Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Posting again in the hopes that somebody can help me out:

So I have a quick question about eggs moves.

Currently I'm trying to get a Forretress with Stealth Rock on it. I have a Dwebble which can breed with Forretress, and Dwebble learns stealth rock. If I were to breed male dwebble (knowing Stealth Rock) with a female Forretress, presumably I would get a Pineco with Stealth Rock on it, as I understand it.

Now, my question is, let's say I end up with this Pineco that knows Stealth Rock. If I breed that with other Forretress/Pineco, will it be able to pass on Stealth Rock to any offspring? Or must my final Pineco have the Dwebble be one of its parents? Thanks for any help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

BattleMaster posted:

Oh my God the Sundae Dress is so hideous.

I love it :unsmigghh:

It really is, I was disappointed :(

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

As of this gen, mothers can also pass on egg moves.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Egg moves are passed if any parent knows them, regardless of how they came to know them. The game just looks at both parents, sees if a valid egg move exists on either, and hatches the baby with that move. So once you breed an egg move onto a species, it will stay within that species as long as you keep at least one parent knowing the move.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

BattleCake posted:

Now, my question is, let's say I end up with this Pineco that knows Stealth Rock. If I breed that with other Forretress/Pineco, will it be able to pass on Stealth Rock to any offspring? Or must my final Pineco have the Dwebble be one of its parents? Thanks for any help

Yes, if a Pokemon has learned an egg move trough breeding, it will give the egg move to its offspring even if the other parent doesn't have the egg move.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Braviary hasn't done well out of the transition to 3D. It was pretty cool looking in gen 5, but its 3D model has too long a neck - it makes it look dopey rather than impressive. It's a shame. Overall I think most pokemon look pretty good in 3D. Which others have bad-looking models? (excepting mons which look bad by design e.g. Garbodor)

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Hammerite posted:

Braviary hasn't done well out of the transition to 3D. It was pretty cool looking in gen 5, but its 3D model has too long a neck - it makes it look dopey rather than impressive. It's a shame. Overall I think most pokemon look pretty good in 3D. Which others have bad-looking models? (excepting mons which look bad by design e.g. Garbodor)

Xatu is absolute garbage in 3D. He is a totem pole, he's not supposed to fly that way :argh:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Have they made breeding for perfect poke stats easier? I mean, besides the fact that you get 2IV pokes from the friend safari. It takes several generations to get them to 5IV level but it seems like once I have parents that are 5IV pokes, I get 6IV pokes in ~8-9 eggs. This has happened thrice, now, all males, so I have studs I can use for monster/dragon, field, and water 3.

Shouldn't the odds, assuming the parents have IV spreads that complement each other, still be (1/31)*(1/2)*(1/2) [hopefully that's the right calculation for the destiny knot to choose the correct IV in the parent that has the 31]? Am I just incredibly lucky or is that not how it's calculated it at all?

e: Just so I don't sound like the spergiest here :ironicat:, I was merely attempting to get a 5IV spread that didn't care about the poke's least useful stat. I just noticed after it happened again and again.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I think Machamp didn't do too well in the transition. His extra arms look really awkward.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Hammerite posted:

Another Goon pointed out to me the other day that Rampardos did not exactly transition great to this game. Looks rather fat and not so intimidating:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/409.shtml

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Hammerite posted:

Fox of Stone posted:

Shouldn't the odds, assuming the parents have IV spreads that complement each other, still be (1/31)*(1/2)*(1/2) [hopefully that's the right calculation for the destiny knot to choose the correct IV in the parent that has the 31]? Am I just incredibly lucky or is that not how it's calculated it at all?

You have a 1/6 chance of having the correct EV spread inherited from the parents, and then a 1/32 chance that the remaining IV will just randomly roll perfect, for a total of almost 1/200 chance of getting a Pokemon with six perfect IVs from two parents wtih five. You've just gotten really, really lucky.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Hammerite posted:

Dragonite looks hideous with its pasted-on eyes. Drudiggon, on the other hand, looks so fantastic (his sprite in B/W was :barf:)

Edit: ^^^^ Archeops animation rules and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Desperate Character posted:

Dragonite looks hideous with its pasted-on eyes. Drudiggon, on the other hand, looks so fantastic (his sprite in B/W was :barf:)

Electrode's pasted-on eyes/face, however, are amazing.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

BattleCake posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Another Goon pointed out to me the other day that Rampardos did not exactly transition great to this game. Looks rather fat and not so intimidating:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/409.shtml

I think his chunkiness is quite endearing but his arms look really creepy. They're like tiny zombie arms.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

gently caress you guys, Archeops was always a big doof and his 3D model is perfect.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Torkoal's omnidirectional sprite smoke is the worst looking thing in the game

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

nippon nifties posted:

Torkoal's omnidirectional sprite smoke is the worst looking thing in the game

Oh, christ, I forgot about that. Yeah, that's loving awful.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Eelektross just looks wrong now. It's a bit like Xatu where the orientation of the model doesn't make sense. It seems that they cut corners by reusing certain model positions, so Eelektross uses the "swimming" animation and Xatu uses the "cruising" animation.

It's possible it was done for Sky Battles or something, but Xatu not standing up straight and keeping its wings folded is wrong and nothing about it will ever make it right. :colbert:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I hadn't seen that yet, that's definitely the worst I've seen. Why does it have ankle muffs? The animation is super unimpressive, too. It looks like it's in a cartoon and the ground has just gone from under its feet and it's flailing its arms comically for a second or two before it falls.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I just miss Eelektross's awesome goofy dance. :(

And Xatu should just float vertically.

I really like Archeops though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Hammerite posted:

I hadn't seen that yet, that's definitely the worst I've seen. Why does it have ankle muffs? The animation is super unimpressive, too. It looks like it's in a cartoon and the ground has just gone from under its feet and it's flailing its arms comically for a second or two before it falls.
There's a reason it's extinct.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

McDragon posted:

I just miss Eelektross's awesome goofy dance. :(

And Xatu should just float vertically.

I really like Archeops though.
I'm just dissapointed that Eelektross actually levitates now. :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Starsnostars posted:

I think Machamp didn't do too well in the transition. His extra arms look really awkward.

Yeah Machamp looks really ugly, and I wasn't bothered by him in any of the previous games.

Not totally related, but I thought Malamar's goofy fin feet would be super distracting and ugly ingame but I don't mind them at all. Probably because the rest of his model looks amazing in 3D.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Hammerite posted:

Archeops is the First Bird pokemon though. The animation makes sense to me as it's less flying and more leaping tall tyranitars in a single bound

You're crazy if you hate those kicking rad 70s ankle muffs though. Maybe you need to get some more style points :colbert:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
OK, so I'd like some advice on filling out my team. So far, I've got:

Galvantula@Focus Sash
Compound Eyes
-Sticky Web
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Volt Switch

Venusaur@Venusaurite
Thick Fat
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain
-Synthesis
-Toxic

Slowbro@Leftovers
Regenerator
-Slack Off
-Thunder Wave
-Scald
-Psychic

Zoroark@Expert Belt
Illusion
-Taunt
-Flamethrower
-Night Daze
-Shadow Ball

Lucario@Life Orb
Inner Focus
-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-Extreme Speed

I'm pretty much brand new to actual competitive battling so tear me apart. I need a sixth guy to round it out, and any corrections on glaring problems or type coverage I may have missed would be appreciated.

A Pretentious Owl
Mar 31, 2011

EB: it is true, it is a fact from an alien.
I don't think anyone was a huge fan of it to start with, but Watchog didn't transition too gracefully, if you ask me. I didn't mind it in Black/White, but all of his limbs and his body got fatter in 3D, and he looks less like a meerkat/groundhog with these chubby forearms.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A Pretentious Owl posted:

I don't think anyone was a huge fan of it to start with, but Watchog didn't transition too gracefully, if you ask me. I didn't mind it in Black/White, but all of his limbs and his body got fatter in 3D, and he looks less like a meerkat/groundhog with these chubby forearms.

I actually really liked Watchog when I got him in White, but he has loving awful stats and moves so I ditched him. His transition to 3D is awful, he doesn't look nearly as intimidating.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I feel Sentret got the worse transition. It looks to fat to stand on it's tail like it did in every other gen.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I decided to take my Battle Maison team to wi-fi heres my first match - VEPG-WWWW-WWW2-L7UP.

Mega kangaskhan is a beast and I only used power up punch once.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a great animation, but a lovely model.
Considering what Xatu, Skarmory and Tropius got, it's a shame because they can really nail it if they want to.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I can't be sure but I think that's the same animation that Zubat and Woobat and Noibat use.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Do you have a source for this and are there any more? I'd love a surskit gif.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hammerite posted:

(excepting mons which look bad by design e.g. Garbodor)

Garbodor looks amazing! Those things are massive.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Unbound posted:

I feel Sentret got the worse transition. It looks to fat to stand on it's tail like it did in every other gen.

Sentret looks awful and not like the cute little guy who stood on his tail in other gens. I was really disappointed in how it looks.

Someone else already mentioned it but I just saw a Tropius in my brother's friend safari today and thought it looked terrible. I know it's a flying type but just seeing it glide in place is ridiculous.

Man I'm getting so tired of seeing Dragon/Dark/Steel type HPs on my Poliwag. :sigh:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I really like the sense of scale the new models give. Nidoking is so much shorter than I always imagined. And Flabebe and Floette are just so goddamn tiny. Also Garbodor owns really hard and can only be appreciated by true trainers with a more refined palate.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Garbodor for Pokemon of the Century.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Denarius posted:

Doesn't shiny gogoat have golden horns as well? This video shows it pretty well.

Every picture I've seen of it didn't look golden to me. That looks more-so but it's definitely darker than Skiddo. Golgoat 13 must have the goldest of golden horns. :colbert:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Man I'm getting so tired of seeing Dragon/Dark/Steel type HPs on my Poliwag. :sigh:

Emalde posted:

It's actively harder since now that you can easily secure five 31s, you need to use less-capable parents to ensure you aren't stuck with HP Dark/Steel.

If you are breeding 4V-5V pokemon, expect nothing other than those three.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Also, Garbodor is one of the few pokemon whose cry sounds like their name.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

:allears:

Wish I thought of that myself.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Also, Garbodor is one of the few pokemon whose cry sounds like their name.
:colbert:
It should be, "Kill me"

• Locked thread