Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I would cause them out as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
I read it on the internet! As we all know, everything you read is true!:supaburn:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
It just baffles me that people could read something as ridiculous as "Chinese people eat baby soup for sex" and believe it for even one second.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Celery Face posted:

It just baffles me that people could read something as ridiculous as "Chinese people eat baby soup for sex" and believe it for even one second.

Didn't you know that the Chinese are godless communists? They'll do anything to get ahead over there.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
I was really tickled by the notion that a nuclear power that has world's second-largest economy and is the world's largest exporter of goods is a third-world country.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Really I'm glad the only one I'm friends with is blue. There are just so many other things going on there that I'm a little embarrassed.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

All on Black posted:

I was really tickled by the notion that a nuclear power that has world's second-largest economy and is the world's largest exporter of goods is a third-world country.
A lot of people misuse or just aren't aware of the actual context of those terms. Being a third world country doesn't mean "crappy and undeveloped," though enough people use it that way that I guess it's maybe taking on that meaning. In their original senses, the first world were the countries aligned with the United States and NATO in the Cold War, the second world were the countries aligned with the USSR, and the third world were the unaligned, or those with shifting allegiances.

In the present day, those divisions don't really make a lot of sense anymore. But if you really wanted to use them, China would be, or would have been, part of the second world.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Dr_Amazing posted:

You used to get a little notice when someone commented on one of your videos or responded to one of your comments but they took that out too. At this point I'm not sure why they don't just remove commenting completely.

They should permanently remove commenting. Same with news sites. Let the human trash feel the full effects of their garbage -- nobody cares what they say, therefore they cannot post it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Dandy Shrew posted:

This poo poo. Always this poo poo. My sister posted this, and to her credit, she recanted when I reminded her that we were both rebellious as teenagers despite 'tough love', and that there's a whole lot more to psychology and early childhood development than "hit 'em 'til they act right'", but she left it up because our exchange was kind of fun. Whatever. Then someone we both know chimed in with "child psychologists don't know crap. They are hit and missing it just like everyone else. I just really hate the government or "experts" telling me what the appropriate way to raise my child is. I believe in spare the rod, spoil the child scenario myself."

I wanted to be like "yeah but your son was addicted to cocaine when he was 15 and you let your 13 year old daughter date a 19 year old" but I try to only start poo poo on my own posts, so.. I guess I'm the idiot on facebook.

Yes. It is completely acceptable to beat your child until they are dead for screaming, "gently caress you, MOM!" :colbert:

Isn't that what that image is actually saying?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Bored posted:

Yes. It is completely acceptable to beat your child until they are dead for screaming, "gently caress you, MOM!" :colbert:

If you take it literally. It's rather clearly not intended that way, though.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Bored posted:

Haha, yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too. Sorry, no, I don't agree that I should kill my children...

So I had this fun exchange unfold:

"wow... you could all use some anger management therapy."

The original link: http://blogs.terrapinn.com/vaccinenation/2013/08/27/unbelievable-impact-vaccines-image/

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

It's always so disheartening when someone conflates "I have a refutation of your claims, or claims that are in opposition to yours that have greater merit" with "you, personally, along with your opinions, are bad, and I dislike you, for no real identifiable reason, that is why I disagree with you."

I guess it's expecting too much but gently caress stop taking everything so PERSONALLY

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Strudel Man posted:

A lot of people misuse or just aren't aware of the actual context of those terms. Being a third world country doesn't mean "crappy and undeveloped," though enough people use it that way that I guess it's maybe taking on that meaning. In their original senses, the first world were the countries aligned with the United States and NATO in the Cold War, the second world were the countries aligned with the USSR, and the third world were the unaligned, or those with shifting allegiances.

In the present day, those divisions don't really make a lot of sense anymore. But if you really wanted to use them, China would be, or would have been, part of the second world.

I'm reasonably certain this person's understanding of a third world country is "place without many white people".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

All on Black posted:

I'm reasonably certain this person's understanding of a third world country is "place without many white people".
Mm. I doubt it, really. Probably something more along the lines of simply "not the traditional West or Japan." Which obviously has a lot of overlap with what you suggest, but I feel like immediately assuming racial motives is a little inappropriate.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Mm. I doubt it, really. Probably something more along the lines of simply "not the traditional West or Japan." Which obviously has a lot of overlap with what you suggest, but I feel like immediately assuming racial motives is a little inappropriate.

I wasn't implying any racism, just speaking from experience with people who don't understand the term. For those people, quite often the third world = almost everywhere except Europe and North America.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

All on Black posted:

I wasn't implying any racism, just speaking from experience with people who don't understand the term. For those people, quite often the third world = almost everywhere except Europe and North America.
Ah. Yeah, I more or less agree. I just think that this is how they think about it, based on the location, not based on the presence or absence of white people.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

All on Black posted:

In fairness, China is very much a developing country still trying to get hundreds of millions of people out of poverty (or at least, it would be under different leadership) but those terms get badly misused anyway, as Strudel Man said above me.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Has anyone ever noticed how people who use "That's just my opinion" as the ultimate, unbeatable, argument ender are also the same sort of people who will dismiss your argument by claiming it to be "just your opinion"?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Celery Face posted:

To be kind of fair, this is only a little more ridiculous than what traditional Chinese medicine actually does include (among other things, fossils and certain body parts from what seems like pretty much every endangered animal).

It's still obviously bullshit, but I can at least see how someone might believe it.

U.T. Raptor has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Nov 10, 2013

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I think that's a pretty big leap from eating endangered animals to eating human children.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

The image was posted by someone on my list, and the comments against it made me smile

Then that last one :psyduck:

Remember, you don't need to be a bigot to be an idiot on facebook.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Experto Crede posted:

The image was posted by someone on my list, and the comments against it made me smile

Then that last one :psyduck:

Remember, you don't need to be a bigot to be an idiot on facebook.

The Queen actually is descended from Mohammed though.

Edit:to be fair though probably so are you and I, it's just the line of decent is clearer for the Queen.

Shorter Than Some has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Nov 10, 2013

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Shorter Than Some posted:

The Queen actually is descended from Mohammed though.

Edit:to be fair though probably so are you and I, it's just the line of decent is clearer for the Queen.

:doh: should have done some research, it just sounded like a bizarre thing to state (Though the Iberian Moorish aspect makes sense).

So clearly it is me who is the idiot on facebook :smith:

skeletons!
Mar 28, 2013
The Queen is a SECRET MUSLIM GONNA INSTALL SHARIA LAW :supaburn:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Yay, it's the time around Remembrance Day :neckbeard: I've not had anything this year sadly, but do share any racist and untrue stories from the UK about muslims making GBS threads on poppy fields and whatnot.
I wish Openbook.org was still around.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Just check out #whitepoppy on twitter, there's some gems of 'ill gently caress up anyone who wears a white poppy'. I am a little sensitive to it today because I was spat on by a soldier for wearing a non-red poppy. What joy. Hopefully I can track down his no doubt triumphant Facebook post.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I only had one person mention the whole white poppy thing and yes, it was in a "gently caress you for wearing a white poppy, you freedom hater" style post. He's otherwise fine, even if he is an angry old guy!

Fortunately (or unfortunately for this thread) I have unfriended the raving racist lunatics that used to populate my news feed so today has been fairly sane, even if someone is boring enough to post a play by play picture fest from the Grand Slam of Darts!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
All quiet here so far; one guy changed his profile picture to a field of poppy, and I've seen one or two things about the anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald, nothing thread-worthy so far.

One guy did post a picture of a piece of mango next to a pot of mango yogurt with "WTF is this gross thing in my yogurt" but apparently it's a comment on the paucity of actual fruits in yogurt or something.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I had never heard of the whole "white poppy" thing before one of my FB friends made a post to the effect of "don't bother talking to me if you're wearing one." I briefly looked up the symbolism behind it and the only negative thing I could find in ten seconds of research was that it led to a bunch of folks being fired during the mid-1900s. I still don't get it.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

NotAnArtist posted:

I had never heard of the whole "white poppy" thing before one of my FB friends made a post to the effect of "don't bother talking to me if you're wearing one." I briefly looked up the symbolism behind it and the only negative thing I could find in ten seconds of research was that it led to a bunch of folks being fired during the mid-1900s. I still don't get it.

In the UK at least, white poppies have always been seen as somewhat non-conformist, but it's been since the mid-eighties when Margaret Thatcher denounced them in parliament, and they were then attacked in the right wing media as being disrespectful, etc. that it took on a new level.

Most people under the age of thirty don't care, but you get the old angry sorts, usually the same who will say "hanging's too good for 'em" in an unironic capacity.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

NotAnArtist posted:

People on my feed seem to think wearing a white poppy is the equivalent of pissing on the tomb of the unknown soldier while pushing a veteran down the stairs. I got chewed out just for saying that people are allowed to have different views on war and history.

It's odd because most of them are pretty level headed about most topics.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Wikipedia suggests that red-poppy folks dislike the white poppy because they feel that somehow hoping for an end to all wars demeans veterans or something. I don't get it either.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The white poppy was started more or less by the relations of veterans anyway - and is run by a tiny, harmless pacifist charity in London.

A lot of Canadians seem to really really hate it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Aerdan posted:

Wikipedia suggests that red-poppy folks dislike the white poppy because they feel that somehow hoping for an end to all wars demeans veterans or something. I don't get it either.

Nobody wishes for an end to war more than veterans. The most die-hard crazy war hawks are never veterans, in my experience.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've never heard of them until recently but they seem kinda attention whorey. "Oh you're wearing a normal red poppy? I'm actually against war so I only wear the WHITE poppy."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why do people believe this stuff? Like Sony would just go "oh darn, these boxes have been opened, guess we'll just give them away for some reason" instead of "oh darn, these boxes have been opened, guess we'll just reseal/repackage them and sell them at full retail anyway."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why do people believe this stuff? Like Sony would just go "oh darn, these boxes have been opened, guess we'll just give them away for some reason" instead of "oh darn, these boxes have been opened, guess we'll just reseal/repackage them and sell them at full retail anyway."
It's a win-win situation. Either you get a PS4, or you get to bitch about not getting one.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

The problem that a lot of people in Canada have with the white poppies right now, and the reason why they're in the news here, is that they're being used by the Rideau Institute and University of Ottawa activists as a response to the "celebration of war" represented by the red poppy. Which is complete garbage, and anyone with half a brain knows that Remembrance Day represents the exact opposite. I don't think white poppies are offensive in themselves, but I do think the message they're being used to convey in some circles is.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
There needs to be a third, like, purple poppy for people who support veterans and also support war. Then the white poppies can be for people who support veterans but oppose war and red poppies for people who support veterans and are merely ambivalent about war. Then everybody can know your exact opinions on war which is obviously the most important reason behind the poppy fundraiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Poppies are the opiate of the masses. You argue over the color and ignore the real problem: you just murdered/castrated a bunch of defenseless plants to celebrate the sacrifices of human soldiers. Poppies never had a war, who's the real poppies?

• Locked thread