Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Desty posted:

Your first mistake was trying to conflate Texans and people.

Yeah, we're better than you sad mortals. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Skyline is a chain restaurant out of Ohio (a state devoid of taste) that puts "chili" over spaghetti and it's the worst thing.

You and me are about to have some Serious Words* because Skyline is like devouring tiny pieces of the Hot Dog, Cheese, and Cinci-Chili planes. If you're expecting Texas chili you need to look elsewhere because this stuff is a hotdog and cheese compliment not some chunks that overpower the dog, ruin the bun, and prevent absurd amounts of shredded cheese insertion.

*1 per day, as though power word: smite

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, we're better than you sad mortals. :clint:

Texans are Elves. :eng101: They're obsessed with weapons (especially ranged ones), stereotypically live in nature despite most of the population living in cities, and they have an over-inflated sense of self-worth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Texans are Elves. :eng101: They're obsessed with weapons (especially ranged ones), stereotypically live in nature despite most of the population living in cities, and they have an over-inflated sense of self-worth.

Both of them also hate the Drow.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I've never understood the bean/no bean argument with chili. They're both valid, tasty options, and I think we'd all be happier if we could get the bean people and Texans together to agree that they have a lot in common and that Cincinnati-style chili is noxious crap shat directly out of the Devil's anus.

Also, does anyone know of any good hard ciders? I'm on a hard cider kick right now.

Since it's starting to get cold, I've been into the Woodchuck Fall seasonal and Ace's pumpkin cider.

Also Texas rules

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I have the recipe with precise measurements on my somewhat-dead computer, but for bachelor's meaty chili:

Chop up like an onion and a half and 2 or 3 stalks of celery and fry it up with some oil and/or margarine, garlic powder and black pepper. Cut up 2 bell peppers (I prefer any colour other than green, and I do put the seeds in) and like a handful of jalapenos and a couple habaneros while that's going on and then add them. Brown like 2 pounds of ground beef separately, then once that's done chuck it into the mix along with 2 cans of beans (dump the water in with it, I usually do a can of black beans and one of either red or white kidney beans, but mix in Romano beans and chick peas at your leisure), a can of crushed tomatoes and a small can of corn kernels. Add a couple teaspoons each of beef bouillon, cumin, cayenne pepper, a packet of chili seasoning (such as Club House), and like a couple tablespoons of chili powder. In also put in like a teaspoon each of mustard and sriracha sauce, when I remember.

Let that stew for however much time you have; some people I know prefer to do it up in a cast iron pot and then thrown it in the oven all day.
I tend to eat mine with rice or in burritos or both.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 8, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think the conclusion to reach here is that the only real chili is a steak. Cook your chili medium-rare.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think the conclusion to reach here is that the only real chili is a steak. Cook your chili medium-rare.

And thus FactsAreUseless was enlightened.

So, how about that D&DNext? Any news about that secondary development team that'll be making the rest (read all) of the game?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I made this and it was really good. It's vegetarian chili but there are enough touches in it that you'll never miss the meat.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7206-best-vegetarian-chili

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Barudak posted:

You and me are about to have some Serious Words* because Skyline is like devouring tiny pieces of the Hot Dog, Cheese, and Cinci-Chili planes. If you're expecting Texas chili you need to look elsewhere because this stuff is a hotdog and cheese compliment not some chunks that overpower the dog, ruin the bun, and prevent absurd amounts of shredded cheese insertion.

*1 per day, as though power word: smite

I will accept the superiority of Skyline style on a coney but nowhere else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't know where else you'd want to put it. Its not as thick and meaty as most chilis and isn't spicy. Skyline sells some sort of chili wrap burrito abomination but thats about as good an idea as the Diablo ruleset for 2e.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

Are you posting from the set of Boardwalk Empire? Who still calls hot dogs "coneys"? Not trying to be mean, but I only ever hear that word as an archaic affectation.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Coney is the proper word! I actually worked a carnival for a summer, and it was policy you called them coneys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Are you posting from the set of Boardwalk Empire? Who still calls hot dogs "coneys"? Not trying to be mean, but I only ever hear that word as an archaic affectation.

A Coney is a specific type of hotdog featuring mustard, chili, and onions. It is not a member of the chili-dog genus but shares convergent evolutionary traits and is within the same family.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Coney is the proper word! I actually worked a carnival for a summer, and it was policy you called them coneys.

If I order a Coney and get some chili-dog or just a regular hot dog I'm gonna be pissed. Words mean things in the land of tubular twice extruded meat products!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oh like I'm gonna take the word of some dirty carney. :v:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A Missouri carney, too. It was the dirtiest carnival.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In Michigan we've got a billion tiny little Coneys that sell Coney dogs: hot dog, onions, mustard, chili. It's a coney dog.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sounds like a poo poo nightmare waiting to happen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

Sounds like a poo poo nightmare waiting to happen.

The chili on a coney isn't usually spicy. The ones on Skyline are thought to have cinnamon and chocolate so there is no burn or colon attack. If you don't live near a skyline you can order a can of the chili yourself and try it at home.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That sounds pretty good for a lazy dinner night. And I can finally claim to have tried a coney.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Skyline is a chain restaurant out of Ohio (a state devoid of taste) that puts "chili" over spaghetti and it's the worst thing.

Chili mac is delicious, you are describing essentially meat sauce over pasta. It is not a problematic combo. Cheese and onions are usually involved. You are silly.

That said, I miss the RUDYS HOT DOGS back in Toledo. They are great chili dogs, wrapped in wax paper that turns orange from the grease when you get it. Mmmmmm

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I can't eat hot dogs. I get sick every time.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Inspired by this thread I made the best chili I've ever made today. It's got beef and pork, three kinds of roasted peppers, chili powder that I toasted and ground myself from three kinds of dried peppers.

And yeah, it's got some beans. My 2-year old LOVES beans. No matter what they've been cooked in, she will always come over to us and demand that we pick the beans out of our food to feed to her. It's utterly adorable.

I made a giant pot of it, so I can freeze a bunch for later. While cooking it, I burned the hell out of my tongue through my over-eagerness to taste it.

Thanks, D&D Next!

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

What kind of pork did you use?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hipster werewolf posted:

I assume the pig kind.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Story-gaming swine?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So how does currywurst fit into all this?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

hipster werewolf posted:

Ground pork. I didn't grind it myself or anything (although that is a thing that I have done before to make sausages).

Bongo Bill posted:

So how does currywurst fit into all this?
Mix cheap curry powder with ketchup and put it on a hot dog and you've got currywurst of the same kind and quality I had in Berlin.

I'm sure somebody does good currywurst, but it sure wasn't the dude I bought one from. I was very disappointed.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I thought it would be time to share an update seeing as this is the last session of this season of Encounters this week at the store I frequented. If you remember, I posted when this season started that it was killing all the fun of the Encounters program and that people were going to stop coming. I was right. Here are the attendance numbers according to my friend who DMs there (I stopped going myself after seeing how terrible it is):

First Session: 42 players (sold out and people were turned away with 7 DMs to DM for 6 players each)
Second-to-last Session: 9 players

That's right. Our store managed to go from 45 people at 7 tables playing every Wednesday night to two 4 or 5 person tables.

Thanks Wizards for the great adventure. You really nailed what the Encounters program needed with these changes.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rosalind posted:

I thought it would be time to share an update seeing as this is the last session of this season of Encounters this week at the store I frequented. If you remember, I posted when this season started that it was killing all the fun of the Encounters program and that people were going to stop coming. I was right. Here are the attendance numbers according to my friend who DMs there (I stopped going myself after seeing how terrible it is):

First Session: 42 players (sold out and people were turned away with 7 DMs to DM for 6 players each)

That's right. Our store managed to go from 45 people at 7 tables playing every Wednesday night to two 4 or 5 person tables.

Thanks Wizards for the great adventure. You really nailed what the Encounters program needed with these changes.

Could you maybe, go into a little more detail as to why? Did people not like the system, the adventure, the format?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Normally I'm not big on the idea of just doing a vegan/vegetarian equivalent of a meat dish, but with chili it's pretty easy. The beans give it body and texture and the rest is in the spices.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

tonight I am going to go to the store and buy one of every pepper for chili

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Jimbozig posted:

Ground pork. I didn't grind it myself or anything (although that is a thing that I have done before to make sausages).

Mix cheap curry powder with ketchup and put it on a hot dog and you've got currywurst of the same kind and quality I had in Berlin.

I'm sure somebody does good currywurst, but it sure wasn't the dude I bought one from. I was very disappointed.

Nope, that's the whole point of currywurst. It was made of what was available to be sold to undiscriminating construction workers. I suppose it could be hipster'd up (like what's happening to poutine now), but cheap curry powder in ketchup on a cheap pork sausage is how it started in like 1950 and that's where it belongs.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rosalind posted:

I'm with kingcom, I told a guy at my store I'd DM a Next session and I'd like to know what I got myself roped into.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Update: i changed my mind, I'm going to stuff the big peppers with meat and also the little peppers chopped up and cook them

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I don't know about Rosalind's groups, but I found Murder in BG to be pretty lacking. We couldn't even get through it here playing with all goons.

It was just boring, a political game where the PCs are bit players, and lacking a lot of fantasy elements that really make a game 'D&D' for me. Things like going into dungeons and fighting dragons. Even contrasting against the last big political setting WOTC did, the 4e Neverwinter campaign setting, Murder in BG is bland in comparison. Neverwinter managed to have a lot of neat fantasy things going on (an aberrant faction, wererat faction, evil cultist faction, etc) while BG is basically lots of fights with 'human thugs' and 'human guards'. And if they played this for weeks on end, yeah that would get pretty boring.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'm assuming that means the human thugs and guards never had any interesting abilities?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ritorix posted:

I don't know about Rosalind's groups, but I found Murder in BG to be pretty lacking. We couldn't even get through it here playing with all goons.

It was just boring, a political game where the PCs are bit players, and lacking a lot of fantasy elements that really make a game 'D&D' for me. Things like going into dungeons and fighting dragons. Even contrasting against the last big political setting WOTC did, the 4e Neverwinter campaign setting, Murder in BG is bland in comparison. Neverwinter managed to have a lot of neat fantasy things going on (an aberrant faction, wererat faction, evil cultist faction, etc) while BG is basically lots of fights with 'human thugs' and 'human guards'. And if they played this for weeks on end, yeah that would get pretty boring.

Our DM is threatening to have MiBG stretch on into next week, but I think most of us are ready to do anything else. We have put down three greasy peasant riots incited by off-screen movers-and-shakers three weeks in a row. There's no way to be Good, it's only "Choose between helping the fascists, the terrorist con-men, the corrupt nobility, or the terrorist cult." Even low-level functionaries are corrupt or operating at the behest of a mysterious master. I didn't find the NPC interactions to be so horrible as say "Well you can't because Elminster," but it's clearly meant to be difficult to unseat a faction leader even when they engage in cartoonish evil right in front of your face.

But yeah the absolute lack of anything resembling D&D in exchange for a lightweight Gangs of New York has been a bit much, especially when the story drags on. And on. And we're doing it in 5E, which everyone at the table generally dislikes or at least sees no advantage to. We're basically held together by the weekly social rather than the game itself.

I've agreed to run the next one in Icewind Dale, on certain special conditions that I'll post later tonight when I get home so people here can comment on what they think. It won't be in Next because enough already.

P.d0t posted:

I'm assuming that means the human thugs and guards never had any interesting abilities?

You could always run it in 4E.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Speaking of, I came up with a tiefling/shadar-kai street gang that I never ended up using in my last campaign. Thugs are cooler when they can teleport around, get ranged off-turn actions, turn invisible or insubstantial, gently caress with line of sight, etc.

In other words, there's no excuse for a fight to include boring combatants in 4e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

P.d0t posted:

The Next versions have basic attacks and sometimes a reaction or one ability.

• Locked thread