Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Havent seen anything remotely like that underwater. Have you tried getting it id'd over at plantedtank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
some sort of hygro

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Malalol posted:

some sort of hygro

The old Korean lady said something that sounded like Hygrophila compacta,* but it clearly isn't that.

* Well actually it sounded like Hy-gu-ro-uh-pi-lya kom-pa-kuh-tuh but she was running a massive place with probably 800 species of plants minimum so who loving knows. Lady clearly knew her poo poo so it's really regrettable that I can't talk to her.

They had what is, for Korea, a very lackluster assortment of Malaysian driftwood:

About 8$ a pound.

Looks about right. Cool, I like what I'm reading about fast growth and interesting emersed flowers and such.
VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 7, 2013

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
It looks exactly like Hygrophila corymbosa "Angustifolia."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

New digs for my betta. Now with 100% less doubling as a water bowl for my cats. (What the hell was I thinking getting an open-top fish bowl.)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Fun fact when ordering from live aquaria: Fish are shipped double bagged. This wouldn't be a problem, except the inner bag is open on one end and rubber banded closed on the other.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Anyone here have experience with dwarf pike? I just ordered two Crenicichla Regani from Jeff Rapps. I'm pretty excited.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I think I got hit with the bug now. I'm pondering a little fluval ebi (or maybe the plant one) to go with my 16 gal tank. The reason is that the 16 isn't really friendly to shrimp due to the filtering method.

This also goes back to my last post about live aquaria. I ordered in 10 more cpds to fill out the residents some more. What I got though was pretty small even from previous orders. These guys are closer to that of fry. I've already lost one that while being retrieved after falling over went over further and met its demise with the pump. I've enacted the old sponge dams I was using with the shrimp to keep them in the tank till they grow some more. If I had a little ebi, I could have tossed them in there and let them grow out without fear before introducing back.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

JuffoWup posted:

I think I got hit with the bug now. I'm pondering a little fluval ebi (or maybe the plant one) to go with my 16 gal tank.

You are infected with MTS (More Tank Syndrome). Expect your tanks to multiply like MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

You are infected with MTS (More Tank Syndrome). Expect your tanks to multiply like MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails).

I'm happy that I'm still looking at small tanks though. However, a 120 is very tempting in the future.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
So I had a runaway snail problem in my tank but now I don't see any. No shells either. Did the Rams eat them, is that a thing Rams do?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Total newby here. My parents had a huge tropical tank when I was growing up although to be honest I wasn't that involved in the upkeep, I just enjoyed them so much. I do miss having fish and since I now have my own house and am settled in I'm giving serious thought to setting up a freshwater aquarium. I'm very much in the research phase at the moment so don't have any thing set up. I've read through the entire thread and have trawled through some of the suggested forums and have decided I'm going for a 110 ltr tank (29 gallons) so 1) I have a wider choice of fish and 2) it makes cycling more forgiving since its my first time. I'm hoping to have a peaceful aquarium with a decent quantity of pretty, playful little fish in there and possibly a snail. To start with I'll probably have silk plants with the hope of introducing live plants once I've gotten more experienced.

Today I went to an aquarium and made a note of the fish that called out to me as being loving beautiful and amazing. I was wondering if the good fish goons here would cast an eye over my list and tell me if they go well together and how many I should be looking to introduce into my 29 gallon tank? I know I'm getting ahead of myself thinking about stocking before I even have a tank, but it's something I'm really excited about.

So, I was thinking along the lines of...
Dwarf Gourami
Rummy Nose Tetra
Golden Danios
Diamond Tetra
Marble Molly

I was thinking of having one or two each of the larger varieties then one or two shoals of the smaller varieties. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gourami can be aggressive.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I would do maybe, 10-20~ rummies, 1 gourami, 6-10~ diamond tetras. If you really want the molly, go for one :D for a few. and have babies. Get a more powerful filter, keep up with water changes. Id probably be called out on overstocking, but I am personally okay with stocking levels like that as long as water quality is kept tiptop. Wouldnt add all at once though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Gourami are always listed as semi aggressive, but that has never been my experience fortunately. Keep an eye on it, and provide a lot of cover throughout the tank so everyone feels safe.

I suggest more than your other fish however, buying the gourami from a reputable place. The dwarves are prone to an untreatable wasting disease, and it sucks to watch helplessly as they waste away. Good breeding helps avoid it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, when I worked at a Petsmart (Yes I know) the manager of the specialty section was this ridiculous, PET Island level animal care nutjob. We had like 8 quarantine tanks in the back that she basically stole from the shelves (Policy was 2). We would get pretty much every fish from the normal providers but we always got gourami from a second provider.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a good getting started guide somewhere? I'd like to maybe start a 5gal tank with a betta and maaaayybee some shrimp? Would the beta eat the shrimp? I have no idea!

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Gourami are territorial and aggressive other anabantids (Betta, other Gouramis), but in my experience they aren't aggressive towards other kinds of fish. Dwarf Gourami are an inbred special sort anyway, they should be just fine in a community tank as long as you don't add too many of them. 1 would be great.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
^^ yeah, my dwarf has been just fine, but I assumed they had the same personality of a beta going in so have kept it to one. He has been a cool guy in my 16 with an oto and some cpds.

Xun posted:

Is there a good getting started guide somewhere? I'd like to maybe start a 5gal tank with a betta and maaaayybee some shrimp? Would the beta eat the shrimp? I have no idea!

Betas are finicky fish. One will have the temperament that anything without fins is food while the next one could care less if his/her home is infested to the point they are climbing over each other with shrimp and snails.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xun posted:

That's a popular arrangement, but unpredictable.

Provide the betta with a better source of food (i.e. easier to catch or tastier) and he'll hopefully ignore your shrimp. Mostly. They also tend to ignore the larger shrimp species which are definitely too big to fit in its mouth, like Amanos. Cherry and crystal shrimp are definitely on the edible list for a betta though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xun posted:

Bear in mind a five gallon tank is really, really easy to nuke. Like you make a pretty bad mistake in a 20 gallon and it's no big deal but even the tiniest mistake in a five gallon and the hair algae becomes sentient, garrotes your fish and forms a giant, throbbing middle finger soaring majestically out of your tank.

I've heard of Amanos trying to eat tank-mates. Is that a real thing or just a mix up with species?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Thank you so much everybody. I have to admit I'm thrilled that the fish I fell for can all work together. Malalol thanks for the numbers too. I popped onto that stocking calculator site yesterday and entered in a gourami and about 5 tetras and it told me my tank was 50% full. Maybe because I didn't enter in the filter requirements it was all off, but gently caress, I despaired at having such a huge tank and seemingly hardly any fish in there. I'll hold off on the Molly too, don't want to over complicate things at the off.

I have to decorate my living room and tear out the old fireplace, so Im holding off till that's finished before setting up my tank. The delay is probably a very good idea as it gives me ample time to research and learn as much as possible. I'm going to another aquarium today to check out the plants.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Well I'm gearing up to planting the hell out of my 75 finally. I ordered a 48" Finnex Ray 2, another piece of driftwood, and the following plants:

Tennis ball of Java Moss
5 Java Ferns
5 Narrow Leaf Java Ferns
2 Anubias Barteri
2 Anubias Nana
5 Stargrass
10 Jungle Val

I'm really trying to find more java moss, java ferns, and anubias without paying commercial site prices, I've been looking on planted tank, but I haven't had any success. I think I'm going to go ahead and fork over the money and buy some Anubias Congensis just because it looks really cool. I'm planning on keeping my tank low tech so no c02. I'll be strictly using liquid ferts and root tabs. Anyone else have any suggestions as to what else I should try to plant?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I woke up to find one of my spotted corydoras in bad shape (dead). I've never seen anything quite like it, and I'm not able to find any fish disease pictures that look like my poor little guy. His eyes were bulged, his belly swollen, and there was what looked like oozing blood (red blobs) around his fins and on his belly. Any ideas what that could be? Even if we can't tell exactly what the disease was, is there a particular broad spectrum medicine I should use just to be safe?

The water conditions look good, no other fish seem stressed, and the only changes to the tank I've made lately was adding a new plant last week, a smallish Amazon Sword and a Marimo moss ball. It's a 55gallon with several other spotted corys, a couple of albino corys, 2 big rear end in a top hat chinese algae eaters, and about 6 neon tetras.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

pahuyuth posted:

I woke up to find one of my spotted corydoras in bad shape (dead). I've never seen anything quite like it, and I'm not able to find any fish disease pictures that look like my poor little guy. His eyes were bulged, his belly swollen, and there was what looked like oozing blood (red blobs) around his fins and on his belly. Any ideas what that could be? Even if we can't tell exactly what the disease was, is there a particular broad spectrum medicine I should use just to be safe?

The water conditions look good, no other fish seem stressed, and the only changes to the tank I've made lately was adding a new plant last week, a smallish Amazon Sword and a Marimo moss ball. It's a 55gallon with several other spotted corys, a couple of albino corys, 2 big rear end in a top hat chinese algae eaters, and about 6 neon tetras.

Yikes. But then again I've had a few Cory's keel over for no visible reason at all so at least you got something to work with.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Aw man, I was hoping to get some cherry shrimp too. I'm mostly considering a 5gal because of space/cost reasons since I'll be moving into an apartment with roommates soon and I'm not sure if they'd appreciate a huge tank in the way. What kind's of mistake will cause stuff like algae to become sentient and destroy everything?

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I was down in Tucson for the weekend and since Cowslip's Warren mentioned the presence of an awesome freshwater store there in the last thread I stopped in for a peek before we left. Turns out they had the most beautiful tank setups I had ever seen and the fabled pea puffers I have been trying to find for the past few weeks. I came home with three of the little guys and knowledge of another great aquarium store within driving distance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xun posted:

Aw man, I was hoping to get some cherry shrimp too. I'm mostly considering a 5gal because of space/cost reasons since I'll be moving into an apartment with roommates soon and I'm not sure if they'd appreciate a huge tank in the way. What kind's of mistake will cause stuff like algae to become sentient and destroy everything?

Just from my own experience, I have kept a few bettas with cherry shrimp, but mine was a large and active cherry shrimp colony with around 40 or so adult shrimp and numerous hatchlings. My blue betta was definitely chomping down on them, but not enough to even begin to make a dent in the numbers. I later moved him to a larger tank and got another betta for my 4 gal, and he didnt show any interest in eating them at all. Ditto for my current betta. He'd flare at the cherries, but never take a bite at them. That first guy I put in with the cherries though? I'd wake up and find shrimp parts all over. :v:

Algae control is basically limiting nutrients and lighting. Dont overfeed, make sure your lighting is adequate for your tank. Excessive food breaks down, algae uses it up. Same with excess lighting, too much encourages algae growth. A tank facing large sunny windows will be an algae apocalypse, that kind of thing.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 10, 2013

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Whale Cancer posted:

Anyone here have experience with dwarf pike? I just ordered two Crenicichla Regani from Jeff Rapps. I'm pretty excited.

I have experience with larger pike like saxatalis and johanna. Be ready to separate them if one decides that it doesn't like the other. My dominant female saxatalis pike literally ate the scalp off the smaller one (a male). Also, they are predators, so things the size of lemon tetras will start disappearing as well. The johanna was a solo, and did fine with similarly sized cichlids.

They have a TON of personality though, so I am excited to see how they turn out. I sold off the dominant female, and miss her, but her new owner actually successfully bred her with a male that she decided she didn't hate, so I can't be too sad. :)

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Whale Cancer posted:

They are awesome fish. They are also completely unpredictable behavior-wise. I had one pair that lived together for three years quite happily, through multiple spawns, then, one day out of the blue the female decided that she didn't like daddy anymore and killed the poo poo out of him. My second pair had to be separated at all times save for spawning. The female would tolerate the male when she was ready to make some babies, then as soon as the fry got to a certain size, the tank changed from nursery to thunderdome overnight. The good news is they never really bothered any other tank inhabitants. Just be aware that they'll eat anything they can fit into their mouth, and that their mouths are bigger than you think.

In regards to your second post, don't bother looking for additional java moss. You'll have more than you ever wanted soon enough. Similarly, if you want more ferns, an easy way to do that is to clip a leaf (preferably an old one) off the plant and leave it floating in the tank. Soon enough it'll pop out tons of baby plants. As far as other plants in a low-tech setup, you can't go wrong with crypt. wendtii, any of the anubias, watersprite, maybe bolbitis (african fern) depending on how much light your fixture throws out. Basically, if you want to run without co2, try and stick to slower growing root-feeding plants. The fast growing stem/bunch plants are where you wind up really needing co2 injection to make them happy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just moved a pregnant female shrimp from the shrimp/snail only tank to the mixed tank with potential predators because her colouring was poor.

I think my friends may have been right when they called me shrimp Hitler.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

I just moved a pregnant female shrimp from the shrimp/snail only tank to the mixed tank with potential predators because her colouring was poor.

I think my friends may have been right when they called me shrimp Hitler.

Hitler would call me a monster when it comes to snails.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

My red ramshorns are still dropping like flies, I've seen a couple of babies but the population is definitely decreasing.

On the other hand, my MTS seem to be doing fine and there are only a couple of hydra left! :razz:

Cyn Greythorne
Oct 11, 2013
In order to effect more efficient water changes in a heavily planted tank, could I drill through the side of the tank and install a valve to more efficiently drain water to a desired level?

And no, I don't yet have an aquarium; I am still in the planning stages.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Cyn Greythorne posted:

In order to effect more efficient water changes in a heavily planted tank, could I drill through the side of the tank and install a valve to more efficiently drain water to a desired level?

Hmm, I'd be a bit leery of ruining the tank and / or the valve failing and flooding your house.

If I want to do a big water change without disturbing the substrate I just use an electric gravel vac with the tube off, works pretty well as a no-fuss syphon.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Cyn Greythorne posted:

You 'could' do that, but it sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Water changes aren't that huge of a deal. What is your concern about them?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Squish posted:

I totally wantneed a Moai head.

Are you in the states? I have two of them. Not to life-size scale.

In other news does anyone have a recommendation for hair algae? It's brought upon by high iron in the water and I cannot get around that issue so when in Rome, throw something at it that will eat it. The Amano in the tank have zero interest in it mostly since any attempt to leave their safe area will spell doom for them at the hands of the two GBR's.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 12, 2013

Cyn Greythorne
Oct 11, 2013

Zaffy posted:

You 'could' do that, but it sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Water changes aren't that huge of a deal. What is your concern about them?

I remember them as being rather messy, but that was with a 20g high tank. This time around, and several years later, I will be working with either a 40g or 50g breeder. I would prefer the 40g because I can reach into it better and for the greater light penetration for the plants.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

What has 2 thumbs, 6 eyes, and a big smile on it's face?

This guy because he's got 2 pike in from Jeff Rapps just now! The're drip acclimating.

Whale Cancer fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cyn Greythorne posted:

I remember them as being rather messy, but that was with a 20g high tank. This time around, and several years later, I will be working with either a 40g or 50g breeder. I would prefer the 40g because I can reach into it better and for the greater light penetration for the plants.

The new fluval accent tank has a drain valve just like you describe, if you are willing to drop down to 25 gallons. As for drilling your own tank, it is certainly possible and fairly routinely done. Just do your research and make sure not to purchase a tank with tempered glass.