Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Emalde posted:

If you are breeding 4V-5V pokemon, expect nothing other than those three.

Well poo poo. I guess I'll take the Destiny Knot off the one then. Has anyone figured out how Hidden Power works in this gen yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there some repository that shows all the shiny Pokes for this gen? I'm trying to find a shiny Abra (and Elekid) but if I follow previous gens, they pretty much look the exact same.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Sanctum posted:

What are good wall pokemon for the role of annoyer/staller?

I just bred a Shuckle for Maison, which kinda works unless Maison bullshits you. Which it does.

As for online battles, my Shuckle has taken out MKKhan, that was pretty funny.

Shuckle@Leftovers
Impish
Contrary
252Def/252SpD/4HP
Infestation
Rest
Power Split
Shell Smash

Power Split right off to essentially half their attack, followed by Infestation/Shell smash depending on how much their first hit got you for. Infestation prevents them from switching out, so they're just gonna have to deal with doing 10 damage to you per turn. Then hit up Rest after setting up Infestation to heal up and wake up to set up Infestation again.

Infestation affects all pokemon and hits for 1/8 max hp per turn.

I'm probably going to take him off my team though, because I want those leftovers on my Rotom-W.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

A lot of the gen 1/2 shinies are really mild recolorings because of the GBC's limited colors. :( But then you get things like shiny Charizard and it owns

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Has anyone figured out how Hidden Power works in this gen yet?

Exactly the same way it has in the last three gens. Which also means HP Fairy doesn't exist.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

noirstronaut posted:

Is there some repository that shows all the shiny Pokes for this gen? I'm trying to find a shiny Abra (and Elekid) but if I follow previous gens, they pretty much look the exact same.

None of the previous gen mons are going to get a shiny color that's different from what they used to have. Also:

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Is it even possible to get the hidden abilities for fossil pokemon before the poke bank opens? I'm getting to the point where I'd trade my Yveltal for a storm drain Lileep.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shiny Pikachu is one of my favorites and the change is so slight. It's just a better color palette to be warmer. Makes the contrast work better. Shiny Nidorans are neat because they're swapped colors until you get to the final evolution which just goes out into space. Green Nidoqueen and bright blue Nidoking.

Would've been neat if all the shiny Eeveeloutions were just the regular Eevee colors.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Harlock posted:

Would've been neat if all the shiny Eeveeloutions were just the regular Eevee colors.

But then I wouldn't have a lime green alien cat thing, and that would be terrible.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Strange Quark posted:

None of the previous gen mons are going to get a shiny color that's different from what they used to have. Also:

Some have. Namely Electabuzz, who is now pink instead of dark yellow.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there anything in the way of a hard counter to MKKhan? He'll still go down to a solid fighting type move and some statuses, right?

Also, what happens if another Pokemon Traces his ability?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harlock posted:

Nah, it'd be overdone.
And you'd miss out on Carbuncle Espeon.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm planning on making a priority screener, and my two options are Hidden Ability Male Meowstic, and Klefki. The goal is to get both Reflect and Light Screen out before going down, and I'm wondering if there's any way to reliably get both of these out in doubles without using a Focus Sash, so I can get the additional turns from the clay.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

everythingWasBees posted:

and I'm wondering if there's any way to reliably get both of these out in doubles without using a Focus Sash, so I can get the additional turns from the clay.

By using Klefki.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You get an Alakazam who attacks twice per turn.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The Friend Safari is... kinda underwhelming. I dunno why I expected more, but it's literally just a square where you find three Pokemon.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

The Friend Safari is... kinda underwhelming. I dunno why I expected more, but it's literally just a square where you find three Pokemon.

If it were anything else, it'd be painfully arduous. I absolutely love it the way it is.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LAY-ZX posted:

Exactly the same way it has in the last three gens. Which also means HP Fairy doesn't exist.

This isn't true.

It used to be that Hidden Power's BP and type were deterimed by the Pokemon's IVs. Now the BP is fixed at 60, so there is in fact a Hidden Power Fairy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Emalde posted:

If it were anything else, it'd be painfully arduous. I absolutely love it the way it is.

I mean, I like how easy it is to find those Pokes, but hot drat I just miss the Safari Zone.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there anything in the way of a hard counter to MKKhan? He'll still go down to a solid fighting type move and some statuses, right?

I use Aegislash for MKKahn. I can generally negate his Power-up Punch by switching to him and then drop him in a couple Sacred Swords. Just gotta make sure they aren't going to fake-out on me.

I've used a Mega Alakazam on him and then just destroyed with two attacks per turn.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, I like how easy it is to find those Pokes, but hot drat I just miss the Safari Zone.

Why?

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Woohoo! Just Masuda'd myself a second shiny Spiritomb, now I can trade for anything I want. I just don't know what I want yet. :D

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The only problem I have with the friend safari is that it's kind of a mess how they set some things up, like a few of my friends literally never get online on their game so I'll never see the third Pokemon in their safari. Same with hidden abilities, I'd be fine with it if it was "Pokemon found here have a small chance to have their hidden ability" but requiring the person to be online at the same time as you is frustrating since again, not everybody gets online on their 3DS.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

CherryCat posted:

Woohoo! Just Masuda'd myself a second shiny Spiritomb, now I can trade for anything I want. I just don't know what I want yet. :D

Where did you get a Spiritomb? I've wanted to use one for a while, but never got around to getting one before.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

I dunno, it was like happy hunting where no one dies and you just get more friends.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Nothing hard counters every set but if MegaKanga isn't running Crunch, Jellicent is a hard counter, and MegaKanga needs to run Fire Punch to beat Skarmory (Fire Punch won't be legal ingame until Pokébank).

On showdown Aegislash is currently a better counter than it should be thanks to a bug with King's Shield and Sucker Punch. When you Sucker Punch into King's Shield, the move should fail (since Aegislash didn't use an attacking move) and you should get no stat drop. Currently on showdown, Sucker Punching into King's Shield gives Kanga -2 attack, making it much harder to cope with Aegislash- you need Earthquake to beat it.

If you aren't careful with MegaVolving a lot of ghosts can switch in on your Power Up Punch, make the move fail, and burn you while you're still stuck at +0 attack. You need to make sure you stay in normal form so you can hit them with Scrappy and get a PuP boost.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Got it in a friend safari, I've got boxes full of them if you want one FC is 2552-1731-1897. Either PM me or pop over to the trading thread and we can sort it out. :)

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't true.

It used to be that Hidden Power's BP and type were deterimed by the Pokemon's IVs. Now the BP is fixed at 60, so there is in fact a Hidden Power Fairy.

The damage calculation is thrown out, but the way it determines type is exactly the same, so no Fairy.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't true.

The type is still determined in the same way, the power just doesn't vary. If there is a Hidden Power Fairy, I haven't seen anyone say they have gotten it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

so there is in fact a Hidden Power Fairy.

There sure as hell isn't, nor is there an HP Normal.

It is indeed literally still the same as it has been since Gen 3, just that the BP is fixed.

e: dang super beaten

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Thank you Emalde! Finally got my HP Grass Swift Swim Poliwag. Max IVs in HP/Def/SpD, which is probably the best three. Now to stop breeding for a while and get back to filling in the Pokedex for that Oval Charm.

But one final question. Goodra and Politoed are going to be two of my Super Doubles team. I figure I'll throw Kingdra in there because it's pretty good, but what should the fourth be? I'm leaning towards Mega Venusaur so it can Toxic things and Leech Seed them, plus it isn't as dependent on rain as say, Ludicolo would be. Nothing against Ludicolo, it's great, but I feel like it might hinder me to have two teammates dependent on rain in case the game throws an enemy weather changer at me or something with Cloud Nine.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Octag posted:

Nothing hard counters every set but if MegaKanga isn't running Crunch, Jellicent is a hard counter, and MegaKanga needs to run Fire Punch to beat Skarmory (Fire Punch won't be legal ingame until Pokébank).

On showdown Aegislash is currently a better counter than it should be thanks to a bug with King's Shield and Sucker Punch. When you Sucker Punch into King's Shield, the move should fail (since Aegislash didn't use an attacking move) and you should get no stat drop. Currently on showdown, Sucker Punching into King's Shield gives Kanga -2 attack, making it much harder to cope with Aegislash- you need Earthquake to beat it.

If you aren't careful with MegaVolving a lot of ghosts can switch in on your Power Up Punch, make the move fail, and burn you while you're still stuck at +0 attack. You need to make sure you stay in normal form so you can hit them with Scrappy and get a PuP boost.

Skarmory is also neutral to crunch, and at +2 neutral hits destroy all but the walliest walls. Switching in a ghost is a good idea but if your opponent anticipates it then you've wasted your turn like s/he would have wasted yours.

I ran into mega kanga three times on wi-fi and I can tell you the best counter is mega kanga - or at least my one is just better than everyone elses. Jolly PuP, Crunch, Sucker Punch and Return. I kind of feel bad about doubling up on dark when Kanga is usually partnered with my Togekiss and so could be running earthquake - at least until sucker punch takes out megadactyl and Crunch finishes off a Gengar that was doing statusy stuff.

EDIT - all the Kangas i've fought so far have been using fake out. Sure an attak that flinches an opponent is good, but Kangaskhan has so many moves that you're giving up, moves that will help you win the battle for a 1 turn advantage. An advantage that everyone expects and will choose their moves based on.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 8, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

noirstronaut posted:

I dunno, it was like happy hunting where no one dies and you just get more friends throw rocks and poo poo at pokemon and they just run away anyway and then you run out of balls and it's over.

Yeah dude!

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

noirstronaut posted:

Some have. Namely Electabuzz, who is now pink instead of dark yellow.

I don't know where you saw that, but he's pretty clearly still dark yellow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IfMCuA4vXo

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Millions posted:

I don't know where you saw that, but he's pretty clearly still dark yellow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IfMCuA4vXo

This is a pink lemonade color in-game.

https://twitter.com/KlawwTheClown/status/392834408421412864

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

That's dark yellow put through a filter of low image quality.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

noirstronaut posted:

This is a pink lemonade color in-game.

And now I must have an Electivire called Lemonade.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

LAY-ZX posted:

That's dark yellow put through a filter of low image quality.

I'm assuming it's pink lemonade through a filter of low image quality since that guy on twitter actually has one. :x

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Would a Technician Expert Belt Adamant perfect attack IV Mach Punch from Breloom OHKO MKKhan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

noirstronaut posted:

I'm assuming it's pink lemonade through a filter of low image quality since that guy on twitter actually has one. :x

loving look at that second picture, you can see it wrt other colors put through the same filter. Compare him to the yellow of the electric-type symbol on his attacks. He's Dark Yellow!

• Locked thread