Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jo3sh posted:

I don't actually care if I win or not. I'm in it to make beer I like drinking and to participate in the fun. Maybe someone will be turned on by it; if not, I guess I'll be forced to drink it myself.

Or you could make the dickale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
What's that fruit that smells like farts? I don't think people have used that in a beer. Maybe anyway.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Durian? I'm not sure what it smells like other than bad.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Galler posted:

Introduce a lacto culture by slathering limburger crumbles in yogurt.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Galler posted:

Yeah that's it. Make a beer with that!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

The-Bean posted:

Apple season over here in the UK!

I've started to brew my own cider (or as it's usually refered to in 'murica: Hard cider).

Currently working on a post to show the process I've been through if anyone is interested - although as its my first attempt at it, I've probably screwed up somewhere but theres always next year!

More to follow!

Please do share. I put my new apple grinder to the test last night and it performed poorly. Chunks of apple kept getting wedged in between the drum and grinder box. I don't think I had enough angle on the screws for the heads to bite properly. 2 hours later I only managed to press a gallon of cider. I gave in this morning and ordered a real fruit crusher off Amazon. Hopefully it doesn't suck because I've got nearly 1000 pounds of apples in my garage waiting to be pressed, and some proper cider apples being delivered this weekend.

In other news I cracked open my first proper lager, an Oktoberfest, a few days ago. Still a little undercarbonated but it came out very clear and clean. Nice to drink but I don't think it was worth the extra effort of lagering.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Rabbit turd tincture?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Possibly got an unintentional infection on my smoked blonde. Not entirely sure. I'll leave it alone for a bit and see what the poo poo on top starts looking like. :science:

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Finally scored a vial of ECY BugCounty, so freaking giddy! No idea what I want to do with it yet... whatever I make, it's gonna be funky and sour as holy hell.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
Dilemma: pitched 2 packets of US-05 into a pale ale on Sunday, got a very vigorous fermentation. Just checked, and it's reached what Brewtoad predicts should be its FG- it started at 1.057 (overshot our target 1.054), and it's at 1.014

When I just dry hopped, I still saw a large krausen, and it's down to bubbling around once every 10 seconds. We really wanted to use this yeast cake for this Old Chub clone tomorrow, but do you guys think it will be safe to bottle this tomorrow?

Or should we just rack to secondary in the carnboy that I forgot we had until this very moment :facepalm:

oh well,at least we bought the hops in bulk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

firebad57 posted:

Dilemma: pitched 2 packets of US-05 into a pale ale on Sunday, got a very vigorous fermentation. Just checked, and it's reached what Brewtoad predicts should be its FG- it started at 1.057 (overshot our target 1.054), and it's at 1.014

When I just dry hopped, I still saw a large krausen, and it's down to bubbling around once every 10 seconds. We really wanted to use this yeast cake for this Old Chub clone tomorrow, but do you guys think it will be safe to bottle this tomorrow?

Or should we just rack to secondary in the carnboy that I forgot we had until this very moment :facepalm:

oh well,at least we bought the hops in bulk.

No. Its not ready if its still fermenting or just finished. I wouldn't consider bottling earlier than 2 weeks; I keg at 9 or 10 days, but nothing happens if fermentation keeps going.

The old fashioned method is 3 days at stable FG before bottling.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Also don't dryhop until fermentation ends because yeast in suspension (that plans on dropping out/flocculating) will drag hop flavor down with it, and the CO2 it's pushing out will take hop aroma with it.

Plus if you want a clean yeastcake for another beer it's a cleaner process to move your original beer to secondary first before dryhopping.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Jacobey000 posted:

So my efficiency is getting so painfully low (low 50s last time), I've started fly sparging recently and think the speed I'm sparging at must be too high. Something I've noticed is my grain bed kind of slumps to the middle while the edges move away (like a cake in a pan). Is this due to possibly channeling b/c I'm draining too fast?

Also, I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong. I've been sort of "step mashing" by adding in the "mash out" amount listed on Beersmith as a second, short, mash step for 10min, but I'm pretty sure it's all one "rinse the grains with ~5 gallons." IE:

Someone tell me I'm just doing it wrong, otherwise I'm going back to batch sparging.

Quoting my previous post b/c this thread moves too fast - help.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Jacobey000 posted:

How long does your sparge take? Anything under a half hour might be too fast.

Are you mostly draining your grain bed before you start sparging? You should drain until it more or less looks "dry" on top - that way you're kind of rinsing through completely, instead of just "watering" down the initial sugary wort. Matching up your outflow with your input is kind of tricky too.

Also, the bulk of the fermentable sugars are produced during your mash, as I'm sure you know. Pay attention to your mash temps.

If you sparge above 172 degrees, you'll know you're NOT getting all of the fermentable sugar out of your grain bill because you'll get "starch" haze in your finished product.

When in doubt, you can always extend your sparge (which gives enzymes more time to convert starch to sugar) AND/OR you can sparge with more water and boil it down.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jacobey000 posted:

Its telling you to add the mashout water all at once to raise the temp of the grainbed up enough to stop any further conversion and lock in the sugar profile. Were you to simply add all of the water including the sparge water, its just no-sparge brewing. If you add more water to your mash, you should stir it up and then let it settle to get as much sugar in solution as possible (in my opinion).

I'm not sure why or how you're getting such low efficiency; I got 82% on a recent batch sparge with a single LHBS crush. My procedure is using Beersmith's calculations for strike water, then adding the grains. I do a LOT of stirring at the beginning to get the grains throughly mixed and to break up doughballs. I do not really lose much temperature doing this for whatever reason, but it takes a good 10-15 minutes for me to mash-in. I usually go with 60-90 minute sacc rests these days and it takes at least an hour to complete the sparge, if not more, even on a batch sparge. I don't mash out either. I'd pretty much need to either see or hear your entire procedure to know what's wrong. It could be anything from a crummy crush (which you could fix by double crushing at the brew store) to dough-balls to not stirring enough in the mash-in or sparge.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Angry Grimace posted:

I do a LOT of stirring at the beginning to get the grains throughly mixed and to break up doughballs.

This! I use a keggle and I sometimes will have monster grain bills for a 10 gallon barleywine or something, but even with a normal recipe, you have to stir a ton. I have a nice extra-long maple spoon I use.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Bottling my sour today and, like every time I bottle something, I'm stressing out about how much priming sugar to use. Every priming sugar calculator is telling me that in order to get 3 volumes of CO2 in 4.5 gallons of beer at 65 degrees, I need 5oz of priming sugar. Does this sound right? The last time I used 5oz in 4.5 gallons of beer was in my first batch and every single bottle was a gusher after a couple weeks.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Angry Grimace posted:

s at least an hour to complete the sparge, if not more, even on a batch sparge.

This sounds like where I may be going wrong (sparging too fast). Thanks.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

internet celebrity posted:

Bottling my sour today and, like every time I bottle something, I'm stressing out about how much priming sugar to use. Every priming sugar calculator is telling me that in order to get 3 volumes of CO2 in 4.5 gallons of beer at 65 degrees, I need 5oz of priming sugar. Does this sound right? The last time I used 5oz in 4.5 gallons of beer was in my first batch and every single bottle was a gusher after a couple weeks.

Gushers occur primarily because of some kind of "infection" or because your beer isn't finished its primary fermentation - but given that you're likely working with a fickle yeast like brett, gushers can happen easily even if you do everything right.

How long has this one been fermenting?

Sour ales typically take longer to "finish" fermenting - so you have a couple of options. You can wait another few months before bottling, and then use a normal amount of bottling sugar, or you can bottle now, and skip the bottling sugar (assuming you haven't already let it sit a bit longer than a normal batch).

edit: the cause of gushers in an otherwise normal batch is almost always an infection. Clean, sanitize and rinse those bottles, racking canes, caps, etc.

If you STILL get gushers, then you know you have an infection source somewhere post boil (most likely). It could be a scratched carboy or plastic primary that's housing something nasty. It could be your racking canes, or even a valve on one of your tuns.

:tinfoil: trust no one

tiananman fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 9, 2013

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

internet celebrity posted:

I've used as much as 4.6 oz of priming sugar and had no bad results. Since the beer has aged for so long, a lot of CO2 will have come out of suspension, so some extra sugar will kick it up a few points that its lost.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

wattershed posted:

One thing I'd correct in your assumptions is needing to combine high gravity batches in the fermenter; if you have one of those 5-gallon gatorade-style water coolers, you can do a normal BIAB mash, but prior to the boil, dump the wort into the cooler, and repeat the whole process a second time. Prior to boiling the second batch, add the wort in the cooler back into the pot, and boil from there. I suggest a gatorade-style cooler because it's insulated, and while there's no actual need to keep the temp of the wort of the first batch at a specific temperature while it sits around, it'll just take much less time to get the whole thing up to boiling once you pitch it back in with batch 2.

I had been wanting to try to get back into all grain brewing, but didn't want to buy any more equipment for a while, and you just reminded me that I have two of those coolers laying around doing nothing :doh:

Looks like I'm buying a shitload of grains after I clear out some of these fermenters! Or maybe I can get my 15 gallon fermenter into a usable state, and make a huge batch of something...

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

tiananman posted:

Gushers occur primarily because of some kind of "infection" or because your beer isn't finished its primary fermentation - but given that you're likely working with a fickle yeast like brett, gushers can happen easily even if you do everything right.

How long has this one been fermenting?

Sour ales typically take longer to "finish" fermenting - so you have a couple of options. You can wait another few months before bottling, and then use a normal amount of bottling sugar, or you can bottle now, and skip the bottling sugar (assuming you haven't already let it sit a bit longer than a normal batch).

edit: the cause of gushers in an otherwise normal batch is almost always an infection. Clean, sanitize and rinse those bottles, racking canes, caps, etc.

If you STILL get gushers, then you know you have an infection source somewhere post boil (most likely). It could be a scratched carboy or plastic primary that's housing something nasty. It could be your racking canes, or even a valve on one of your tuns.

:tinfoil: trust no one

Actually I'd say a lot of people use way too much priming sugar and that causes gushers. The standard most kits give is to use 5 oz per 5 gallons which is too much for pretty much any beer, and then a lot of people end up with less than 5 gallons of beer as well which makes things worse. If you get gushers because of an infection you'll almost always be able to smell/taste it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I think it takes a developed palate to understand the difference between too much carbonic acid and an infection, especially without training. Try to eliminate variables by using a good priming calculator, Northern Brewers has worked decently for me, and sanitizing anything that touches the wort/beer after boil. If you're getting gushers following sanitizing procedures and while priming on a conservative side, then there is likely a problem with your equipment.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I find the solution for figuring out when a beer is done is to shove it in primary, put it somewhere dark, and forget about it for a month or so until you bring up the next batch of beer and remember you have to bottle everything if you want it ready in two weeks for Thanksgiving.

That reminds me, I need to brew that Tripel.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

:siren: Homebrew Secret Santa signup! :siren:

General rules: Know what's legal to do and what's not legal to do, have fun! Signups will close on thanksgiving and i'll email people their santees a day or two later.

3rd year in a row, yay!

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How do I ensure sanitization with fresh juice that I'm gonna squeeze for a wine though? I don't wanna boil the stuff, though I suppose if I kept it at 135*F for a couple hours that could work...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Paladine_PSoT posted:

General rules: Know what's legal to do and what's not legal to do, have fun! Signups will close on thanksgiving and i'll email people their santees a day or two later.

3rd year in a row, yay!

Is there a resource for figuring out if it's legal or not to ship beer?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a resource for figuring out if it's legal or not to ship beer?

It's illegal to ship via USPS, it's not technically illegal, however it does go against their policy to ship via UPS or FedEx. Definitely don't tell them you're shipping beer. I usually say things like "camping supplies". "live yeast samples" is the go to but it's pretty obvious. YMMV, IANAL, et. cetera.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Paladine_PSoT posted:

3rd year in a row, yay!

Any other Ausgoons going to sign up for this? What do people normally send? Couple of bottles of homebrew?

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
It was supposed to be really warm for the next few days so I started a sour mash berliner weisse on Friday night. I did a pretty similar grain bill to the one in this recipe, but I mashed and sparged to my boil kettle and then threw in 200g of unmilled pale malt once the wort had cooled to about 40degC.

Right now it smells and tastes like the juice from the bottom of a hot bag of garbage, but it's getting reasonably tart. I think I'll probably give it a full hour boil tomorrow afternoon to try and drive off some of the nasty flavours a bit more. Pretty excited to see if I end up with something that's actually drinkable at the end of this.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

3rd year in a row, yay!

I got a super quick question: I'm based in UK so I can legally send and receive beer however in the past with friends I've had my beer stopped at customs (sent to US) and returned. Got stung three times by that, so could I just click no to ship beer or just "can send beer if in EU"? Just want to be 100% sure before signing up. I guess I could try and send something thats hard to get outside of Britain/EU or something brew ingredient wise like Gotland birch smoke malt along with a couple other things? :)

I'm an idiot! :negative:

quote:

Hello Everyone! Welcome to the third installment of the SA Homebrew Secret Santa! As always, by signing up for this you attest that you are of legal age in your area to receive beer from internet strangers. Please consider all applicable laws for delivery of beer.

Due to international regulations, customs, and all sorts of other clusterfuckiness, we're only matching people up within the same country. If one guy from frogoutistan signs up, we won't be able to match you with someone.

You do not need to send finished beer, though that's always fun. Ingredients or equipment are also completely valid. I'll be using the last two questions on this form to match people up appropriately.

I'll just put yes to send & receive beer then! :D

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 10, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Anyone have experience doing a solera? I plan on doing a sour solera and I have a few questions:

- Should I leave the beer on the yeast cake for the entirety of the aging? Leaving beer on a yeast cake for 7+ years seems like a bad idea.
- I plan on adding peaches to these, brewing one a year with each peach harvest from my tree. How long should these sit on the peaches?

That's about it really. I'm mostly concerned with how it works in regards to leaving the beer on the yeast/fruit.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

3rd year in a row, yay!

Stoked this is happening again, I was only able to send ingredients last year but sent some hilarious stuff. I got a bunch of fullroundactions's beer in return and they were super fun to try, he also wrote up an awesome description of each.

Midorka posted:

Anyone have experience doing a solera? I plan on doing a sour solera and I have a few questions:

- Should I leave the beer on the yeast cake for the entirety of the aging? Leaving beer on a yeast cake for 7+ years seems like a bad idea.
- I plan on adding peaches to these, brewing one a year with each peach harvest from my tree. How long should these sit on the peaches?

That's about it really. I'm mostly concerned with how it works in regards to leaving the beer on the yeast/fruit.

It's funny you are also considering this, it's seriously so cool. Jacobey000 and I were talking about this last night and I figured that after 4 or 5 years of doing regular pulls: the trub and yeast cake at the bottom from the build up of additional wort being added would eventually be too much to continue using. Think about how big that cake will be after you've dumped 10-15 gallons of new wort in there every 6 months. I think you'll definitely be able to taste the progress of each batch as you go, and you'll know when it's time to replace and dump the cake and just refill again. You don't have to lose the bugs, just dump the cake. The barrel will still be super inoculated after that long.

About the peaches, if it were me I would do a pull on the barrel and rack on top of the peaches in a different vessel. Definitely don't add that to the barrel, you want what's in the barrel to be a crazy base for other beer experiements.

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 10, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Paladine_PSoT posted:

3rd year in a row, yay!

Woop! I've got some really fun stuff to send out this year.

If you don't get me again B4tBG feel free to still send me some saison d Noel. :getin:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

How do I ensure sanitization with fresh juice that I'm gonna squeeze for a wine though? I don't wanna boil the stuff, though I suppose if I kept it at 135*F for a couple hours that could work...

Winemakers use sulfites. MoreWine has some detailed guides on winemaking and sulfiting that may help.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Midorka posted:

You're aging one for for 7years? I'd say do it how they do lambics 1 year on yeast cake then transfer to secondary, transfer on to of peaches for 4weeks prior to bottling after 7 years I think you'd need to add some fresh yeast when you transfer ontop of the peaches/if you're going to bottle. (In Radical brewing they say peaches aren't gonna be great so it's worth adding some apricots if you're going to use peaches too).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fluo posted:

You're aging one for for 7years? I'd say do it how they do lambics 1 year on yeast cake then transfer to secondary, transfer on to of peaches for 4weeks prior to bottling after 7 years I think you'd need to add some fresh yeast when you transfer ontop of the peaches/if you're going to bottle. (In Radical brewing they say peaches aren't gonna be great so it's worth adding some apricots if you're going to use peaches too).
Solera is where you continuously top off a soured vessel after what you take off for blending, so you can keep going till the stuff goes off but its not like literally aging for 7 years.

Lambics are aged for the entirety on the yeast cake cause all the bugs can feed off the dead bugs circle of life style so its probably not a taste problem as much as running out of space, but as hellfaucet and Fluo recommends you want to referment with fruit in a secondary. You leave it for as long as it needs it. Its done when its done. Wild Brews mentions commercial lambics generally do it about 6-9 months to fully ferment everything the fruit brings to the party but you honestly just need to taste sour stuff to know if its done or not.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

zedprime posted:

Solera is where you continuously top off a soured vessel after what you take off for blending, so you can keep going till the stuff goes off but its not like literally aging for 7 years.

Lambics are aged for the entirety on the yeast cake cause all the bugs can feed off the dead bugs circle of life style so its probably not a taste problem as much as running out of space, but as hellfaucet and Fluo recommends you want to referment with fruit in a secondary. You leave it for as long as it needs it. Its done when its done. Wild Brews mentions commercial lambics generally do it about 6-9 months to fully ferment everything the fruit brings to the party but you honestly just need to taste sour stuff to know if its done or not.

:negative: I was going by radical brewing lambic, still reading Wildbrews. :( I'm up to production methods (p117) in Wild Brews at the moment, really need to finish it but keep getting sidetracked but I told myself I wouldn't brew a sour beer untill I finished it. :smith: (Going to target myself to finish it by wednesday now, as it seems I don't know poo poo lmao).

Yeah what zedprime said!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 10, 2013

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
I made an IPA a couple weeks ago and tasted it for the first time last night. It had a really strange taste - it started off very bitter but then became almost sweet. It's really interesting and I quite like it, but I'm just trying to figure out where the sweetness is coming from. It didn't finish with a high gravity and the flavor isn't malty, so I'm suspecting it's the honey I added. I used about 2 lbs (~2.5 gallon batch), and added it late in the boil - would that be enough to cause this? For bittering hops, I used just under 2 oz Chinook, so it should be plenty bitter. Again, I really like the transition from in your face bitter to smooth and sweet; I just want to figure out what is causing it. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's illegal to ship via USPS, it's not technically illegal, however it does go against their policy to ship via UPS or FedEx. Definitely don't tell them you're shipping beer. I usually say things like "camping supplies". "live yeast samples" is the go to but it's pretty obvious. YMMV, IANAL, et. cetera.

"yeast samples in growth medium"