Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
System works but I think the "to you" is cut off.

Seriously though I think it's on pokeymans list already, I'm sure I've seen it requested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jojoinnit posted:

I've only seen it happen with this guy but it happens for all his posts:

(Arrow link to user options being spaced down obv)

Weird! I'll take a look.

tehloki posted:

Is there any way to add a notification like the big purple horrible monster bar in case you're on probation when you open the app instead of it just saying "this thread is closed" when you try and post

It's on the list!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tehloki posted:

Is there any way to add a notification like the big purple horrible monster bar in case you're on probation when you open the app instead of it just saying "this thread is closed" when you try and post

How about making that top bar on ios (you know, battery etc) the probation colour and having :nyd: instead of the post button. or not who cares

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

I've only seen it happen with this guy but it happens for all his posts:

(Arrow link to user options being spaced down obv)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564303

Because I get really giddy when that thread has new posts.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Maybe I'm going crazy, but on my new iPad Air, it seems like swiping to the right to pull out the left-side drawer has a really high fail rate. Sometimes it works, a lot of the time it doesn't. I almost never had it fail on my previous 3rd gen iPad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Is there a way to turn off saving draft posts?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

Is there a way to turn off saving draft posts?

No, but you can long-tap Cancel to find a shortcut (?) for Select All then Delete. There's also probably a bug with cancelling a draft when editing a post, so watch out for that.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Just a small thing, but can there be some sorta divide between someone's post and their sig?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

echinopsis posted:

How about making that top bar on ios (you know, battery etc) the probation colour and having :nyd: instead of the post button. or not who cares

Just changing the top bar in the app would be better. The blue one? Make it purple.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I completely disagree. What's wrong with you?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I have enough blue in my av already, unlike you :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:qq:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

el burbo posted:

Just a small thing, but can there be some sorta divide between someone's post and their sig?

Can you link an example?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Can you link an example?

Like there is no separation between the body of a post and the sig, so sometimes it's hard to tell when an image is part of the post or just someone's sig.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
Is there any way to get access to the beta app?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

SaucyLoggins posted:

No, it's all mine! <:mad:>

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

quote:

pokeyman posted:

Signatures might be the one feature nobody has requested in Awful.

Consider that request made.

Bringing this back up for GBS

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SaucyLoggins posted:

If you're current with your iOS Developer membership, or know someone who is, build and run the code. Otherwise we're all set with testers for now thanks!

Just a couple more big things and lots of little things until everyone gets it. Consider it an early Christmas present*.

* Year intentionally not mentioned.

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Hi,

V.1.11.9

When going to menu and in horizontal view it gets like this:

Edit: Also, the app is great, you guys are amazing!

Serious Sam fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 7, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Hahaha that looks awesome. I'll fix it up.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
I'm using version 1.11.9 on an iPhone 4 with iOS 6. A few days ago emotes started displaying as links instead of actual images. Some images will load in the post if I click the link but some do not.

Is anyone else having this issue? I checked my forums settings through a computer browser and everything there seems fine.

Edit: I also can't see avatars on posts or profile pages.

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 9, 2013

HDC
Mar 11, 2006
Same version on a 6.1.4 iPhone 5, everything seems to be fine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

violetdragon posted:

I'm using version 1.11.9 on an iPhone 4 with iOS 6. A few days ago emotes started displaying as links instead of actual images. Some images will load in the post if I click the link but some do not.

Is anyone else having this issue? I checked my forums settings through a computer browser and everything there seems fine.

Edit: I also can't see avatars on posts or profile pages.

Do you have the "Show Images" setting turned off?

If you log out of the app then back in, do you still have the problem?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Would there ever be an option to see the smilies/emoticons list/page? Thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Would there ever be an option to see the smilies/emoticons list/page? Thanks!

Totally. It's been on the list for ages, actually a bunch of code got written for it, and I just haven't gotten around to making it happen.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Is adding a button to clear the cache also on the list? Cause holy hell even a few days after logging in/out I'm back up to ~500mb just for awful.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

pokeyman posted:

Do you have the "Show Images" setting turned off?

If you log out of the app then back in, do you still have the problem?

I've had show images off in the user CP settings for ages and never had an issue with emotes showing as links in the Awful app before. That started a few days ago. Just to check, I turned images back on in the user CP, which fixed the emote problem, but avatars still aren't showing up.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tehloki posted:

Is adding a button to clear the cache also on the list? Cause holy hell even a few days after logging in/out I'm back up to ~500mb just for awful.

I'd love this

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tehloki posted:

Not to be a dick but is this causing problems? Or is it just the alarming number on the "Usage" screen in Settings?

It's a frequent enough request that I'm looking into it :) but I'm curious if there are bugs I need to address.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
If by causing problems you mean making me delete songs and podcasts from my 16gb iPhone cause awful keeps filling it up, yes

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
FWIW I've been running the current version since release and Awful shows 72MB of space used. I'm assuming iOS does its own maintenance to keep things reasonable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The OS is supposed to delete cached stuff on its own if it actually runs out of space.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah but the space is still not available for putting your own media on.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

withak posted:

The OS is supposed to delete cached stuff on its own if it actually runs out of space.

You can trigger this by just filming a video until it stops you because of space. But in my experience I've only ever got twitter to clear that way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Anyone who's got Awful using 100+MB: have you gone to send a post with images to upload and had Awful crash?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Anyone who's got Awful using 100+MB: have you gone to send a post with images to upload and had Awful crash?

Are you telling me my failed image uploads are why Awful is pushing 450mb? Does it upload the image to Awful's cache before uploading it, and failing to upload doesn't clear it out?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

pokeyman posted:

Yes and yes

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Found it!

death .cab for qt posted:

Are you telling me my failed image uploads are why Awful is pushing 450mb? Does it upload the image to Awful's cache before uploading it, and failing to upload doesn't clear it out?

Almost. If you cancel the new post sheet then Awful saves the images to its cache. This is done to bring your post back intact if you tap the 'Compose' button (so you can go back and forth between your post and the thread, adding quotes and such). The problem is that Awful only clears the image cache if it successfully sends the post. If you leave the thread, or Awful crashes, the images stick around.

If you're wondering whether this is the problem, try logging out and back in. If the usage goes down a little bit or not at all, this is the problem. That cache isn't cleared when logging out.

On the plus side, images are saved to the folder that iOS is supposed to clean out when you get low on space. So you could intentionally run out of space, or you could delete and reinstall Awful, and that cache should be cleared.

(Awful 2 doesn't have this problem, but its solution wouldn't work on iOS 5 so I can't port it back to Awful 1.)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm certain this must have been requested before, but is a search function planned at all? I'm a search junkie and need my fix at all times.

And yay for the smilies, that's great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Snowy posted:

I'm certain this must have been requested before, but is a search function planned at all? I'm a search junkie and need my fix at all times.

And yay for the smilies, that's great too.

+1

• Locked thread