character drives off with a huge poo poo-eating grin on his face and a "Status Update: Single!" achievement drops.

Wait, this isn't the Little Things In Games thread!

thespaceinvader posted:

Misfits, sadly, keeps getting worse with every 'final series' that they do.

I'd love to see Misfits redone by better writers. It's a phenomenal show concept and, in fairness, the writers did some fantastic single episodes, but they hosed up the long-term stuff entirely. Probably the shark-jump moment was the one with the dairymancer guy. It was a really good episode idea, having this guy who seems like an idiot with a rubbish superpower, but he goes bad and actually manages to do real damage, killing people and even permanently crippling Nathan, but they couldn't think of a decent ending so they just had Curtis rewind time (again), making the whole episode basically pointless.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.

KozmoNaut posted:

Nathan is just such a wonderful character, he's the perfect lovable rear end in a top hat bastard. Such a shame Robert Sheehan left after series 2.

That was what originally made me give up on the series. I couldn't even make it through s3e1. As soon as Curtis revealed his new power was to switch genders on a whim, I dropped it. A friend recommended I give the later seasons a chance, so I'm giving it another go, and re-watching the early stuff really re-energized me to the show, but we'll see if I can actually make it over the season 3 hump this time or just have to call it a lost cause.

Oh, and so I'm not without "little things" content, I love the little (though not really subtle) things they do with the shadows in the opening credits to hint at everybody's powers. Between the little special effects and the song, it really makes for a perfect opener that matches the overall tone of the show.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I still watch the show with the new cast, but it's not as fun as it used to be. For me it ended when the whole double Simon/Alisha story ended. After that it feels more like a spinoff than a continuation of the original series.

Rudy is fun but no Nathan and I don't care for the rest of the new characters at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roger Tangerines posted:

I'd love to see Misfits redone by better writers. It's a phenomenal show concept and, in fairness, the writers did some fantastic single episodes, but they hosed up the long-term stuff entirely. Probably the shark-jump moment was the one with the dairymancer guy. It was a really good episode idea, having this guy who seems like an idiot with a rubbish superpower, but he goes bad and actually manages to do real damage, killing people and even permanently crippling Nathan, but they couldn't think of a decent ending so they just had Curtis rewind time (again), making the whole episode basically pointless.

But immediately after that they introduced the Power Broker specifically to get rid of Curtis's power, so they definitely realised that it was a better idea in concept than in practice.

My personal favourite use of the Power Broker was when the not-especially-bright Kelly took the power to be a rocket scientist, thinking that it would make her good at everything else because those things weren't exactly rocket science. Nope - it just made her fantastic at rocket science, with the added joke that nobody would take her rockets seriously because she wasn't good at anything else.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

In the Disney animated movie 'Hercules', when Hercules and Philoctetes first enter Thebes, they are accosted by a doom-sayer spouting "The end is nigh!". No more than 3 seconds later as they descend down some stairs the words 'Fin' are scrawled in graffiti on the wall behind them.

While Hercules got a poo poo ton of stuff wrong mythologically, it was right in Megara; that's the name of Hercules (Herakles)' first wife.

The green crones however should have been gray: The Gray Ones were a trio of one-eye-between-them gray women Perseus hit up.

I always always loved the segment in the song Zero to Hero when it shows Herc's adoptive parents...and that their tiny home is this massive palace now, and they have everything they could ever need. Even when Hercules finds out he's technically a god, and Zeus and Hera are his parents, he is still the son of that couple, and he never ever treats them otherwise.

Also, for Wreck-It Ralph, when Ralph is threatening King Candy (when Vanellope's run off to get her own cookie medal she made for Ralph), King Candy's panic is real: if Ralph kills him, he won't regenerate, because Sugar Rush isn't his game.

Fix-It Felix is a Good Guy in the fact that he can't even be mad at Ralph for running away, just as he doesn't seem angry when telling about Turbo. He is literally a guy who can't get upset or be negative at all; when there's the party scene in the apartment complex, he tries to make amends between Ralph and Gene when it comes to the cake without pointing out that Ralph has no reason to get a hero medal, and he also shows no animosity to Ralph when Ralph accidentally kills him when he comes into the party.

And lastly, Ralph would have lived up to his name had he never gone back to Sugar Rush; his actions in Hero's Duty would have literally wrecked every single game in the arcade. Oh, and Felix lives up to his name, not just by fixing all the poo poo Ralph has broken, but technically by doing the same with Calhoun's heart.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cowslips Warren posted:

And lastly, Ralph would have lived up to his name had he never gone back to Sugar Rush; his actions in Hero's Duty would have literally wrecked every single game in the arcade.
Well, not unless he still brought that one bug out of the game it's meant for.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Well, not unless he still brought that one bug out of the game it's meant for.

Sorry, I meant when he went back after seeing Vanellope on the game console. The bug had already laid a few thousand eggs, and chances are some of the bugs would have escaped before Calhoun set off the bomb. Game over.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cowslips Warren posted:

While Hercules got a poo poo ton of stuff wrong mythologically, it was right in Megara; that's the name of Hercules (Herakles)' first wife.

The green crones however should have been gray: The Gray Ones were a trio of one-eye-between-them gray women Perseus hit up.

I always always loved the segment in the song Zero to Hero when it shows Herc's adoptive parents...and that their tiny home is this massive palace now, and they have everything they could ever need. Even when Hercules finds out he's technically a god, and Zeus and Hera are his parents, he is still the son of that couple, and he never ever treats them otherwise.

Also, for Wreck-It Ralph, when Ralph is threatening King Candy (when Vanellope's run off to get her own cookie medal she made for Ralph), King Candy's panic is real: if Ralph kills him, he won't regenerate, because Sugar Rush isn't his game.

Fix-It Felix is a Good Guy in the fact that he can't even be mad at Ralph for running away, just as he doesn't seem angry when telling about Turbo. He is literally a guy who can't get upset or be negative at all; when there's the party scene in the apartment complex, he tries to make amends between Ralph and Gene when it comes to the cake without pointing out that Ralph has no reason to get a hero medal, and he also shows no animosity to Ralph when Ralph accidentally kills him when he comes into the party.

And lastly, Ralph would have lived up to his name had he never gone back to Sugar Rush; his actions in Hero's Duty would have literally wrecked every single game in the arcade. Oh, and Felix lives up to his name, not just by fixing all the poo poo Ralph has broken, but technically by doing the same with Calhoun's heart.

My favorite joke in Hercules was when he's standing still while a sculptor carves his likeness. His lion pelt in that scene looks like Scar from the Lion King. One of Herakles' first tasks was to slay the Nemean Lion, who he then skinned and wore as a pelt.

The "Going Turbo" line is great in Wreck-It Ralph. When you first hear it in the Villains Anonymous group, the first person to say, "You're not going Turbo, are you?" is Vega/M.Bison/Dictator from the Street Fighter series. Street Fighter 2 had many different versions, one of them being Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Anyone who played those games thought it was an in-joke, but then you find out how important it really is later on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I haven't seen Disney's Hercules, but if his mother was Hera you can add that to the poo poo ton of wrong. Hercules was a demigod only, his mother was Alcmene.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sorry, I meant when he went back after seeing Vanellope on the game console. The bug had already laid a few thousand eggs, and chances are some of the bugs would have escaped before Calhoun set off the bomb. Game over.
Oh, right. Yeah, that would have been messy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jedit posted:

I haven't seen Disney's Hercules, but if his mother was Hera you can add that to the poo poo ton of wrong. Hercules was a demigod only, his mother was Alcmene.

They make up their own poo poo in how he loses full godhood. It's better to watch the movie and look for all the nods to the myth than get mad over how they had to bowdlerize the story to fit Disney standards.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, right. Yeah, that would have been messy.

In short, Felix would have died, Vanellope would have died, probably almost everyone in Sugar Rush would have been eaten, Calhoun likely as well.

For Disney Hercules, it's easier to see the tiny things they got right rather than everything (which is pretty much the entire movie) wrong. But similar to Hunchback and Pocahontas, had they kept it even halfway right to detail, it couldn't be a Disney movie.

Speaking of Hunchback, the gargoyles being alive only exists in Quasi's mind; we never see them active when anyone else is around. Which means that while Quasi might be a little nuts, he also defended the bell tower from everyone by his loving self.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Speaking of Hunchback, the gargoyles being alive only exists in Quasi's mind; we never see them active when anyone else is around. Which means that while Quasi might be a little nuts, he also defended the bell tower from everyone by his loving self.

Nah, you see Hugo shooting bullets down at people attacking the tower, and they react to it. I really like the idea those loving gargoyles aren't real but they totally are.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The only Disney gargoyles I want to hear about are these guys:

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
edit: never mind.

Roger Tangerines has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Nov 8, 2013

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Please tell me there's a Hunchback rewrite out there with these gargoyles instead and they just gently caress everything up.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DrBouvenstein posted:

That show was so so good. Too good for a Disney toon. Between that and the Gargoyle's Quest games, I was left with a soft spot for the creatures in general. Kinda weird that Brooklyn's wings are invisible there.

(Also, am I the only one who noticed that the show's casting agent kind of used Star Trek: TNG cast members as shorthand for villain casting? )

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Choco1980 posted:

That show was so so good. Too good for a Disney toon. Between that and the Gargoyle's Quest games, I was left with a soft spot for the creatures in general. Kinda weird that Brooklyn's wings are invisible there.

(Also, am I the only one who noticed that the show's casting agent kind of used Star Trek: TNG cast members as shorthand for villain casting? )

Nope. And that's why I loved it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Action Tortoise posted:

My favorite joke in Hercules was when he's standing still while a sculptor carves his likeness. His lion pelt in that scene looks like Scar from the Lion King. One of Herakles' first tasks was to slay the Nemean Lion, who he then skinned and wore as a pelt.

And doesn't the bird in The Lion King mention he thinks Scar would make a fine throw rug or something like that?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Coffee And Pie posted:

And doesn't the bird in The Lion King mention he thinks Scar would make a fine throw rug or something like that?

And when he gets dirty you can take him out and beat him! (I'm so sorry.)

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Please tell me there's a Hunchback rewrite out there with these gargoyles instead and they just gently caress everything up.

Or in the Gargoyles-verse they could have used some kind of magical artifact to visit Notre Dame (actually this makes so much sense I'm not sure it didn't already happen).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Choco1980 posted:

Huh...yeah, I didn't even notice they were invisible.

It really was so good (aside from the God-awful third season. The creator/original show-runner had nothing to do with the third season aside from the first episode, and has sort of "renounced" it as 'Gargoyles canon,' if you can believe such a thing.

He also had several ideas for spin offs, one of which was "Timedancer" where Brooklyn started traveling through time randomly for, like, 40 years. He'd eventually end up in feudal Japan for a number of years and get a wife, and then go to the future where he would join the cast of a SECOND spin-off that was all about the offspring of the offspring of the current Gargoyles fighting off aliens, or something. They would be joined by the Easter Island alien they met in season 2, since his job was to stop these aliens in the first place and he FAILED...loser.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...yeah, I didn't even notice they were invisible.

It really was so good (aside from the God-awful third season. The creator/original show-runner had nothing to do with the third season aside from the first episode, and has sort of "renounced" it as 'Gargoyles canon,' if you can believe such a thing.

He also had several ideas for spin offs, one of which was "Timedancer" where Brooklyn started traveling through time randomly for, like, 40 years. He'd eventually end up in feudal Japan for a number of years and get a wife, and then go to the future where he would join the cast of a SECOND spin-off that was all about the offspring of the offspring of the current Gargoyles fighting off aliens, or something. They would be joined by the Easter Island alien they met in season 2, since his job was to stop these aliens in the first place and he FAILED...loser.

Was the third season when they did that poo poo with the Avalon stuff, the gargoyle eggs/babies, or was that with Foxx being the daughter of some fairy queen?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Season 3 was when ABC picked the show up for Saturday mornings, and the clan was now in the public eye. It was...weird.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was the third season when they did that poo poo with the Avalon stuff, the gargoyle eggs/babies, or was that with Foxx being the daughter of some fairy queen?

That was all second season, though to be fair, the second season was over 50 episodes, so practically three seasons worth of episodes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Iirc they brought in Frakes and he kinda pitched it around to his fellow TNG cast members.

Also, I don't think his wings are invisible; they're just lowered and out of frame.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

Brooklyn was the only name I could remember. Even Goliath took a second. If I ever have a kid whose a gargoyle I'm naming him Brooklyn.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Mokinokaro posted:

Iirc they brought in Frakes and he kinda pitched it around to his fellow TNG cast members.

Also, I don't think his wings are invisible; they're just lowered and out of frame.

They are invisible, If you look at Goliath's left arm you can see the outline of where they should be.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Hunchback Of Notre Dame is one of my favourite Disney movies (I can't think of one with better music aside from the Gargoyle's song) and yet I didn't get around to seeing it until I turned seventeen. Then again, its not the kind of movie I'd show to a really little kid.

In Shrek 2, King Harold gets asked by a frog at a bar if she knows him. He tells her that she's probably thinking of somebody else. At the end of the movie, he turns into a frog.

Requiem Fur Laika
Dec 2, 2007

Rude Dog

And the Dweebs!

Oh, and so I'm not without "little things" content, I love the little (though not really subtle) things they do with the shadows in the opening credits to hint at everybody's powers. Between the little special effects and the song, it really makes for a perfect opener that matches the overall tone of the show.

This was one of my favourite parts of the show as well, in particular Nathan's shadow. When Nathan appears on screen he is followed by a wolf shadow. Seeing as how Nathan was the only one who appeared to not gain any super powers after the storm, I thought this was a little bit of foreshadowing as to what his power would eventually be... until the episode where it's revealed that it is his step father who is a werewolf (of sorts).
It was some misdirection to prevent viewers from guessing Nathan's power, or at least that's how it appeared to me, I could be wrong.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Requiem Fur Laika posted:

This was one of my favourite parts of the show as well, in particular Nathan's shadow. When Nathan appears on screen he is followed by a wolf shadow. Seeing as how Nathan was the only one who appeared to not gain any super powers after the storm, I thought this was a little bit of foreshadowing as to what his power would eventually be... until the episode where it's revealed that it is his step father who is a werewolf (of sorts).
It was some misdirection to prevent viewers from guessing Nathan's power, or at least that's how it appeared to me, I could be wrong.

I think the shadow is meant to be a black dog.

In British folklore, it is an omen of death. Death is chasing Nathan but can never catch him.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If Nathan wasn't a loudmouth dumbfuck he would have a pretty easy time in prison all things considered with his last power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wasn't his last power before leaving the show forever cheating at cards?