Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Is there a Crisis Actor version of IMDB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

twistedmentat posted:

I love the Crisis Actors thing. For those who have not heard of it, some nutbars think that the people who are interviewed or reponding to shootings and terrorist attacks are actually actors as part of a false flag. Because the names of these people are used in the media, then they are found on facebook and what not, so the tinfoil hat crowd harassies and threatens them. Like that guy who helped the kids at Sandy Hook; he's gotten death threats from info wars people (they identified themselves as such) and basically they made his life a living hell because he helped save some kids from being killed. Next time someone says conspiracy people are harmless, tell them that.

The second thing, that's hilarious is that some of these fruitcakes believes that big name actors are used. You end up with stuff like this

http://i.imgur.com/7rltbY4.jpg

Yes, James Holmes was really Jack White. And all these people, who look nothing alike other than sex and some other vague similarties are REALLY THE SAME PEOPLE.

And the guy posting these little selfie makes me laugh, you look totally truthworthy with the wrap around shades and backwards camo baseball cap. I he's at either a monster truck or Klan rally.

This one confuses the gently caress out of me because none of those people have any similarities other than race and gender.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there survivors of incidents that are conspiracy theorists? I don't think anyone who walked away from 9/11 that day would believe that the planes were fake (though I suppose they might believe that the planes were empty or remotely-piloted or done by Bush), and on a more personal level I don't think they'd believe that anyone was a "crisis actor" if you saw someone you know get shot in front of you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gradenko_2000 posted:

and on a more personal level I don't think they'd believe that anyone was a "crisis actor" if you saw someone you know get shot in front of you.

If people are willing to blow themselves up in order to take out as many people as possible because God promises them a seat in Heaven, then there are people willing to get shot to death for whatever reason they have.

At least, that would be the conspiracy theorist response.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

For some reason I always thought that the 'pentagon was hit by a missile' theory was meant to illustrate that the terrorists had better equipment/better striking capability than the US government was willing to admit, essentially a cover-up of additional incompetence/security failures. I remember being sort of ambivalent to it all, reckoning "well maybe I guess?" and never looking into it.

I don't understand why I thought that. You'd think that conspiracy theorists would at least spell out their message.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

Strangely, one of the best explanations for conspiracy theorists of all stripes is mostly missing from this thread and it's one of the most obvious explanations.

People want to seem smart. They want to be the ones who know what 'really' happened. If they 'know' there are aliens at Area 51 and the government is keeping it from the rest of society, guess what? Then they're smarter and more privileged than John Q. Public. They are in the know.

I think that's why I was a libertarian when I was younger. "Nobody knows about my political party!"

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

1st AD posted:

This one confuses the gently caress out of me because none of those people have any similarities other than race and gender.

Seriously?
I mean, some of those people have the same hair colour too. What are the chances of that? Eh?

There's a picture around of the aftermath of Boston where one guy has his foot blown off & just a length of bone showing, matched to a movie aet (I think) with an actor in prosthetics which looks pretty much the same. Now I would think it might be because the special effects people tried to make it look like a realistic leg blown off injury. But obviously I'm a gullible fool and the only possible explanation is that it is the same prosthetic, and possibly the same actor. Who must be really annoyed that he did one leg-blown-off scene and then that's all people use him for now...

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there survivors of incidents that are conspiracy theorists? I don't think anyone who walked away from 9/11 that day would believe that the planes were fake (though I suppose they might believe that the planes were empty or remotely-piloted or done by Bush), and on a more personal level I don't think they'd believe that anyone was a "crisis actor" if you saw someone you know get shot in front of you.

Depends on what you consider a conspiracy theory I guess. A significant number of the victims of the Lockerbie bombing (and their relatives), for example, believe that the man convicted of masterminding the attack (al-Megrahi) was framed in order to facilitate closure of the issue and reopen relations between Libya and the West. Among their supporters are Hans Kochler, the international observer for the trial who called the verdict "a spectacular miscarriage of justice", and Professor Robert Black who provided the legal opinions that led to the neutral-ground-under-scots-law circumstances of the case who initially said the evidence was insufficient to convict al-Megrahi, and now believes the evidence which has come to light in recent years fully proves him innocent.

Certainly I think those who accept the trial's verdict would say that's a conspiracy theory, but I feel more charitably inclined since their position is essentially "we want further investigation to find out who did the bombing because the bomber got away with it, and the man who was convicted is innocent" rather than insisting it was aliens or a false flag attack or whatever.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012

Count Roland posted:

They don't try and come up with a plausible hypothesis. They just make the tiniest nit-picks and expect it to coalesce into something bigger.

Young earth creationists and holocaust deniers do the same thing, where they ignore mountains of evidence and focus on minor inconsistencies like out-of-place artifacts or the precise volume of ash created by burning a human corpse. Is there a name for this specific kind of denialism?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

http://i.imgur.com/7rltbY4.jpg

Yes, James Holmes was really Jack White. And all these people, who look nothing alike other than sex and some other vague similarties are REALLY THE SAME PEOPLE.

I really would like to hear the details behind that conspiracy theorist believing that Jack White tried to steal his silver.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Radio Prune posted:

I always thought the :byodood: CRISIS ACTOR :byodood: people clearly have some sort of face perception impairment, which kinda lends something to those who might try and pathologize conspiracy theorists/ies.

:beck::"Zooming in on this paused video we see pupils consisting of many squares. Clearly this means that they are reptillian humanoids whose hologram generators are failing in front of a hundred man crowd."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Skinny Bins posted:

My Facebook feed is usually devoid of anything particularly political, but several of my friends have posted this link over the past couple of days. I don't really know how to deal with it.

Not being able to recognize faces is a mental disorder. You should advice your friends to consult with a doctor because of possible brain damage.

I'm serious, the only way I ever successfully got conspiracy theorists to shut the gently caress up is by refusing to respond to their arguments except with speculations about their mental health. You really have to drill it into these people that their thinking is abnormal.

V. Illych L. posted:

For some reason I always thought that the 'pentagon was hit by a missile' theory was meant to illustrate that the terrorists had better equipment/better striking capability than the US government was willing to admit, essentially a cover-up of additional incompetence/security failures. I remember being sort of ambivalent to it all, reckoning "well maybe I guess?" and never looking into it.

I don't understand why I thought that. You'd think that conspiracy theorists would at least spell out their message.

The reason you thought that is because it is the most logical reason to claim that a missile struck the Pentagon. In reality, the crazy people say that a missile was used instead of a plane because a plane was not used, it was disposed of otherwise/never existed.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 7, 2013

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy

CommieGIR posted:

From the government that cannot even get their Joint Strike Fighter program to work properly.

From a government that couldn't cover a blowjob the most powerful person in the world received, in the most secure room in the world.
From a single 21 year old intern. With no witnesses whatsoever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SedanChair posted:

I really would like to hear the details behind that conspiracy theorist believing that Jack White tried to steal his silver.

Yea. That part made me laugh. Also why not gold? I thought all these guys were goldbugs.

OzyMandrill posted:

Seriously?
I mean, some of those people have the same hair colour too. What are the chances of that? Eh?

There's a picture around of the aftermath of Boston where one guy has his foot blown off & just a length of bone showing, matched to a movie aet (I think) with an actor in prosthetics which looks pretty much the same. Now I would think it might be because the special effects people tried to make it look like a realistic leg blown off injury. But obviously I'm a gullible fool and the only possible explanation is that it is the same prosthetic, and possibly the same actor. Who must be really annoyed that he did one leg-blown-off scene and then that's all people use him for now...

I saw that when I was looking for a good crisis actor image to post. It really dosen't look like that, but then these people not looking at the evidence to see what it says, they are looking for evidence to prove their theories of FALSE FLAG.

http://i.imgur.com/olLQhcG.jpg

This one is almost popular

http://i.imgur.com/5Qea2Ng.jpg

If i was that soldier I'd sue the poo poo out of everyone who posted that. Or come over with my big giant marine buddies and set the guy straight.

Grouchy Smurf posted:

From a government that couldn't cover a blowjob the most powerful person in the world received, in the most secure room in the world.
From a single 21 year old intern. With no witnesses whatsoever.

Can't cover up Break ins or blowjobs, but cna cover up that they caused the deaths of thousands of Americans.

And I know that they call pouring over the hundreds/thousands/millions of images from these tragedies as anomaly hunting, but I don't know what you'd call basing your argument on them. It is kind of hilarious when you think about these people pouring over what is probably lo res and hastily shot images for weird stuff that they can go onto their internet forum and go "AH HA! I cracked the Illuminati code!".

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
If you want a lot more on faked victims/inability to distinguish clearly different people from one another search yotube for "911 vicsim" and prepare for a world of crazy!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

If you want a lot more on faked victims/inability to distinguish clearly different people from one another search yotube for "911 vicsim" and prepare for a world of crazy!

Thought this was a typo, but left very satisfied when the first video I found mentioned the "9/11 fudge factory".

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Not being able to recognize faces is a mental disorder. You should advice your friends to consult with a doctor because of possible brain damage.

I have that (congenitally, not through brain damage) and I grew up thinking that everyone looks the same and figured out other ways to tell people apart. I guess because this is normal to me I don't find it distressing when I see people on TV who look like other people, but I bet people who acquire it later in life are going to be really freaked out when they start to notice it.

It really sucks when an acquaintance says hi to me and I have to guess who they are or pretend I know who they are without letting on that I can't recognize them, though.

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy

This gem from the D&D thread.
Obviously someone is trolling, but it gives a good impression of what conspiracy theorists are able to create.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

BattleMaster posted:

It really sucks when an acquaintance says hi to me and I have to guess who they are or pretend I know who they are without letting on that I can't recognize them, though.

Out of curiosity, is voice a common clue for you to recognize people? By coincidence I recently read this article about "voice blindness" and couldn't help but think that a prosopagnosia/phonagnosia combo would be extra sucky.

http://www.dana.org/news/features/detail.aspx?id=19394&utm_content=buffer7b50b&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phobic Nest posted:

Out of curiosity, is voice a common clue for you to recognize people? By coincidence I recently read this article about "voice blindness" and couldn't help but think that a prosopagnosia/phonagnosia combo would be extra sucky.

http://www.dana.org/news/features/detail.aspx?id=19394&utm_content=buffer7b50b&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Yeah, actually. When I was watching Pacific Rim, for instance, I flat-out could not tell the main character apart from the two Australians until one of them spoke. It made some of the scenes very confusing. (Also when the main character kept referring to his "brother" I thought he was speaking figuratively rather than literally because of all the talk of the Drift making you really close to your partner, and I had never picked up on the fact that his brother was supposed to look like him, because hey, everyone looks like everyone to me)

Hair really helps too. It really throws me through a loop if someone has a shaved head. One of my friends at university started shaving his head and it screwed me up for a long time.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 9, 2013

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Grouchy Smurf posted:

Obviously someone is trolling, but it gives a good impression of what conspiracy theorists are able to create.

That's clearly a ninja star. What the gently caress is wrong with these people? :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Grouchy Smurf posted:

I don't understand these things. Why would some shadow organization or conspirator insert all of these hidden images or do things where you could trace out their symbol on a map and why are they so obsessed with doing it? Why would you place something like the Freemason's compass on everything aside from your stationary and media, make certain locations that you want to be your centers for organization the shape of the compass, or hide it in the negative space of another design? Why advertise your intentions when you're trying to do shadowy things? Are these conspirators being run by the Crips?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Star Man posted:

I don't understand these things. Why would some shadow organization or conspirator insert all of these hidden images or do things where you could trace out their symbol on a map and why are they so obsessed with doing it? Why would you place something like the Freemason's compass on everything aside from your stationary and media, make certain locations that you want to be your centers for organization the shape of the compass, or hide it in the negative space of another design? Why advertise your intentions when you're trying to do shadowy things? Are these conspirators being run by the Crips?

Part of a lot of conspiracy theory beliefs is that you, Bob Average, has the ability to have a measure of power against Those Evil People, usually by knowing some of their secrets. Therefore they have to have "secrets" hidden in normal stuff for you to find so that you have that power.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Install Windows posted:

Part of a lot of conspiracy theory beliefs is that you, Bob Average, has the ability to have a measure of power against Those Evil People, usually by knowing some of their secrets. Therefore they have to have "secrets" hidden in normal stuff for you to find so that you have that power.

I know. I think of it like pareidolia and seeing things that aren't really there. It's just thinking about it just for a moment and wondering why the people behind the shadows are making their existence so easily known instead of doing everything in their power to make themselves not exist.

But, your point also makes me wonder if being a conspiracy theorist is rooted in misanthropy. The handful of people I've either encountered or have been close to that are conspiracy theorists have been in my experience very untrusting of other people in general for whatever reasons they may have, like being victims of child abuse or being bullied. So I wonder if life experiences that can lead one to being misanthropic can spiral out of control and into something like identifying with the conspiracy theorist mindset.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair to them, companies and organizations usually will include certain subtle designs in their logos as part of the overall thrust of the idea. The FedEX logo arrow is a prime example, the core content of the logo is just the words, but the arrow helps to reinforce a theme of "fast" or "forward". But if you expose certain people to this concept they start expecting that all logos everywhere must have layers beyond the surface to be found.

That the three arrows are meant to emphasize the three slogans/things to do (reduce reuse recycle) but must have a further secret meaning or design behind it would be "logical" to them. And frankly the 6 point star is really easy to build out of a lot of things.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That or they think The Riddler is behind every conspiracy.

I have often wondered if there is a difference between black and white conspiracy theorists. Considering the government's behavior toward Black people in US history it's not a surprise if there was a higher percent of that population that believed them. I did read a paper once about the black community and conspiracy theory, specifically about the government creating aids to kill off black people. I wish I still had a copy of it and could remember the details more. It was from the mid-90s I think.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
On a related note, I don't think I've ever seen any conspiracy theorist type, even the more left-leaning ones, ever mention MLK's assassination. It seems like a pretty straightforward narrative to me, much more than, say, Kennedy's assassination, and from what I remember King's family and close acquaintances think the government killed him. Do conspiracy theorists just ignore anything halfway reasonable?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

KomradeX posted:

That or they think The Riddler is behind every conspiracy.

That's essentially it. Back when Denver Airport was the conspiracy du jour, I asked someone straight up "why would the evil illuminati alien reptoid overlords put all these symbols and hints of their plans everywhere?" and he said "Because they need to make us know what they did, they need to rub our faces in that we are powerless".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

made of bees posted:

On a related note, I don't think I've ever seen any conspiracy theorist type, even the more left-leaning ones, ever mention MLK's assassination. It seems like a pretty straightforward narrative to me, much more than, say, Kennedy's assassination, and from what I remember King's family and close acquaintances think the government killed him. Do conspiracy theorists just ignore anything halfway reasonable?

Nah, there are a ton of conspiracy theories around MLK's death. Stuff like that somebody claiming to be an advance man changed his hotel room to the second floor, or that James Earl Ray couldn't have rented the room with the plan to kill MLK because it isn't obvious that the place overlooks the hotel.

The waters were also muddied by the fact that Ray recanted his confession in prison and claimed he only did it on bad advice from his lawyer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, there are a ton of conspiracy theories around MLK's death. Stuff like that somebody claiming to be an advance man changed his hotel room to the second floor, or that James Earl Ray couldn't have rented the room with the plan to kill MLK because it isn't obvious that the place overlooks the hotel.

The waters were also muddied by the fact that Ray recanted his confession in prison and claimed he only did it on bad advice from his lawyer.

I actually had someone seriously argue that MLK was killed by a friend of MLK in order to turn him into a martyr and push the Civil Rights movement forward. Crazy on the face of it, of course.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

muscles like this? posted:

Hell, a jury trial held that MLK was killed as part of a conspiracy, involving a local resturant owner and possibly the Memphis police and federal government. The owner, Loyd Jowers, was unreliable as hell though, and his testimony formed the bulk of the evidence in the case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyd_Jowers

And the House of Representatives found that while James Earl Ray fired the fatal shot, there was probably a conspiracy involved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Select_Committee_on_Assassinations#Conclusions_regarding_the_King_assassination

So its not necessarily a conspiracy theory question whether or not MLK was killed by a conspiracy

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Yeah its entirely possible there were more people involved than just James Earl Ray, but we need more proof. James Earl Ray himself was a hardened criminal who had been arrested multiple times for armed robbery, as well as a fervent white supremacist, and he fully admitted to being involved but then made vague attempts to pin it on some unknown figure named "Raul". All the allegations of conspiracy have been fraught with inconsistencies and contradictions.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Emanuel Collective posted:

And the House of Representatives found that while James Earl Ray fired the fatal shot, there was probably a conspiracy involved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Select_Committee_on_Assassinations#Conclusions_regarding_the_King_assassination

Be cautious about using the House Select Committee on Assassinations, or at least their final conclusions. They were right on the verge of confirming the essential findings of the Warren Commission and then got swayed by bullshit audio evidence that was presented at the last minute.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

We've been able to wire up a plane with radio controls for 50 years now. Hell the controls we use for drones would have been available in prototype stages by then, just use those.
It's actually pretty difficult to guide a plane to a specific spot on the ground entirely by remote control. (NASA has tried a couple of times.) We can do it with drones because they have a lot of cameras and sensors all over them, and that sort of equipment installed on an airliner would be really obvious. We can have airliners land themselves because the airport has all kinds of radio guidance gear (beyond merely GPS) which would also be obvious if someone were installing it in a parking lot at the Pentagon.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

KomradeX posted:

I have often wondered if there is a difference between black and white conspiracy theorists.
Klan hood wearing white folks and Africa medallion wearing black folks converge in opinion on the most vital of subjects: Whatever happened, the Jews were behind it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Animal-Mother posted:

Klan hood wearing white folks and Africa medallion wearing black folks converge in opinion on the most vital of subjects: Whatever happened, the Jews were behind it.

That and both agree there should be a separation between races (well some of the latter anyway).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Seems like an odd question. Black and white conspiracy theorists are the same, in that they are conspiracy theorists. Recently I discovered a 9/11 Truth mural in my city's oddball pothead district, after doing a little research I found a video of the group that painted it and 90% of them were black.

I think what KomradeX is getting at is about conspiracy theories which specifically effect black commnities, such as "the CIA invented crack/AIDS". Which, while nutty, is at least a bit more plausible since the US government does have a track record of purposely making GBS threads on those communities.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Seems like an odd question. Black and white conspiracy theorists are the same, in that they are conspiracy theorists. Recently I discovered a 9/11 Truth mural in my city's oddball pothead district, after doing a little research I found a video of the group that painted it and 90% of them were black.

I think what KomradeX is getting at is about conspiracy theories which specifically effect black communities, such as "the CIA invented crack/AIDS". Which, while nutty, is at least a bit more plausible since the US government does have a track record of purposely making GBS threads on those communities.

I did mean in more of what conspiracies people in the black community might believe/support, and reasons why they've come to it, the aforementioned gov't making GBS threads on minority communities. Like the friend I mentioned earlier who has outed himself as a Truther is black, (of Haitian descent) is a college graduate with a Poli Sci degree and still believes that the illuminati is behind crap, that GMOs are evil, (I'll admit that I was one of these people as well cause I don't trust Monsanto but as grating as the GMO thread can be with generalizations it did put me from a maybe they're not bad to not opposing them. He's gone on about fluoride in the drinking water, even though another friend of ours whose a biochemist has told he's wrong and why he's wrong, still goes on about it. Now I could be off on this since I'm basing it off of personal anecdotes and so far the only other people I've met irl who were Truthers were a pair of douche College Libertarians and a super stoner (who were of course all white).

We end up seeing, "THE JEWS" get blamed for so many conspiracy theories becuase in the end a lot of them are rooted in anti-semitic screeds of the early 20th century. It's really the thing that gets me about conspiracy theorists and their theories is they're so boring. They repeat the same conspiracy with a list of new perpetrators each time something happens.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

That's hugely facile and insulting. Why would you liken a simple token of black identity to a terrorist group? There's no party line against the Jews that you have to recite before picking up your medallion. Maybe if you had mentioned some specific group like the Nation of Islam, but even then the comparison is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any possible rebuttals to the HAARP array / microwave beam bullshit being touted about Typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan? I've been trying to counter with how this comes up every single time a disaster happens like the Japan earthquake or the Indian Ocean tsunami

• Locked thread