Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
No, en-tundra is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Jesus loving christ, dude. You do not want to be the creep stroking the woman's arm in this comparison.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

RasputinVarez posted:

I fully agree that it was negative and sarcastic and not the best way to start the post, but my issue is the use of the word vindictive.

It's like a man thinks he's a great pick up artist, he walks over to a woman in a bar and hits on her "hey baby, what's a good girl like you doing in a place like this?" and starts stroking her arm because phisical contact makes women open up more according to some redddit thread he read online.

now, that's scummy and inappropriate, but would you call it sexual assault or rape? no, and calling him such not only lessens the impact of the terms but also makes him look like a worse person than he actually is and compleately misrepresents his intent. It's the level of overstatement and the implications of malicious intent that "vindictive" implies that I take issue with, not the criticism itself.

It was just an icebreaker, and considering the Retsupreay or however they spell it now, the adults react video and other content connected with this site such as chip and ironicus it seemed like an appropriate way to break the ice.

And you should watch it, because Rune is a great underrated gem of a game made by developers who really cared what they were doing, I chose to try LPing again because nobody i know has even heard of this game and it deserves a wider fanbase.

Far be it from me to tell you how to carry yourself, but comparing your little Youtube LP joke to some creeper harassing women at a bar does not paint you in a positive light, dude.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.

full cover

THE LP

Each episode of the LP should be structured as follows: Each level will be played through showing one successful run of the level thanks to the magic of the quick save, all commentary will be done in post and commentary will not be particularly verbose nor will it be off topic bullshit or forced humor. Then, only after the level has been successfully completed in a manner respectful to the game, a montage of other funny or interesting moments or just plain terrible jokes that were too bad to put in the real gameplay part of the LP. And by jokes I mean terrible puns and double en-tundra

Updates will be pretty consistent unless I get a job, so will probably remain consistent. Now, enough bullshit, let's get back to the topic at hand, please note that sections will be expanded as the game progresses, for instance goblins will be added as an enemy after they are seen in game.

THE GAME

Rune, released in 2000 by Human Head Studios (who also developed Prey and worked on Infinite) Is a hack and slash action adventure game available on both PC and PS2

You play as Ragnar Threepwood, and battle through the Norse underworld in order to stop the servants of the evil god Loki from destroying Odin's runestones and bringing forth Ragnarok, the end of the world.

Many different weapons, shields, lizards and Rune magic exist to aid in your adventure. But Goblin like creatures, zombies, giant enemy crabs (without glowing weakspots), spooky scary Skelingtons and eventually currupted vikings serving the dark god Loki are there to try and stop you.

Rune magic is an activated ability that each weapon has, it varies between weapons and takes up rune power to use, so use it wisely.

It's a unique game with a cool late 90's ascetic, varied and interesting levels, fun game-play, some really nice environmental touches and decapitations. You also get health back by ripping the heads of lizards.

Characters

Ragnar Threepwood
Player character, his first day as a viking warrior and Odin sends him to hell to stop the forces of Loki from destroying the world.

Loki
Evil God who wants to free himself so he can bring about the end of the world

Odin
Good god who wants you to stop the end of the world

Enemies

Drowning
Yeah, you can hold your breath for 90 seconds at a time before you start losing health (http://youtu.be/dSXb8zwqYP4?t=22m46s) and you move pretty fast and breathing holes are pretty easy to find, so drowning shouldn't be much of a problem

Bosses

Ulfat the Weapons Master
Weapons master of the village, a pretty easy fight against what is meant to be the best fighter in the village, especially as you can't actually lose.

Weapons

SWORDS -fast weapons, lower damage, most fun.

Viking Short Sword
Very fast weapon, doesn't do a lot of damage but can get a lot of hits in
Rune-stone Ability: Vampire
Damage you do gives you health, incredibly useful for that alone, as in a long fight you can whip this guy out and be back to full health in no time. Assuming you have any rune power to activate it.
NOTE: every online source i can find swears that this weapon has a magic shield ability, but even from memories as a kid I swear this always had vampire

AXES -medium weapons, medium damage

Hand Axe
Medium speed weapon, mostly used for beheading zombies, where it seems to have a better chance of getting a decapitation (you'll see) does a bit more damage than the short sword, but is also a bit slower.
Rune-Stone Ability: Flame
Can become a flaming axe and do fire damage

MACES -slow weapons, good for armored opponents and shields, best for throwing apparently

Rusty Mace
Slowest starting weapon, rarely used because it does gently caress all damage
Rune-Stone Ability: Shockwave
Doesn't do any more damage, but does knock-back enemies so perhaps useful when you are surrounded or near a cliff or lava...

Shields

Bigger shields have higher life bars and cover more area, that's all you need to know

Pick Ups

HEALTH
Fruit heals one point
Lizards heal one point, if they are unreachable throw something at them and they will fall
Mead, Heals a lot of points

RUNES

EPISODE GUIDE

Epiode 1 - Wotenkeld

Not a whole lot of game-play, the first level is mostly just cut-scenes and a bit of tutorial. It is unique that you explore a village and talk to people who are not trying to kill you, but at least it gets the framework of the story-line and setup out of the way so the game is mostly action from now on with cut-scenes being short and sweet and usually serving as short overviews of the level or hints at what to do next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXb8zwqYP4

Episode 2- THE GAME ACTUALLY STARTS HERE

More pics will be added as time goes on

So, i Think i'll make part 2 before making this as a thread, and add in the OP that the game-play actually starts there, the game really kicks off at level 8, but at least from level two it involves actual gameplay, i think level three is where combat starts to be a thing

I'll also rewrite this when it isn't 5AM and i'm not sore from the gym

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Haven't watched the video but this OP is pretty bad. "En-tundra" is not "entendre", your YouTube LP joke is bad. Your formatting is bad and the general writing of it all is sloppy. Run that poo poo through Microsoft Word and pay attention to how many squiggly red and green lines appear.

E: Okay you posted a new OP, but pretty much all of what I said still applies and you've still got remnants of the YouTube LP thing in there.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

RasputinVarez posted:

I'll also rewrite this when it isn't 5AM and i'm not sore from the gym

I, too, lift.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

Lance Streetman posted:

Jesus loving christ, dude. You do not want to be the creep stroking the woman's arm in this comparison.

Holidae posted:

Far be it from me to tell you how to carry yourself, but comparing your little Youtube LP joke to some creeper harassing women at a bar does not paint you in a positive light, dude.

Yeah, it's almost like it's a HUGE loving OVER EXAGGERATION and it turns a small issue into a big thing by using a terrible way of expressing your point that makes somebody look really loving bad for something relatively minor, like making fun of loving dark syde phil, the man who can't spell loving side

wait, it's 5AM, i'm already a terrible poster, this is just getting worse, i will return to turning this LP into something watchable tomorrow... much later today

and seriously "rape comparison"? come on guys, it was me thinking up the dumbest possible comparison that took a small issue and overstated it. hell, there was no rape in my comparison anyway, just a lonely guy trying to hit on women.

oh poo poo, i just saw a slowbeef post, i'm going to bed before i get an urge to show him how much more weight i've lost and lose another ten bucks

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

RasputinVarez posted:

Yeah, it's almost like it's a HUGE loving OVER EXAGGERATION and it turns a small issue into a big thing by using a terrible way of expressing your point that makes somebody look really loving bad

You seem all too familiar with this concept. At least you're being proactive and leaving to go relax after a gym sesh rather than pipe up on an internet forum that you specifically asked for critique on.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Aren't you perchance related to a guy going by the name of XBoxPants?

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

RasputinVarez posted:

Yeah, it's almost like it's a HUGE loving OVER EXAGGERATION and it turns a small issue into a big thing by using a terrible way of expressing your point that makes somebody look really loving bad for something relatively minor, like making fun of loving dark syde phil, the man who can't spell loving side

wait, it's 5AM, i'm already a terrible poster, this is just getting worse, i will return to turning this LP into something watchable tomorrow... much later today

and seriously "rape comparison"? come on guys, it was me thinking up the dumbest possible comparison that took a small issue and overstated it. hell, there was no rape in my comparison anyway, just a lonely guy trying to hit on women.

oh poo poo, i just saw a slowbeef post, i'm going to bed before i get an urge to show him how much more weight i've lost and lose another ten bucks
Oh yeah, you were the guy who posted naked pictures of your fat and disgusting body in response to someone making fun of a video game you made, isn't it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485255&pagenumber=207&perpage=40#post412904778

In which case, go away. It's been over 8 months and you're still a terrible person and poster. There is no hope for you.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

RasputinVarez posted:

Alright, dude. Calm down. You're having a loving breakdown on the internet because we didn't like your joke.

Take a deep breath. Maybe a couple. You need it.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

RasputinVarez posted:

If you're going for weight loss, the bench is not the best place. You should really do cardio. If you build up muscles under fat, nobody can see them; though more muscle mass does mean your metabolism will be higher, but cardio will have more noticeable effects.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Haven't watched the video but this OP is pretty bad. "En-tundra" is not "entendre", your YouTube LP joke is bad. Your formatting is bad and the general writing of it all is sloppy. Run that poo poo through Microsoft Word and pay attention to how many squiggly red and green lines appear.

E: Okay you posted a new OP, but pretty much all of what I said still applies and you've still got remnants of the YouTube LP thing in there.

actually the line "bullshit forced humor" is a reference to an earlier LP where i got trolled really loving hard on this site by somebody i was later informed purposefully gives bad advice to new posters. And folling his advice tried to fill in every moment with talking, it's me making fun of myself.

NOTE: ignore people with anime avatars

judge reinhold posted:

No, en-tundra is correct.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Really, we're telling you to take it out. You came here for constructive criticism and everyone is trying to give it to you. Your OP is mostly for simple info on the game and to hold the links, you don't need to LP Superstar it.

And "entendre", not "en-tundra"

How the hell did i manage that? I googled it and it came up as a real thing...

checking the links...

1. double en-tundra
1. A horrible pun told above the tree-line.
2. The kind of joke that gets you beat up.
"We pined for new jokes as soon as we got above the tree line, but we were already in the double en-tundra."

oh dear, i really am going to bed now, i'm so tired i can't even google properly

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
90's ascetic vs. 90's aesthetic.

e: Oh god, what happened here? I'm never posting from my phone again.

Kiavahr fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 10, 2013

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

RasputinVarez posted:

Ahahahaha why would you bring this up again?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Ya know, I would normally give you my reasoning and be a little more devil's advocate but you've been melting down for 2 pages now simply because I used the word "vindictive".

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

RasputinVarez posted:

NOTE: ignore people with anime avatars

Even a broken clock is right once a day.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kiavahr posted:

90's ascetic vs. 90's aesthetic.

This game was a smash hit in post-Vatican II Friar Minor monasteries.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RasputinVarez posted:

actually the line "bullshit forced humor" is a reference to an earlier LP where i got trolled really loving hard on this site by somebody i was later informed purposefully gives bad advice to new posters. And folling his advice tried to fill in every moment with talking, it's me making fun of myself.

That is why the Sandbox exists so you can get technical support and writing help, so that no one accidentally shitposts in the LP subforum. This place is a rock to remind you that you're not as great as you think you are, that is its entire purpose.

E. Ignore anime avatar

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

RasputinVarez posted:

That's kind of an esoteric in-joke that is neither funny nor relevant. I'd say drop it.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

RasputinVarez posted:

It's only a sentence and a half, and I don't think vindictive is particularly the right word to use. Vindictive involves a strong or unreasonable desire for revenge, I just wanted to make fun of how people who make terrible you tube videos and become rich and famous undesirably. I don't want revenge, just to make fun of them the same way anything should be open for being made fun of. Vindictive really does imply some kind of malicious intent, I think you are overstating my comments a bit.

EDIT: Probably will remove it, but still, Vindictive? mean-spirited, negative, resentful even, but not vindictive

I have no desire to read your LP knowing your going to be a cock about it. That's the best way to respond to advice by the way.

Edit: All right, let me at least watch the video and give you some feedback. I'm not a big fan of just throwing the viewer into the game with no introduction. Does this game have a title screen or does it just throw you into the game every time you start it up? As a viewer, it just seems really messy to just throw me into the game without any type of introduction. You get to it but at 3:40.

Your commentary is fine, very clear and you actually stop talking to take a break and collect yourself. The video is fine just fix the OP and how you react to people's criticism.

ReturnOfFable fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 10, 2013

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

RasputinVarez posted:

"Something watchable"

Most of the complaints were about the OP, not the video itself. If you want a nice descriptive OP, then you need to do things like formatting, punctuation, spelling, etc. Look at the LP Archive for similar games. See how things are formatted. On the other hand, if you want to do what I do, have a shorter OP and a more descriptive video.

However, if you can't be asked to capitalize the beginning words of sentences, the word 'I', or add punctuation at the ends of sentences (even in your OP), then who's to say you're going to spend any effort on your videos?

The standards are high here for a reason. But, simply asking you to write more professionally is hardly asking you to climb Annapurna at night in the winter.

And, I went through your rap sheet and how in the hell is 'nearly showing your wiener' something that not only crossed your mind, but was a thought so vivid and rational to you that you simply had to post it in a completely inappropriate thread full of people who are obviously not interested?
EDIT: Forget it, I don't even want to know.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The second I saw his name I knew this posting frenzy would happen.

Everyone should avail themselves of this video by Habermann: YouTube

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Lunethex posted:

Everyone should avail themselves of this video by Habermann: YouTube

RIP Habermann.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

gatz posted:

RIP Habermann.
He would have loved this :qq:

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Even a broken clock is right once a day.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

(Unless it's on military time or if it's digital {then it's never right})

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

TheJayOfSpade posted:

A broken clock is right twice a day.

(Unless it's on military time or if it's digital {then it's never right})

It could be right but rarely. Not all clocks have the same 'second' - even the fine quartz digital watches. They all have some error due to temperature swings or imperfections that can build up over time and cause one clock to be slightly slower or faster than another. Mechanical watches are less accurate than quartz ones, so they could accumulate enough error to be right, but even that would be 1-2 seconds a day, so we're talking 43,200 days (12 hours buildup at a second a day).

But then again it depends on what your accuracy is. If it's within a second, then yes it could be right for a half a day for a mechanical watch, and a month or so for a quartz watch. If you're trying to get the exact particular vibration of an atomic clock, then no, it'll be slightly off.

I suggest watching the quartz watch episode of the secret life of machines. It's very informative.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gatz posted:

RIP Habermann.

He wasn't permabanned, so there's still hope that he'll rereg, like Arthur returning from Avalon :allears:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommissarMega posted:

He wasn't permabanned, so there's still hope that he'll rereg, like Arthur returning from Avalon :allears:

He's still producing videos for his channel, for the purpose of amassing subsctroops to overthrow Lowtax' rule of terror.

A clock that doesn't move shall be right twice a day as time regularly passes the mark on which it is stuck :psyduck: Have you never encountered this proverb before?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 10, 2013

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

He's still producing videos for his channel, for the purpose of amassing subsctroops to overthrow Lowtax' rule of terror.

A clock that doesn't move shall be right twice a day as time regularly passes the mark on which it is stuck :psyduck: Have you never encountered this proverb before?

Obviously, and I know what it means, but I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to someone who said digital watches were never right.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

valkhorn posted:

Obviously, and I know what it means, but I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to someone who said digital watches were never right.

But they're really neat.

Now where's my towel?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

valkhorn posted:

He was saying that a broken digital watch would never be right, you know, because it wouldn't display a time at all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CommissarMega posted:

What happened?

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

He was saying that a broken digital watch would never be right, you know, because it wouldn't display a time at all.

He never gave a reason period, so the reasoning is open to interpretation. That's your interpretation, and I had another one.

No big whoop. Carry on.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Xander77 posted:

What happened?
The ban's unrelated to LP, but he was kind enough to inform everyone in the end of his Homefront thread.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Xander77 posted:

What happened?

He posted in Lowtax's GBS "ban me" thread. He stated that he couldn't deal with posting on a forum where posters attack and dehumanize transgendered people.

Here's the post he made.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
None of this is on topic.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

JordanKai posted:

He posted in Lowtax's GBS "ban me" thread. He stated that he couldn't deal with posting on a forum where posters attack and dehumanize transgendered people.

Here's the post he made.

He's got my respect now. Good for him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Apologies in advance for the numerous noob questions, it's one thing being an LP watcher and another trying to make them. I'd rather gain some knowledge than run in blind. I already have an LP in progress so this is just a general enquiry for the future.

Even with the HD take-over I didn't really make the investment when I could, now my financial situation is now preventing me from making the transition. Over the last few years a lot of the big-budget modern games are made with HD in mind, even games without the high budget have that option.

Would it be best to avoid LP'ing games with HD capability? Or if I decided to LP a game with HD capability then it should really be drat well worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Would it be best to avoid LP'ing games with HD capability? Or if I decided to LP a game with HD capability then it should really be drat well worth watching?

I'd go for something pre-HD. In fact, that's actually what I've always done. Maybe find a game from your childhood that nobody else has heard of.

• Locked thread