Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, their advertising effort has been pretty horrible. But so is complaining about them advertising to kids and not football, when the XBox is the official video game console of the NFL. Also, why would a system that has no sport games advertise on a football game?!?

fivegears4reverse posted:

You can't spin out excuses about the costs of advertising in the same thread where some of the most ardent defenders of the Wii U have been more than happy to trot out Nintendo's Bag Of Infinite Money That Exists Somewhere.

It's not a bag of infinite money. It's their safety net to show people that if the Wii U fails they won't go bankrupt and start peddling smart phone apps, because they still have the cash to keep them afloat.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

It's not a bag of infinite money. It's their safety net to show people that if the Wii U fails they won't go bankrupt and start peddling smart phone apps, because they still have the cash to keep them afloat.

At this point, it's a holding to keep their stock price up.

Spending that money, decreasing their equity and shareholder value, at a time when the shareholders are already not too happy would be asinine.

They're in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. They need to spend the money to be able to do better, but spending it will cause an immediate decrease in stock price.

Really Nintendo's best bet right now is probably to finish what they are developing for Wii U, then focus on the 3DS and come at their next console with a different approach.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You can't honestly be claiming that TV advertising is too expensive for a multinational corporation like Nintendo? They're not a startup, they're a multi-billion dollar company.

There is a happy medium between advertising in the middle of a football game and solely advertising on kids shows.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

What's the American TV channel for people trapped in the early '90s?

CNN?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 9, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

You can't honestly be claiming that TV advertising is too expensive for a multinational corporation like Nintendo? They're not a startup, they're a multi-billion dollar company.

What? No.

If you were talking to me I have no idea where the hell you got that from. The point of my post was to say that they aren't going to go on a spending spree with their retained earnings and why they aren't. I think they should do more advertising but they shouldn't, and won't, dump a sizable portion of their cash on hand on it. EDIT: While investor confidence is already low and their earnings are in the gutter.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think the reason that Wii U worked so poorly while Super Nintendo worked so well is that Nintendo put out a bunch of stuff like Wii Motion Plus, and the Wii Balance Board, not to mention naming a whole lot of games Wii ___ that it was assumed that putting a word after Wii just meant an add-on or game. Thats what I would guess for the confusion over Wii U but not previous consoles with meaningless names.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fulchrum posted:

A better question is why they could get the Wii on Ellen and Oprah but so far only have got the Wii U on Jimmy Fallon. There are a thousand talk shows and so far they are non existant.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cliff Racer posted:

I think the reason that Wii U worked so poorly while Super Nintendo worked so well is that Nintendo put out a bunch of stuff like Wii Motion Plus, and the Wii Balance Board, not to mention naming a whole lot of games Wii ___ that it was assumed that putting a word after Wii just meant an add-on or game. Thats what I would guess for the confusion over Wii U but not previous consoles with meaningless names.

"Super" also indicates this is in the very least a much better Nintendo, and came with an advertising campaign. U indicates... stuff?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

"Super" also indicates this is in the very least a much better Nintendo, and came with an advertising campaign. U indicates... stuff?

It's the college that the normal Wiis graduated from.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Not to mention the fact that a super nintendo looked different from the console that came before it. There was no mistaking the VCR looking NES with the more traditional looking super nes. With the wii and wiiu, since they look similar, it's pretty easy to get them mixed up.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Especially with the trend of rereleasing consoles that's cropped up more since the days of the sixth generation, and particularly within the seventh generation. Xbox 360 had, what, 3 or 4 models over its lifespan? The PS3 had the now obligatory slim variant, and then another after that. Add in the confusion that some had over the gamepad itself being the Wii U, and some people just didn't have reason to realise that the console was actually meant to be a new one.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Wasper posted:

Not to mention the fact that a super nintendo looked different from the console that came before it. There was no mistaking the VCR looking NES with the more traditional looking super nes. With the wii and wiiu, since they look similar, it's pretty easy to get them mixed up.

It wasn't until this thread where I thought Wii U was a console attachment. Like Sega 32X. It should have been called Wii 2. I don't know if it's funny or sad Nintendo thinks the release of PS4 and XBone is good for them.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

CaptainHollywood posted:

It wasn't until this thread where I thought Wii U was a console attachment. Like Sega 32X. It should have been called Wii 2. I don't know if it's funny or sad Nintendo thinks the release of PS4 and XBone is good for them.

He was talking to investors, of course that's what he's going to say. Do you think he was going to get up there and say "Yeah, new consoles are going to kill us"?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Mattavist posted:

He was talking to investors, of course that's what he's going to say. Do you think he was going to get up there and say "Yeah, new consoles are going to kill us"?

In that case I feel bad for the investors.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

That's how every company ever talks to their investors though.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Some good news for once. Wii U sales had a surge this past week in Japan.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-sales-in-japan-surpass-ps3-vita-and-xbox-360-this-week/1100-6416036/

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Did they announce a new Dragon Quest game? What happened.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No I think it was mostly because of the mario party game. Watch it be something like 10k this week and back to psp levels the week after that.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Ka0 posted:

Did they announce a new Dragon Quest game? What happened.

A comment under a article posted:

It sold better because of new bundles. The cheaper of the two bundles (priced 32,800 yen) includes New Super Mario Bros. U and Wii Party U.

The more expensive (34,800 yen) includes New Super Mario Bros. U and Wii Party U, Wii Fit U and a Wii Fit Meter (but not a Balance Board).

This sounds most plausible to me.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I'm pretty sure it was discussed in this thread back when the numbers came out on Wednesday. There was a new bundle released this week that included NSMBU + Luigi DLC + Wii Party U for like $10 extra.

Wii Party U on its own didn't do great.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The 3DS dropped a lot though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Probably still coming down off the Pokemon high. There isn't that much time until the Christmas bump peaks, it will be interesting to watch the NA/EU numbers over the next two months.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Wii U might not really be the chosen platform for Call of Duty: Ghosts, but still:

Eurogamer posted:

UK chart: COD Ghosts top, more copies sold on PS4 than Wii U
Annual Activision bullet-fest Call of Duty: Ghosts has zipped straight to the top of the UK all-formats chart.

62 per cent of sales were recorded on Xbox 360, 34 per cent on PlayStation 3 and 3 per cent on PS4, even though the copies won't be playable for another three weeks.

Wii U and physical PC sales counted for less than a single per cent of the game's total.

Sales-wise, the PlayStation 4 version of Ghosts was this week's seventh best-selling game, if all SKUs were counted separately - more than the PS3 versions of Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed 4.

Battlefield 4 was second this week, while Assassin's Creed 4 fell to third.

FIFA 14 was fourth, GTA5 was fifth and Batman: Arkham Origins was sixth, ahead of WWE 2K14, Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, Football Manager 2014 and Skylanders Swap Force.

Outside of the top 10, Nintendo's latest Professor Layton title, the excellent Azaran Legacy for 3DS, turned up in 13th.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-11-uk-chart-cod-ghosts-top-more-copies-sold-on-ps4-than-wii-u

Being outsold on a console which hasn't even been released is pretty bad.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Iacen posted:

Wii U might not really be the chosen platform for Call of Duty: Ghosts, but still:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-11-uk-chart-cod-ghosts-top-more-copies-sold-on-ps4-than-wii-u

Being outsold on a console which hasn't even been released is pretty bad.

Oof. It's a real rough week for the Wii U in the UK. On top of that CoD stuff the NSMBU + Luigi U bundle barely sold at all and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics ultra bombed (debuted as the 10th best selling Wii U game of the week :psyduck: )

I don't see a turnaround happening there.

e: That 1% of Call of Duty sales was mostly physical PC sales. The Wii U version sold so few copies it didn't even get a mention in the weekly splits:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/top-20-video-games

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 11, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crowbear posted:

e: That 1% of Call of Duty sales was mostly physical PC sales. The Wii U version sold so few copies it didn't even get a mention in the weekly splits:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/top-20-video-games

To further put that in perspective, CoD Ghosts for PC has Steamworks, which means that buying it in a store means you still have to activate it on Steam and usually have a pretty substantial download, so there's no reason to buy it in a retail store.

The Wii U version was outsold by something that has no purpose for existing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wait, this this actually surprising to people? Considering the Wii U only makes up about 2% of all the consoles sold between the PS3 and 360, and this is in the UK which is not exactly Nintendo's top market (US and Japan make up 75% of those systems sold).

Just to put it into perspective...

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

Wait, this this actually surprising to people? Considering the Wii U only makes up about 2% of all the consoles sold between the PS3 and 360, and this is in the UK which is not exactly Nintendo's top market (US and Japan make up 75% of those systems sold).

Just to put it into perspective...

The PS4 currently makes up 0% of all consoles sold and its version of CoD outsold the Wii U version by at least a factor of 6.

But yes, the UK is not big on Nintendo in general. Should be fun to see the splits in the November NPD.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crowbear posted:

But yes, the UK is not big on Nintendo in general.

I think the 2/3DS sells pretty well here, although the official sales tracking doesn't release actual numbers.

Welp:

edit: that offer expires in 4 hours

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 11, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edmund Honda posted:

I think the 2/3DS sells pretty well here, although the official sales tracking doesn't release actual numbers.

Welp:

If I still had time and money to frivolously buy gaming consoles that would've gotten me on board.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nintendo actually has TV ads for Wii Party U in Japan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just saw a commercial on TV for Super Mario 3D World in which it showed a family of 4 playing the game together, and at least a couple of them had GamePads.

Aren't the GamePads not even sold separately?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just saw a commercial on TV for Super Mario 3D World in which it showed a family of 4 playing the game together, and at least a couple of them had GamePads.

Are you sure? This is the US commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBbcUQyvXQw

They are using a Game Pad, the red Mario themed Wiimote, the green Luigi themed remote, and a black Wii Motion Plus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Astro7x posted:

Are you sure? This is the US commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBbcUQyvXQw

They are using a Game Pad, the red Mario themed Wiimote, the green Luigi themed remote, and a black Wii Motion Plus.
Oh, guess you're right. At one point it looked like they were all using GamePads.

It still looks goofy as gently caress for all of them to be holding Wii controllers and then that one kid is holding this big bulky son of a bitch.

The version of the commercial I saw also had "Wii U system now only $299" at the end of it, which is probably one of the big reasons these things aren't selling.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

So is this game for the Wii addon? I'm still confused.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

No, the gamepad is still only available as a bundle with the WiiU compatible Wii.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
WiiU doing this bad in the UK is just long overdue comeuppance.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This isn't Wii U related, but Nintendo released a Zelda: Link Between Two Worlds commercial and it is old school as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVoq1H9yLMI

LInk to the Past commercial from 1992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgrgPnbbZY

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Astro7x posted:

This isn't Wii U related, but Nintendo released a Zelda: Link Between Two Worlds commercial and it is old school as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVoq1H9yLMI

LInk to the Past commercial from 1992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgrgPnbbZY

I like the original better :shobon:

This is still one of my favourite pieces of Nintendo marketing ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JtKyAJrf4

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Clay Davis's Punch Out

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Its actually getting sad at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9QoCB3Rx8&t=151s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

CaptainHollywood posted:

This is still one of my favourite pieces of Nintendo marketing ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JtKyAJrf4

This is really funny... I think I want to buy this game.

• Locked thread