Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Paying Twitter Whores For Tweets: A Trip Report.

I paid some twitter dude with 73.3k followers $5 to tweet my facebook page a few times.

An hour later I have 30 new facebook likes. Of course, I don't think they'll convert at all, but I need the facebook advertising options and that requires likes, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
Invision, I am trying to view your site in both firefox and safari, but all I get is this when I visit your URL:

Anyone else have this problem?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Stryguy posted:

Invision, I am trying to view your site in both firefox and safari, but all I get is this when I visit your URL:

Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, that's my old site. Forgot to renew the domain and then that happened. Whoops.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

What the hell do you people use for registars? Mine annoys the hell out of me bordering on spam to renew my domains. I love it because it makes me not put it off after a couple of days. They start at about 30 days to renew and the emails increase as it gets closer. I immediately renew not to get bombarded.

mewse
May 2, 2006

jabro posted:

What the hell do you people use for registars? Mine annoys the hell out of me bordering on spam to renew my domains. I love it because it makes me not put it off after a couple of days. They start at about 30 days to renew and the emails increase as it gets closer. I immediately renew not to get bombarded.

I use gandi.

There's a webhosting thread in SH/SC that talks about registrars occasionally.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mewse posted:

I use gandi.

There's a webhosting thread in SH/SC that talks about registrars occasionally.

That wasn't I need a new registrar post but a I can't see how people can forget to renew domain post.

mewse
May 2, 2006

In my defense, I am completely illiterate

invision
Mar 2, 2009

jabro posted:

The bank account that the auto-renew was tied to was empty, and I was doing national guard stuff for two weeks where I had no internet or cell service. It lapsed during the two weeks. Totally my fault.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

jabro posted:

I registrar through HostGator, with AutoRenew turned on - I get one email that I have a new invoice, and I go pay it ($15). If I don't, they'll charge me the $15 automatically when it's due.
I don't understand the rush to get the maximum cheapest hosting solutions possible. I used to be one of those people, but every one of them that had rock bottom rates had *something* that irritated the living poo poo out of me, from the aforementioned Domain Renewal Spam (which does serve a purpose, I suppose) to not being able to select what day of the month I was billed on.
I finally have HostGator a whack, signed up for the Baby plan, and it's been so completely trouble free. I'm running 7 different sites, and it's costing me $10/mo., plus $15/year for each domain.

I know I could get it all done for less annual cost, but how much is "time I could be spending doing something, ANYTHING, else" worth...

Sorry for sounding like a commercial. Ugh.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Name.com works fine for me. I'm pretty low maintenance but it's real easy to update the name servers & set billing to autorenew. They only email you when your card gets declined really.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

In my defense, I am completely illiterate

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sancho posted:

Name.com works fine for me. I'm pretty low maintenance but it's real easy to update the name servers & set billing to autorenew. They only email you when your card gets declined really.

I use name.com with my 20+ domains and I love them. Highly recommended.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I use namecheap and have no complaints. Especially after one problem I had. One night I drunk domained and didn't even remember until about 15 hours later when I saw the emails. I noticed it was spelled incorrectly so I contacted them and they refunded the money back to me except the ICANN fee. They could have easily said they were not responsible for misspellings and been completely correct.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I also use namecheap and have no problems. I guess they do sort of spam you when renewals are coming. But I expect that. One email a week or whatever when its under 30 days seems reasonable. What's better is that I don't get any other promotional emails from them, unlike pretty much every other company that I've given my email address to. They've also been very quick with any questions or issues I've had.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

New Tactic: Paying Twitter Whores to tweet my link to an affiliate thing that gives out a high CPA. $5 spent on 5 tweets, $15 in profit.

Drunken Warlord
Jul 8, 2013

It's a dogs life.

invision posted:

New Tactic: Paying Twitter Whores to tweet my link to an affiliate thing that gives out a high CPA. $5 spent on 5 tweets, $15 in profit.

So where are you finding these guys who send out tweets? Fiverr or some other site?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Drunken Warlord posted:

So where are you finding these guys who send out tweets? Fiverr or some other site?

Just stumbling across people on twitter with a large number of followers, then sending them a message.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone is still doing this I've started up the #blogging IRC channel on Synirc. Hope to keep it going at least through the holidays where there's some good money to be made.

invision posted:

They just killed that campaign so try to find something else.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I have a question that I'm too dumb to figure out.

Almost all of my traffic comes from "Direct" in Google Analytics, and I get that it means that people are typing it in the address bar--but this just started out of nowhere this week and my visitors aren't all in one city/country/etc. Word of mouth doesn't really make any sense and my site's name didn't pop up in a forum or anything when I searched for it.

I mean, I only really did anything with the site for like a month and then let it rot so we're talking a volume of 1-6 unique vistors per day last week that is now 10-20 unique visitors per day--so really I'm just curious and it probably is just some normal thing!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

FCKGW posted:

If anyone is still doing this I've started up the #blogging IRC channel on Synirc. Hope to keep it going at least through the holidays where there's some good money to be made.

They just killed that campaign so try to find something else.

Wait, do what? It still shows up for me.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I have a question that I'm too dumb to figure out.

Almost all of my traffic comes from "Direct" in Google Analytics, and I get that it means that people are typing it in the address bar--but this just started out of nowhere this week and my visitors aren't all in one city/country/etc. Word of mouth doesn't really make any sense and my site's name didn't pop up in a forum or anything when I searched for it.

I mean, I only really did anything with the site for like a month and then let it rot so we're talking a volume of 1-6 unique vistors per day last week that is now 10-20 unique visitors per day--so really I'm just curious and it probably is just some normal thing!

You're not dumb. Direct also means that GA can't determine the referrer for any number of technical reasons. There may be a referral shield (black hat sites tend to do this often) or SSL may be involved. For any browser that turns on https in Google by default (most notably Mobile Safari), you'll also see traffic as Direct or just from Google with no keyword data.

This is a big deal in the analytics world and there are a number of ways to estimate - but never really know - the true sources of your traffic. Consider paying for an SEO tool or running some small test Adwords campaigns to get a feel for the volume from individual keywords.

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
A portion of my post from another thread that I would like to use here to parlay into another question. I work at an Auto Dealership for context.

"...One problem I anticipate for myself and I'd love to get some ideas... One of the things that helped me be the top salesman at my former dealership and has allowed me to quickly approach 15 cars in my first month at this dealership is Craigslist. They just announced they are going to start charging $5 per ad in the 'vehicles for sale by dealer' sections of the site so this will change things dramatically. We have 700+ vehicles in stock, clearly I can't afford to put them all up, and I suspect there are lots of others like me and small dealerships who are going to be forced or choose to abandon Craigslist.

My question is, how to replace these leads and how to most effectively generate online business without Craigslist? Ebay classifieds comes to mind but the traffic has to be a fraction of what Craigslist pulls..."

I was thinking that since we don't have an active dealership blog yet that it might be a worthwhile experiment but how can I justify duplicating all these ads that are essentially content that already exists on our primary website?

How else could I approach this from 'outside the box' to generate some unique visitors and traffic to my blog posts (specific car ads)?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Krono99 posted:

A portion of my post from another thread that I would like to use here to parlay into another question. I work at an Auto Dealership for context.

"...One problem I anticipate for myself and I'd love to get some ideas... One of the things that helped me be the top salesman at my former dealership and has allowed me to quickly approach 15 cars in my first month at this dealership is Craigslist. They just announced they are going to start charging $5 per ad in the 'vehicles for sale by dealer' sections of the site so this will change things dramatically. We have 700+ vehicles in stock, clearly I can't afford to put them all up, and I suspect there are lots of others like me and small dealerships who are going to be forced or choose to abandon Craigslist.

My question is, how to replace these leads and how to most effectively generate online business without Craigslist? Ebay classifieds comes to mind but the traffic has to be a fraction of what Craigslist pulls..."

I was thinking that since we don't have an active dealership blog yet that it might be a worthwhile experiment but how can I justify duplicating all these ads that are essentially content that already exists on our primary website?

How else could I approach this from 'outside the box' to generate some unique visitors and traffic to my blog posts (specific car ads)?
I'm going to answer this not from a blogging perspective, but as someone on the other side of the screen - someone who recently bought a car, and used Craigslist, and quickly stopped using Craigslist because of lovely posters.
A) Don't put all your loving cars on Craigslist. Cherrypick the interesting ones. I can get a Camry or Corolla or Accord from any dealer. Showcase your intersting poo poo. The cars that people are going to have searches set up on If This Then That for.
B) Don't post every loving car every loving day. I can't help but believe that behavior is one of the primary reasons for the change in CL Policy - Posting the same car every single day does nothing to make me want to buy your car, especially because you're making GBS threads up the listings with (a real example here) 14 listings for the same fugly Gold 2008 Chevy Malibu Maxx, one for every day you've been sitting on that shitpile. After the change, you'll still be able to do that, but it'll be *expensive*.

I'd be inclined to stick with Craigslist - one car per day, 4-5 days per week. Rather than casting a wide net, focus on getting someone in the door who's willing to pay a little more for a very specific sort of car in good shape, particularly if your dealership has access to doing some decent refurbishing.
An example that comes to mind would be late 90's-mid-2000's BMW M3s. You can find E36 M3s for private party sale for $5000 all day long, pretty much everywhere in the country. Get them in, clean them up (check the Detailling thread in AI, and do a proper job), throw $500-600 (retail - I did mine in 2 hours for ~$230 in parts) worth of cooling system (water pump and housing, radiator, hoses, fluid) and an oil change at them, post the invoice for the cooling system refresh in the ad, mark the car up to $8500, and watch it fly out the door at $7000.
I imagine Audi S4s have similar 'common, but easy to fix maintenance debt items', with similar markups available.

Were it me, that's where I'd go.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Krono99 posted:

I never thought I'd say this sentence, but I agree with Kenny Rogers.

How are a handful of $5 posts per car supposed to be unprofitable for car sales?

I applaud the initiative to always try new methods and be questioning - I'm sure the sales managers love that - but closing comes from finding what works and exploiting the hell out of it. Unlike most people on the Internet, you already know what works.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004
On a separate note, my first blog is getting consistent hits with little effort but CPC has fallen all the way down to $0.12. As of two years ago (the last time I actively updated the blog) it was around $0.60, so the trend is definitely downward.

I haven't tweaked any ad settings in literally years. The last thing I did was add a blacklist of lesser ad providers. Is there anything else I should be doing?

e: typo

snagger fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 30, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Black Friday niche blog was a big success.

I also made a few hundred from SkimLinks as well, I'm really digging their system. Any link to one of their retail partners is monetized, no special links or coding is required.

I had to watch the site constantly and upgrade my VPS 4 times, ultimately going to a 12 core 32gb system to handle the spikes and load. I think I'm going to put some of this money into having someone build me a new site for next year and maybe moving off wordpress.

I just wish this lasted more than 2 weeks out of the year.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Black Friday niche blog was a big success.

I also made a few hundred from SkimLinks as well, I'm really digging their system. Any link to one of their retail partners is monetized, no special links or coding is required.

I had to watch the site constantly and upgrade my VPS 4 times, ultimately going to a 12 core 32gb system to handle the spikes and load. I think I'm going to put some of this money into having someone build me a new site for next year and maybe moving off wordpress.

I just wish this lasted more than 2 weeks out of the year.

Nice! I was wondering when you would post. How exactly does SkimLinks work? It looks interesting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Omits-Bagels posted:

Nice! I was wondering when you would post. How exactly does SkimLinks work? It looks interesting.

It's actually super easy. If you're running Wordpress you just install the plugin and insert your Skimlinks ID. Any link you put on your site, if it's in the Skimlinks network, will be converted on-the-fly to an affiliate link. So for example if you post a straight link to a TV on Best Buy, when a user clicks on the link they get routed through the Skimlinks network and you get the referral. It's pretty seamless.

Skimlinks has a pretty large merchant network and many referral payouts are actually higher than what you'd get if you signed up yourself because they're a larger network and can drive more traffic and get a better payout. For example an Amazon link through Skimlinks pays 6.5% referral whereas you'd get only 4% by yourself until you hit a certain order threshold.

They also have Skimwords which adds inline links to content and product showcase which shows relevant items based on keyword content.

Skimlinks isn't the only system like this out there, but it's what Pinterest uses/used to monetize their site so I thought they were pretty legit.

I'm not trying to pump them up too much but if you have a blog focused on reviews or promoting products it's the easiest way to monetize those links, especially if you want to expand beyond Amazon. Most of my Skimlinks revenue came from a Best Buy HDTV roundup I did and I just linked to the products like normal.

If you wanna know more or sign up they have a referral network so PM me and I can share some stats.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 30, 2013

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

FCKGW posted:

If you wanna know more or sign up they have a referral network so PM me and I can share some stats.
I tried doing the same with VIGLink, only it never really worked for me.
I'm hella switching.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Skimlinks takes a couple days to tally affiliate sales so the total doubled since I last posted.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Skimlinks takes a couple days to tally affiliate sales so the total doubled since I last posted.

I wonder if I can turn off Skimlinks for just Amazon. I do pretty well with Amazon already so I'd be worse off if they took a 25% cut. But for other sights it would be nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Omits-Bagels posted:

I wonder if I can turn off Skimlinks for just Amazon. I do pretty well with Amazon already so I'd be worse off if they took a 25% cut. But for other sights it would be nice.

Yes, you can. In fact, it's off by default, you have to tell it to rewrite Amazon URLs if you want.

You also have to remember that they take a cut of the referral fee, but they can also get a higher fee than and individual affiliate might be able to negotiate. So a 25% cut of the referral fee may still be more than whatever lowest fee you can get from Amazon. If you start making enough sales to be in the 6.5%+ range then you're probably better going direct.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Yes, you can. In fact, it's off by default, you have to tell it to rewrite Amazon URLs if you want.

You also have to remember that they take a cut of the referral fee, but they can also get a higher fee than and individual affiliate might be able to negotiate. So a 25% cut of the referral fee may still be more than whatever lowest fee you can get from Amazon. If you start making enough sales to be in the 6.5%+ range then you're probably better going direct.

Nice. thanks. Yeah, I'm making more than 6.5% on Amazon. I need to look more into this.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Thoughts on alternatives for those of use whose legislators hosed us out of getting funbux from Amazon Links?
Jesus, I was pissed when I found out CO was on Amazon's poo poo List.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kenny Rogers posted:

Thoughts on alternatives for those of use whose legislators hosed us out of getting funbux from Amazon Links?
Jesus, I was pissed when I found out CO was on Amazon's poo poo List.

The prevously mentioned Skimlinks will work. You may have to deal with slightly lower payouts depending on how much traffic you were sending before.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

One thing that popped into my head today was how important making your site mobile ready is. The majority of my traffic late Thursday was mobile and I figured mobile as a afterthought last year. This year I tweaked my template to be responsive and made sure I was serving the correct ads on mobile device (Adsense now has responsive ads). I figured this helped rise my revenue since last year's mobile rev was nonexistent.

If you have a blog look into making your theme responsive, or at the very least install plugin to make your site mobile ready. Jetpack has a pretty good mobile theme in their plugin settings and you can still plug in mobile ads as well.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

FCKGW posted:

One thing that popped into my head today was how important making your site mobile ready is. The majority of my traffic late Thursday was mobile and I figured mobile as a afterthought last year. This year I tweaked my template to be responsive and made sure I was serving the correct ads on mobile device (Adsense now has responsive ads). I figured this helped rise my revenue since last year's mobile rev was nonexistent.

If you have a blog look into making your theme responsive, or at the very least install plugin to make your site mobile ready. Jetpack has a pretty good mobile theme in their plugin settings and you can still plug in mobile ads as well.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a new theme for my astronomy site to go with a relaunch since I've let it languish for a long time. The current theme isnt responsive and yet a lot of people read the site on tablets so the current layout isnt that great. My problem though is with the colour scheme of a new theme and reusing the logo and stuff that I got done to match the old theme's colours.

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
I need to put together a blog for my auto sales, partially representing my dealership but primarily promoting myself, my customer sales, some of our inventory, etc.

But I work 60 hours a week and don't have the time to educate myself on the process properly, is there anyone here who is skilled, educated and willing to build a blog for me and set it up so I can easily make posts, link to pictures I take around the dealership and videos I post, etc?

I guess what I need is a 'blog manager' but how much does someone like that need to charge me for it to be reasonable for me yet fair for him?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Krono99 posted:

I need to put together a blog for my auto sales, partially representing my dealership but primarily promoting myself, my customer sales, some of our inventory, etc.

But I work 60 hours a week and don't have the time to educate myself on the process properly, is there anyone here who is skilled, educated and willing to build a blog for me and set it up so I can easily make posts, link to pictures I take around the dealership and videos I post, etc?

I guess what I need is a 'blog manager' but how much does someone like that need to charge me for it to be reasonable for me yet fair for him?

I know that at 60 hours a week any free time you get is very precious, but you can get a site on the go for only $10 a year hosting and maybe $55 for a theme that you can normally customise quite a bit - it will still look fairly stock but the odds of your website appearance exactly matching anybody elses is pretty slim. Its pretty easy to do as well. If I didnt have a lot of university work to do this christmas holiday I would throw my hat in the ring to set something up for you for maybe $100? It wouldnt be the greatest in the world but it would be at least serviceable.

And I also plan to update my own sites as I mentioned above - I managed to find a theme fitting my requirements from the same author as my current one on Themeforest, but for some reason the payment hasnt gone through - paypal says that its worked but no money has come out of my bank account, theres no confirmation email in my inbox and no new download for me on the DL section of Themeforest. I was kinda hoping I could upload the theme on my site tonight and tweak it around to go live in the next couple of days and add new content over the next couple of weeks as a break from my dissertation/exam revision. :(

EDIT:Paypal issues shook themselves out. Any comments on the new look? http://www.astronomyaggregator.com

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I haven't really done any work on them to make them any good but this thread inspired me to start 4 different blogs about my interests (internet music mixes, video games, personal drawings/creations, and let's play/esports videos).

They're all BlogSpot template blogs, I've done no keyword planning, and most of the posts come down to "here's a thing I watched and some rambling comments about it", but by focusing explicitly on things I enjoy I'm going to be able to keep making posts and eventually figure out what works and doesn't work for me when I finally put in the effort. Worse comes to worse, its just nice having a project :)

edit: Oh hey I can use keyword planner to find related keywords for topics I'm already posting about so I can cover them, very nice.

• Locked thread