Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Yeah I kept checking the play store and it showed the never version but didn't say that I needed to update. Even though the version on my phone was 1.2.

I found this site android police link and it had the apk to side load. So I installed that and magically it's on my phone now.

I think it's pretty sweet. I don't mind the sms/hangout separation but would certainly prefer them to be inline. Although it doesn't really make sense that they need to be since people I talk to on hangouts will never get a text from me.

edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Looks like no quick-reply for sms if you're using hangouts.

Glowfly kind of works on the n5, except it generally doesnt clear the notification or mark read.

Also sometimes it just doesnt work at all. Better than nothing though! :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm guessing Hangouts isn't smart enough to associate the fake number with the appropriate contact, right?

No, nor is the AOSP Messaging app.

You have to add the fake number to the real person's contact and mark it as "GV" or something.

That way, when you message that number, it'll show up as your GV number to the other person.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I have 3 different media players that I use often. Pocket casts, smart audio book player, and the stock mudic player, is there a widget or a way to control the basic functions of these (play/pause next/back) with one widget? I currently have 3 widgets on my home screen for these and would like to declutter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Skarsnik posted:

Glowfly kind of works on the n5, except it generally doesnt clear the notification or mark read.

Also sometimes it just doesnt work at all. Better than nothing though! :v:

Hmm, you make a good argument...

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Lightflow updated for Kitkat today, should hopefully fix the notification lag for hangouts.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Question about Hangouts for the more experienced. Is there anyway to archive part of a hangout but not the entire thing?
I transferred over my sms from my Nexus 4 which had unrestricted length (I think some were 6k+ messages) but had no impact on its performance, but now I am having significant issues with Hangouts becoming unresponsive when I open some of these threads.

The other question would be whether these threads could be archived in parts (ex a few months per block).

Thanks

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I've got a question about manually uploading photos from my phone to Google+. I find the auto-backup feature to be completely useless as it'll upload my photos before I edit any of them, or it'll upload all 10 photos I've taken of the same thing and I have to sort through them to find the one I actually wanted to keep. I've disabled it, but I can't find a way to upload from my phone directly to Google+ (not sharing with anyone, just in my private photos). I swore I had found a way to do it on 4.3, but I don't see any option right now.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I've been getting around that by just sharing the photo with myself. It's kinda dumb but it works.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I guess you'd have to leave it disabled and whenever you had a collection you'd like to backup just go in and select "Back up all"

I've got mine set to only backup while on wifi and charging (aka when I go to bed) so I've got time to do any editing or pruning before then.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Oh, you gotta be loving kidding me. Google swapped the tap to zoom in their Maps update.

WHY?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ante posted:

Oh, you gotta be loving kidding me. Google swapped the tap to zoom in their Maps update.

WHY?

The funny thing about this is that I got so used to the backwards way that Chrome had it, that when I just went into Maps to see what the problem was, it felt intuitive to me. Just a month ago I'd complained about Chrome being backwards, so I guess you just get used to it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just a month ago I'd complained about Chrome being backwards, so I guess you just get used to it.
Both apps now feel horribly backwards to me. Chrome has been annoying me for a month or whatever. Down to zoom in? Who decided that was intuitive?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 9, 2013

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Why the gently caress can't they pick one and stick with it?

I mean, yeah, I will get used to it, but gently caress. What a stupid problem to have in the first place.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Tunga posted:

Both apps now feel horribly backwards to me. Chrome has been annoying me for a month or whatever. Down to zoom in? Who decided that was intuitive?

I have no idea what you're talking about, and I feel I'm probably missing some functionality that might be useful.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, and I feel I'm probably missing some functionality that might be useful.

Double tap and hold, then drag up and down. I generally just double tap to zoom though, or pinch

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

Down to zoom in? Who decided that was intuitive?

Think of yourself as a camera, pointing down on something. Moving the camera down makes the thing it's pointing at bigger, right?

/strawclutching

That said, I find myself zooming in a lot more often that zooming out, and double tap + down is an easier movement, so I'm cool with it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Rusty! posted:

Think of yourself as a camera, pointing down on something. Moving the camera down makes the thing it's pointing at bigger, right?

/strawclutching

That said, I find myself zooming in a lot more often that zooming out, and double tap + down is an easier movement, so I'm cool with it.

I assume they chose down because if you want to zoom in on something then it will fill more of the screen - dragging your thumb up would obscure more of the screen and therefore defeat purpose of zooming in.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

My go to solution for video streaming (PS media server on desktop, Bubble UPnP and MX Player on the phone/tablet (2012 nexus 7) has stopped working after the latest updates. MX Player no longer launches videos ("Video can not be played"). I already downloaded the latest codec (ARMv2 7 Neon or what it's called) and assigned it in MX Player, still no luck.

Any ideas how I could fix this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Now I feel like I'm doing mobile internets wrong.

99% of my zooming in a browser is done with a simple double tap.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Same here. I didn't even know what everyone was talking about and had to try it for myself.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Me too until I read the complaint last time. Double-tap-drag zoom is less intuitive than pinching but it's easier to do.

Drag down to zoom in makes more sense to me (in Chrome at least) because the downward motion is easier and I usually want to zoom in, and a double-tap will go back to default zoom. In Maps it's ok that it's backwards, again because the downward motion for zoom out is easier than an upward motion, and double-tap always zooms in instead of being a toggle like Chrome.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

In Maps it's ok that it's backwards, again because the downward motion for zoom out is easier than an upward motion, and double-tap always zooms in instead of being a toggle like Chrome.
Maps has now switched to work the same way as Chrome.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

Maps has now switched to work the same way as Chrome.

I tried it just before I posted, but I erroneously thought that the "Locations" utility in G+ used Maps. So it zooms the way I described, and maps doesn't. Jesus Christ.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

Think of it like you're pulling it toward you or pushing it away?

I dunno, I like it.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
If you could disable map rotation, pinch to zoom would be perfect. Can you? I don't see it.

I didn't know about the double tap drag method though, thanks.

Why did the click-on-word autocorrect on the Google keyboard get worse? It doesn't use the word's context anymore and instead suggests similar words to the wrong one you swiped.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, new Hangouts uses location settings for SMS somewhat.

I was texting a friend, network location settings crashed and then I couldn't receive texts anymore in Hangouts. If I didn't have it set up with Google Voice, I'd never know that he was still texting me.

Hangouts just refused to send me his texts, it worked fine when I looked in AOSP Messenger.

SMS in Hangouts is great. :allears:

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
Every single review out there all say that the Nexus 5 is a great device - for 350-399 dollars. The funny thing is Google made the decision to only make the 32GB version of Nexus 5 available in countries with a Play Store. So all Swedish carriers or resellers only carry the 16 GB version. To get the 32GB version I have to have go through tons of work to create VPN connections, new Google accounts and strange shipping addresses to get this device from the UK. But who am I kidding? I need the phone and I want the Nexus 5! In spite of me having to $620 for it.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I don't hate or love the new Hangouts. It's acceptable as a texting program, and Hangouts messaging is fine too. It ties into Chrome on my laptop.

SMS backup+ (a must-have app, IMO) did not restore my texts to Hangouts when I got the N5, which is slightly irritating but not really an issue. Essentially I don't have 7k+ texts on my phone, though they're backed up to gmail. It seems to back up the messages from Hangouts, at least.

My gf has an iPhone 5, and Hangouts has the free voice calls option, which is mildly annoying to me since I'm pretty invested in Google but don't have the option yet.

It has room for improvement, sure -- particularly in terms of design -- but I have not had a buggy experience so far.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nocal posted:

I don't hate or love the new Hangouts. It's acceptable as a texting program, and Hangouts messaging is fine too. It ties into Chrome on my laptop.

SMS backup+ (a must-have app, IMO) did not restore my texts to Hangouts when I got the N5, which is slightly irritating but not really an issue. Essentially I don't have 7k+ texts on my phone, though they're backed up to gmail. It seems to back up the messages from Hangouts, at least.

My gf has an iPhone 5, and Hangouts has the free voice calls option, which is mildly annoying to me since I'm pretty invested in Google but don't have the option yet.

It has room for improvement, sure -- particularly in terms of design -- but I have not had a buggy experience so far.

It's a pretty sloppy "integration". They basically took AOSP Messaging code and copy-pasted it into Hangouts. Also, there's no Google Voice integration until "early 2014".

Knowing Google and their vague times, it'll probably be April or May when people are thinking February or January.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
My biggest annoyance with SMS hangouts so far is the 160 character limit. Even my old winmo 6 phone would just let me keep typing and split it into two messages automatically, but this just stops letting you type more. If you decide to go back and add more characters earlier in the message, it'll not let you type there either. It's a huge pain. Are there SMS alternatives I should be considering?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 10, 2013

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Lakitu7 posted:

My biggest annoyance with SMS hangouts so far is the 160 character limit. Even my old winmo 6 phone would just let me keep typing and split it into two messages automatically, but this just stops letting you type more. If you decide to go back and add more characters earlier in the message, it'll not let you type there either. It's a huge pain. Are there SMS alternatives I should be considering?

When I was on my HTC One and on CM nighties where MMS didn't work I was using Textra. It's pretty nice and worked.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
This is probably an easy 'no', but I'm kind of desperate for an app that would let me stream live audio over dlna. I want to use my nexus 7 as a passthrough for spotify to my onkyo home theater receiver because onkyo's spotify uh.. app? is poo poo.

Does anything like this exist? I like the easy browsing on the tablet and want the music to play on my receiver.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

What? Mine certainly lets me send longer texts without any issue. It gives me the characters remaining countdown when I get within ten characters, then it just splits into two.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm guessing you're not on Sprint. From googling a bit, it seems to be only on people with Sprint for some reason. I don't really see how carrier would stop it from just splitting it up i.e. behaving like it does for everyone else.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm guessing you're not on Sprint. From googling a bit, it seems to be only on people with Sprint for some reason. I don't really see how carrier would stop it from just splitting it up i.e. behaving like it does for everyone else.

It has something to do with how CDMA carriers send texts, but yes it's extremely dumb on Google's part especially because everyone else found a way around it 5 years ago.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Saliciouscrumb posted:

Every single review out there all say that the Nexus 5 is a great device - for 350-399 dollars. The funny thing is Google made the decision to only make the 32GB version of Nexus 5 available in countries with a Play Store. So all Swedish carriers or resellers only carry the 16 GB version. To get the 32GB version I have to have go through tons of work to create VPN connections, new Google accounts and strange shipping addresses to get this device from the UK. But who am I kidding? I need the phone and I want the Nexus 5! In spite of me having to $620 for it.
Handtec in the UK sells the 16GB and 32GB versions for practically the same prices as on the Play Store. --edit: And they ship worldwide.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Juice Box Hero posted:

This is probably an easy 'no', but I'm kind of desperate for an app that would let me stream live audio over dlna. I want to use my nexus 7 as a passthrough for spotify to my onkyo home theater receiver because onkyo's spotify uh.. app? is poo poo.

Does anything like this exist? I like the easy browsing on the tablet and want the music to play on my receiver.

There's a thing for Google Music:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.upnpcast&hl=en

I haven't seen anything for spotify, though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

What's the best SSH client for Android? I used Prompt on iPhone but I IIRC that app's iOS only. I'll use it almost exclusively for irssi access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ulvir posted:

What's the best SSH client for Android? I used Prompt on iPhone but I IIRC that app's iOS only. I'll use it almost exclusively for irssi access.

Irssi Connectbot is made especially for interfacing with irssi. It's based on a good SSH client called Connectbot.

• Locked thread