Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Just a last resort finisher that he would bust out/attempt in big matches. The story with it is he only hit it 7 times in his career and it was always the finish.

similarly, john cena has only gone for the avalanche AA four times in his career, and it too has always been the finish. Last Resort finishers seem to be a rarity but I like it when top wrestlers have one to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

John Cena posted:

similarly, john cena has only gone for the avalanche AA four times in his career, and it too has always been the finish. Last Resort finishers seem to be a rarity but I like it when top wrestlers have one to fall back on.

Yeah, Last Resort finishers are extremely nice, especially if like the Burning Hammer they are never kicked out of. The idea that the wrestler has a move they know CAN end the match but don't bust it out until "Oh poo poo this guy is well and truly not going down" is pretty awesome. Especially if it's a spectacle move.

It's sorta what I think the Undertaker has been lacking. Well, except the Jumping Tombstone he did on Shawn, I don't think he ever did that before or since.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Onmi posted:

Yeah, Last Resort finishers are extremely nice, especially if like the Burning Hammer they are never kicked out of. The idea that the wrestler has a move they know CAN end the match but don't bust it out until "Oh poo poo this guy is well and truly not going down" is pretty awesome. Especially if it's a spectacle move.

It's sorta what I think the Undertaker has been lacking. Well, except the Jumping Tombstone he did on Shawn, I don't think he ever did that before or since.

He did it to the Faker Undertaker . . .

. . . and then delivered to two more regular Tombstones, because gently caress Last Resorts finishers. If you want to TRULY finish a guy, murder him.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 9, 2013

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Davros1 posted:

He did it to the Faker Undertaker . . .

. . . and then delivered to two more regular Tombstones, because gently caress Last Resorts finishers. If you want to TRULY finish a guy, murder him.

My experience in pro wrestling video games bears this out.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Karmine posted:

My experience in pro wrestling video games bears this out.
I once beat Misawa in King of Colosseum II after he survived 2-3 different finishers with...a fireman's carry.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Perigryn posted:

I once beat Misawa in King of Colosseum II after he survived 2-3 different finishers with...a fireman's carry.

"Ya gotta give credit to Doink the Clown!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Perigryn posted:

"On his chest, two, and YAH!!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What was the general consensus around here on Edge, particularly in the latter years of his career?

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Look at those noobs that don't know that the only way to beat Misawa is with a Backdrop Suplex

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Ghostpilot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQxRQ0SZzM&t=90s

Most brainbusters drop you on your shoulders or upper back, but there are some variants in there that straight drops onto the top of the head (Koko B. Ware's Ghostbuster was like this, but it's not in this particular video). In particular Kenta Kobashi's, Chavo Guerrero's (2 minute mark), Kid Kash's (2:23), Ultimo Dragon's (2:53), etc. There are others scattered throughout that look every bit as brutal as the 24 Sai.

(Just gonna link the 24 Sai again because this has been going on for a few pages.)

Alright, it seems we have different ideas of what counts as "old-school". I was thinking of Killer Karl Kox and the like.

But like I said, all those moves involved the user falling backwards, similar to how they would do a vertical suplex. Also, the users make some attempt to use their arm to try and cushion the impact. (As long as I'm being a nitpicky nerd, it's also no surprise that guys like Kobashi and Ultimo Dragon had brutal brainbusters, because they are/were a lot more stiff/dangerous like that in Japan and I think they train/strengthen their necks to be able to endure moves like that.) Ibushi on the other hand, falls forward and his arm seems to do nothing to help the other guy.

I'm not going to deny that the brainbuster is a really dangerous move and that there are people be particularly brutal with it, but Ibushi's move seems to be especially dangerous. The way he does it, there doesn't seem to be a really safe way to take the move.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The fact that Ibushi lets go means their arms are free to help cushion/tumble out of the impact, but still, you're falling from Ibushi's chest height straight loving down.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Aurain posted:

What was the general consensus around here on Edge, particularly in the latter years of his career?

Loved as a heel, pretty much no one cared for his babyface run at the end of his in-ring career.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What was the plan for Edge if he didn't tear his Achilles in '09? JeriShow was awesome, but it wasn't intended to happen. Was Jericho/Edge going to have the same angle behind it? It was supposed to be Jericho/Edge vs DX as a catalyst for Shawn's obsession with fighting Taker at Wrestlemania, so I assume the Jericho/Edge tag team would've imploded and led to a feud anyway. Show went almost straight from JeriShow to ShoMiz, so I wonder if that was the plan from the start and Edge's injury just altered things a bit. Has there ever been any talk about what the plan was supposed to be?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Why do people talk about the 24 Sai as if Ibushi does it all the time???

sticklefifer posted:

What was the plan for Edge if he didn't tear his Achilles in '09? JeriShow was awesome, but it wasn't intended to happen. Was Jericho/Edge going to have the same angle behind it? It was supposed to be Jericho/Edge vs DX as a catalyst for Shawn's obsession with fighting Taker at Wrestlemania, so I assume the Jericho/Edge tag team would've imploded and led to a feud anyway. Show went almost straight from JeriShow to ShoMiz, so I wonder if that was the plan from the start and Edge's injury just altered things a bit. Has there ever been any talk about what the plan was supposed to be?

I am pretty sure it was going to be exactly what we got with Jerishow.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 10, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When and why did Hogan start wearing the boas? Was there an actual reason or did he just start at some point?

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

magnum_valentino posted:

What's Sean Oliver's deal? That is one slimy motherfucker.

Reposting this but less obnoxiously.

What's Sean Oliver's stake in wrestling? Is he just a fan who runs a Shoot video company or has he some history within the industry? He makes me pretty uncomfortable. Just creeps me out altogether. Something about his style of interviewing.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gaz-L posted:

When and why did Hogan start wearing the boas? Was there an actual reason or did he just start at some point?

When he turned heel with the nWo. The gimmick was that he'd gone Hollywood, hence the nickname Hollywood Hogan.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

magnum_valentino posted:

What's Sean Oliver's stake in wrestling? Is he just a fan who runs a Shoot video company or has he some history within the industry? He makes me pretty uncomfortable. Just creeps me out altogether. Something about his style of interviewing.

Just a guy who has a lot of money and likes wrestling.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Just a guy who has a lot of money and likes wrestling.

Thanks bud.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

When he turned heel with the nWo. The gimmick was that he'd gone Hollywood, hence the nickname Hollywood Hogan.

I could have swore he started wearing boas after Jesse Ventura became governor and got in the news. So he took wearing boas from him and declared he was running for President.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjOwdcK9A7k

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

Just a last resort finisher that he would bust out/attempt in big matches. The story with it is he only hit it 7 times in his career and it was always the finish.

oh yeah well it was my finisher in WWE day of reckoning and I would hit it 3+ times in a single match. take that, kobashi

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Grant DaNasty posted:

I could have swore he started wearing boas after Jesse Ventura became governor and got in the news. So he took wearing boas from him and declared he was running for President.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjOwdcK9A7k

Thought he wore them occasionally for backstage stuff/those interstitials before that but I can't actually find any evidence of that so you're probably right. Also worth noting somewhere in here that they didn't really become part of the ring attire until his 2002 WWF return.

eta: Oh god now you guys reminded me the wrist clutch burning hammer is a thing that existed, that may be the stupidest non-aerial bump ever.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 10, 2013

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Onmi posted:

Well, except the Jumping Tombstone he did on Shawn, I don't think he ever did that before or since.

He's done it at least once before, against Owen Hart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3o699SqPto

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neodoomium posted:

"Ya gotta give credit to Doink the Clown!"

"It's a total debacle!"

What a fun game Wrestlemania Arcade was.

What a piece of poo poo In Your House was.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

magnum_valentino posted:

From what I've read: he is a trained actor (though his only claim to fame was a bit part on Sex and the City once) who was a huge mark who decided to start a company specializing in shoot interview DVDs. He has no history in the industry, just a fan who started a company that made some pretty drat entertaining shoots and I consider myself a fan. I actually kinda like his style of interviewing but only because it interacts so uniquely with wrestlers he has to interview, the back-and-forths he generates are just something. I think it has to do with that trained acting he recalls subconsciously when he interviews wrestlers who have literally no acting background in that sense.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone mentioned that he's a lawyer

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Red posted:

"It's a total debacle!"

What a fun game Wrestlemania Arcade was.

What a piece of poo poo In Your House was.

My Dad can't stand video games, but he'd always play WrestleMania Arcade with me because if you button mashed the punch button a lot with DOink, he'd do this wacky boxing combo and it delighted him.

Also, didn't Yokozuna sit on people and fish would fly out? Like raw, uncooked, still possibly alive fish?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

My favorite Wrestlemania Arcade moment:

Doink vs Doink, Doink, and Doink ending with

"Ya gotta give credit to Razor Ramon!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aurain posted:

I always loved Edge when he was doing the goofy poo poo, but any time he tried to be deadly serious, or worse, tried to be psychotic, he really showed his limitations as a talker. I didn't understand how he could do comedy so well, but anything else he was just so awful at.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So I finally got around to watching "For All Mankind" and two things:

1) One of Foley's suggested names upon entering the WWE was "Evan Eargone". No question, I just find that hilarious.

2)My actual question is: during one of Foley's stories he says "I hate to give credit to this guy, but Al Snow told me..." and I'm curious if there's heat between them?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Al Snow and Mick Foley are good friends and Mick loves to put Al down at every opportunity.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Quasipox posted:

So I finally got around to watching "For All Mankind" and two things:

1) One of Foley's suggested names upon entering the WWE was "Evan Eargone". No question, I just find that hilarious.

2)My actual question is: during one of Foley's stories he says "I hate to give credit to this guy, but Al Snow told me..." and I'm curious if there's heat between them?

Foley's first book has a very high Snow Insult-to-chapter ratio. But it's a total rib.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Just look at them hanging out together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9StW0UzaKyQ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Supposedly Snow legit got mad at Foley for a while because he felt Foley took it too far, but I'm pretty sure they're cool now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Davros1 posted:

I always loved Edge when he was doing the goofy poo poo, but any time he tried to be deadly serious, or worse, tried to be psychotic, he really showed his limitations as a talker. I didn't understand how he could do comedy so well, but anything else he was just so awful at.

Really? He did some great poo poo when he was facing the Undertaker, and him and Foley and a classic promo where they were able to build him up as a complete monster. It is hard to say a guy is bad when he was able to build an entire feud without the other guy ever showing.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I think Edge was one of the best overall performers in history, honestly. His in-ring work definitely lacked after his heel injury, but he was still really good. And some of his deadly serious promos were the best. Like the one where he told John Cena he hated him and everything he stood for was spectacular. His face run near the end of his career, particularly against Kane, wasn't that great, but it did give us some great comedy moments at the very least.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I missed Edge's whole face run at the end of his career, but I can't imagine how that'd work well. I was a huge fan of his, but everything about his energy and character scream "SLIMEY BAD GUY"

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I missed Edge's whole face run at the end of his career, but I can't imagine how that'd work well. I was a huge fan of his, but everything about his energy and character scream "SLIMEY BAD GUY"

It was one of those situations like Punk in 2011 where he was just such a good heel, the fans started to cheer him and they had to turn him face, and he sort of lost his edge. (ha ha)

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Zack_Gochuck posted:

It was one of those situations like Punk in 2011 where he was just such a good heel, the fans started to cheer him and they had to turn him face, and he sort of lost his edge. (ha ha)

He was kind of like a Bugs Bunny "ain't a stinker?" babyface where he did incredibly dickish things like try to trick Kane into murdering Paul Bearer but it's okay because Kane was a heel at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zack_Gochuck posted: