Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Thinking of bringing this to FNM the day after tomorrow. Thoughts? I feel like Banisher Priest should be in here somehow. Instead of Reconker?

Deck: Orzhov Aggro

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
9 Plains
3 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
4 Brave the Elements
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
4 Blood Scrivener
4 Boros Elite
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Daring Skyjek
3 Imposing Sovereign
4 Judge's Familiar
4 Precinct Captain
3 Soldier of the Pantheon

//Sideboard
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Sin Collector
4 Pacifism
2 Ultimate Price
3 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Display deck statistics

I personally would replace Daring Skyjek with Tithe Drinker. I would also add in some Doom Blades. Maybe take out the Judge's Familiars for those. You definitely need more removal. Maybe toss in a singleton Obzedat as a mid-to-late game bomb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I personally would replace Daring Skyjek with Tithe Drinker. I would also add in some Doom Blades. Maybe take out the Judge's Familiars for those. You definitely need more removal. Maybe toss in a singleton Obzedat as a mid-to-late game bomb?

Don't you think Tithe Drinker is too slow for this deck? Skyjek is much better for an aggro strategy.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Skyjek is a great chunk of power. I'd probably leave scrivener in the sideboard. Swapping some number of Familiars for ultimate prices or doom blades might be nice, also popping soldier of the pantheon to 4 of. I don't feel like Sovereign is a 3-of, and depending on the matchup you might even want to swap it for Arrester. Depends on whether you want to gear for the black or red matchup.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

TheLawinator posted:

Skyjek is a great chunk of power. I'd probably leave scrivener in the sideboard. Swapping some number of Familiars for ultimate prices or doom blades might be nice, also popping soldier of the pantheon to 4 of. I don't feel like Sovereign is a 3-of, and depending on the matchup you might even want to swap it for Arrester. Depends on whether you want to gear for the black or red matchup.

Actually I think Blood Scrivener makes perfect sense in a deck like this since your hand is going to be empty after a few turns.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
In a fit of sleeplessness I decided to dig into my big box o' cards and make a standard something out of what was on hand. The result is a schizophrenic black/white deck of undetermined effectiveness. Any advice on fixing the deck up would be most appreciated as I have next to no experience with building decks.

Deck: Black and White

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
4 Orzhov Guildgate
9 Plains
7 Swamp

//Spells
1 Assassin's Strike
2 Chosen by Heliod
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Gideon, Champion of Justice
3 Gift of Orzhova
1 Hero's Downfall
1 March of the Returned
1 Merciless Eviction
1 Obzedat's Aid
3 One Thousand Lashes
2 Orzhov Charm
1 Ray of Dissolution
1 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
2 Ashen Rider
2 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
1 Blood Scrivener
2 Crypt Ghast
1 Heliod's Emissary
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
2 Phalanx Leader
1 Pontiff of Blight
1 Scholar of Athreos
1 Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
2 Wight of Precinct Six

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boxn posted:

I need some advice on this EDH deck I'm working on, with my new favorite commander, Nekusar. It's just a traditional bear hug deck, along with some discard outlets so my opponents will be damaged even more. I don't know if it's too gimicky though, and I'll be playing it against 4 other EDH decks I'm building from the pre-cons (Oloro, Rhoon, Prossh, and Marath), which I'll include later on for reception of how they are. Would this do well even without the whole draw-discard pain plan? Or does it need something else?

Deck: Nekusar the Papist

This is a pretty sweet deck but if I were you I'd look into some way of protecting or easily recurring Nekusar, since the whole deck revolves around getting your opponents to draw too many cards and he makes all of those effects that much better. In fact it almost seems like you have too many effects for making your opponents pitch and draw cards, but maybe these decks want to win as quickly as possible?

The on-color Lhurgoyfs, or any card that counts the number of cards in graveyards (like the more recent Nighthowler) seem like good ideas to include. I run a Crosis stealing/discard deck that has them and considering how many extra cards your opponents will be drawing (and thus forced to discard) they seem like they could get huge.

E: I may steal this decklist and build it if I ever get bored of Crosis, it seems like a lot of fun.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 7, 2013

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

C-Euro posted:

This is a pretty sweet deck but if I were you I'd look into some way of protecting or easily recurring Nekusar, since the whole deck revolves around getting your opponents to draw too many cards and he makes all of those effects that much better. In fact it almost seems like you have too many effects for making your opponents pitch and draw cards, but maybe these decks want to win as quickly as possible?

The on-color Lhurgoyfs, or any card that counts the number of cards in graveyards (like the more recent Nighthowler) seem like good ideas to include. I run a Crosis stealing/discard deck that has them and considering how many extra cards your opponents will be drawing (and thus forced to discard) they seem like they could get huge.

E: I may steal this decklist and build it if I ever get bored of Crosis, it seems like a lot of fun.

You're probably right, I have too many Wheel effects (around 12) and I might have to cut them down. I may also put in Possibility Storm just to cause chaos for fun. Also, there are some effects that can still deal damage even if Nekusar isn't there. But yes, in general this deck just wants to win quickly, and doesn't care for anything else since there will be a lot of Windfall effects, the enemy might not recover. That's mostly a rough sketch, I might leave in a few cards from my personal collection if I need to. Evacuation + Warped Devotion + any discard damage spell is fantastic! I'll post the other decklists as soon as I sleeve them up, just for more evaluation.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
http://mtgo-stats.com/decks/82441

Extremely unusual burn deck that 4-0'd. I've seen three different burn lists in the past few days, including watching Ryan Hipp's boros burn deck that seems to work surprisingly well. I don't see how it beats UW/Esper unless they completely brick counter spells for 2 games. Turn 4 demon seems really bad too if you don't hold on to a chained to the rocks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That's not a burn deck.

It looks really fun to play though.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So after a straight night of getting my rear end kicked I decided to put my Izzet deck on the shelve. I did talk to someone who said her friend runs a similar deck. He doesn't use the Spellheart and he also splashes white so he can use the Boros Charm, U/W Control cards and Heloid's spear. So I'm going to start looking into doing that.

In the mean time I decided to build a Red Deck Wins. (I know, it's simple but I feel it's something that is fun to play and I can do reliably)

Deck: Red Deck Wins

//Lands
19 Mountain
1 Mutavault

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock

//Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

//Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
4 Mindsparker
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Display deck statistics

1: Right now i'm split between the Firefist Striker and the Firedrink Satyr. I could use another powerful one drop but his drawback kind of scares me. The Firefist Striker might not be THAT reliable.
2: I do want to add more mutavaults but it's not a high priority for me right now.
3: My sideboard is in flux right now. I do have ideas based on netdecking (A few like Act of Treason and Barrage of Expendables.) I can use any advice for the sideboard right now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

1: Right now i'm split between the Firefist Striker and the Firedrink Satyr. I could use another powerful one drop but his drawback kind of scares me. The Firefist Striker might not be THAT reliable.
2: I do want to add more mutavaults but it's not a high priority for me right now.
3: My sideboard is in flux right now. I do have ideas based on netdecking (A few like Act of Treason and Barrage of Expendables.) I can use any advice for the sideboard right now.
1) Both of those cards are amazing and you should run both. Seriously, if you think "R: deal 4 damage to your opponent before he can even get a 3rd land down" is bed, you're dumb and I'm sorry. That he also gets through Omenspeaker and (importantly) Sylvan Caryatid is amazing. Remember, if you're at 1 and your opponent is at 0, you win the game just as much as if you were at 17.

2) Mutavault is amazing and you should run 3+ (I'm not 100% on 4 because it doesn't play nice with BTE, but then, neither does Ash Zealot). Mutavault also makes Firefist Striker EXPONENTIALLY better.

3) Your sideboard should be based on your local shop, not a netdeck. Every other player in my area is on UW or Esper, so I've got to run extra skullcracks for Sphinx's Revelation. Your meta may be different.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

So after a straight night of getting my rear end kicked I decided to put my Izzet deck on the shelve. I did talk to someone who said her friend runs a similar deck. He doesn't use the Spellheart and he also splashes white so he can use the Boros Charm, U/W Control cards and Heloid's spear. So I'm going to start looking into doing that.

In the mean time I decided to build a Red Deck Wins. (I know, it's simple but I feel it's something that is fun to play and I can do reliably)

//Lands
19 Mountain
1 Mutavault

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock

//Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

//Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
4 Mindsparker
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Display deck statistics

I've said this before but I think you'll find that Burning-Tree Emissary and Ash Zealot don't like each other. They used to be friends but then they both fell in love with the same man. He fell for Burning-Tree Emissary and then Ash Zealot killed him in a fit of jealous rage. They don't speak anymore.

If you must force them to live together, I'd suggest replacing the Magma Jets with Gore-House Chainwalker. Him and Firefist Striker are BFFs with Burning-Tree. They get together once a month and have a LAN party and troll noobs in DotA together. You don't need that much removal and you'll find that Magma Jet sits in your hand more often than not.

Don't be scared of Firedrinker Satyr. Yeah he's angry all the time and he hates you but he just has low self-esteem and you should be more understanding. You'll get along fine if you just let him do his thing and don't get in his way. His drawback doesn't mean much when you're doing way more damage to your opponent than you will be to yourself. If you're still scared of him, go with Foundry Street Denizen instead. He's friends with BTE as well but not part of the main clique. If he comes down on turn 1, you can either do another pair of 1-drops on turn 2 before you swing, making him 3/1, or you can BTE into Gore-House or Firefist for the same effect.

I also agree with the poster above that you should have at least 3 Skullcracks in your sideboard. It's the most insulting card in Standard right now. It screws over Sphinx's Revelation, Gray Merchant, and Master of Waves, all of which are rampant and dominant right now.

Good luck!

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 8, 2013

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tharizdun posted:

1) Both of those cards are amazing and you should run both. Seriously, if you think "R: deal 4 damage to your opponent before he can even get a 3rd land down" is bed, you're dumb and I'm sorry. That he also gets through Omenspeaker and (importantly) Sylvan Caryatid is amazing. Remember, if you're at 1 and your opponent is at 0, you win the game just as much as if you were at 17.

2) Mutavault is amazing and you should run 3+ (I'm not 100% on 4 because it doesn't play nice with BTE, but then, neither does Ash Zealot). Mutavault also makes Firefist Striker EXPONENTIALLY better.

3) Your sideboard should be based on your local shop, not a netdeck. Every other player in my area is on UW or Esper, so I've got to run extra skullcracks for Sphinx's Revelation. Your meta may be different.

1) Firedrinker also goes through night veil spectre, which is huge. Firefist is incredible, Firedrinker is very good. Remember to side out fire drinker in the mono-R mirror match. Because nothing is worse than you pumping your satyr and the opponent going "okay, you pump, before combat damage I lightning strike your satyr."

2) I run 2 mutavaults and 19 mountains, because nothing feels worse than a hand of Mountain, Mutavault x 2, Cackler, BTE x3, and then never seeing that second mountain.

So I just put together and have played a few games with the Rakdos aggro list that won a tournament recently. http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5948&d=234498 is the deck list. The deck is incredibly fun to play. swinging in for 5 damage on turn 2 is so much fun. And after side boarding you can occasionally just get to do hilarious things, like:

T1: Tormented hero
T2: Spike Jester, Swing 5
T3: Mogis's Maurader, swing 7
T4: Thoughtseize, Seeing a jace and a supreme verdict, Have opponent discard jace, cast Xathrid Necromancer, swing 7, don't care about verdict.

tl;dr Aggro decks should run thoughtseize.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Firefist Striker is the card that makes RDW work. Like, forget BTE, Phoenix and Cackler, Firefist Striker is what takes it from "solid choice" into "top tier".

Firedrinker Satyr is the best one drop you can run in most matchups. Better than Cackler. Two power by default, and it trades up with most blockers really easily (even takes out Caryatid, which is huge). Side it out against red decks that are going to try and race you.

You want four BTE and four Ash Zealot. Yes, I know they don't play nice, but they're both insanely good. If you have both in hand on turn two (and nothing else to chain off BTE), just play the Zealot and hold the BTE to keep up the pressure after Verdict or Anger. Don't run too many Chainwalkers, they're underwhelming and you don't want to crowd the 2-drop slot at the expense of burn spells.

Speaking of burn spells, run all the shocks and lightning strikes, but magma jet is a little underwhelming. You're not the sort of deck that wants or needs to spend mana on smoothing its draws.

You want at least 19 mountains and 2 mutavault, any more 'vaults should take the place of spells. Consider three, but four is pushing things a little.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Wow that Rakdos aggro deck looks super fun! I'm probably going to steal it for an FNM later this year. Thanks for posting it!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Do we have a Commander thread or is it just discussed in here?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Do we have a Commander thread or is it just discussed in here?

Here and the general thread for the most part. For actual deck questions it's almost all here from what I can tell. However since I play EDH and limited only this thread has far too many posts about this "standard" business anyway, bring on the EDH chat (remember to link the decklist only).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got bored at work today and started brewing up a GW EDH deck revolving around tutoring tons of legendary cards with Captain Sisay as a commander. After getting home and looking at the legendary cards that identify as green and/or white, I have a very rough draft of what I want to run-

Deck: Captain Sisay
Display deck statistics

The idea is to have a toolbox of legendary stuff on one hand, and to call up the big guns when I don't have threats that require a response. I left off some of the pricier cards that seem like auto-includes (Karakas, Iona, Linvala) so that I don't psych myself out, but how is this as an idea? I went kind of creature and equipment-heavy, is there an obvious one I missed? I'm sure I'll end up cutting a few of them to make room for more traditional green and white EDH staples, so let me know what you think. The sheer volume of basic lands is also just a filler until I remember what other useful lands/duals there are.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 8, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Lands
19 Mountain
3 Mutavault

Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock

Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
2 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mindsparker
2 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Burning Earth

Yeah, I'm trying to do this too, but mine's for a modern night. Any other suggestions as to what I should add in? I have a poo poo ton of burn spells.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I got bored at work today and started brewing up a GW EDH deck revolving around tutoring tons of legendary cards with Captain Sisay as a commander. After getting home and looking at the legendary cards that identify as green and/or white, I have a very rough draft of what I want to run-

Display deck statistics

The idea is to have a toolbox of legendary stuff on one hand, and to call up the big guns when I don't have threats that require a response. I left off some of the pricier cards that seem like auto-includes (Karakas, Iona, Linvala) so that I don't psych myself out, but how is this as an idea? I went kind of creature and equipment-heavy, is there an obvious one I missed? I'm sure I'll end up cutting a few of them to make room for more traditional green and white EDH staples, so let me know what you think. The sheer volume of basic lands is also just a filler until I remember what other useful lands/duals there are.

A friend of mine has an extremely nice Sisay deck (complete with Gaea's Cradle, among other awesome legendary things, being able to tap your general to tutor up land is amazing) and it's pretty much unstoppable if you don't kill Sisay early and often.

Thousand-Year Elixer is your best friend.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kizudarake posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to do this too, but mine's for a modern night. Any other suggestions as to what I should add in? I have a poo poo ton of burn spells.

4 Goblin Guides. Some people might also recommend 4 Keldon Marauders too. I've had mixed luck with the Marauders but the Guides are a no-brainer. They're ridiculous. Obviously replace the Lightning Strikes with Lightning Bolts and replace the Shocks with Chain Lightnings too.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Elephant Ambush posted:

4 Goblin Guides. Some people might also recommend 4 Keldon Marauders too. I've had mixed luck with the Marauders but the Guides are a no-brainer. They're ridiculous. Obviously replace the Lightning Strikes with Lightning Bolts and replace the Shocks with Chain Lightnings too.

Replace the Shocks and Jets, but if it's for Modern night it'll have to be something other than Chain Lightning
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Printings.aspx?multiverseid=1563

Rift Bolt is the next go-to spell, followed by Lava spike in burn builds and some number of Searing Blaze.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I posted a really bad RW deck list a while back but I think I may have found something based on it that's workable. Here's the preliminary list of the deck I plan on running at tonight's FNM.

quote:

//Lands
10 Mountain
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
3 Boros Charm
3 Chained to the Rocks
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Legion's Initiative

//Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Fanatic of Mogis
2 Frostburn Weird
2 Legion Loyalist
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Rakdos Cackler

//Sideboard
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Gods Willing
4 Wear // Tear
4 Skullcrack
4 Mizzium Mortars

The base of my creature list comes from a typical RDW list and then modified to be more midrange. The Cackler's, Legion Loyalists, and Ash Zealots lets me get some early damage in. The BTE's don't have any friends that can chain off them, but they're great for Nykthos shenanigans or a turn 4 Fanatic of Mogis. Purphoros is a beast and ends up contributing a lot of damage if you have to rebuild after a board wipe.

This deck started off as a reaction to all the control I was seeing in my meta, so my spell list partly reflects that, but it ends up being great for beat down as well. Legion's Initiative is great for the small buffs it provides. Ash Zealot is much more dangerous as a 3/2 first striker and Boros Reckoner is even more intimidating as a 4/4. Initiative's secondary ability also provides a form of protection against any kind of removal, and in a pinch allows you untap everyone if you need to block after an all out attack. The exile ability gets obscene if you have already have Purphoros and/or Fanatic of Mogis out with a modest board. Boros charm is wonderfully versatile, serving as a combat trick, anti-board sweeper, or that last bit of burn you need to finish your opponent. Lastly, Chained to the Rocks is a great removal spell, and anyone who's played Chandra knows how great she can be.

I'm still unsure of my creature selection. I've been thinking about replacing Rakdos Cackler with Foundry Street Denizen. He synergizes well with Legion Loyalist and the trigger ability on Legion's Initiative. Frostburn Weird is another one I might replace. He's a great wall, but I've been thinking Firefist Striker might work better in his slot. Firefist's battalion trigger is great and he'd give BTE another buddy. However, the difference between 1 and 2 devotion on a creature can be huge. I'd also like to find a slot for Chandra's Phoenix, since having a flier would be great, but I don't know if I can cut anything else.

I was able to test this deck last night against my buddy's Orzhov Midrange deck (very similar to Paul Rietzl's PT list) and I ended up winning the majority of games. My buddy is no where near the player that Paul Rietzl is, but I was still happy with my performance, considering a good chunk of his deck straight up counteracts the advantages of mine. Rakdos Cackler loses to Soldier of the Pantheon, Precinct Captain is a wash with Ash Zealot, Obzedat and Blood Baron can't be Chained, and Desecration Demon whittles my devotion down. A lot of times Purphoros(w/ devotion) ended up being the only thing keeping him in check, which allowed me to set up a big Fanatic of Mogis drop. My losses usually came when he'd draw the nuts and drop Desecration Demon and Blood Baron on subsequent turns, while using removal to prevent my board from getting out of control.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 8, 2013

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I've been working on putting together a Wishboard for my Trostani EDH deck using Golden Wish and acquiring a lot of good equipments in the process, so I thought I would make half a deck I could just pull out half and plug in a new half to have a different deck so I could smash face instead of durdling around with tokens every once in awhile. I haven't updated my Trostani list in awhile, but it's about 50 cards different from this (Mostly the lands and staples carry over):

Deck: Sigarda Voltron

Display deck statistics

I've never run a Voltron list, I'm worried I'm going overboard with the euquipments a little bit. I might also throw in a City of Solitude to stop combo decks from loving around at other people's EoT

e:

C-Euro posted:

Display deck statistics

That looks fun as hell, although you're running two Bow of Nylea

BXCX fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 8, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kizudarake posted:

Here's what i ended up with after playing around:

Lands
19 Mountain
3 Mutavault

Spells
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Strike
4 Incinerate
4 Shock
1 Lava Spike

Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
2 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mindsparker
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Burning Earth
3 Fireball
2 Molten Rain

I've goldfished with it, and, as long as I get 2 or more land in my opening hand, I'm hardly running into trouble, even with 22 land and 39 spells. I'm going to look at the local store tonight for Rift Bolts, Lightning Bolts, Lava Spikes and searing spears, even though I have some, since I don't want to dig anymore into my collection today. I have too many boxes, not enough labels.

I'm taking my Maze's End Fog deck, too, depending on who's there. If the dude that ragequit against me and told me that he wished I'd die at game day doesn't apologize, then I'm running it with Slaughter Games maindeck. He only runs monocolor, and always red or black, and I know what his win conditions are.

Game 1: T4 - Slaughter Games Gary the Merchant or Stormbreath Dragon.
Awww, yeah...:hellyeah:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Display deck statistics

First thing, don't worry about Karakas because it's banned in EDH (infinite commander bounce is pretty unfair). Savannah is the original dual for this color combo and isn't stupid expensive (on the original duals spectrum) because it doesn't tap for blue mana. Mageta the Lion gives you a tutorable wrath effect. Jareth is a huge fatty you can drop in front of people. The hondens look really bad, but technically are legendary enchantments. Avacyn gives your whole team indestructible. The various planeswalkers in their different incarnations are also a thing, Elspeth, Garruk, Ajani, Gideon, comedy option Nissa.

Nylea and Heliod are also things you can run.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Glad to see people reacting positively to the Sisay deck even if it's just a concept, I might axe my Modern/Legacy building plans and work on that instead. Also I just traded away my Jareth right before thinking of this idea :negative:

BXCX posted:

I've been working on putting together a Wishboard for my Trostani EDH deck using Golden Wish and acquiring a lot of good equipments in the process, so I thought I would make half a deck I could just pull out half and plug in a new half to have a different deck so I could smash face instead of durdling around with tokens every once in awhile. I haven't updated my Trostani list in awhile, but it's about 50 cards different from this (Mostly the lands and staples carry over):

Deck: Sigarda Voltron

Display deck statistics

I've never run a Voltron list, I'm worried I'm going overboard with the euquipments a little bit. I might also throw in a City of Solitude to stop combo decks from loving around at other people's EoT

You went so overboard with equipment that you forgot to include your general :v: Unless this was meant to just be a list of stuff going into an eventual Sigarda deck.

E: Is Elbrus, the Binding Blade legal in a GW EDH deck? When it transforms it's a black creature, but it has no black mana symbols which I thought was the line in the sand for determining legality for EDH. Honestly it might not be good enough to play in the final 100 but it's hilarious to think about, especially in a multiplayer format.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 9, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kizudarake posted:

Here's what i ended up with after playing around:

Lands
19 Mountain
3 Mutavault

Spells
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Strike
4 Incinerate
4 Shock
1 Lava Spike

Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
2 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mindsparker
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Burning Earth
3 Fireball
2 Molten Rain

Well, I went -2 Lightning Strike, -4 Shock, +1 lightning bolt, +1 Searing Spear, +3 Lava Spike, +1 rift bolt.

When it went off, it went off loving awesome. I won games in every round, but lost matches generally to manascrew. I think if I run this again, I'm dropping the mutavaults for mountains. I really regret not sideboarding in some burning earths and molten rains during game 2s, though.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Went 3-2 with MURDERGOATS! at FNM for 5th (hooray best tiebreakers!). Maybe could have been 4-1, but I misplayed pretty badly r4 by playing pithing needle on mutavault when I knew I needed to crack Ratchet Bomb for 1 to 3-for-1 my opp's dudes. He proceeded to drop cavalry pegasus and get me for about 12 damage off of 3 mutavaults and I barely missed stabilization. Dropped r5 to the only person who went undefeated, playing a Bant homebrew with Fleecemanes, verdict, revelation, elspeth, one Aetherling, horizon chimeras, prophet of kruphix. Game 1 was a grind where I took his whole hand with Rakdos's Return twice, but two monstrous lions plus supreme verdicts eventaully did it. G2 he never drew a third land and I crushed. G3 I kept a reasonable hand, ended up playing all 3 Molten Births and missing all my flips, got supreme verdicted without sufficient gas and couldn't recover when I drew into a land pocket. The deck is still super fun to play though, so I'll stick with it.

Running Ultimate Price over Doom Blade was good, but that might be a local meta thing since we see a lot of desecration demons and no one has mono-U. Two maindeck Ratchet Bombs were absolute all-stars, almost always netting a 2-for-1 or better, recurring with trading post for value, or just cycling for 3 with a post in play.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
Played in a draft at FNM last night (I went 1-3 due to there being a bye and lost all bar one game). While waiting for the last of the games to wrap up, I sat down with a couple of the others waiting and played a couple of constructed games.

Played one with MURDERGOATS against some izzet control build. Tyramet ended up throwing a goat across the table for the win.

The other game I played with my White Weenie build against some sort of GW build and completely smashed face with it.

I'd be really interested in taking WW to a constructed FNM and seeing how far I can take it.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Went 4-1 at FNM with MURDERGOATS! tonight. I'd never won packs in constructed before. Thank you so much, goons, for championing such a fun deck.

Highlights include:
Casting Slaughter Games 4 times, naming detention sphere each time to keep my Purphuros in play.
Molten Birth with Purphuros and Young Pyromancer in play.
Sacking 4 dudes and swinging in with Tymaret for the win.
Winning 70% of my coin flips with Molten Birth .
Drawing nothing of help but swinging with a Rakdos Keyrune and a Mutavault for 3 consecutive turns.

I beat 2 esper control decks!

I'm thinking of getting rid of Ultimate Price in my sideboard and putting in Dark Betrayal just because the local meta is soooo esper control heavy, and I don't have any other answers for Obzedat . Other than that, no complaints.
A+++++, would play again.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
After complaining bitterly of my time playing Commander tonight in the main thread, reading about people winning FNMs with MURDERGOATS is the best thing. :3:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

C-Euro posted:

Glad to see people reacting positively to the Sisay deck even if it's just a concept, I might axe my Modern/Legacy building plans and work on that instead. Also I just traded away my Jareth right before thinking of this idea :negative:

You went so overboard with equipment that you forgot to include your general :v: Unless this was meant to just be a list of stuff going into an eventual Sigarda deck.

E: Is Elbrus, the Binding Blade legal in a GW EDH deck? When it transforms it's a black creature, but it has no black mana symbols which I thought was the line in the sand for determining legality for EDH. Honestly it might not be good enough to play in the final 100 but it's hilarious to think about, especially in a multiplayer format.

Oops, I copied it off of tappedout.net, which puts the commander in a different panel.

Elbrus is not legal in GW thanks to the magic of color identity, which counts both sides of the card. It's the same reason you can't play ISD Garruk in a deck without black. You could certainly house rule it in, but I wouldn't whip it out to play with a group of strangers.

I'm two Swords and a Batterskull away from finishing my Golden Wishboard, I'm interested to see what happens when I run in to somebody who has strong feelings about sideboards in EDH.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BXCX posted:

Elbrus is not legal in GW thanks to the magic of color identity, which counts both sides of the card. It's the same reason you can't play ISD Garruk in a deck without black. You could certainly house rule it in, but I wouldn't whip it out to play with a group of strangers.

My understanding is only mana symbols count, so Elbrus is legal in anything and Garruk Relentless is legal in anything with green.

Edit: But apparently I was told lies. You are correct.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 9, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

suicidesteve posted:

My understanding is only mana symbols count, so Elbrus is legal in anything and Garruk Relentless is legal in anything with green.

Edit: But apparently I was told lies. You are correct.

Colour indicators and DFCs are both new developments and corner cases, in fact I dont think there are many other cards where it's relevant. Theres the white human who turns into a black horror which I doubt anyone plays, besides those and all the DFCs that don't change colour, indicators are only on some MMA cards which previously declared colour identity in the text. Probably just outdated info.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BizarroAzrael posted:

Colour indicators and DFCs are both new developments and corner cases, in fact I dont think there are many other cards where it's relevant. Theres the white human who turns into a black horror which I doubt anyone plays, besides those and all the DFCs that don't change colour, indicators are only on some MMA cards which previously declared colour identity in the text. Probably just outdated info.

Colour identity (for Commander purposes) is different from the colour of the card (which is what the indicators show).

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I built Sisay a while back, and the information I found then indicated that because Elbrus has black color identity when flipped to Withengar, he is considered black for the purposes of EDH. Sort of like how Garruk is apparently considered Green/Black and not straight Green.

I enjoyed running Sisay for a bit, but I ultimately didn't really like how it played out. It felt like I was just tutoring for the same few answers every time I ran her out, and that she made me way more of a target than I actually was (because she can do stupid things if you actually put money into her). That said, tutoring up, say, Trostani, or Dosan, or Arashi, or Predator is really fun, at times, so I'd definitely recommend giving it a whirl if you think you might have fun. Just spend some time thinking ahead so you don't take long fetching at the actual table.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Sisay suffers from the same problems as Momir in that they look sweet on paper but you will just end up tutoring for the same stuff to win the game each time.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

netcat posted:

Sisay suffers from the same problems as Momir in that they look sweet on paper but you will just end up tutoring for the same stuff to win the game each time.

That's not really a problem if you're trying to make something that wins. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mcmagic posted:

Thinking of bringing this to FNM the day after tomorrow. Thoughts? I feel like Banisher Priest should be in here somehow. Instead of Reconker?

Deck: Orzhov Aggro

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
9 Plains
3 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
4 Brave the Elements
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
4 Blood Scrivener
4 Boros Elite
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Daring Skyjek
3 Imposing Sovereign
4 Judge's Familiar
4 Precinct Captain
3 Soldier of the Pantheon

//Sideboard
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Sin Collector
4 Pacifism
2 Ultimate Price
3 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Display deck statistics

Took this deck to FNM last night and went 4-1 splitting top 4 out of 24 or so people. I took out the 4 reckoners and replaced them with 4 banisher priests. It absolutely destroys control decks especially post-board and has a great chance against most other aggressive strategies. The only deck I had a problem with was GR Devotion where I didn't draw enough removal and he stood me up with 2 sylvan Catadid's by turn 3 which didn't let me clear the way for Precinct Captian to start making dudes. Anything more I should be boarding against those decks?

• Locked thread