Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I'd start a new club, but Jim is about to graduate, and I'm a grad student. I shouldn't even be devoting this much time to elfgames in the first place, let alone running the club. I'd like to, and would if this was undergrad, but c'est la vie.

The big problem is that when people left, they were generally all pretty new to the hobby, so when they left I don't think they formed new groups, they just stopped playing RPGs altogether :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Doomsayer posted:

I was willing to fight more about it but then I realized that A) I was a school employee and B) I was gettin' made 'bout elfgames and gently caress that.

One thing I have learned in recent days, is that you can win almost any argument ever with one simple trick...

Pull out your phone, turn on the voice recorder, and say "Ok, I'm now recording this conversation. Would you please say that again?"

Fucksticks like that guy have to be in the right, which means that they have to religiously follow the stupid loving rules they set for themselves, and they will wilt like a loving dead lily when you put them on tape. All of a sudden, you're not just Random Guy they can gently caress With, you're Random Guy who can prove that they're lying with their own words and make them look like a stupid useless sack of poo poo. I guarantee you, the type of stupid coward you're dealing with, he'll know real fast to clam up, and generally will back down rather than risk being proven an idiot.

For my "That Guy" story, I was pleasantly surprised when I moved into lovely Tiny loving Town that there actually was a rather well-heeled game store here. They're mostly into card games, and Warhammer, but a few of them were starting up a 2E game I jumped into. Not usually my cup of tea, but I've wanted to try out a Dart Fighter build, so I went for it.

Our first session, I'm greeted with a motly assortment of dorks, dweebs, and geeks. First off, the guy who got way too into things. The dude who chose to play a Good character despite the entire rest of the party being Evil. The guy who makes the DM play out his horse so he can have a conversation with him using Animal Talk. The Elf. (Enough said) Next, there was the guy who was completely new to everything. Didn't understand a single thing, everything had to be shown to him painstakingly. Not really a bad thing, but it dragged the game down, and of course he started to take after the bad players a few games in. There was one dude who was cool, and not too terrible nerdy, but also played four games at the same time, so he was constantly moving around reshuffling miniatures and flipping cards at other tables, and was basically a non-player in the game. The second-to-last dude was actually a really cool player, and if I ever start up a 4E or 13th Age game here, I'll be giving him a call.

And then... there was That Guy. That Guy came with his character name already picked out, because he always plays the same character. That Guy is always a dark, dashing rogue. That Guy constantly, constantly murders loving everyone. Random NPCs, anyone we stumble across on the road. My Schtick was that I was evil, but lawful evil, and wanted the entire world to work for me. He, of course, assumed this meant "Slavery", because he was apparantly really into that. Up and to the point where the one game I didn't play, he managed to find a mentally handicapped orc and enslaved him. This is despite the fact that every time I would disable someone non-lethally, and then try to sway them to my cause with words and coin, he would declare "I slit its throat."

That Guy.

The thing that finally made me stop coming to the group was after the GM awarded us some coins from an evil king, that were good for one free lay at the local bordello. (!) Ok, that was weird, but the only people who got the coins were myself and the other good player, so we just stuffed them in our packs and forgot about them. But That Guy did not stand for that. He kept bringing them up, constantly. He kept asking our characters to give him one of the coins. We ignored him, and after a combat sequence managed to capture one of the big bad guys. I had plans for this dude, I spoke a language he did that the rest of the party didn't, and I had plenty of goodies to use that could sway him into being a secret ally. Well, the GM decided to make things go to a weird place, and a key negotiation piece ended up being one of the Sex Coins. Whatever, I don't give a gently caress, saves me having to deal with the stupid things anyway. So I strike an agreement with the dude, stride out of the room to inform the rest of the party, and That Guy declares "I sneak in the room and slit his throat."

"And then steal the special coins."

I left before he could force the (stupid) DM to roleplay out a sex scene with his weird loving character, and haven't looked back.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Doomsayer posted:

Why did I try so hard to integrate 4e into the club? I dunno. I just want people to have fun, and if people are fleeing the club in droves (and really, I've had single groups that were bigger than the crowd I saw tonight, let alone a whole club), why wouldn't you try something new? Give the people what they want man, c'mon :(

Because Friday is only for 3.5!

Seriously though, just run 4e on the sidewalk in front of them, have a blast. Best way to rub it into their faces ever.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Keiya posted:

Because Friday is only for 3.5!

Seriously though, just run 4e on the sidewalk in front of them, have a blast. Best way to rub it into their faces ever.

College gaming clubs are such a pain in the rear end to put together already. I don't understand why it is so difficult, because you have a huge userbase who don't yet have friends and who need games and have no way of finding people but for some reason refuse to participate.

When I was just starting out college I learned that our school had no gaming club whatsoever. There was some kind of Magic:the Gathering thing going on but those guys all scoffed at roleplaying and there were only about six of them besides, so whatever. My wife and I, who were both undergrads at the time, started up a club, got about seven members right away, and made some of the best friends of my life. So cool poo poo right?

One night we hosted a Smash Bros tournament and like fifty people showed up. All of them claimed to be members of our organization (apparently they could apply through the school somehow even though my wife and I were president and vice president respectively)and all of them were avid RPGers from the conversations we were having. Most of them claimed they didn't like the games they saw us playing (Exalted, Word of Darkness) and I explained that I was only one man and would be happy to find space and time for them to run other games if they were so inclined.

The 'nardiest of them told me that he couldn't see himself ever running a game for us because he didn't want to associate his name with a bunch of 'White-Wolfers' and that he would take his 'business' elsewhere. I tried to tell him we had like a $500 budget we needed to spend and if he bothered to run a game I could probably get him some books or minis or something for club use, but he scoffed and said he would run some kind of parallel enterprise. I seriously have no idea how I offended this guy so much but he tried to get as many of our members as he could to play in his games and shun our poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nerds are awful, news at 11.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

I have a story somewhat related to this.

I was playing Dark Heresy for the first time with a group of people a friend of mine introduced me to. We're all adults, and in every other respect it was a wonderful and mature group. The game sessions were fun, and people were patient with me as I learned the mechanics and made a character to join an existing campaign. We had a couple of sessions that advanced the story in some published adventure path, in which my Metallican Gunslinger joined up with the other dudes when we all woke up stripped of our gear and had to fight our way out of some kind of arena and sneak into a warehouse. Really great fun.

After a couple of sessions, scheduling conflicts for the DM and some of the other players meant that we kept putting off the next session until some indefinite time in the future. They end up having a session without me when it's convenient for them a month or so later, and when my friend tells me about it I'm like, oh that's cool when are we going to have the next session? He tells me that I'll need to make a new character, because my character was controlled by someone else while I wasn't there and got killed by an errant gunshot. It wasn't a huge deal, so I started working on another. They wanted me to make a higher-level character for my new one, and I was curious why. Apparently the DM had me start my first character several levels below the rest of the team, in a system where there's only like 7 or 10 levels total, with far less funds and points for gear and abilities. Some armor that I remember wanting to get but couldn't afford, not to mention the additional chances to buy more health through the level-up perks, would probably have saved my character from having died to an errant gunshot.

I was a bit disgusted by it, and when I brought it up to the DM his response was: "Did your character's level bother you before you knew it was lower than everyone else's level?"

That sort of attitude, coupled with the inability to get a steady schedule, led me to just never going back.
Your character shouldn't even be dead unless you somehow ended up with 0 fate points or the guy controlling your character was a dick and opted to not use one.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The Good
The BattleTech group I play with are all total bros. Before I found them, I really didn't have anywhere to play BattleTech, and every game I've played with them as been amazing. Nothing really amazing sticks out beyond "they are great"

The Bad
Showed up for an Apocalypse game at a GW Store many years back. Was told I couldn't use my Forge World tanks because they weren't GW 'official' (even though I had brought a Valdor Tank Hunter, although I was allowed to use the Leman Russ Vanquisher) and it left a sour taste in my mouth. Bringing a Baneblade to the same store saw a kid who was being obnoxious break the aerials off the tank, and it's pretty much every GW stereotype you can think of. It's barely running I believe these days, all the practices GW implemented really drove away their fan base, I hardly see anyone in the shop anymore. Which serves it right, the manager is/was a dick, and there are better LGS' around.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, "I wouldn't run a game for you..." Run it for yourself you insufferable penis. People have some really loving weird ideas about what a university society is.

I don't know how it works in the US, but UK universities normally have some student union oversight in place to tell societies to get their poo poo together or lose their support. The funding it might lose them probably wouldn't upset them, but taking away their ability to book rooms might.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doomsayer posted:

Jim and I are still going to try and put together a group (and, if we get drunk and stupid enough, maybe start a new club)

Do it! Start a new club, and take their exact time slot too. I'm betting you can reserve rooms way ahead of time so you can beat them out to at least one good RP room if you need to. In a couple of weeks you'll have all of those people that quit because of the "president" and his grognard patrol.

Shockingly enough, this exact thing happened at my school. President said "no, we're only playing 3.5 and only Forgotten Realms. If you want anything else, start your own club." And so we did, and we got twice as many people in the first week. They were down to a whopping 4 people at the end of the semester and it died out over winter break.

New page edit: Running a club is a cake walk, at least in my experience. You fill out a few request forms, ask for enough booking sheets to last a semester and fill them all out ahead of time. At my school you could fill out one, photocopy it 20 times, and then just write in dates. The only "hard" parts are dealing with people, which isn't hard at all as long as you stay away from nerd social fallacies.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 9, 2013

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
It's amazing how much damage one lousy player and a spineless DM can cause.

We were a party of six. One of our players, Eric, could only play sporadically, like one out of every three times we got together. I can understand wanting to make the most of playing in that situation, but he constantly devolved into making the entire session about himself and his awesome paladin. His awesome paladin who never once healed any of us, never loving acted like a paladin should, and constantly tried to browbeat people into doing what he wanted. It was like he wanted to lead the party, but none of us respected him enough to listen. He would start arguments and the DM would never step in and put a stop to it, even if it was nothing but the players pointlessly bitching for an hour at a time.

In one instance, to keep the group together, the DM had Eric and another PC's character being mind controlled. This was his way of keeping the group together. So the other PCs and I break free and the mind controlled guys start attacking us. So my fighter goes "Huh, I need something with stopping power, but I also don't want to kill him. Call shot to kick him in the groin."

He wasn't wearing armor.

I double critted.

In essence, I kicked him so hard the other mind controlled guy stopped fighting. We all have a good laugh about it, razz him a little. The following week he comes to game, looks at me and - in character - says "Not to worry, I'll have my revenge."

The last time we played, he decided to jump into a secret passage that none of us knew about, by himself. After a few minutes with the rest of the party, the DM proceeds to spend the next forty five minutes roleplaying with the Paladin. Because, of course, you have to get all your flavor text in there, when five other people are twiddling their thumbs. So I went and took a nap.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
In a game I'm running (loosely based on Avatar: The Last Airbender, if it was set in a towering fantasy metropolis), my players ended up going on quite a sideroute.
They decided they needed to find a specific plant, a drug used for mind control that was supposedly eradicated centuries ago. A difficult task, especially since I was entirely unprepared for this possibility! Here's what they ended up doing.

1. Consult with a zookeeper about animals that might be able to find the plant.
2. Consult with the zookeeper about animals that might be able to hunt the giant moths that might find the plant.
3. Bandage the zookeeper's bleeding stump of an arm, choose not to use a Roc for the hunt.
4. Consult their underworld sources, finding out about a bounty hunter that uses a couatl to hunt down his prey.
5. Meet with the bounty hunter's employer, an arena master. Agree to find a competitor for him in exchange for the bounty hunter's services.
6. Steal moth poop from the zoo so the couatl can find the moth's scent.
7. Track down the moth in their airship, ending up in the abandoned and monster-infested Ghost Tower.
8. Avoiding the earth-weaving Stone Spider, find the moth's lair and nab it.
9. Find out their ship was weaved into the Spider's web while they were gone.
10. While struggling to contain the moth, use a combination of fire, acrobatics and airship maneuvering to break the web, dislodge the spider to its doom and drag a large piece of the tower behind them.
11. Cut one of the characters out of his clothes that were hopelessly stuck to the spider's web.
11. Give the moth an antidote to the couatl neurotoxin.
12. Find out the antidote is poisonous to the moth, give it an antidote for that.
13. Get their faces slapped by the zookeeper's daughter for nearly killing a priceless specimen.

And maybe, just maybe, they will be able to use the moth to find that plant they were looking for. Oh, yeah, and the arena master? He's working for their arch-nemesis, so I managed to fit this escapade into the overall plot. Woohoo!

Suleman fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 9, 2013

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

This particular experience was a few years ago so the details will be a bit hazy, but I'm mostly relating it because of the weird characters.

The setting was the Illuminati University for GURPS, but adapted to PDQ using the Truth and Justice rules. I was playing with a bunch of first-time gamers and GURPS was not at all the sort of system they would be into. Given complete freedom and an extremely flexible system like PDQ I've found people tend to come up with some very...unique characters. Some examples I've had are a telepathic/kinetic alien which resembled nothing so much as a floating, sentient chandelier of naturally grown, hovering crystals and "Ham Sandwich Man", a super-hero with the ability to generate ham sandwiches in just about limitless quantity or size.

For this game the students were as follows:

*Maul: a very nice young man who happened to be some sort of bizarre hunger-demon. Basically a gigantic, obese guy with a huge fanged mouth and a second one in the back of his head that constantly fed itself snacks from his backpack using prehensile hair. Basically super-humanly tough and strong, and even mightier after consuming large quantities of food. He was a metaphysics major.

*Vort: A martian whose physical appearance is ripped directly from commander Keen's Yorps. Vort was sent to learn about planet earth in preparation for an invasion, so naturally he is undercover as a college student. He had a long, prehensile tongue and a stomach that doubled as a bag of holding.

*Rock: a wizard, specifically a Nekomancer. So he can cast any sort of spell, so long as it relates to cats: growing claws, night vision, summoning lions and tigers, talking to felines, etc.

*Jake a mad scientist with a lab-coat full of any type of explosive you could want. Majored in applied boomology.

Like I said, the specific adventures are fairly hazy at this point. There was a fight with some cardboard and paper golems in a recycling center, an accidental detour to a medieval fantasy world while trying to avoid being late for class, and a moopsball game that ended when cthulhu was summoned.

One of the more memorable ones involved the university acquiring a meteorite with unique properties that was being experimented on in one of the high-energy physics buildings. Unfortunately one of their experiments ended up emitting zombifying radiation leading to a school-wide zombie apocolypse. The PCs had to make their way across campus, and unfortunately since Maul was so big he kept attracting swarms of zombies who'd dog pile the group, forcing them to retreat. Their solution was to tear open a soda machine and squeeze Maul inside the casing. He wandered around slowing moaning "chaaaaange..chaaaaange..." And of course what sort of DM would I be if I didn't make sure that a zombie vending machine disguise worked. They managed to cut the power to the high energy building so they could get in without becoming irradiated. Unfortunately the z-plague had already reached the biology department and several zombified dinosaurs were now wandering around, which they had to subdue while Jake worked on a way to reverse the polarity of the radiation to cure the virus (fortunately most of the zombie students they fought were not pounded into paste, but safely stored inside Vort's stomach).

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
That's awesome! Zombie vending machine is :3: as hell.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Nekomancer is a pretty amazing pun and concept. There's a guy in my group who's playing a trickster coyote type, but drat is nekomancer isn't funny as hell. I'm putting that in my back pocket for a oneshot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I rather liked my character concept for the recent unsuccessful 3.5 one-shot. It was Velvetpaws, the group sorcerer's cat familiar. To anyone but the sorcerer, he was very clearly a scruffy guy wearing cheap felt cat ears; the sorcerer would insist her beloved familiar was turned into a human by a rival but Velvetpaws ("Just call me Val. Please.") was pretty certain he was just lying low from the local thieves' guild after a botched job and had luckily found the one person in the world who was worse at recognizing a disguise than he was at disguising. But then again, dude could climb and jump like nobody else and had a tendency towards acting disaffected and going after small enemies so who knows, really.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I just spent two hours writing a fairly comprehensive peace treaty/mutual defense pact/alliance treaty/economic treaty for five gangs so we can crush our enemies and not needlessly waste resources against each other. This was for a street level Shadowrun game I play on IRC every week, and somehow, is a loving awesome experience because my GM is so good that me manages to make what would normally be super-dull political stuff and planning fun as hell.

Edit: Actually, everything so far with this particular GM counts as a Best Experience. Every last one. Don't get along with another player and our characters don't get along either for in-game reasons? GM works with that, gives our characters chances to hurt each other's rep or abandon each other to die(and we work with his houserule where we can't straight up shoot each other). Conspiring with other players to accomplish goals that would get us killed if anyone else knew? Hell yeah, get that traitorous poo poo on. All actions have consequences, all the freedom of choice in the world, and some seriously loving solid all around GMing.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 11, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MohawkSatan posted:

I just spent two hours writing a fairly comprehensive peace treaty/mutual defense pact/alliance treaty/economic treaty for five gangs so we can crush our enemies and not needlessly waste resources against each other. This was for a street level Shadowrun game I play in, and somehow, is a loving awesome experience because my GM is so good that me manages to make what would normally be super-dull political stuff and planning fun as hell.

If you're not getting down to the minute details you're not doing Shadowrun right.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If you're not getting down to the minute details you're not doing Shadowrun right.

Minute details for planning yeah, but normally politicking in games isn't all that great. With our GM, it's pretty much the Best Thing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

oriongates posted:

Their solution was to tear open a soda machine and squeeze Maul inside the casing. He wandered around slowing moaning "chaaaaange..chaaaaange..."

I mentioned this to my wife last night as we were about to watch The Walking Dead. She was amused.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

We had a few good silly games of Shadowrun back in the mid-90s, when all those additional sourcebooks had just come out. I played a street sam with a customized cybertorso, which is hilariously expensive, both in Newyen and essence, and is generally an utterly pointless thing to get. Not in my case though, since I made up that character concept together with a friend.

He played a hacker. To be precise, a hacker being a severed head in a jar. Whose life support system was based in my character's chest. The head was fixed to a gyroscopic arm, and could be extended through hatches in the front and back of the torso. The nice thing was that having 'quadraplegic' as a flaw gave you a ton of build points, so he could really invest in his character, two high-powered eye lasers being the most notable. Not that weapons are usually necessary, we tended to cause quite a lot of running and fainting just from our appearance.

Needless to say, that was in the Aeon of Pink Mohawks, well before the Dawn of the Age of Mirrored Sunglasses.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I played in two alternating very, very long-running GURPs campaigns and joined them very late in their lifetime. The players celebrated its 20th anniversary last year by giving the GM a plaque they all signed. Those who had moved on sent the guy getting it together scanned signatures if they were too far away to drive to. Very cool people altogether, the GM especially.

But, even in the game that was a (somehow) functional combination of almost every sci-fi property known to man, I had to roll my eyes at the top secret supersoldier femme fatale who went into some kind of post-murder heat when coming down from her winged 'battle form' and was on a first-name basis with Boba Fett and the Lord of the Sith.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
After 20 years, why wouldn't you be? I mean, look at Heroes after two seasons.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Golden Bee posted:

After 20 years, why wouldn't you be? I mean, look at Heroes after two seasons.

That's the thing, everyone else had played several characters over that time period. Four, five, six maybe. They come, they go. Mercenaries either die, quit, or retire eventually, or the player just wants a change of pace. As I understand, she was playing the same person the entire time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I've had characters like that in extremely long-running games. One of my characters in the extremely houseruled MSHRPG game I have posted about several times was a cyborg half-copper dragon with proportional butterfly wings (that were functional because magic), hypnotic voice, minor time control, and was friends with pretty much all of the Marvel A-list and Gabriel from the Prophecy movies.

It's just sort of a thing that happens in games that progress long enough. v:shobon:v

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
My group, on the other hand, has never made a campaign last more than two years...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My longest single continuous campaigns were probably college semesters where we went about ten levels, starting at 5, 10, or 20 respectively. These days I have a hard time getting group members that show up week to week and I'm not sure I want the ones that will come rain, sleet, or shine.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I ran my second paranoia game today and it went great again. I need to be less forgiving in combat but my players betrayed each other so much that thy ran out of clones anyways. Today's highlight had to be when a pack of mooks shot at a player and barely hit, but the player rolled a one to dodge. I decided that he didn't actually bother to dodge, he just struck a heroic pose while all the laser hit his brand new sunglasses and got deflected. It scared the bad guys so much they surrendered. I also got to use the phrase "a tidal wave of self replicating banana peels rolls down the corridor after you" thanks to a horribly failed attempt to use an experimental pursuit prevention device.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Just had to quit the L5R game I was in, under the "bad gaming is worse than no gaming" doctrine. The game did have its moments of fun (or else I wouldn't have stayed), but the glacial pace of events combined with NPCs doing all of the heavy lifting w/r/t the plot combined with being poo poo on any time I tried to cast a spell to any effect (and being a shugenja, that's kind of the only thing I can do) just wore on me too much. I thought about just going apeshit in character, but I decided ultimately that I don't even care that much; I hadn't really done anything that invested me in the game except show up.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Not my story but I remember reading about a shadow run group that was infiltrating a building. They had a complex multistage plan that involved a ton of prep and equipment. A few players were supposed to sneak in through the sewers once the other players were in position. Everything is underway and going great till the DM tells them the sewers are very dark and asks what they have for a light source. Turns out no one in the sewer team remembered to bring a flashlight or any reliable way of seeing in the dark.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's pretty weird considering that four out of five races have some natural way of seeing in the dark (either low-light or thermographic vision) and the cybernetic equivalents thereof are so cheap and easily obtainable they're practically a given for 9 out of 10 Shadowrun characters.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Kai Tave posted:

That's pretty weird considering that four out of five races have some natural way of seeing in the dark (either low-light or thermographic vision) and the cybernetic equivalents thereof are so cheap and easily obtainable they're practically a given for 9 out of 10 Shadowrun characters.

That, and it seems like a dumb gotcha. Flashlights are one of those things you just assume characters have unless there's a reason they don't.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Shadowrun's a gear porn game, so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people run and play it with absolute fidelity to the equipment noted on someone's character sheet.

That said, it's also important to note that Shadowrun first came out before the ubiquity of cell/smartphones, so while back in the 2E days GMs might manage to catch their players without a light source once or a way to see in the dark once in a blue moon these days if anyone asked "so do you have a source of light" expecting their players to have forgotten to bring a flashlight or something the answer is always going to be "yeah, I have my phone with me."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That reminds me of this long, stupid argument about holdable flares in this one online Werewolf game I played many years ago. I can't remember exactly why our pack needed flares you could hold onto without burning your hand, but at no point were any links or examples provided to back up the points of either side of the argument.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
At least Vampires in the latest Blood and Smoke rules can actually see in the dark.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Chaltab posted:

My group, on the other hand, has never made a campaign last more than two years...

I started gaming with my friends when we were fifteen in high school, twenty seven years ago. People have moved away, but there are still four of us left and, despite kids, spouses and jobs we managed to get together once or twice a month to blow the dust off our campaigns and continue.

We have multiple campaigns going because we play them depending on who can make it on any given night and in our history, we've played one Traveler campaign that lasted twenty three years, a Twilight:2000 campaign that lasted over ten and various multiyear AD&D, Harnmaster, Rolemaster, and Pathfinder campaigns.

We've all remained good friends throughout the years, and so I've managed to avoid horrible gaming sessions because I've pretty much only gamed with my friends.

Which is going to be a problem since I'm probably going to be moving out of the area and plan to keep gaming, so I'll be on the hunt for a new group. Hopefully people aren't wierded out by a fortysomething role player...

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Agrikk posted:

Which is going to be a problem since I'm probably going to be moving out of the area and plan to keep gaming, so I'll be on the hunt for a new group. Hopefully people aren't wierded out by a fortysomething role player...
If you're not going too many time zones away, Skype that poo poo. Otherwise, remember that no gaming is better than bad gaming.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

If you're not going too many time zones away, Skype that poo poo. Otherwise, remember that no gaming is better than bad gaming.

Skype? Hah. I wish.

One of these guys is woefully transient in terms of housing and one can't find a power button on a laptop with both hands and a flashlight. I suggested it (even so far as setting up a MegaMek server for intra-session table top BattleTech tourneys), but technology is out.

I can see their point, since our gaming sessions are one part gaming, one part male bonding, one part weedfest and dumb jokes and it's hard to carry that guys-in-a-bar feeling over Skype. But still, I wish we could skype this poo poo, because we've had some drat good times over gaming and I hate to see that go away due to lack of proximity.

But yeah, at this point in my life there will be no Cat Piss Guy for me. My free time is too precious.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

http://tabletitans.com/tales/post/of-mimicry-and-madness posted:

Of Mimicry and Madness

Posted by Edward Bradford Titchener on November 13, 2013

fb twitter

Déjà vu
I once had a DM who was very fond of a certain creature from the Monster Manual. You might have even heard of it: the Mimic.

Our adventuring party was sent forth to get the deeds to the village back from a gang of thieves who had plundered the town Noble’s vault.

We located the hideout of the gang. Inside was a treasure room. Just like any other Thieves Guild, there are chests upon chests just lined up along the walls.

Our party’s Thief (no, he wasn't a Rogue he was a downright underhanded Thief) who stole anything not locked down, attempted to pick the locks on the first chest when our DM shouts,

"It's a Mimic!"

After a quick fight, we bested the beast and took our loot.

Surely there can't be a Mimic in place of the next chest in line?

Wrong, it's a Mimic, too.

Wash, rinse, repeat... for every chest all the way up to the one sitting on the pedestal.

The DM asks what we do next and the Wizard checks his sheet.

He pauses for a second and says, "I use the last charge on my wand of fireballs to preemptively strike the Mimic waiting at the top of the pedestal."

The DM smiles, which is never ever a good sign.

"You just incinerated the one real chest in the room, utterly destroying the deeds to not only that village but half of the valley. You cannot turn in your quest. Your employer, when he finds out, will place a bounty on your heads."

I don't really know if there is a moral to this story, unless that maybe it’s better to be attacked than burn your treasure to the ground.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Man, what a stupid loving player. All of them! Complete idiots, for even playing with such a bastard of a DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm kind of curious how it continued.
Did they lie to the noble? "Sorry, my lord, but we cannot retrieve what is not there." Or "A Mimic ate them, some goon was dumb enough to store them in a room full of mimics, why did they keep so many mimics."
Or are they now fireball throwing anarchists? "Land reform for everyone!"