Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
MOTHER

loving

RED SQUAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hard Clumping posted:

MOTHER

loving

RED SQUAD

Child soldiers. Starfleet is Kony 2012.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hard Clumping posted:

MOTHER

loving

RED SQUAD

More like Dead Squad

:smug:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Emperor's New Cloak: Apparently going to the Mirror Universe is about as difficult as buying a train ticket. Why are we back here anyway? Is the Intendent still duplicitous, sexy, and insane? Yup. Who cares?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Emperor's New Cloak: Apparently going to the Mirror Universe is about as difficult as buying a train ticket. Why are we back here anyway? Is the Intendent still duplicitous, sexy, and insane? Yup. Who cares?

Shut up, that episode rules. If you can't appreciate it for the interplay between the Ferengi contingent of the DS9 crew and Mirror Garak, I don't know what to say to you.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

I love 80s nightmare Kira and her silly headwear, you're bad and dumb.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Vagabundo posted:

More like Dead Squad

:smug:

BETTER DEAD THAN NOVA SQUADRON

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nova Squadron: A legit bunch of punkasses.

Nobody gives a poo poo about the Kolvoord Starburst, you shitbags.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Vagabundo posted:

Shut up, that episode rules. If you can't appreciate it for the interplay between the Ferengi contingent of the DS9 crew and Mirror Garak, I don't know what to say to you.

Exactly. 'Our Garak would have had us strung up by our lobes by now!' and the disturbing inference that Garak has been violated by the Regent. Ick.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 10, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gonz posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about the Kolvoord Starburst, you shitbags.

Wesley was a narc, and sniches get stitches.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Gonz posted:

I can't really decide what this new red squad supporter character I'm doing thinks about nova squadron's problematic whistleblowing conundrum because in my head he just keeps yelling red sqUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

WHAT'S A WHISTLE

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I begin to think that the real thing people find impossible to get about Star Trek isn't the bij-inducing writing, warp drive, replicators or anything, it's the idea of having a society where for the most part you don't have to eat poo poo just to get by.

This aspect of Star Trek has helped me to discover that a not-insignificant chunk of the population is convinced that someone else must suffer in order for their lives to have meaning or merit. I like to think these are the ones who all die during WW3.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tighclops posted:

This aspect of Star Trek has helped me to discover that a not-insignificant chunk of the population is convinced that someone else must suffer in order for their lives to have meaning or merit. I like to think these are the ones who all die during WW3.

Geez, don't you know anything?? The universe obeys the law of Conservation of Happiness!

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Tighclops posted:

If this wasn't a core belief of Star Trek there wouldn't need to have been a third world war for the human race to come around to their awesome post scarcity society. Humans are capable of advancement without killing eathother, except in Star Trek where we would totally need to kill as many people as possible to fill our guilt quotient long enough to peacefully build a Star Armada that has totes non-aggressive and inclusive intentions and has over 100 member species*!

*But still 99% male human star ship captains, because we cant trust those other fuckers to run anything.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Spaceman Future! posted:

*But still 99% male human star ship captains, because we cant trust those other fuckers to run anything.

Except drill extensively to compete at archaic human sports so they can be smug dicks when they win.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Spaceman Future! posted:

If this wasn't a core belief of Star Trek there wouldn't need to have been a third world war for the human race to come around to their awesome post scarcity society. Humans are capable of advancement without killing eathother, except in Star Trek where we would totally need to kill as many people as possible to fill our guilt quotient long enough to peacefully build a Star Armada that has totes non-aggressive and inclusive intentions and has over 100 member species*!

That's not at all a limitation of 1960s and 1980s society or budget or time, nope not at all, let's take everything at face value!!!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Farecoal posted:

That's not at all a limitation of 1960s and 1980s society or budget or time, nope not at all, let's take everything at face value!!!

Human rights. Why the very name is racist. The Federation is no more than a homo sapiens only club.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Farecoal posted:

Farecoal is right! How come every loving time travel episode it's to earth!!!!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

pentyne posted:

You've got to really feel bad for the actor. He got a main Star Trek role probably thinking it might launch him into the same plane of celebrity as the TNG cast and was told he's going to be a super spiritual Native American noble savage and nothing else.

I'd feel bad if he could act and was being wasted in the role.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Farecoal posted:

As opposed to? Am I supposed to judge the show based on how it theoretically could be run on an unlimited budget and in some vague future without societal limitations? I'm trying to wrap my mind around that one, should I be creating alternate plotlines for all shows based on that criteria as well? Lets start with Golden Girls and Wings.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spaceman Future! posted:

As opposed to? Am I supposed to judge the show based on how it theoretically could be run on an unlimited budget and in some vague future without societal limitations? I'm trying to wrap my mind around that one, should I be creating alternate plotlines for all shows based on that criteria as well? Lets start with Golden Girls and Wings.

As someone hinted, there's a reason every time travel episode takes place on Earth. We identify more with humans, so we're watching the stories that involve human captains. There's a good reason not to spend massive amounts of money, time and makeup to make ship captains into aliens when it's only going to risk (no pun intended) alienating your audience. You can pretend there are hundreds of Vulcan, blue antennaed and pig person alien captains, they're just not the ones featured in the story for perfectly good and reasonable narrative reasons.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, there's no Tellarites in command of any Starfleet ships because the Captain is also a diplomat-ambassador type. And do you really want their kind representing your Stepford fleet?

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Starfleet: Where We Don't Accept "The Wrong Type" Of Captains

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Maybe other alien species are smart enough to not want to file into metal deathtraps (remember most of the fleet is Mirandas and Oberths) and flung into the void to be killed by hostile cultures, teleported halfway across known space so it takes decades to get home or trapped in never ending loops until the next ship happens along and gets stuck too.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Humans are capable of advancement without killing each other provided there are no dicks around. Dicks gently caress up everything, so by the time you get to the 24th century most dicks are from other planets or the occasional terrorist/rogue admiral.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Spaceman Future! posted:

See though I think this theory that by bootstrapping ourselves into faster thinkers and such, AND THAT ALONE, we will somehow end up with a wonderful post-scarcity society, is just as unrealistic as the idea that we will brush off the dust of another global conflict and then actually reconstruct society at large to be more humane.

Technological advance alone could just as well make a society where most people are tailor-fit by genes or cyber-investment in order to fit whatever the latest employment fashion is, with huge swaths of actual people rendered obsolete unless they somehow manage to bootstrap into the next 'required' set of skills, talents, gene tweaks etc. while a tiny segment collect all the profits and live like robber kings. This would from a certain perspective be "peaceful," and it would take place without explicitly, violently killing each other, too.

This does not mean technological advance is evil, because in a sense I'm just describing the society of the year 2013; however, I think all this post human business is not an INHERENT GOOD, either, but rather a neutral set of technologies. It is totally legitimate to think Trek craps on 'em out of prejudice, and pretty much correct, but that does not mean these technologies would, necessarily, be deployed in a generally positive way.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 10, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

In the modern era, it's as simple as pointing out that any form of surgery carries inherent risks (and will be getting riskier as we idiotically breed more and more drug-resistant bacteria), and getting brain surgery to plug in some piece of poo poo made by a series of low-bid rear end in a top hat corporations doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I would never, ever want to be an early adopter for brainplugs.

I imagine in the 26th century it's far beyond the 'early adopter' stage. It's just such a basic bit of Sci-Fi tech that Odo treats like a horrible thing. For a galaxy spanning civilization, the Federation can come across like Luddites. Again, I usually love Sci-Fi, and I'm trying to figure out why post-TOS Trek leaves me cold. They never seem to run with ideas or alien cultures. People laugh at TOS' societies ruled by computers and Roman gods, but at least they play with the idea technological change has. Picard is literally the guy who tells you that classical music is inherently superior to The Beatles, and the society seems to endorse that sort of view.

The jail sentence for genetic engineering also conflicts with the idea that the Federation is a progressive utopia.

I remember some Trek novel where Kirk collected paper books and that was seen as odd, which I thought was some cute world-building at the time.

On an unrelated note: http://rickwebb.tumblr.com/post/39063067044/the-economics-of-star-trek-the-proto-post-scarcity

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Picard should totally be into classical music, that's fine. But he's from the future, so his idea of classic music should be Cannibal Corpse. Just chilling in his quarters, leafing through paperwork while in his silky shorts and lounge-blouse, while Corpsegrinder is screaming in the background about Blunt Force Castration. He plays his Inner Light flute along with the guitar solos and Riker stops by to play rhythm trombone to Gallery of Suicide.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Picard should totally be into classical music, that's fine. But he's from the future, so his idea of classic music should be Cannibal Corpse. Just chilling in his quarters, leafing through paperwork while in his silky shorts and lounge-blouse, while Corpsegrinder is screaming in the background about Blunt Force Castration. He plays his Inner Light flute along with the guitar solos and Riker stops by to play rhythm trombone to Gallery of Suicide.
Please.

Jethro Tull.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Neat bit of news: Martok's expanding his political reach to upstate New York.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

In the future, music historians will remember our era as the "Age of Yanni."

(Seriously though, NIN is gonna be the classical music of the future and no one can tell me otherwise.)

Hard Clumping posted:

Farecoal is right! How come every loving time travel episode it's to earth!!!!

I was having a stupid thought about this recently. I was looking at some old DS9 stuff, and I noticed that whenever our heroes are on the Defiant and get sucked back into the past or whatever and they have to infiltrate Earth, they don't get the sort of plastic surgery disguises they got on TNG. Makes sense, of course, since the Defiant's medbay wouldn't doesn't have a cosmetic surgery suite, so we get things like Kira's nose bandage and Worf's hood.

Anyway, this got me wondering what would happen if some ship got shot into the past, and they had to send down someone like a Cardassian or a Rigellian or someone with a really wrinkly forehead. And then I started imagining this scenario where a ship is parked over 21st century Earth, and they need to send down an away team to get the doodad, but one of qualified people they need on the team is a Benzite. They try to get her in a hijab and niqab, but no, it's been a long day and she's tired of all this time fuckery, so she just beams down in jeans and a hoodie, and whenever anyone tries to hassle her about the face, she just busts out a "oh, I'm sorry, does my birth defect offend you in some way?" or "hey, guys, guess who doesn't like my reconstructive surgery!" until all the past people just get really uncomfortable and leave.

And now that I've written that, I want Surly Benzite Chick to be in a new series.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, the only music of the past 50 years that you can absolutely confident will be memorable enough to stick around that long is probably the Beatles.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
It's pretty hard to even tell that the Bajorans are aliens. Who notices noses? Again, it plays into the conservatism that the aliens look so human. And don't blame budgets, since Dr Who made weirder aliens on no money.

On a positive note, the acting in DS9 is amazing. Why aren't Alexander Siddig and Avery Brooks huge stars or at least prestige actors?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 10, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Marshal Radisic posted:

In the future, music historians will remember our era as the "Age of Yanni."

(Seriously though, NIN is gonna be the classical music of the future and no one can tell me otherwise.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-1F_iIIuw&t=10s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

It's pretty hard to even tell that the Bajorans are aliens. Who notices noses? Again, it plays into the conservatism that the aliens look so human. And don't blame budgets, since Dr Who made weirder aliens on no money.

On a positive note, the acting in DS9 is amazing. Why aren't Alexander Siddig and Avery Brooks huge stars or at least prestige actors?
Are you talking old Who or modern Who? My impression either way is that in most cases the aliens are monsters, while on Trek they tend to be more characters. Compare the Klingons even when they were basically the Devil to the Daleks. So, I'd chalk that up to different style, really.

As for the latter, Brooks mostly works in theater I think? He is or was a professor at Rutgers, anyway.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, the only music of the past 50 years that you can absolutely confident will be memorable enough to stick around that long is probably the Beatles.

You really misspelt Celine. How'd you gently caress that up so badly? :confused:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MikeJF posted:

It will be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRghYqi090

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No, no, the Nokia Tune is from 1902.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the music we hear today were actually still around. There's a reason that orchestras are struggling, and it's because their elitist, Eurocentric mindset has needed to adapt for decades. Classical music is amazing, don't get me wrong, and if the people who played it could get past the playing-by-rote (and only in the requisite concert hall spaces) mindset, I think it could get a little more of a foothold, but plenty of independent music and pop music has complexity and staying power. It's just complex by timbre and by time signature (which, coincidentally, weights the performer/composer importance differently than classical and makes recording more important).

Greg Sandow, who teaches at Julliard, has a lot to say about this kind of thing, but the take home is that the classical music community, as it currently exists, has a problem with lamenting that nobody listens or engages with them anymore while simultaneously refusing to engage with any other musical communities, plus they're more concerned about playing something "perfectly" than putting any kind of feeling into it. They're Data, basically.

I think Star Trek just has classical and jazz because putting music we recognize in the ~Space Future~ might easily make us laugh too much.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Siddig has played Evil Arab Guy in every movie ever and Brooks is primarily a theater actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought part of the jazz thing was that Frakes actually can legitimately play the trombone?

• Locked thread