Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think you might need to limit it to production only because there were about ten million terrible prototype planes (see: nuclear powered bombers, Thunderscreech, etc)

the Thunderstreak was pretty terrible too, wasn't it? Like it started getting phased out basically the day after it went into active service? That's kind of boring though, it's nowhere near as spectacularly bad as some.

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The Su-25TM and Mig-27. They put the GSh-6-30 (a 6 barreled 30mm cannon) on them to fulfill a similar role as the more powerful 30mm cannon on the A-10. The pilots hated that it shook the aircraft violently when fired and was painfully loud in the cockpit but the best part is that when fired in either aircraft the following list of things could/would happen:

1) Destroying the landing lights pretty much always. The runways they used had to be well lit for any night flights.
2) Cracking the gun sight.
3) Cracking and shaking apart the fuel tanks, radio, and avionics (causing them to fail).
4) Shooting down or severely damaging the aircraft firing it via fragmentation if fired while under 200m.
5) Warping the fuselage and forward landing gear doors, preventing them from opening.
6) Violently shaking the canopy, causing it to fly off during flight. Yep.
7) Causing the entire instrument panel to shake loose and fall off. Yeeeep.

The Su-25's were basically immediately refitted with the Gsh-2-30 because gently caress that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah production I think. Planes that were in active service and pilots dreaded being assigned to.

/\/\ were the mig 23s alright but the 27s bad?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

priznat posted:

Yeah production I think. Planes that were in active service and pilots dreaded being assigned to.

The MiG-23 had a GSh-23 so it probably wouldn't shoot itself down. Which is just :stare:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

priznat posted:

Starfighters had terrible loss rates but a lot of that was using them improperly. They're pretty cool looking.

Is that the one pilots and crews nicknamed "Lawn Dart?"

If it is that's something I'd sooner not fly, personally.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fearless posted:

The AMI had a very low accident rate compared to the Germans, which might reflect badly on the Italians since they probably weren't as 'hard chargin'.

Of course the Luftwaffe got a high speed interceptor doing low-level fighter bombing in a very young and inexperienced force through massive graft so gently caress that.

priznat posted:

I'd like to see a list of the worst Cold War planes, both com bloc and western.

Some less successful designs that got into series production:

Myasishchev M-4
Vickers Valiant
F-102
Tu-22

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Forger's already been posted, that would be my go-to. In the tropics it could sometimes only take off with minimal fuel and no weapons.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If transports count, the Antonov An-10 sounds like it was a bit of a dog. More of an airliner than a Cold War plane, though.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fearless posted:

The F-16 is the "lawn dart," the F-104 was the even-more-appealing "flying coffin."

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Xerxes17 posted:

Me and Rossmum have talked about this before. With WoR it just kinda goes "We have this weapon, it was good but it had problem X, in year A, problem was resolved and combat properties were improved. It served long and faithfully for 4 decades."

Yeah. I enjoy WoR. It reminds me of the old Discovery/History Channel military shows which were presented in a kind of dry, but interesting way. The narrators were chill, the shows had actual footage and content, etc. It wasn't the most factually accurate stuff ever, but it was interesting and you could maybe learn some stuff. Some of the interviews they did with old vets were seriously :smith:

Now just about every show is the most intolerable poo poo ever. The narrators sound like coked up frat boys, there are dumb CG cinematics for every loving thing, and it's always the dumbest overly dramatic bullshit and nationalistic dick waving over everything. It's a half-step away from Michael Bay's Military History. I miss tolerable military TV.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I miss when Discovery and History channel aired actual documentaries. Nowadays it's just "After the End", Pawn Stars knock off #46, Mythbuster Knock Off #192 and Canada's Worst Driver... Ok, Canada's Worst Driver is redeemable on account of being funny as poo poo.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FrozenVent posted:

I miss when Discovery and History channel aired actual documentaries. Nowadays it's just "After the End", Pawn Stars knock off #46, Mythbuster Knock Off #192 and Canada's Worst Driver... Ok, Canada's Worst Driver is redeemable on account of being funny as poo poo.

Don't forget "Ancient Aliens" and other similar bullshit.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

priznat posted:

The Mig-23 was fine. Hell, the MiG-27 was fine until the gun was fired!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I wonder if a Northrop Scorpion belongs on the list. Goddamn enormous nuclear-and-conventional rocket armed interceptor. Primarily famous for launching the Genie nuclear air-to-air rocket for the Plumbbob John test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZ7FQHTaR4

But it also participated without distinction in the Battle of Palmdale.

In 1956, an F6F-5K Hellcat target drone stopped responding to commands, so concerned that the drone might fly over populated areas and crash, they scrambled two F-89 Scorpion interceptors to shoot it down. The F-89 had two pods of folding fin air to air rockets and no guns. They pair of interceptors expended 200 rockets against a WWII era non-manuvering prop airplane without doing it noticable damage. They did, however do a fair amount of damage to property and start a number of fires in Northern LA county. Eventually the Hellcat ran out of fuel and crashed in the Mojave.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/sep/11/local/me-then11

So, it had a miserable combat record, but they didn't crash that many trying to fly them...so undecided.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 10, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Warbadger posted:

The Mig-23 was fine. Hell, the MiG-27 was fine until the gun was fired!

Ahhh yes.. I thought it might have something to do with that big funky stabilizer under the tail.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

FrozenVent posted:

These days they've just shuffled those off to their side channels that few people really care about (or have I guess). Which is a bit of a shame. :(
(Also finding older Discovery documentaries are an utter loving pain occasionally.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I thought about mentioning the Scorpion but it's more a victim of a really silly Air Force weapon spec request than being a bad airframe per se.

Practically everything that jumped off a carrier between the F4U / AD generation and the F8U/A4 was pretty much crap, including the various bombers, support planes etc. They were almost all lousy in whatever their intended roles were, with the real distinguishers being which airframes were more likely to kill you on takeoff / landing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought about mentioning the Scorpion but it's more a victim of a really silly Air Force weapon spec request than being a bad airframe per se.

Practically everything that jumped off a carrier between the F4U / AD generation and the F8U/A4 was pretty much crap, including the various bombers, support planes etc. They were almost all lousy in whatever their intended roles were, with the real distinguishers being which airframes were more likely to kill you on takeoff / landing.

You take that back right godamned now:

Ed Heinemann won the Collier Trophy for the Skyray. Interceptors and Gun-armed fighters for LIFE. :colbert:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
The A-1 begs to differ.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The AD is the A-1.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Anyone else see a toilet on a pylon on that Skyraider's wing?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Fearless posted:

Anyone else see a toilet on a pylon on that Skyraider's wing?
:thejoke: I really hope the whole crew involved took dumps in that before strapping it on.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The AD is the A-1.

:doh: Sorry.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

grover posted:

:thejoke: I really hope the whole crew involved took dumps in that before strapping it on.

According to one of my uncles (who was an RCN/RCAF pilot aeons ago) Canadian Sea King crews used to... uh... "refill" boxed lunches with their own additions and then drop them out of the sonar buoy chute while flying over the Soviet SIGINT trawlers usually loitering around Halifax.

At least, I hope they were Soviet SIGINT trawlers.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 10, 2013

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
What is happening in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7cf-Q9nI8&t=48m45s

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Fearless posted:

According to one of my uncles (who was an RCN/RCAF pilot aeons ago) Canadian Sea King crews used to... uh... "refill" boxed lunches with their own additions and then drop them out of the sonar buoy chute while flying over the Soviet SIGINT trawlers usually loitering around Halifax.

At least, I hope they were Soviet SIGINT trawlers.
Way to just spoonfeed enemy spies critical intelligence on fleet nutritional readiness :colbert:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

grover posted:

Way to just spoonfeed enemy spies critical intelligence on fleet nutritional readiness :colbert:

Having eaten a CF issued boxed lunch on many occasions, I can tell you that one filled with excrement is a marked improvement over what they initially contain.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
nuuuuuukes iiiinnnn ssspppppaaaaaaaccceeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OS8kNn_2Ro
Interesting 52-minute video about US's high-altitude nuclear test program.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Starfighters had terrible loss rates but a lot of that was using them improperly. They're pretty cool looking.

Anyone using that thing as an attack aircraft is just baffling. It is like buying a Lamborghini and then using it to haul gravel and then wondering why the suspension is shot and there are scratches all over it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

bewbies posted:

Anyone using that thing as an attack aircraft is just baffling. It is like buying a Lamborghini and then using it to haul gravel and then wondering why the suspension is shot and there are scratches all over it.

"I've decided that the Lockheed F-104 is the best aircraft for every possible role in our nation's Air Force, from interceptor to strategic transport, and I'm confident in our pilots' ability to make it work. Now, does anyone know where I can deposit $1.1 million in cash?"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Wasn't there something about tiny thin wings with high wing loading being superior for low altitude transsonic strike? Not safer, mind, but knocked around less and higher speed or something.

It seems like another 'more of a dumb mission from the start than a bad plane' scenario.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Wasn't there something about tiny thin wings with high wing loading being superior for low altitude transsonic strike? Not safer, mind, but knocked around less and higher speed or something.

It seems like another 'more of a dumb mission from the start than a bad plane' scenario.

Yeah, the F-104 has very high wing loading, which makes it more stable in sudden down or updrafts. It's not clear that using a different aircraft for the same missions would have been any better.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What made the Starfighter's ground-attack mission different? Was it doing supersonic low level bombing as opposed to subsonic?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wasn't it something like supersonic low-level nuclear tactical bombing?

So you know, something so utterly insane it shouldn't ever have been done outside of video games ever?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
The Doolittle raiders cracked the cognac today.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/final-toast-wwii-doolittle-raiders-peace

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

grover posted:

nuuuuuukes iiiinnnn ssspppppaaaaaaaccceeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OS8kNn_2Ro
Interesting 52-minute video about US's high-altitude nuclear test program.

Love this. I had a DVD 3-pack years ago that had Nukes in Space, Trinity and Beyond and one more documentary that I can't remember but it was the most boring of the three. It even came with 3D glasses so you could watch a nuke go off in 3D :science:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Wasn't it something like supersonic low-level nuclear tactical bombing?

So you know, something so utterly insane it shouldn't ever have been done outside of video games ever?

I'm sure 'all-weather' was thrown in there, too.

Super-low-level flight is hard as hell in the best of conditions, when the B-52 was switched from high- to low- altitude strike profiles they had a bunch flat out break apart from the stresses before they figured out what needed changing.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
When did everything go back to all high altitude strikes? It seems like the low-altitude bombing thing isn't very much in vogue anymore.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mortabis posted:

When did everything go back to all high altitude strikes? It seems like the low-altitude bombing thing isn't very much in vogue anymore.

MANPADS got a heck of a whole lot better, and the people getting bombed these days don't have much by way of an integrated air defense network. Also, stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm sure 'all-weather' was thrown in there, too.

Super-low-level flight is hard as hell in the best of conditions, when the B-52 was switched from high- to low- altitude strike profiles they had a bunch flat out break apart from the stresses before they figured out what needed changing.

One of the British V bombers, the Valiant, developed serious stress fractures from it being forced into the low-level strike missions that the RAF had it flying. It was taken off of nuclear missions as a result about 10 years after being introduced.