Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Emalde posted:

Mega Banette is really, really bad due to fixed turn order. Literally every other Mega is serviceable in some fashion, but wasting an m.evo on Banette is completely pointless when every other prankster can do what it does but much better without the need to waste a turn on protect and can still have a hold item.

I already explained a few pages ago that Banette does a lot more than just prankster though so protect is a completely wasted slot on him. If prankster was the only thing he had going for him he would suck, but he also packs a monstrous attack stat. Not the best mega but he's definitely better than some of the other ones I've seen. This is in addition to the free frisk he gets so you can scout your opponents strategy.

He's not great, but at the very least he turns Banette into a more usable pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I am Reverend posted:

Manectric is pretty bad because you're wasting your mega slot on a slightly better Jolteon. Mega Aerodactyl has the same problem where it's barely better than regular Aerodactyl at the cost of a mega slot. Mega Houndoom, Gyarados and Venusaur all arguably get worse when then Mega Evolve (Houndoom loses Flash Fire which gave it the ability to switch in and trap Chandelure and a few other things, Gyarados loses Intimidate and Moxie and gets a much worse typing, and Venusaur loses Chlorophyll and gets no outstanding boost to any particular stat unlike any other mega evo).

Mega Gyarados is a ridiculously good lure for Rotom-W, though I imagine as time goes on people will get better about not immediately switching it in to Gyarados without figuring out its item. The big thing with Gyarados is knowing when to mega evolve, you can keep your flying typing if you need it to check Scizor or whatever since Gyarados is one of the few Megas that are actually competent without evolving.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The gently caress? I just checked a Bulbapedia page for an old Pokemon and it is still showing Gen 5 movepools.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

notthegoatseguy posted:

The gently caress? I just checked a Bulbapedia page for an old Pokemon and it is still showing Gen 5 movepools.

It takes time to update a website for over 700 monsters with info from a game that's only been out for a month with data that can't be ripped straight from the code.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm actually a big fan of Mega Heracross. While I can't use him at the moment because Breloom is my favorite, I ran with him for a while and he can wreck some stuff pretty hard with Skill Link Bullet Seed, especially while Rotom-W is so popular and it can smash through Substitutes/Sashes.
Mega Heracross is a loving badass on a Trick Room team, especially since Trick Room is fairly sparse for available Megas (there's Heracross, Mawile, and Aggron basically).

Really though Heracross getting Bullet Seed at all is a huge buff, a lot of things that liked to counter Heracross don't like Grass so it helps him a bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Crosscontaminant posted:

I've not heard anything about Mega Medicham either.

He's pretty beastly just overshadowed in popularity by Megaskhan. I run him and he's a Guru of death. Trying to breed one atm to get both Bullet Punch and Psycho Cut on one.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 8, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

How do you get the PSS to register a second location? It's saying I'm in the UK, but I haven't played there for weeks and started a new game anyway. Apparently I'm in France according to http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/ which isn't true either but would work for the purposes of more Pokemiles. Google isn't helping figure it out.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
How do I make my Pidgeotto good? :[ One of my favorite old school pokemans but holy poo poo it's getting 2 shot and out-initiative'd by pokemon 3-4 levels lower than it. It's level 30 right now and loving Gust is all it's learned for flying moves!!! I was looking at Pidgeot's learning chart and I can't believe it doesn't learn Aerial Ace or Steel Wing or anything anymore

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Razzled posted:

How do I make my Pidgeotto good? :[ One of my favorite old school pokemans but holy poo poo it's getting 2 shot and out-initiative'd by pokemon 3-4 levels lower than it. It's level 30 right now and loving Gust is all it's learned for flying moves!!! I was looking at Pidgeot's learning chart and I can't believe it doesn't learn Aerial Ace or Steel Wing or anything anymore

It never did learn Aerial Ace or Steel Wing via level-up; those are TM moves that it can still learn via TM. Pidgeot is honestly pretty bad, but if you're committed to using one, teach it Return. It's going to be your main source of damage.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Razzled posted:

Aerial Ace is a TM. Steel Wing is an egg move as well as Brave Bird.

But yeah its level up movepool kind of sucks, sorry.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can teach it stuff, but the fact of the matter is that the other lovely Birds are generally going to eclipse it. Unfezant learns Taunt and Hypnosis, Swellow has Guts, Staraptor has great stats and Close Combat, and Talonflame has priority, great Attack/Speed, and Flare Blitz.

I guess Pidgeot might be better than Fearow, but that's really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Best bet is teach it Return and Aerial Ace from TMs (or breed Brave Bird), give it U-Turn as well, and boost its Attack and Speed EVs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Razzled posted:

I used Pidgey the whole game and I'm pretty sure my move pool was terrible until level 40. Something like Tackle/Gust/Quick Attack/Twister until I got Wing Attack and Air Slash.

edit: Oh, forgot about Fly

Harlock fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 8, 2013

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
How does breeding multiple moves work? Say I want to breed Ion Deluge and Baton Pass onto my Emolga. Ion Deluge would be from Zebrastika and Baton Pass from whoever (been using Eevee), do I have to get a Zebrastika that knows both these moves and then breed it with an Emolga and hope for the best? Can you even inherit two moves at once?

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I want a Youkai-themed team. I've got Mawile, Froslass and Shiftry, but what else is there?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baron La Croix posted:

I want a Youkai-themed team. I've got Mawile, Froslass and Shiftry, but what else is there?

You somehow forgot Ninetales. :colbert:

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Kikas posted:

How does breeding multiple moves work? Say I want to breed Ion Deluge and Baton Pass onto my Emolga. Ion Deluge would be from Zebrastika and Baton Pass from whoever (been using Eevee), do I have to get a Zebrastika that knows both these moves and then breed it with an Emolga and hope for the best? Can you even inherit two moves at once?

It used to be that egg moves could only be passed down through the male, now both parents can pass down moves. So you can just breed Baton Pass onto a female Emolga, then breed it with whatever has Ion Deluge. I was breeding Crawdaunts with Dittos and they were passing down both Aqua Jet and Dragon Dance, so apparently there is no limit to how many moves you can pass on as long as at least one of the parents knows them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

Pangoro/Pancham are my new favorite Pokemon from this generation. Dude was a physical sweeper through and through, and even outspeeded a lot of people - which I guess he has decent speed?

Also, Skiddo is too cute to evolve.

I have a shiny one and I refuse to evolve it because it would lose the golden horns.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Espurrs are great, they're one of my favorite designs of this gen actually just because of their expressions :3:

This is from a few pages back. But... did you guys know that Espurrs have eyes under their ears? And that they cover them up to hide their psychic power? Did you also know the raw terror that I experienced when I unknowingly caught a glimpse of them? Seriously check it out. Click on your Espurr in the summary screen. It's eerie... Which I have to admit is in line for Espurr.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Baron La Croix posted:

Persian, Ninetales, Bronzong, Banette, Chimecho, Darmanitan, Claydol. There are probably more but I'm not especially keen on my folklore.

E: loving duh, Slowbro/Slowking

Emalde fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 8, 2013

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Espeon's split tail and catlike appearance might be inspired by a Bakeneko?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Battle Pigeon posted:

How do you get the PSS to register a second location? It's saying I'm in the UK, but I haven't played there for weeks and started a new game anyway. Apparently I'm in France according to http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/ which isn't true either but would work for the purposes of more Pokemiles. Google isn't helping figure it out.

Your PSS location is set to whatever your 3DS's current region is set to.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

W.T. Fits posted:

Your PSS location is set to whatever your 3DS's current region is set to.

Dammit, that's so obvious now it's embarrassing. Thanks!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FauxGateau posted:

This is from a few pages back. But... did you guys know that Espurrs have eyes under their ears? And that they cover them up to hide their psychic power? Did you also know the raw terror that I experienced when I unknowingly caught a glimpse of them? Seriously check it out. Click on your Espurr in the summary screen. It's eerie... Which I have to admit is in line for Espurr.

Well yeah that's their (and Meowstics) gimmick. They're little balls of Psychic fury that try their best to mask their emotions so that psychic maelstrom doesn't break loose. It's why they look so pissed when they throw the ears up for attacks.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to warm up to Hamsterchu.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ I hate rodent pokemon, you know they carry pestilence in adorable cockfighting monster world as much as they do in real life :colbert:

notthegoatseguy posted:

You'll have better luck with Serebii right now, Bulbapedia is being a little hard-assed about locking their edits at the moment.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well yeah that's their (and Meowstics) gimmick. They're little balls of Psychic fury that try their best to mask their emotions so that psychic maelstrom doesn't break loose. It's why they look so pissed when they throw the ears up for attacks.

Man. Espurrs are awesome. Probably the coolest cat pokemon in a long time.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

The White Dragon posted:

^ I hate rodent pokemon, you know they carry pestilence in adorable cockfighting monster world as much as they do in real life :colbert:

Interesting that you say that, the Dedenne I caught for dex completeion had Pokerus.

FauxGateau posted:

I knew there was something creepy about them, I just couldn't figure out what it was.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Kikas posted:

It used to be just the father, now the mother can pass egg moves. So you need a female Emolga, breed the first move on, wait until you hatch a female Emolga with that move. Then breed that with the second move-father, the mother will pass the first egg move and the father the second. The second born generation will all have both egg moves.

You can inherit four moves, my Eevee batches were all coming out with wish/covet/bite/baby doll eyes.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's pretty beastly just overshadowed in popularity by Megaskhan. I run him and he's a Guru of death. Trying to breed one atm to get both Bullet Punch and Psycho Cut on one.

I think I still have a box full of these exact kind of meditites. I was using Mega Medicham. He's so frail, and with no item, its hard to get him in safely to be the bringer of zen death. But man, when he gets a good switch, he can hurt so bad. Talon flame on the other hand, is a pretty strong counter with gale force.

Meowstics eyes lose their pupils when using attacks- their pupils go up into their ears. I was very creeped out when I saw that for the first time. It also made me catch one as soon as I realized because creepy possessed french cats are cool.

cancerianmoth fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 8, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just hatched a shiny Gastly!

I'm thrilled and thankful that I don't care about natures! A perk of being oblivious to the metagame!

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Does anyone have a friend safari with both a Dunsparce and Lillipup? I'm trying to catch a shiny version of both and I hear the Friend Safari shiny rates are crazy.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Mega Medicham with fake out + bullet punch could probably KO quite a lot of frail sweepers. He seems to work best as a lead, he's quick and will punch a hole in a lot of things, has some good coverage with the elemental punches + HJK +the Psychic physical attacks.

I wanted a bulky drain punch set to work but even with his boosted HP he's still frail and maxed out HJK is too good to overlook.

Denarius
Feb 25, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have a shiny one and I refuse to evolve it because it would lose the golden horns.

Doesn't shiny gogoat have golden horns as well? This video shows it pretty well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baron La Croix posted:

Golduck :colbert:

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!
This talk of breeding perfect EVs is dizzying when I still haven't beaten the game yet.. I never really bred much except to get the babies.

Amarie fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 8, 2013

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Or the Ludicolo line.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Is there anywhere were I can find all the Menu skins you get from the Amie stuff? I could have sworn Serebii had a page on it but now I can't find them.

NEVERMIND they're just in the Options menu. Cockpit menu is so goooood.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 8, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh my God the Sundae Dress is so hideous.

I love it :unsmigghh:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Do any of you cats have friend safaris with Sableye ??

5215 0019 4882

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Finally beat the game earlier this week.

Line up was:
Frogue the Greninja
Kermit the Heliolisk
Toxicroak the Toxicroak (traded)
Big O the Golurk
Albert the Tyrantrum
Ladyboy the Gardevoir

Kermit and Big O suprised me the most on the E4/Champion fights, since I was having trouble with them while I was leveling (every loving thing has Earthquake or Sucker Punch when I'm just trying to get them exp.) Giving Kermit a damprock while having dryskin added a fun bit of strategy, and Big O destroying half of Diantha's team after getting knocked around by the E4 was invigorating.

Also, having a Golurk one-shot things with Fly will never stop being funny to me.

• Locked thread