Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thrakkorzog posted:

There's just a long setup with nothing funny actually happening, and there's no actual joke until the end, and even then the punch-line was just a Shining reference.

The joke is that he's getting worked up over a continental breakfast. Continental breakfasts are universally terrible even though hotels treat them like a huge selling point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just watched the first two episodes of the newest season of Eastbound and Down. Why have I not been keeping up!?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Notch got exceptionally lucky in taking someone else's idea and making it just about work. Beyond the bare bones almost everything that makes Minecraft worth playing has been made by the community, and Notch himself has proven unable to do anything even remotely as interesting or successful as a follow-up. Why anyone would think that he would be a good chat show guest is beyond me. He seems conversationally dull and gives the distinct impression of being on the spectrum.

Because Ferguson doesn't care about that nerd poo poo, he wanted a popular game creator on his show.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Gonz posted:

The Shining reference at the end made that entire K&P sketch.

Flawless.

poo poo, the first line is a Shining reference!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Just watched the first two episodes of the newest season of Eastbound and Down. Why have I not been keeping up!?

This season has been nearly perfect. I know a lot of people checked out when they supposedly ended the series last year but the show has been amazing.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CaptainHollywood posted:

That's a drat fine question as the thread is unanimous in agreeing that the show is as strong as ever in this final-last season, if not being the best season yet.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Aphrodite posted:

Because Ferguson doesn't care about that nerd poo poo, he wanted a popular game creator on his show.

Then he should have picked one of the ones with charisma.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Then he should have picked one of the ones with charisma.

Did any of them make Minecraft?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Odds are that his son is big into Minecraft, so having Notch on makes sense.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

The only TV show that accurately represents what being drunk is actually like is Drunk History.

Almost every show gets all that poo poo wrong, and it's so annoying - like earlier with the Doug Benson thing, I refuse to believe being high actually makes him act like that. He's just acting like stoned people are "supposed" to act, when the reality is that most people who smoke pot on a daily basis don't actually act different when they're stoned.

It's funny too, because the Drunk History thread is full of people complaining that the people aren't "drunk enough" for their linking.

bad day posted:

See, Tsunamis are something that happens in Asia, which is where anime is made.

In Japan CN has a block of western shows called "Carturricane"

No no, it's "Toonado."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay there is no loving way this episode of Bar Rescue (with the Sand Dollar) is real.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

^^^
That's the one that was a former blues bar, right? I don't remember much of it but what strikes you as fake?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't watch many late night talkshows anymore, but the creator of Minecraft was on Craig Ferguson last night and good lord is it a testament to the Ferguson's ability that he didn't just implode when confronted by computer nerd awkwardness compounded by Notch being ESL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIAZDg6yww

Boy, he tried really hard to keep that interview going. I can't believe he managed to stretch that out to 10 minutes.
I guess this interview answers this question, but does "the guy who made minecraft" really have enough star power to make it onto late night talk shows?

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 9, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

Boy, he tried really hard to keep that interview going. I can't believe he managed to stretch that out to 10 minutes.

Imagine how the pre-interview must have been. RIP that staff member.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

raditts posted:

I guess this interview answers this question, but does "the guy who made minecraft" really have enough star power to make it onto late night talk shows?

Him and his company make money hand over fist, enough so that there's big conventions about Minecraft. He's not big enough to be on something like Letterman but making it on Ferguison doesn't seem that strange.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

Okay there is no loving way this episode of Bar Rescue (with the Sand Dollar) is real.

Spoke too soon, this next episode is even more :psyduck:.

:smug: "I'ma go all in!" *WHIPCRACK*

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

piratepilates posted:

Him and his company make money hand over fist, enough so that there's big conventions about Minecraft. He's not big enough to be on something like Letterman but making it on Ferguison doesn't seem that strange.

Well sure he makes lots of money, but there are plenty of filthy rich people that are not interesting enough to rate a talk show interview. I sure as poo poo wouldn't want to see an interview with those Penny Arcade goobers.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DivisionPost posted:

Every episode of Bar Rescue seems fake as gently caress to me, or at least heavily edited to the point where it does. Still, it can be entertaining.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Every person I've ever known who has been a waiter, bartender, busboy, or manager has insisted that movies like Waiting are 100% representative of environments they've routinely worked in. They describe the food service industry as a drugged out circus of questionable ethics and hygiene inhabited by certifiable lunatics.

Then those same people tell me shows like Bar Rescue and Restaurant Impossible are fake because no place is that bad. I try to point out that they've described way worse things to me but they just can't see the connection.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The SO watches a lot of TLC shows, and I keep getting trapped watching this show Four Houses. I don't know why, I guess I kind of dig it, but only because I keep waiting for one that'll have a cool Man Cave or Sports Bar but it hasn't happened yet. But there are like a dozen on the DVR at any one time, so maybe eventually.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know a lot of you guys were worried about Fox only having one Seth MacFarlane animated show next season after American Dad leaves. So you don't have to worry anymore!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-greenlights-animated-comedy-series-from-seth-macfarlane-for-next-season/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Deadpool posted:

I know a lot of you guys were worried about Fox only having one Seth MacFarlane animated show next season after American Dad leaves. So you don't have to worry anymore!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-greenlights-animated-comedy-series-from-seth-macfarlane-for-next-season/

quote:

Set in a fictitious desert town near the U.S.-Mexico border, Bordertown centers on the intertwining daily lives of neighbors Bud Buckwald and Ernesto Gonzales. Bud, a married father of three, is a Border Patrol agent who feels threatened by the cultural changes that have transformed his neighborhood. Living next door is Ernesto, an industrious Mexican immigrant and father of four, who is proud to be making it in America. As Bud and Ernesto’s paths begin to cross, their families become bound by friendship, romance and conflict

Ha ha ha, that sure is a good Onion article.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Deadpool posted:

I can forgive both Fox and MacFarlane, since they're bringing Cosmos back (Happy Birthday today, Carl!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I can forgive both Fox and MacFarlane, since they're bringing Cosmos back (Happy Birthday today, Carl!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo

Bringing back Cosmos was enough to earn forgiveness for one episode of Family Guy. They need more penance.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

Every person I've ever known who has been a waiter, bartender, busboy, or manager has insisted that movies like Waiting are 100% representative of environments they've routinely worked in. They describe the food service industry as a drugged out circus of questionable ethics and hygiene inhabited by certifiable lunatics.

My family has worked in food service for three generations and although I haven't seen any of the shows you guys are talking about, I can confirm that there's no bottom to the food service barrel. Running a restaurant isn't about being good at business or good at cooking. Its about being dedicated enough to show up at four in the morning and work until ten at night for next to no profit. Its about being okay with perpetual debt, working in an industry that's as stable as a rowboat in a hurricane and facing periods of months or even years of stagnant or declining sales. In short, food service is about being crazy enough to stick it through, which is why it attracts the extremes, both good and bad.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

piratepilates posted:

Ha ha ha, that sure is a good Onion article.

Don't worry he's an "industrious Mexican", not one of those lazy ones.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Awwwww poo poo, Lance Reddick is going to be on next week's Eric Andre Show.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Oh my goodness gracious, it looks like all of Clone High is on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvhrKdiyMKc

(They got the episode numbers/titles for 8 and 9 mixed up...obviously, that one is "Raisin the Stakes: A Rock Opera in Three Acts" and not "A Room of One`s Clone: The Pie of the Storm."

I can't decide if I like the musical one better, or the one where one of the clones is horribly killed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdrTG5lLjQA

"You're a...G-G-G-G...DEAD GUY!!"

"Ooooh...YOU'RE A GENIE! For my first wish, I want my dead best friend back....Ponce@ You're back! Aww, I missed ya buddy!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this? posted:

That episode is gonna be a must see.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

muscles like this? posted:

This combination never would have crossed my mind, but I'm very happy that it's happening.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

This combination never would have crossed my mind, but I'm very happy that it's happening.

Lance Reddick is a funny dude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the final word on Chuck?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Season 2 > season 3 > season 5 > season 1 > season 4, so in other words, arguably the same as Buffy. Season 2 was the most amazing, presumably because the writers' strike afforded them time to really think the season through. Season 4 was problematic, but it had its highlights, and season 5 is worth watching.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anybody making a Raising Hope thread? New season starts on friday with two episodes a week until winter break.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

zoux posted:

What's the final word on Chuck?

It's good and a lot of fun to watch, but it shares the curse of many episodic shows. After a while, the new episodes start to feel like just more of the same.
That said, I'd still recommend it. The chemistry between the cast members was incredible, and I can't overstate how funny this show was. Captain Awesome telling Ellie he was attacked by a bear? Pure gold!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

DominoDancing posted:

It's good and a lot of fun to watch, but it shares the curse of many episodic shows. After a while, the new episodes start to feel like just more of the same.
That said, I'd still recommend it. The chemistry between the cast members was incredible, and I can't overstate how funny this show was. Captain Awesome telling Ellie he was attacked by a bear? Pure gold!

I didn't actually find it funny per se, but it was very fun, if that makes any sense. It balanced the lighthearted stuff with the serious stuff really well, and for the most part, the cast felt like they were people you'd really like to hang out with.

Season 4 is where that "more of the same" feeling really hits hardest, but all things considered, Chuck and the gang had considerable character development over the 5 seasons. Every half-season marked a point where they thought they would be cancelled, so as a result, every 10-13 episodes, they'd take three steps forward, followed by two steps back. Still, you could see their lives and personalities moving forward in concrete ways--you could name any situation in the series, and you'd probably be able to identify the season solely from Chuck's reaction to said situation.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

Anybody making a Raising Hope thread? New season starts on friday with two episodes a week until winter break.

I honestly forgot it had even been renewed. Are they burning off episodes or something what with premiering it this late?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I thought the first two seasons of Chuck were genuinely special, but then it started to go down hill and soon it was into this bizarre place where the writers knew they were still on the air because of the dedicated fans and started pandering to them to a ludicrous degree. Everything turned into bad fanservice and the central relationship that gave the show it's heart began, as I recall, constantly retreading old ground it should have been beyond.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hope and vaseline posted:

I honestly forgot it had even been renewed. Are they burning off episodes or something what with premiering it this late?

Friday, two episodes a week, November premiere. Definition of death sentence. Might as well add Rena Sofer to the cast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox's treatment of Raising Hope this year has been strange to say the least. They started moving it around and burning off episodes last season but then went ahead and renewed it anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watch the first two seasons of Chuck and pretend the rest never happened. The finale is actually pretty good, though.

• Locked thread