Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kenning posted:

750 ml of those is usually like $22+, whereas half bottles are somewhere around $12, if you can find them. Honestly, it's worth the investment though, since those are seriously sippin'-quality vermouths.

NH liquor commission has 750 ml. Dolin for ~ $15 but I only buy the dry when I know I will use it a bunch, sip one, and use the rest for cooking if there is any left that needs using. It is very good, but out of my usual budget with it's shelf-life and I have no problem keeping little bottles of Martini on hand for more daily use. The thought of wasting a half bottle of something nice, even if almost as cheap as the low-end stuff, drives me nuts. Guess all the time I spent listening to old-timers prattle about growing up in the depression has impacted my cocktail making. v0v

But I'm the guy who will defend Mcclelland Islay as a perfectly decent if very simple scotch that serves a nice role in today's single malt pricing. So feel free to ignore me.

E: Any ideas for using Bulgarian rose rakia in cocktails? I subbed some in for the brandy in a Stay Up Late and it was nothing special but a change of pace. The rakia is a lot like rose water in flavor.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Vya dry is seriously gorgeous. I love it lightly chilled with a twist of orange or lemon. Dolin dry is my go to for martinis, I can usually find half bottles for $9 or so, and kept in the fridge it keeps for at least a month.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Mezcal in a manhattan: good idea or bad idea?

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Mezcal in a manhattan: good idea or bad idea?

I think that the mezcal smokiness intermingled with sweet vermouth would be one of the worst taste sensations in liquor.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

fuzzy fluffystuff posted:

I think that the mezcal smokiness intermingled with sweet vermouth would be one of the worst taste sensations in liquor.

The Rob Roy would like a word with you sir.

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

The Rob Roy would like a word with you sir.

In my humble opinion scotch belongs in a glass with a dash of nothing else at all.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

In my humble opinion scotch belongs in a glass with a dash of nothing else at all.

Single malt? Yes. Blended? Errrrrr....not so much.

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Single malt? Yes. Blended? Errrrrr....not so much.

Blended scotch is not for drinking, just for decoration on the bottom shelves of sad dive bars.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Blended scotch is not for drinking, just for decoration on the bottom shelves of sad dive bars.

How many fedoras do you own?

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

How many fedoras do you own?

Due to my crippling fear of going out of doors I need not and do not own any clothing whatsoever.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I've never been a big fan of the Rob Roy, but the Bobby Burns is right up my alley. It's like a Scotch Manhattan with a touch of honey and herb from Benedictine.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Due to my crippling fear of going out of doors I need not and do not own any clothing whatsoever.

YOU BASTARD I CAUGHT YOU!

If you don't go outdoors you have no way of knowing *what* bottles adorn the shelves in dive bars! FRAUD!

Seriously thought, I'm in the process of broadening my scotch horizons. I've had a few single malts and a few blended scotches. Teachers,Black Bottle, and Famous Grouse are leagues above Chivas, JWB, and Cutty Sark poo poo you'd see in most bars, and while I wouldn't recommend them straight they hold up quite well in cocktails. Especially Teacher's. Goddamn do I need another bottle of Teacher's.

I know scotch purists get all pissy about the concept of anyone drinking anything except a single malt in a special glass with the sole addition of three drops of water that were collected from the dew that dripped off the freshly shorn labia of a Scottish virgin in the middle of a goddamn meadow. And that's all well and good if I have a nice quiet evening to relax and enjoy the malt, taking my time to nose it and taste if and study it and basically get my money's worth. The problem being I'm a family man with three kids, one more on the way and I work between 60-72 hours a week. So when I come home, if I reach for scotch it's going to be a blend with a couple of ice cubes, or a scotch and soda, etc. And once in a blue moon I'll appreciate a good single malt the way god intended.

On a side note, an Old Fashioned is a nice relaxing cocktail. Was craving a Manhattan all day, but my dumb rear end is out of vermouth. So I threw together a nice Old Fashioned with some Evan Williams single barrel. Good way to end a day.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If you've never spent a chilly night passing a bottle of Johnnie red with a friend until it is empty, you are missing out :colbert:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Butch Cassidy posted:

If you've never spent a chilly night passing a bottle of Johnnie red with a friend until it is empty, you are missing out :colbert:

I once did this with Grant's. Would not recommend.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Going shopping tomorrow.Here's my list:
Carpano Antica, if not Dolin
Vya Dry, if not Martini and Rossi
Bluecoat Gin, if not Plymouth or Hayman
Green Chartreuse
Maraschino Liquer
Creme de Violette
Angel's Envy Bourbon, if not Elijah Craig
Tempelton Rye, if not Russel Reserve
Grand Mariner
Lairds Apple Brandy
Any new bitters I can find

I want to try different sweet vermouths and see how they affect a cocktail. I also want to see how different bourbons and ryes affect a Chapel Hill, Boulevadier, Derby, etc. With this I can also make a proper Martinez, Martini, etc.

With this I can also make an Aviation, Last Word, Snake Bite, etc.

I just got into a goddamn car accident today and can't turn my head to the side without wanting to scream, so I'm going to have an extra day off work. Might as well get piss drunk.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 8, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Let's trade paychecks. And let me know how you like the Bluecoat, I noticed it in the liquor store the other day and am tempted to try it after I give Cold River a shot.

E: And good luck with your neck.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

rxcowboy posted:

I want to try different sweet vermouths and see how they affect a cocktail. I also want to see how different bourbons and ryes affect a Chapel Hill, Boulevadier, Derby, etc. With this I can also make a proper Martinez, Martini, etc.

With this I can also make an Aviation, Last Word, Snake Bite, etc.

Get two bottles of the chartreuse, maraschino and gin. Last Words are addictive.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Let's trade paychecks. And let me know how you like the Bluecoat, I noticed it in the liquor store the other day and am tempted to try it after I give Cold River a shot.

E: And good luck with your neck.

Booze is pretty cheap here in maryland, and I probably won't be able to find all that tomorrow but even if I did it would be around 200 for the lot I reckon. And it would last me a month. Also you don't want my check, the only reason I might get all this poo poo is I pull 20 hours of ot on the first and third week of the month, 32 on the second and fourth.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

rxcowboy posted:

Booze is pretty cheap here in maryland, and I probably won't be able to find all that tomorrow but even if I did it would be around 200 for the lot I reckon. And it would last me a month. Also you don't want my check, the only reason I might get all this poo poo is I pull 20 hours of ot on the first and third week of the month, 32 on the second and fourth.

Well chartreuse is usually ~$60 so just eyeballing your list, you're looking closer to $300 but I'm not familiar at all with prices in Maryland. Solid choices all around though. Dolin and Carpano are awesome, never had Vya since my usual place doesn't have it, but it's supposed to be a really great dry vermouth. Green chartreuse and maraschino liqueur are indispensable, I don't have creme de violette yet, so I can't say whether I'd use it much. It looks really pretty, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than a traditional Aviation. I've only heard recently of Angel's Envy. Is that supposed to be good? I have Elijah Craig and can vouch for it being a good value. Also, why not Rittenhouse rye? Solid for cocktails and cheaper to boot. Laird's bonded apple brandy rocks. Cheers!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Probably because Rittenhouse's last release dried up like 6 months ago at least.

At least in my neck of the woods :(

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

Probably because Rittenhouse's last release dried up like 6 months ago at least.

Harassing the guys at Heaven Hill about this was one of the better parts of my summer. Turns out even with a half million barrels aging they can't keep up the supply, since the stills have to run almost continuously to keep us supplied with Evan Williams.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

I should probably get another bottle to stock up then...

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

The Hebug posted:

I should probably get another bottle to stock up then...

There is a ton of Rittenhouse at the stores in my area, maybe I should stock up since it's 18 a bottle.

And then sell it to you guys for 30 bucks. Plus shipping.

On a side note, none of the stores in my area had creme de violet. Apparently some rear end in a top hat bought the last bottle at one of the stores yesterday. Fess up, which one of you assholes was in maryland?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

rxcowboy posted:

There is a ton of Rittenhouse at the stores in my area, maybe I should stock up since it's 18 a bottle.

On a side note, none of the stores in my area had creme de violet. Apparently some rear end in a top hat bought the last bottle at one of the stores yesterday. Fess up, which one of you assholes was in maryland?

No fair, here in SF I'm limited to one bottle per order. :(

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

The Hebug posted:

No fair, here in SF I'm limited to one bottle per order. :(

Here in Maryland, it's buy however much you can afford. Got $1000? Congrats you drunk gently caress, here's $1000 of Rittenhouse.

And now...

:getin:

I made a Last Word tonight. Green Chartresuse, Marachino Liquer, fresh limes, and Bluecoat Gin.

It's loving delicious. Not at all what I was expecting it to taste like, but better somehow. It's so fresh and crisp, a perfect blend of the herbs in both the gin and Chartreuse, with a light almond note and citrus from the lime playing in the background. It's not sweet really at all. It's just brilliant. I can't emphasize this enough, everyone needs to try this cocktail to show what a REAL cocktail is capable of pulling off.

Also, the Bluecoat is one of the best gin's I've ever had. The juniper is there but it's dialed way the gently caress back and the citrus and herbs and pine are brought to the forefront. It's not a neutered gin/nearly a flavored vodka like New Amsterdam, it's just easier on the juniper unlike a regular London Dry. Old Raj is still my favorite gin, but Bluecoat is an easy number 2. And I've got a coupon for it so my next bottle is only 17 bucks. This might not have enough punch for a good gin and tonic, I'd have to cut the amount of tonic way the gently caress down.

Going to try a Snakebite next, then a proper Martinez.

To anyone who is on the fence about it, buy the poo poo and make a Last Word. Totally worth it.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 9, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I'm a moron. Nevermind.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Any suggestions for things that I am missing?

Rum - Aged:

Ron Zacapa 23
El Dorado 21 Year Old
Angostura 1824
HAVANA CLUB SELECCION DE MAESTROS

Rum – White / Cachaca

El Dorado 6 Year Old Silver Rum
Leblon Cachaca
DOMAINE DE MARQUISAT DE STE MARIE RHUM LONGUETEAU

Rum - Spiced

Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
Cruzan No. 9 Spiced Rum
Hurricane Harry’s Spiced Rum
Sailor Jerry’s

Rum - Standard

Mount Gay Rum
Blackwell Gold Rum
Diplomatico Reserva
Bacardi 8 year old
Grand Reserve Plantation Rum
Bacardi 151
Mount Gay XO
Angostura 1919
El Dorado 12 Year Old

Rum - Flavoured

Malibu Coconut Rum
Malibu Berrylicious
Malibu Sundae

Whisky - Canadian

Alberta Premium Dark Horse
Black Velvet Toasted Caramel
Forty Creek Barrel Select
Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve
Forty Creek Copper Pot
Collingwood Whiskey
Tap 357
Lot 40 Copper Still
Canadian Club Sherry Cask
Canadian Club 12 Year Old
Sortilege
Sortilege Prestige
MASTERSONS 10 YEARS OLD STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY

Whiskey - Irish

Irishman 70
Jameson 12 Year Old
Bushmills Black Bush
Connemara Peated SIngle Malt Irish Whiskey

Whiskey - Scotch

Ardmore Traditional Cask
Isle of Jura Superstition
Amrut Fusion
Glenmorangie Original
Glenfiddich 15 Year Old
Talisker 10 Year Old
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old
Highland Park 15 Year Old
Glen Garioch Founders Reserve
Chivas Regal 18 Year
Laphroaig 10 Year Old
Aberlour 12 Year Old
AUCHENTOSHAN 12 YEARS OLD
Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra
Glenlivet 18yr old
GLENMORANGIE QUINTA RUBAN
Bowmore Darkest 15yr
LAGAVULIN 16 YEARS OLD

Whiskey - American / Bourbon

Buffalo Trace White Dog
Buffalo Trace Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
Bulleit Bourbon
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Knob Creek Bourbon
Blanton’s Bourbon
Cyrus Bourbon
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon
1792 RIDGEMONT RESERVE BARREL
Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr Small Batch
Angel’s Envy Bourbon
Gentleman Jack
Sazerac Rye 6yr

Vodka

Stoli Elite
Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka
Sobieski
Whipped Cream Vodka
Cake Vodka
Chocolate Vodka

Gin

Citadelle
Broker’s
Hendrick’s
Beefeater
Plymouth
Bluecoat Gin
The Botanist

Tequila

El Jimador Reposado
El Jimador Blanco
Cazadores Anejo
Milagro Silver Tequila

Mezcal

Jaral de Berrio
Zacbe Reposado

Sotol

SOTOL HACIENDA DE CHIHUAHUA PLATA

Calvados / Apple Brandy

Calvados Boulard
Laird’s Applejack

Pisco

Pisco Aba
PISCO SOLDEICA

Cognac / Armagnac / Brandy

E&J XO Brandy
Janneau Grand Armagnac
DELORD 25 YEARS OLD BAS ARMAGNAC
Plum Brandy
Hennessy Black
Courvoisier 12 Year Old

Other Liquors

Lucid Absinthe
Zen Green Tea Liquor
Schloss Kirsch

Liqueur - Fruit

Chambord
Xante
St-Germain Elderflower
Pama Pomegranate
Alize Bleu
Southern Comfort
Luxardo Maraschino
Grand Marnier
Sour Puss Lemon
Bols Blue
Labbe Francois Cassis
Hayman’s Sloe Gin
Triple Sec
Golden Pear
Heering Cherry Liqueur
Creme de Banane
Cherry Brandy
Apricot Brandy
Peach Schnapps
Melon Liqueur
Soho Lychee
Countreau
Hypnotiq
Seve
Luxardo Limoncello
Creme de Violette
Creme Vyette
Sour Puss Raspberry Liquour
LAPPONIA LAKKA CLOUDBERRY LIQUEUR

Liqueur - Nut / Dessert

Frangelico
Roasted Chestnut Liqueur
Luxardo Amaretto
Butter Ripple Schnapps
Creme de Cacao
Barenjager Honey Liqueur
Glazed Donut Liqueur
Blueberry Pancake Liqueur
Whipped Cream Liqueur
Kahlua
CRIOLLO CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY LIQUOR
Criollo Salted Caramel

Liqueur - Other

Strega
Cynar
Fireball Whiskey
Aperol
Campari
Fernet Branca
Nonino Quintessentia Amaro
Peppermint Schnapps
Green Chartreuse
Skinos Mastiha
Drambuie
King’s Ginger Liqueur
Benedictine
Anice
Pimm’s Cup
Galliano
Dancing Pines Chai Liqueur
Domaine de Canton
Xaica Hibiscus flower liquor
Vermouth / Fortified Wine

Vermouth/Fortified Wine

Lillet Rose (out)
Lillet Blanc
White Dry Vermouth
Sweet Vermouth
Dubonnet Rouge

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I made something last night after a Last Word, a Diamondback, and a Martini. So I fully admit what I made for the fourth cocktail might have tasted like poo poo, but I think it was good.

I made a variation on a Derby

50 ml Rittenhouse Rye
50 ml Laird's Apple Brandy
50 ml Sweet Vermouth
50 ml Cointreau
75ml Lime Juice
25 ml Marachino Liquer

I could taste the apple, orange, lime and almond with rye spice in the background. I don't think the vermouth did much besides contribute some background spice, but all in all it was delicious. Lingering flavor of citrus and almond post swallow.

I'm going to make another one on Sunday, maybe gently caress around a little with the percentages and up the Rye and Brandy to 75ml, but I think it was a good boozy fall cocktail.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Devoz posted:

Yellow Chartreuse. It's got a very different taste from the Green and makes some really nice drinks. Mix it with Cynar or Ginger Liqueur and a base liquor of your choice.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

It's loving delicious. Not at all what I was expecting it to taste like, but better somehow. It's so fresh and crisp, a perfect blend of the herbs in both the gin and Chartreuse, with a light almond note and citrus from the lime playing in the background. It's not sweet really at all. It's just brilliant. I can't emphasize this enough, everyone needs to try this cocktail to show what a REAL cocktail is capable of pulling off.
I always use the Last Word as an example of how great cocktails can really be with people; sure, I'd prefer to drink an Old Fashioned or a Whiskey Sour, but they're very dependent on what the whiskey you use tastes like. Last Words are a loving wonderful cocktail that really bring out what makes cocktails great, in my opinion.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Devoz posted:

Rum - Aged:

Ron Zacapa 23
El Dorado 21 Year Old
Angostura 1824
HAVANA CLUB SELECCION DE MAESTROS

Rum – White / Cachaca

El Dorado 6 Year Old Silver Rum
Leblon Cachaca
DOMAINE DE MARQUISAT DE STE MARIE RHUM LONGUETEAU

Rum - Spiced

Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
Cruzan No. 9 Spiced Rum
Hurricane Harry’s Spiced Rum
Sailor Jerry’s

Rum - Standard

Mount Gay Rum
Blackwell Gold Rum
Diplomatico Reserva
Bacardi 8 year old
Grand Reserve Plantation Rum
Bacardi 151
Mount Gay XO
Angostura 1919
El Dorado 12 Year Old

Rum - Flavoured

Malibu Coconut Rum
Malibu Berrylicious
Malibu Sundae

Whisky - Canadian

Alberta Premium Dark Horse
Black Velvet Toasted Caramel
Forty Creek Barrel Select
Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve
Forty Creek Copper Pot
Collingwood Whiskey
Tap 357
Lot 40 Copper Still
Canadian Club Sherry Cask
Canadian Club 12 Year Old
Sortilege
Sortilege Prestige
MASTERSONS 10 YEARS OLD STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY

Whiskey - Irish

Irishman 70
Jameson 12 Year Old
Bushmills Black Bush
Connemara Peated SIngle Malt Irish Whiskey

Whiskey - Scotch

Ardmore Traditional Cask
Isle of Jura Superstition
Amrut Fusion
Glenmorangie Original
Glenfiddich 15 Year Old
Talisker 10 Year Old
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old
Highland Park 15 Year Old
Glen Garioch Founders Reserve
Chivas Regal 18 Year
Laphroaig 10 Year Old
Aberlour 12 Year Old
AUCHENTOSHAN 12 YEARS OLD
Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra
Glenlivet 18yr old
GLENMORANGIE QUINTA RUBAN
Bowmore Darkest 15yr
LAGAVULIN 16 YEARS OLD

Whiskey - American / Bourbon

Buffalo Trace White Dog
Buffalo Trace Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
Bulleit Bourbon
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Knob Creek Bourbon
Blanton’s Bourbon
Cyrus Bourbon
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon
1792 RIDGEMONT RESERVE BARREL
Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr Small Batch
Angel’s Envy Bourbon
Gentleman Jack
Sazerac Rye 6yr

Vodka

Stoli Elite
Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka
Sobieski
Whipped Cream Vodka
Cake Vodka
Chocolate Vodka

Gin

Citadelle
Broker’s
Hendrick’s
Beefeater
Plymouth
Bluecoat Gin
The Botanist

Tequila

El Jimador Reposado
El Jimador Blanco
Cazadores Anejo
Milagro Silver Tequila

Mezcal

Jaral de Berrio
Zacbe Reposado

Sotol

SOTOL HACIENDA DE CHIHUAHUA PLATA

Calvados / Apple Brandy

Calvados Boulard
Laird’s Applejack

Pisco

Pisco Aba
PISCO SOLDEICA

Cognac / Armagnac / Brandy

E&J XO Brandy
Janneau Grand Armagnac
DELORD 25 YEARS OLD BAS ARMAGNAC
Plum Brandy
Hennessy Black
Courvoisier 12 Year Old

Other Liquors

Lucid Absinthe
Zen Green Tea Liquor
Schloss Kirsch

Liqueur - Fruit

Chambord
Xante
St-Germain Elderflower
Pama Pomegranate
Alize Bleu
Southern Comfort
Luxardo Maraschino
Grand Marnier
Sour Puss Lemon
Bols Blue
Labbe Francois Cassis
Hayman’s Sloe Gin
Triple Sec
Golden Pear
Heering Cherry Liqueur
Creme de Banane
Cherry Brandy
Apricot Brandy
Peach Schnapps
Melon Liqueur
Soho Lychee
Countreau
Hypnotiq
Seve
Luxardo Limoncello
Creme de Violette
Creme Vyette
Sour Puss Raspberry Liquour
LAPPONIA LAKKA CLOUDBERRY LIQUEUR

Liqueur - Nut / Dessert

Frangelico
Roasted Chestnut Liqueur
Luxardo Amaretto
Butter Ripple Schnapps
Creme de Cacao
Barenjager Honey Liqueur
Glazed Donut Liqueur
Blueberry Pancake Liqueur
Whipped Cream Liqueur
Kahlua
CRIOLLO CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY LIQUOR
Criollo Salted Caramel

Liqueur - Other

Strega
Cynar
Fireball Whiskey
Aperol
Campari
Fernet Branca
Nonino Quintessentia Amaro
Peppermint Schnapps
Green Chartreuse
Skinos Mastiha
Drambuie
King’s Ginger Liqueur
Benedictine
Anice
Pimm’s Cup
Galliano
Dancing Pines Chai Liqueur
Domaine de Canton
Xaica Hibiscus flower liquor
Vermouth / Fortified Wine

Vermouth/Fortified Wine

Lillet Rose (out)
Lillet Blanc
White Dry Vermouth
Sweet Vermouth
Dubonnet Rouge

Me.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just made a proper old school Martinez tonight with marachino liquer, Bluecoat gin and sweet vermouth.

First, I have no idea how I got this far in life without marachino liquer. It's delicious.

Secondly, I've had an epiphany and realized I'm simply not a fan of plain Martinis. I have no idea how they get so much hype, at the current ratios it's basically a chilled shot of gin with a touch of vermouth. A Martinez has so much more flavor that it's incredible. I've started with a 1:1:1 ratio since that's how I found it in an old recipe, but I think next time I make it I'll up the gin to 1 and 1/2 parts and drop the others to 3/4 parts. It's a cocktail with big flavors, which I really enjoy.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

Fyi, I just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse yesterday at Cask. It was the only one on the shelf, so I'm not sure what their overall stock is. Also picked up some Smitch and Cross on your rum-thread recommendation and made an old fashioned. This is some crazy delicious stuff--thanks!

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Devoz posted:

Your scotch section has a serious lack of Ardbeg. I recommend fixing that post haste, good chap. The current Ardbog release, if you can find it, is the best embodiment of the distillery. And Islay malts in general.

rxcowboy posted:

Rittenhouse 100 proof is $94 a bottle here. gently caress Australia.

The cheapest drinkable bourbon you can get for mixing is probably either Makers Mark or Bulleit, both of which go for $40-45. Although I'll occasionally go with a sneaky Canadian Club for for $35.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I am currently in love with Green Chartreuse. Besides the Last Word and Diamondback, please provide me with more cocktails that showcase this liqueur.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Make a Greenpoint. The original recipe uses yellow Chartreuse, but it also tastes awesome using green.

2oz Rye
0.5oz sweet vermouth
0.5oz green or yellow Chartreuse
2 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash orange bitters
stir/strain/coupe/orange peel

A Bijou is also a classic drink using the green

1.5oz gin
0.75 sweet vermouth
0.75 Green Chartreuse
2 dash orange bitters
stir/strain/coupe/orange peel

The Chartreuse Swizzle is also amazing if you have good pineapple juice

1.25oz Green Chartreuse
0.5oz falernum
1oz pineapple juice
0.5oz lime
shake/strain/serve over crushed ice

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

rxcowboy posted:

So I am currently in love with Green Chartreuse. Besides the Last Word and Diamondback, please provide me with more cocktails that showcase this liqueur.

The Final Ward is a straightforward substitution that comes out great. Sub rye whiskey for the gin and lemon juice for lime in a Last Word.

If you want to make a drink to finish your night, try the Diamondback. 2 parts rye whiskey (Rittenhouse preferred), 1 part apple brandy (Laird's bonded) and 1 part green chartreuse.

I just mixed myself a Zephyr tonight, which was 2 oz gin, 0.5 oz lillet, 0.5 oz green chartreuse, which was rather nice, like a chartreuse-tinged martini.

But if you really love Green Chartreuse, throw some in the freezer and just sip a shot of it chilled. Sublime.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I did that thing where I made a painfully simple drink, and now I don't know what I want to call it because I gotta assume someone's at least done something similar before and I'm the kind of dumb nerd that thinks consistent drink taxonomies are important. It's kinda like a tequila riff on an Old Maid, but not really, so if anyone has any better suggestions for names, hit me up because i've literally called it "tequila punch" when pressed by a customer because I'm really bad at coming up with names, and if it already has a name I'd probably like to know it so I'm not just biting some other dudes poo poo.

60 tequila
45-50 cloudy apple juice
15-20 ginger syrup (I use a macerated ginger syrup to keep the spiciness instead of a cooked one, ginger juice/sugar also works)
muddled cucumber (a decent amount, probably the most you could fit into a boston without it becoming a huge pain, like 3 cms from the bottom?)
dash of angostura

shake and strain into fairly large collins glass over ice

I'm sorry about all the metric poo poo but I just can't bear to use ozs cause I'm really indecisive with what measurements I like for a drink and metric lets me have that little bit of wiggle room when describing drinks to peple

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 12, 2013

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I have some Bacardi Gold that I'm thoroughly regretting buying. I'm infusing most of it but there's still some left that I am tempted to set fires with. I have some fresh pineapple hangning out in the fridge; would pinapple mash, brown sugar and bad rum work? I guess we'll find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Since bluecoat isn't available to me up in Canada, what is a good gin for drinks like a last word and a martinez? Right now I have a bottle of Bombay, and about half a bottle left of the Botanist.

Also, other then making falernum what is a good use for some Wray and Nephew overproof rum?