Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I got a shiny charizard and that's all I will ever need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Pollyanna posted:

Also, does anyone else think Fairy is kind of overpowered type matchup-wise?

Yeah they basically nerfed Dragon type by introducing another type that needs to be nerfed. On the other hand, there aren't too many fairies, let alone powerful ones.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

It just means that more people get to learn that poison is the best type.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Feranon posted:

Yeah they basically nerfed Dragon type by introducing another type that needs to be nerfed. On the other hand, there aren't too many fairies, let alone powerful ones.

How can you evaluate whether a type is overpowered and needs to be nerfed other than by asking whether something its members have in common is that they're overpowered and could be nerfed by nerfing the type they have in common?

I don't claim that Pokemon is perfectly balanced, but I don't see a problem with asymmetry between the various different types. The type table is asymmetric by design, different types have moves that are good for different things, etc. People complain for example that Poison is in need of a buff, but what in principle is wrong with possessing a given type being essentially a negative in most cases? Pokemon are balanced through having negative abilities, after all. Why should some types not be worse than others?

Canned Bread
Feb 26, 2013

Best Thing Since Sliced!

Pollyanna posted:

Well yeah duh, but... what is it? It looks like a mouth retainer or something.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Haha, someone sent me Quacklin' through Wonder Trade.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

As a type on paper, Fairy seems pretty great. On the other hand, Fairy is an uncommon type and tends to be on special-based Pokemon with fairly weak defensive stats (or are just defensive/utilitarian to begin with).

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 9, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

That's my favorite episode. The questions relating to pikachu, and whether or not he lifts always lifts my spirits.

He doesn't.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does Feint remove the effect of matblock on Greninja and his partner, only the target hit, or neither of them?

Feranon posted:

Dragon was never an overpowered type in the first place. What made it seem op was that they kept make psuedolegendary dragon types packing monstrous 600 stat spreads with huge movepools, so of course it came off as overpowered. It took 3 generations for there to be a dragon type that could even be considered mediocre.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 9, 2013

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Haha, having Gligar and Noivern on a Singles Maison team brings what should have been a predictable result: ICE ICE ICE ICE. Still, for my first time doing the Maison I am having fun. I need to reset and EV train this Halloween-themed team to do a bit better, but tossing out LokShokBarel my Scrafty to punch all the ice nerds is too much fun to grind hordes or Supa Train. :getin:

Edit: As I mentioned my Halloween team, I figure I should post it before it is too outdated. I had issues with finding non-Dark/Ghost types, but I think I did okay balance-wise.

"Nightgaunt" the Noivern (Cthulhu mythos)
"LokShokBarel" the Scrafty (Nightmare Before Christmas and trick-or-treater)
"Black Flame" the Chandelure (from Hocus Pocus)
"The Countess" the Gligar (vampire)
"Punkin <3" the Gourgeist (obvious)

I can't remember the sixth at the moment. Other good pokes I considered were Zoroark as a werewolf, Parasect as a zombie (gently caress bug/grass though), and Zubat. I actually bred a Muk named Slimer, but Muk's moveset is poo poo without BW tutors. Obviously most dark- and ghost-types work.

What would go on a fall or Thanksgiving team? There isn't a Turkey poke is there? A tree poke that changed seasons as its gimmick could be cool.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 9, 2013

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Up to 27 boxes of Bergmite! I'm in too deep to stop now!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Feranon posted:

So They need to nerf fairy type except they don't need to?

Fairy type is only over-power atm because literally no one runs anything to counter them because they've been conditioned to ignore Poison and Steel as attacking types. Once we get actual tiers again you'll see a surge of both those and fairy type will shift down to the tier of "Pretty Okay type" along side Dark.

Azumarill, Klefki, Togekiss and maaaaaaybe Mega/Gardevior will be the only real top tier Fairies.

Though Pupcake will be a UU murdering beast.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 9, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What would go on a fall or Thanksgiving team? There isn't a Turkey poke is there? A tree poke that changed seasons as its gimmick could be cool.

Deerling's whole deal is seasonal forms.

EDIT: Will I just get a call from the day care if my pokemon make an egg like previous games?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lizard Wizard posted:

EDIT: Will I just get a call from the day care if my pokemon make an egg like previous games?

No, but you'll know an egg's ready if the guy at the fence if he's faced towards you.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Pollyanna posted:

Shoulda called him Mauvenger.

Also, does anyone else think Fairy is kind of overpowered type matchup-wise? It's got pretty much the best balance between defensive and offensive advantages that I've seen, and a lot of Pokemon (the ones I use, anyway) aren't very good against it. The only effective attack type I use with any regularity that is Steel, and there's not a lot of those. Plus, Poison might have an advantage over it, but it still kinda sucks anyway.

There's only a handful of good Poison types. I really like Drapion but I ultimately concede he's butt-tier. Gengar, Tentacruel, Venusaur (mega), Croagunk, maaaybe Dragalge are fairly good and usable.

Fairy type I don't really know that well but it would seem that Sylveon, Xerneas, Mawile (mega), Togekiss, Klefki, maaaybe Carbink, and Gardevoir all have their uses for sure. I am always rolling with a Steel type ( :h: Metagross-chan :h: ) and so far I've only really had problems with Mawile and Klefki.

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 9, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There's only a handful of good Poison types. I really like Drapion but I ultimately concede he's butt-tier. Gengar, Tentacruel, Venusaur (mega), Croagunk, maaaybe Dragalge are fairly good and usable.

Fairy type I don't really know that well but it would seem that Sylveon, Xerneas, Mawile (mega), Togekiss, Klefki, maaaybe Carbink, and Gardevoir all have their uses for sure. I am always rolling with a Steel type ( :h: Metagross-chan :h: ) and so far I've only really had problems with Mawile and Klefki.

You forgot Garbodor.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

You guys really like Garbodor don't you.

It's honestly making me laugh for some reason, I'm starting to warm up to the fella.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I used a Garbodor on my Black 2 in-game team because no one respects her and barring her stupid fart-noise cry she was a lot of fun :)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I like Garbodor, I just wish it had a few more attacking options.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hated Garbodor and Trubbish until I did my Nuzlocke run of White 2. I was forced to use a Trubbish, and originally hated the little guy. Then he made a complete joke out of the electric gym with his toxic spikes and I grew to love him. To bad he died a tragic death because I forgot poison was weak to ground. He was one level from evolution to! RIP Pvt. Pile :japan:

Garbodor still sucks though. gently caress Garbodor.

VVV Physical attacks ruin almost every fairy since they all specialize in special defense. Off the top of my head Azumarill and Mawlie are the only exceptions.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 9, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Pollyanna posted:

Also, does anyone else think Fairy is kind of overpowered type matchup-wise? It's got pretty much the best balance between defensive and offensive advantages that I've seen, and a lot of Pokemon (the ones I use, anyway) aren't very good against it. The only effective attack type

Nope. There are only a handful that are even useable and aside from Togekiss, they will all go down to a straight-shot Earthquake. Togekiss is then brought down easily by any sort of physical attack that Flying is weak to, and Scizor just laughs at it.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Internet Kraken posted:

Garbodor still sucks though. gently caress Garbodor.

I thought they would be cool an fun in my first run on B/W, but then like the Pokemon itself, it was literal garbage.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Up to 27 boxes of Bergmite! I'm in too deep to stop now!

Today is the day, man. I can feel it.
1/10 boxes of eevee eggs hatched so far

EDIT: Well the grand total is 50something boxes so far but who cares? Thank god I'm only after one shiny.

Lenaway fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 9, 2013

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zahki posted:

Zygarde can't be used in online ranked battles or in the battle maison either.

I don't get why it isn't, since it only has a 600 BST and isn't an event pokemon. That's the same as regular garchomp, the Lati's, heatran, etc. and they're all legal.

Internet Kraken posted:

Dragon was never an overpowered type in the first place. What made it seem op was that they kept make psuedolegendary dragon types packing monstrous 600 stat spreads with huge movepools, so of course it came off as overpowered. It took 3 generations for there to be a dragon type that could even be considered mediocre.

It's not just that they had the biggest stats, They also have the best neutral coverage since it was the only type in the game to be resisted by only one type, meaning that if you didn't have a steel type left, they could plow through your whole team with dragon dance + outrage or specs/orb/gem boosted draco meteors. Dragon dance is one of the best boosting moves in the game and the drawbacks of outrage and draco meteor are negated by switching. Outrage wasn't a big deal in doubles since it hits a random opponent, meaning no one used it, but draco meteor from Latios or Hydreigon, boosted by a dragon gem, completely defined the metagame. At 140 bp +STAB +gem, it OHKO'd almost any non-steel type that wasn't EV'd specifically to survive it, and sometimes you really had to go out of your way to that.

Crosscontaminant posted:

Goddamnit. I thought I had something with a 252 HP/40 Atk/176+ Def spread on Gogoat to pair it with a Florges using Grassy Terrain, but then I realised Rock Slide is a spread move in Doubles and won't KO Talonflame under any circumstances.

This is one of those situations were you just use protect on gogoat and let a partner take out Talonflame. That's just doubles 101. Anyway, even if you did find a way to beat talonflame with gogoat 1vs1, your gogoat still isn't going to be able to take supereffective special attacks. Asymmetrical walls just won't cut it in doubles since your oppenent can attack from both the physical and special sides in the same turn.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Feranon posted:

First I've heard of this. How does it work?

It got mentioned just a little while ago.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Came upon another counter for Aegislash.

Bisharp.
King's Shield has no effect on it except stalling.
Has Sucker Punch, and is faster than Aegislash.
Wouldn't care about Shadow Sneak anyway since it actually has decent physical defense.
With a choice band, or any stage attack boost, this OHKOs 252 HP/252 ATK Aegislash in Shield form after pretty much any residual damage.

Also, Bisharp is the only steel type to still resist ghost and dark.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I wonder how they're gonna deal with Deerling in this one since as far as I can tell, there aren't any seasons? Or are there, and I'll see a change in like three days? That'd be nice, I'm pretty tired of playing at 9PM and the sun is still up in-game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vaxan posted:

Have you tried the Time-machine breeding Technique? Here it is in video and text form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL1PtXHDzFU

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/some-sort-of-egg-rng-abuse.3491324/

e:↓ It was made when first discovered. It's just supplementary for those two.
edit edit: Possibly a method for pre post game breeders too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 9, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ Not sure why he's recommending Rare Candies to check IVs. The Judge can tell you about any perfect IVs, and the Battle Institute will automatically level your pokemon to lvl 50. I guess using rare candies doesn't require beating the game first?

Gensuki posted:

Came upon another counter for Aegislash.

Bisharp.
King's Shield has no effect on it except stalling.
Has Sucker Punch, and is faster than Aegislash.
Wouldn't care about Shadow Sneak anyway since it actually has decent physical defense.
With a choice band, or any stage attack boost, this OHKOs 252 HP/252 ATK Aegislash in Shield form after pretty much any residual damage.

Also, Bisharp is the only steel type to still resist ghost and dark.

Can Sucker Punch really OHKO it? Because Sacred Sword will destroy that thing.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 9, 2013

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

So are people online usually this careless?

8RLG-WWWW-WWW2-MS8M

After OHKOing his Garchomp with my Frosslass, which only has 1hp thanks to its Focus Sash, he sends out Mewtwo. He then proceeds to use Aura Sphere, which doesn't work, giving me a free Shadow Ball. Then I send out my Noivern, so he decides to Mega Evolve. Into Mega Mewtwo X! Thanks for making my Hurricane attack super effective I guess?

Feels good to beat an OU/Uber team with some random misfits though.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Dragon was never an overpowered type in the first place.

What? It was designed to be overpowered. 4 resistances, only one type resisted Dragon and two weaknesses, one of which is...Dragon. I don't think theres any way to argue that it wasn't the best type, the fact that it got plenty of 600BST mons like Dragonite and Garchomp helped, but when every single team needs to pack a steel so they don't get outraged to death you know somethings wonky.

quote:

Fairy type is only over-power atm because literally no one runs anything to counter them because they've been conditioned to ignore Poison and Steel as attacking types. Once we get actual tiers again you'll see a surge of both those and fairy type will shift down to the tier of "Pretty Okay type" along side Dark.

This is correct. Once people get over the Gen 5 mentality and start packing steel and poison moves Fairies won't be an issue at all.

Zahki fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 9, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Dragon was never an overpowered type in the first place.

Of course you'd say that, INTERNET KRAKEN. :colbert:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

Max HP for Aegislash is 324.
While in defense mode, with perfect defense IVs and no EVs, CB Bisharp Sucker punch does 294 minimum damage, 314 average damage, 348 max damage. so between 91% and 108% damage. Any higher boost and OHKO is 100%

If Aegislash has taken at least 10% damage from something (LO or most attacks) It KOs 100% of the time.

What does Aegislash normally hold? I can only think of Leftovers or Life Orb since Choice items are a terrible idea for it. Maybe a Gem or Berry?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

HeyItsAyls posted:

So are people online usually this careless?

8RLG-WWWW-WWW2-MS8M

After OHKOing his Garchomp with my Frosslass, which only has 1hp thanks to its Focus Sash, he sends out Mewtwo. He then proceeds to use Aura Sphere, which doesn't work, giving me a free Shadow Ball. Then I send out my Noivern, so he decides to Mega Evolve. Into Mega Mewtwo X! Thanks for making my Hurricane attack super effective I guess?

Feels good to beat an OU/Uber team with some random misfits though.

My Ludicolo had a reputation as a legend-killer thanks to Coliseum. He, Hitmonchan, and Houndoom were my surprisingly effective misfit squad.

It was a sweeper variant, too. Not the usual stall/rain dish.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Trying to check my Pichu's IVs through Marriland. Are "Nods off a lot" and "Often dozes off" the same thing?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (custom): 257-304 (79.32 - 93.82%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You need some prior damage if Sticky Web isn't on your side or you don't get lucky and proc a Special Defense drop from switching in on a Shadow Ball. Choice Band gets a guaranteed KO but Choiced Sucker Punch is a terrible idea. It's a solid check but since Bisharp can't switch in on Sacred Sword it's not a counter.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lizard Wizard posted:

Trying to check my Pichu's IVs through Marriland. Are "Nods off a lot" and "Often dozes off" the same thing?

Don't think so. Just use this gen 6 calculator instead: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Strange Quark posted:

Don't think so. Just use this gen 6 calculator instead: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Aha. Having an up-to-date calculator will probably be useful.
Thanks for making noise all the time website, I appreciate it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zahki posted:

What? It was designed to be overpowered. 4 resistances, only one type resisted Dragon and two weaknesses, one of which is...Dragon.

Don't forget that its other weakness is Ice, the only type in the game that is an active liability on any Pokemon no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lizard Wizard posted:

Aha. Having an up-to-date calculator will probably be useful.
Thanks for making noise all the time website, I appreciate it

You can at least mute it at the bottom.

• Locked thread