Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

So, is that a server problem, connection problem or something else?

Happens randomly. It is only on my screen, my friend can't see it. And it is really annoying. Only seen it today, but I would love for it to stop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012
Azureon died on the way back to his home planet

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

quote:

The Old Republic ‏@SWTOR 1h
#SWTOR Cartel Coins can now be purchased in-game! Subs get 50% off 1st in-game purchase thru 11/30! http://bit.ly/1904kQL

My waiting paid off :toot:

Vith
Mar 21, 2008

Smile
I just saw the warzone limits are going to be removed in a future update (or maybe it's already in, I don't know), so I just reinstalled the game. The extra xp needed as a f2p player used to turn me off, because my goal has always been going through the stories of several classes, and having to repeat the same grinding with all the characters didn't sound appealing at all. My current plan is using pvp to avoid the pve grind, because pvp is something I enjoy. I also read somewhere that unlockables can be bought with credits in the GTN, so I want to get more character slots that way while I do everything else.

I thought you couldn't use any companion skins at all as a f2p player, but I can't see any reference to this anywhere, does anyone know?

I totally expect to hate myself for having this idea.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
F2P/Preferreds need to get a Crew Member Appearance authorization, check the GTN. Look for the account-wide ones, since you're planning on doing multiple characters, although those ones will be more expensive.

Vith
Mar 21, 2008

Smile

Crindee posted:

F2P/Preferreds need to get a Crew Member Appearance authorization, check the GTN. Look for the account-wide ones, since you're planning on doing multiple characters, although those ones will be more expensive.

It seems I can still use the customization kit for Vette I was given as a quest reward. I suppose I won't be able to equip any others I buy, or maybe it only affects other characters or companions, not sure how it works. Unfortunately the GTN in my server seems to be pretty empty, for example there are no unlockables for any race other than cathar.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
It's possible your server is just dead, but someone had that problem just a page or two back - make sure that when you search you aren't searching for Artifact-level stuff. For some reason Cathar is the only species unlock that's purple, the rest are all blues, so if you're set to search for Artifact quality items then Cathar is all you'll see.

Vith
Mar 21, 2008

Smile
I found the problem. I was looking at "unlockables" instead of "legacy items". All clear now, they are there. I have no idea how my GTN is compared to other servers, because there is no GTN until you leave the starting planet. Probably bad, my server is Tomb of Freedon Nadd, and according to torstatus is total crap.

My character is only level 24, so I was considering switching servers, but the fact that I made all the characters (16 in 2 servers) when I bought the game, means I already have all the species I could ever use. I would lose that and it's probably not worth it.

Something I hadn't noticed is there is a credit cap, so I won't be able to buy server slots/cathar. I suppose I could save a ton of money, subscribe 1 month, buy everything, unsubscribe. Sounds intense, probably too intense.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Vith posted:

It seems I can still use the customization kit for Vette I was given as a quest reward. I suppose I won't be able to equip any others I buy, or maybe it only affects other characters or companions, not sure how it works. Unfortunately the GTN in my server seems to be pretty empty, for example there are no unlockables for any race other than cathar.
Customization kits are just an equippable item for companions. You can equip/unequip them whenever you want and they're tied to specific companions. The vendors are spread throughout the galaxy so just google search a bit to find one you want, if you want any at all since they can be pretty drat ugly.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Rascyc posted:

Customization kits are just an equippable item for companions. You can equip/unequip them whenever you want and they're tied to specific companions. The vendors are spread throughout the galaxy so just google search a bit to find one you want, if you want any at all since they can be pretty drat ugly.

But as a f2p or preferred, you need a unlock for it. Either character or account, don't know.

If it is the same as with purple things, you get to keep what you have equipped, but can't re-equip if you take it off.

Vith
Mar 21, 2008

Smile
I don't know about purples, but I confirm I can re-equip the customization kit for my companion after taking it off. I don't have any other kits, so I don't know if this particular character has them unlocked or if it's only the kits you already had equipped before it was f2p.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah, all restricted items you have equipped prior to losing a sub remain unrestricted. It even explains why when you mouse over in a tooltip.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So is there ever a reason to replace your 'orange' weapons and gear? Are there items that have higher base values to stick mods in than the first orange light saber you get at level 10 from your advanced trainer, or is it just all about mods and such?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Locator posted:

So is there ever a reason to replace your 'orange' weapons and gear? Are there items that have higher base values to stick mods in than the first orange light saber you get at level 10 from your advanced trainer, or is it just all about mods and such?

9 times out of 10 it's all about mods. You can keep any piece of orange gear you want and just mod it up with better and better stuff--especially useful when high-level purple gear looks like crap. You can strip the mods out of it and apply them to your orange gear, and get the best of both worlds.

There's only a few occasions where you'd HAVE to replace your gear, and I think it's for some of the Elite/Ultimate stuff. The mods for them only fit them (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

No, there's no restrictions on the highest endgame gear. Those mods can go in anything.

The only thing to watch out for is heavy/medium/light armor or shield vs generator/focus. Those all have different multipliers, but it's easy enough to just wear the heaviest armor you can (based on class) and the appropriate offhand for your role.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Enhancements and mods can go in anything. Anything you buy off the vendors in the supplier area will have their armoring/barrel/hilt tied to that specific slot, but not the item. So if you buy a Verbine Offhand Blaster with elite comms, you can take the enhancement/mod and put it into any other orange piece. The barrel however will only be accepted by other orange off-hand blasters, which is not to be confused with main hand blasters which will not accept the barrel.

Yes this means that sometimes you will want to buy pieces just for the mods, while ditching the enhancement/barrel, or sometimes you'll buy a piece just for the armoring and ditch the mod/enhancement due to poor itemization choices at the vendors. lovely, yes.

As far as replacing orange gear, it's basically whenever you want to change your appearance. Keep in mind if you do end up doing raiding though, you will end up using augment kits to add a slot for augments and the kits are one-time use (you can remove the augment though like any other mod). So pick an orange set that you like until you get more money.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 8, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Once you've got the basic look you want, then you can start browsing dyes to complete the pretty princess.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 8, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Captain Backslap posted:

Once you've got the basic look you want, then you can start browsing dyes to completely the pretty princess.

Though, be aware that some of the orange shells you get at lower levels don't have slots for dyes. Which is sad, because my favorite orange shells for 3/4 of the empire classes are the Black Talon ones. :(

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Orange belts/wrists are best-in-slot (with augment), right? The lack of enhancement threw me off, but the stats are just lower for those slots.

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
That's right. It's also worth noting that now all the endgame raid gear is fully moddable, might as well be orange but it's purple because WoW. It used to be that the operations loot belt/bracers as well as certain offhands were not moddable, and were strictly worse than oranges with good armorings/mods in them, but this is no longer the case.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Medullah posted:

Though, be aware that some of the orange shells you get at lower levels don't have slots for dyes. Which is sad, because my favorite orange shells for 3/4 of the empire classes are the Black Talon ones. :(
They fixed this. Go nuts.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way to 'de-mod' an item and not have said item or its mods bound to you? I've got a pair of boots with some pretty sweet Aim mods I want to put on T3, but an earlier experiment witha purple item left said item mods (Cunning/Endurance- any Knight companion use these?) bound to me.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Is there any way to 'de-mod' an item and not have said item or its mods bound to you? I've got a pair of boots with some pretty sweet Aim mods I want to put on T3, but an earlier experiment witha purple item left said item mods (Cunning/Endurance- any Knight companion use these?) bound to me.

Items that are bound to you can also be used on your companions. They are bound in the sense that you can't sell them or trade them with other characters (even within your own legacy).

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Hulk Smash! posted:

Items that are bound to you can also be used on your companions. They are bound in the sense that you can't sell them or trade them with other characters (even within your own legacy).

This part isn't true. Mods, armouring and enhancements that are bound can be traded within your legacy provided you pop them into some Legacy gear first.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

One of the weirder orange-gear snags I'm aware of has to do with shields.

This might have changed at some point so you don't have to take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure that moddable shields still come in two distinct varieties: their scaling base stats include either tech power or force power, and that's a fixed attribute. You get a significant power boost from your shield, so it's important to use the right kind. Last I checked, simply putting +strength or +willpower mods in a shield that came equipped with +aim mods does not switch its base stat from tech to force, or vice-versa. If you're playing a tank or using a tank companion, watch out. Read that fine print.

DPS characters don't need to worry because they are required to use either a "focus" (force) or "generator" (tech) and you can't equip the wrong one if you try. Ditto with vibroblades/staves (force) vs. techblades/staves (tech). If you ever wondered why these different items exist... that's why.

P.S. If you're on Republic side, moddable offhands seem to be a guaranteed drop from the bonus boss in Esseles. The droid that pops out if you hit those two switches at the same time. That's where I always get mine.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Huh, I hadn't thought of that but yeah, Tech shields (for Vanguards) would be very different from Force shields (for Shadows and Guardians).

Note also that the power multiplier on a shield is rather lower than the power multiplier on a generator/focus. Of course in exchange for this you get a little bit of base shielding and absorb, as well as the ability to shield at all. (Back when I was a super n00b I would run around with some +shield while not having a shield equipped. It did literally nothing for me. Defense can theoretically be useful though, even for a DPS or healer, though I can't imagine the stat tradeoff would be worth it.)

ETA: One last little thing. Barrels and armorings are all slot and even type locked nowadays, so for example you can't take a Reflex 31 barrel from a Blaster Rifle and put it into a Sniper Rifle or put a Wrist armoring into a Belt, but armorings don't discriminate between generators and shields. Found this out when a Vanguard shield dropped and I was able to use the mod and enhancement for my tanking offspec set and the armoring for my DPS generator.

kmzh fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 9, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks for all the mod/orange item info!

I'm pretty happy with my character's looks right now, so I was curious if I was going to end up ruining it all later when I needed to replace pieces to upgrade, or if I could just continue my current terribly OCD pattern of researching to purple mod/armor/enhancements, and terribly overpowering myself every 4 levels or so.

E: On the 'looks' department. Is there a decent way to screenshot your character like someone else did earlier in the thread? Doesn't seem to be a way to get a good view (and the lighting in the game is normally horrible to boot). Maybe I just need to hunt for the hotkey to disable the UI (assuming there is one), and zoom in and screenshot that way.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

The Locator posted:

E: On the 'looks' department. Is there a decent way to screenshot your character like someone else did earlier in the thread? Doesn't seem to be a way to get a good view (and the lighting in the game is normally horrible to boot). Maybe I just need to hunt for the hotkey to disable the UI (assuming there is one), and zoom in and screenshot that way.

If you use one of the Appearance Designers (there's one in the Cartel Bazaar section of the fleet), you can get a high quality, well lit, and freely zoomed and rotated view. The downside is that you can't draw a weapon or pose with it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Locator posted:

That's what I've been doing for all my pictures. Lighting on Fleet is pretty bad, but :effort: so I just find the best-lit corner I can, snap a shot, then crop it to a decent size. Ctrl+U is the key to toggle the UI. Most of my pics have been kind of spur of the moment when I come across something I want to show off, so I don't put a lot of time into them.

They come out well enough for me...

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 9, 2013

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

This part isn't true. Mods, armouring and enhancements that are bound can be traded within your legacy provided you pop them into some Legacy gear first.

Is there orange non-class based legacy gear?

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
There's a fair bit of it, with the notable exception of offhand items. Most of it comes from reputation vendors.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

VonLudwig posted:

There's a fair bit of it, with the notable exception of offhand items.

That is to say, the exception of offhand generators, foci, and shield generators. Legacy Blaster Pistols and Lightsabers can also hold offhand hilts and barrels.

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
Don't forget vibroknives and shotguns.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Nipponophile posted:

Ctrl+U is the key to toggle the UI.

There's actually two ways of doing it, Alt-Z will toggle the UI on and off, Ctrl-U is actually for reloading the UI entirely, which is why it's pretty slow to pop back up when you press it the second time, so if you're doing it a bunch of times Alt-Z will be much quicker.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there orange non-class based legacy gear?

The easiest stuff to get is probably from one of the newer daily areas. I think Oricon has Legacy gear. The Gree event definitely does but that's not on at the moment.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

That's what I've been doing for all my pictures. Lighting on Fleet is pretty bad, but :effort: so I just find the best-lit corner I can, snap a shot, then crop it to a decent size. Ctrl+U is the key to toggle the UI. Most of my pics have been kind of spur of the moment when I come across something I want to show off, so I don't put a lot of time into them.

They come out well enough for me...

Thanks. Ctrl-U wouldn't bring the UI back for me (maybe I am just too impatient). Found Alt-Z after searching though.

Tatooine has decent lighting, and since that's where I'm currently questing, I used it instead of fleet.

Need to be stylish when you are evil, and I hate the hooded look mostly.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Thanks. Ctrl-U wouldn't bring the UI back for me (maybe I am just too impatient). Found Alt-Z after searching though.

Tatooine has decent lighting, and since that's where I'm currently questing, I used it instead of fleet.

Need to be stylish when you are evil, and I hate the hooded look mostly.

Tatooine DOES have great lighting for vanity shots..

As for hating the hooded look, you weren't playing when hoods were absolutely broken, were you? Did they ever implement the toggle hood option like people wanted?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Skoll posted:

Tatooine DOES have great lighting for vanity shots..

As for hating the hooded look, you weren't playing when hoods were absolutely broken, were you? Did they ever implement the toggle hood option like people wanted?

I played for about 2 weeks at release, then got sidetracked by something and never came back until about 3 weeks ago.

There is no toggle hood option that I'm aware of.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If there's a toggle hood option, I can't find it. Sentinel outfits all seem to have hoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

You can hide your head slot guys.

• Locked thread