Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

PureRok posted:

Ah man, loved how this episode was basically one giant homage to Aliens.

"Game over, man!" indeed.

I also took it as a homage to the old 1980s cartoon episode of the case of the killer pizzas which also was a homage to aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Did the 80s cartoon set up the base personalities for the turtles going forward or did the comics actually give them personalities?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The first issue doesn't have much for individual personalities but they definitely develop over time in the comics. The cartoon invented some stuff but it's ultimately rooted in the comics as far as I can see. The cartoon had Raphael as sarcastic instead of violently impulsive of course, he wasn't completely un-sarcastic all the time in the comics but it wasn't his major character feature as it is in the cartoon. I'd have to go compare issues to air dates (maybe even writing dates?) to really say anything particularly conclusive on the subject though I suppose. Quick wiki check tells me there were 12 issues of TMNT released by the time the first cartoon aired...so by then they would have had mostly action issues but also some introspective Northampton stuff, so yeah they probably already had at least the basics of their personalities down by then. I wonder if the TV show pre-production influenced it much, hmm.

A related post I made on a TMNT forum awhile back, spoilers for Mirage TMNT issue 1, if I need to warn about that: I think they have some personality in even the first issue. Issue 1 already has some hints of Mikey being the least "at home" in battle, as he's the one saying he's tired after the battle and holding his arm, etc. Raphael goes off on a solo mission (although it was orders this time) and jumps to be first to attack Shredder, Donatello thinks quickly and knocks away the grenade, Leonardo gives out orders and gives Shredder the chance to die honorably.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't the comic have things like Raphael becoming shredder and things of that nature too? It was decidedly more hardcore than the comics.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The original comics essentially gave them the personalities they've had in everything since, everything has been variations on that. The only one that's a serious variation in the current cartoon is Michelangelo, who is far more spacey and airheaded than he ever has been in the past.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
How much influence did the creators have on the cartoon? Did they work on it or write in any capacity?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dr_Amazing posted:

How much influence did the creators have on the cartoon? Did they work on it or write in any capacity?

Laird actually runs a blog where he sometimes posts correspondence he had during the 2003 show, it's sort of interesting: http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/

But you are probably not talking about that one. The current show I would guess they have zero input whatsoever on, as neither Eastman or Laird owns TMNT anymore. I think Laird is allowed to do a certain number of comics a year if he wants to but has not since the sale. Eastman works on the IDW comics but he's not in charge of the majority of creative control or anything.

For the first cartoon, they were definitely talked to a lot early on at least. I am not completely sure on it offhand, but I think their major contribution to that show in the long run was giving playmates ideas/designs for new characters (aka toys). I'm pretty sure one of them suggested a rhino mutant, for example. Wikipedia is saying Laird had "minimal" involvement with the show, which as far as plot and whatnot goes is probably true. I think one or both of them picked out the mask colors at some point too, but that's one of those stories I've heard a couple different ways and can't really remember much on. There's a lot of info about this out there I just can't recall where I read it, other than peppered across random threads on the technodrome forums.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, Laird seems to have deliberately taken a step away from the Turtles; his words regarding the sale pretty much spoke to needing a heavy need to stop being the "Turtles guy" for awhile.

Eastman has been just involved with the comic, maybe because he had enough of a break to be excited about them, maybe it was just a conflict with Laird, it's hard to say. Granted, Eastman was pretty dismissive of the whole franchise a decade ago, and now comes across as gushing and effusive. He's been extremely complimentary about the whole Nickelodeon cartoon... but he's similarly bombastic about the upcoming Bay production, even when everything that's been leaked regarding it is worrying at best. But then, he was really excited about Heavy Metal 2000, too. :(

Neither of them seem to have any involvement in the current cartoon, however.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure I've ever heard Eastman say anything negative about anything ever. Dude is always pumped as hell for whatever thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You know, I tried to source whatever-the-hell brought me to that conclusion and I think I put Peter's words in Kevin's mouth. Truth is, it's likely Kevin seems like he was probably more tired of the business end of the Turtles, not the Turtles themselves, mea culpa. It's amazing how those little tidbits created a false narrative in my head.

But I ran across this totally rad Kevin Eastman interview from '98, so I guess it all worked out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ah, here's something from the same interview, this about two years before Kev sold his share. Granted, this is fifteen years ago, and a lot has changed since then. :ssh:

Kevin Eastman posted:

I know we talked about over lunch, it’s like some days I loving never want to see another mutant turtle as long as I live. Other days, I still think I’ve got some fun stories to tell. But if there was an opportunity to sell the Turtles, both Pete and I have agreed to do that. For the right price, it’s poo poo or get off the pot.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I'm glad Splinter dropped the bomb shell at the end of the new episode. Makes a lot more sense for him to trust his family and work together with them instead of keeping secrets.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So Casey was introduced this episode. I don't really care as much about him as others do, so it's a shocker that this episode was so great.
Splinter and the turtles address Don's descent from just a lovestruck loner teen to Nice Guy Creep. The plot's doing this too, it's not exactly subtle how Donnie is not all too different than the mutagen man.
Timothy continues to be a very upsetting and well told storyline. I kind of wonder how the target audience reacts to such a horrific, sad, and gross sideplot. I like how there's no one telling everyone to respect the monster and all that. The show trusts the viewer to come to their own conclusion about Timothy.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I wonder how Casey is going to interact with the Turtles. I'm assuming he and Donny will have a rivalry, but I wonder if he'll buddy up with Mikey or Raph like he has in other Turtles media.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Did the 80s cartoon set up the base personalities for the turtles going forward or did the comics actually give them personalities?

The 80's cartoon literally set-up personalities in the theme song.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rita Repulsa posted:

Timothy continues to be a very upsetting and well told storyline. I kind of wonder how the target audience reacts to such a horrific, sad, and gross sideplot. I like how there's no one telling everyone to respect the monster and all that. The show trusts the viewer to come to their own conclusion about Timothy.

Well, Donatello obviously feels responsible, but once it turned out Timothy was just being a creeper a lot of that seemed to boil away.

One of the things that caught me though is that it's not clear what happened to Timothy after being frozen. Was he taken back by the Turtles? Did they just leave him there? I presume given cartoon physics that he's still alive, but I was surprised there wasn't a nod towards what happened to him.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Don said he's still looking for a cure. I assume he meant both Pulverizer and Dr. O'Neil.

It makes sense that Casey is in school since April is also younger but I really didn't see it coming. It looks like he will be a little less psycho than a lot of other adaptions.

I always thought it was weird that he's only in like 3 episodes of the 80s show when he's such a main character in every other version.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rita Repulsa posted:

Splinter and the turtles address Don's descent from just a lovestruck loner teen to Nice Guy Creep. The plot's doing this too, it's not exactly subtle how Donnie is not all too different than the mutagen man.

Splinter is perhaps one of the best parts of the new cartoon. The lines about helping Donnie learn to like falling down were fantastic. Really hoping that Donatello gets to cure Mutagen Man eventually, rather than him dying or staying a villain.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Well, I did not see that double-mutation stuff coming at all. I've just recently decided to watch this just because of nostalgia and boredom. I see the animators seem to have some fun from time to time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah I laughed out loud when I caught that pec-twitch. They certainly put a lot of work into animating those zits, to the point I was pretty uncomfortable watching them. :(

And the new mutation certainly was a surprise, though I'm not too hep to the new design. I really liked the old one and the new one doesn't feel like it's nearly as expressive or unique. Certainly an unexpected way to bring an old character back, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My favorite part was the note on the jar saying "Mikey, don't eat this."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So what's Aprils deal at this point? Just living at home alone? No one has noticed her dad missing or anything?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Nevermind that, how is she eating or getting money, you know, the basics?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There's a one-off line about her staying with her aunt, if my memory serves correctly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And the new mutation certainly was a surprise, though I'm not too hep to the new design. I really liked the old one and the new one doesn't feel like it's nearly as expressive or unique. Certainly an unexpected way to bring an old character back, though.

Can't say as I'm a fan of it either. I like that it's more svelte and meaner looking, but it took it too far and just doesn't fit with the show's aesthetic any more really because the rest of the enemies all have a kind of silly charm and cheesiness to them on some level or other and he's just kind of dark and grim looking instead.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

tsob posted:

Can't say as I'm a fan of it either. I like that it's more svelte and meaner looking, but it took it too far and just doesn't fit with the show's aesthetic any more really because the rest of the enemies all have a kind of silly charm and cheesiness to them on some level or other and he's just kind of dark and grim looking instead.

The bony quality probably looked fine in concept art, as an actual model he actually looks really frail and supernaturally emaciated. When we see the design again - and I'm sure we will - look at those upper legs. They look thin even for fleshless bones.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Casey's meant to be a kid instead of a body builder
The cgi probably doesn't do him justice

You know, I'm of two minds about the April-Turtles reunion. I don't like Don being rewarded for being weird, especially at the point where even his brothers are calling him creepy. And now we have a love triangle going like everything needs to post-Twilight.

But I do find April interesting. It seems to me why she returned wasn't because of any one thing specifically, but because "I never want to hold a grudge again". Her compassion has been her trademark and not wanting to hold on to hatred is consistent with that. All the characters are acting their age and making mistakes, and it bears to reason that April simply does not want to see Don sad when she feels like he has good intentions. Could go either way I guess. I also liked how the other turtles did not expect forgiveness and were quick to point out it was their fault. Just not wanting to hold on to hatred, even towards people who deserve it, is something I've had to deal with myself

Casey's story was pretty emotionally resounding without trying too hard. Really, TMNT has a lot of stories with No Happy Endings like Timothy's, it's surprising for such a colorful show.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad April recognized that what happened to her father was an accident and forgave the turtles.

I don't think we can call Donny a creep yet. Yes he still has romantic interests in April, but he hasn't been pushing his agenda lately. We'll have to see how he treats Casey and whether or not he tries to sabotage or mess with their relationship. Hopefully Splinter's lesson about letting people make their own decisions will stick.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Why is no one talking about fight scenes anymore? This episode was amazing! The chaotic climax with Chrome Dome was amazing and Raph using Mikey's weapons was a really cool move. As always, the screenplay continues to be stellar and just overall great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's hard to talk about a show that has yet to do anything to disappoint or provide anything to complain about.

The fight scenes ARE the best ones in animated television right now, yes.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TheFattestPat posted:

I'm glad April recognized that what happened to her father was an accident and forgave the turtles.

I don't think we can call Donny a creep yet. Yes he still has romantic interests in April, but he hasn't been pushing his agenda lately. We'll have to see how he treats Casey and whether or not he tries to sabotage or mess with their relationship. Hopefully Splinter's lesson about letting people make their own decisions will stick.

He's a freakish mutant of a completely different species hitting on a random human girl in a romantic/sexual way. The internet has shown me that any scenario in which this happens is goddamned creepy. That being said, that aspect of the series is the only major flaw the series has. (though I wish human foot soldiers were still useful enemies and were used more often)

horriblePencilist posted:

Why is no one talking about fight scenes anymore? This episode was amazing! The chaotic climax with Chrome Dome was amazing and Raph using Mikey's weapons was a really cool move. As always, the screenplay continues to be stellar and just overall great.

Because it's hard to come close to matching how awesome the finale of Shredder vs. Splinter is. Though I loved the casey vs. robot ninjas hockey battle.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
There's a new comic based on the show published by IDW. So far, it seems okay; the art is off at time, but it's not bad and the stories expand on April as an active member of the team.

Also:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rita Repulsa posted:

It's hard to talk about a show that has yet to do anything to disappoint or provide anything to complain about.

The fight scenes ARE the best ones in animated television right now, yes.

Only because the Legend of Korra just finished their season.

April thanking Donnie for stalking her (not really, but... kind of) was a bit weird. What's also a bit weird is that they've already reduced the threat poised by the footbots. Four highly trained ninjas couldn't hold their own, but a completely untrained kid in high school could destroy three of them... because he was on ice I guess? Yeah, I'm being a :reject: but if an entire episode is dedicated to how dangerous those things are at least keep some of the status quo.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

April thanking Donnie for stalking her (not really, but... kind of) was a bit weird. What's also a bit weird is that they've already reduced the threat poised by the footbots. Four highly trained ninjas couldn't hold their own, but a completely untrained kid in high school could destroy three of them... because he was on ice I guess? Yeah, I'm being a :reject: but if an entire episode is dedicated to how dangerous those things are at least keep some of the status quo.

Not just highly trained ninjas, ninjas with superhuman strength, reflexes, and durability due to mutation. Casey Jones has always been able to somehow hold his own against super-ninjas with nothing more than sports equipment and giant balls. It makes no sense but is loving awesome to see someone take down a bunch of ninjas with a golf club and a lacross stick.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rita Repulsa posted:

Casey's meant to be a kid instead of a body builder
The cgi probably doesn't do him justice

We were talking about Rahzar, not Casey. Casey's fine.

Kibayasu posted:

What's also a bit weird is that they've already reduced the threat poised by the footbots. Four highly trained ninjas couldn't hold their own, but a completely untrained kid in high school could destroy three of them... because he was on ice I guess? Yeah, I'm being a :reject: but if an entire episode is dedicated to how dangerous those things are at least keep some of the status quo.

Yeah, it's kind of odd. Maybe they don't have the adaptive functionality? It's a weak no-prize sort of explanation, I suppose, but it's possible.

MrJacobs posted:

Not just highly trained ninjas, ninjas with superhuman strength, reflexes, and durability due to mutation. Casey Jones has always been able to somehow hold his own against super-ninjas with nothing more than sports equipment and giant balls. It makes no sense but is loving awesome to see someone take down a bunch of ninjas with a golf club and a lacross stick.

In the original comic he holds off the Shredder at one point by himself, mainly just on account of being a maniac.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

If they hadn't so thoroughly kicked the turtles collective asses I'd be fine with it. But they had to retreat is a puff a smoke the first time we saw them. Oh well, I'm not going to put any more thought into it because Nick show. Having a slightly more dangerous low level mook to fight is better than having an army of unstoppable ones, I suppose. That would just get boring.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Just chock it up to dealing with ice and Casey's style being just completely out there compared to what they have on file.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah, those 3 fightscenes throughout the entire second season were really something. Not as good as Mako talking or Korra crying, but pretty good nonetheless.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

Yeah, those 3 fightscenes throughout the entire second season were really something. Not as good as Mako talking or Korra crying, but pretty good nonetheless.

It's a shame you missed 11 of the 14 episodes of the second season.

• Locked thread