Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I won't be satisfied until I have to worry about power factor and my induction smelter draws at least 3,000 VA per ingot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I just discovered GasCraft which looks pretty cool. Something I've always wanted was a block that emits gas or smoke, so I can build filthy soot-belching monstrosities to blot the landscape. So far as I know GasCraft is the only mod that seems to provide this functionality.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zebrin posted:

What I would like to see in solar generation something OTHER then photovoltaic. Give me a proper Heliostat tower, where properly aligned mirrors are the key to good production, or even an Updraft Tower. If you make it a proper multiblock structure I can have an awesome tower on the top of my mountain generating power for my base.
Also, proper multiblock windmills that convert rotational mechanical energy into store-able electric energy. I really kinda dislike plonking down a single block and stuffing coal into it to generate power. I like designing stuff. Even if I always end up with function over form.

Factorization has mirror-based solar power.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PiCroft posted:

I just discovered GasCraft which looks pretty cool. Something I've always wanted was a block that emits gas or smoke, so I can build filthy soot-belching monstrosities to blot the landscape. So far as I know GasCraft is the only mod that seems to provide this functionality.

RailCraft has a 'smoker' block exactly for this purpose, belching out a ton of smoke. But, y'know, its railcraft. Nice to see another mod adding the functionality.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As does the twilight forest.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It'd be nice if all these mod liquids could be poured out in the world or have more things to do with them other than production and filling up railcraft tanks.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Anticheese posted:

It'd be nice if all these mod liquids could be poured out in the world or have more things to do with them other than production and filling up railcraft tanks.

Not everyone can be KL or PC.

Also, every liquid needs straw support.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

There used to be a mod ("Extra Liquids" possibly) that introduced new liquids into the wild as it were. Things like acid, liquid nitrogen (not the same as the stuff from Bees) and a few Nether ones like redstone, obsidian and a few others I think that just appeared in worldgen and could be collected (I don't think they could be pumped, but I'm fairly sure they could be stored in tanks).

I liked the idea of making big glass vats of chemicals in my lair :hehe:

Also, I used to get excited about Oil geysers, but after trying out combustion engines, gently caress them. I had 2 explosions because I switched them on to top up my power supply and forgot to turn them off again, the first time because they burn through cooling water faster than my pipes could fill them and I didn't know about it and the second time because I simply forgot. If ther's one thing more bullshitty than fractally branching intermediate components and materials for building stuff, its that stuff then blowing the gently caress up because I took my eye off it for a moment.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Piezoelectric seems hilariously weak and just hilarious (generates a single burst of 8MJ when stepped on, not MJ/T just MJ, one second cooldown, 1/20 chance of instead zapping the entity for 2 hearts of damage).

I'm imagining 2 rings of cows. The outer ring adult cows being fed by an mfr breeder and perpetually being moved by mfr conveyors, the inner ring being filled by the resulting baby cows with a floor made entirely out of these generators.

Why is every build idea I have that involves mfr really hosed up?

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

PiCroft posted:

liquid nitrogen (not the same as the stuff from Bees)

When you've not been following these crazy mods for a while, that sentence is hilarious

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

HauntedRobot posted:

When you've not been following these crazy mods for a while, that sentence is hilarious

I never really understood the appeal of bees. I get that certain materials can be gained from them, but it never really seemed worth the time and effort to learn the intricacies of yet another mod, especially when you have to factor in breeding bees over several generations to get some the nicer things.

Bees IRL are awesome though :3:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Bees are the best insect. :3:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PiCroft posted:

I never really understood the appeal of bees. I get that certain materials can be gained from them, but it never really seemed worth the time and effort to learn the intricacies of yet another mod, especially when you have to factor in breeding bees over several generations to get some the nicer things.

Bees IRL are awesome though :3:

Because if you know how to use bees and have it setup properly you don't need to mine/quarry/laser your materials. Bee's make everything!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PiCroft posted:

There used to be a mod ("Extra Liquids" possibly) that introduced new liquids into the wild as it were. Things like acid, liquid nitrogen (not the same as the stuff from Bees) and a few Nether ones like redstone, obsidian and a few others I think that just appeared in worldgen and could be collected (I don't think they could be pumped, but I'm fairly sure they could be stored in tanks).

Even though it's not explicitly a liquids mod the Biome'o Plenty Mod adds a lot of interesting liquids, like regenerative spring water or liquid poison. What you are likely thinking of here is Plasmacraft. It's pretty ancient, though I think there are unofficial 1.5.2 versions floating around somewhere. It is completely incompatible with any kind of modern tank/pipe system. I like the concept of different liquids reacting to each other differently (like producing clay or gravel, or exploding):

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/182968-v13-01-plasmacraft-liquids-acid-danger-016/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnoMZrmQScY

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Anticheese posted:

I just found out that most of the liquid materials from Tinker's Construct can be poured into a bucket and dumped into the world.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm no modder so I might be talking out my arse, but if Forge handles a dictionary of stuff outside of liquids and ores, such as tools and other items, they should probably add hazmat-type objects. It'd be nice to have a single set of armour capable of handling all the hazards the different mods throw at you rather than a bunch of slightly different ones all handling their own thing. Modular Powersuits did something like it by adding the ability to resist Atomic Science radiation and Galacticraft vacuum.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

PiCroft posted:

GasCraft is an really cool mod, but as of when I last tried it, the mod would shank your computer with chunk gen. If you manage to get by that the mod will still single digit your TPS whenever you load a chunk with a large gas pocket in it.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Fortis posted:

I would love to see something like the Redpower windmills except they generate power people actually give a poo poo about. Those were super cool aesthetically. I know some mods have wind generators but they're either tiny or just inert blocks. When RP2 for 1.4 was teased, the windmills were the only thing I got excited about.

Mekanism has wind generators that are like modern windmills. The blades animate faster the higher up they are and the more power they generate.

They're not as big as RP2 windmills, but I still think they're kinda cool even if they're one of the more low power options.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Hagop posted:

GasCraft is an really cool mod, but as of when I last tried it, the mod would shank your computer with chunk gen. If you manage to get by that the mod will still single digit your TPS whenever you load a chunk with a large gas pocket in it.

I'm getting very bad (and mysterious) framerate drops in both Big Dig and Tekkit as it is. Think I'll give it a pass for now.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

PiCroft posted:

I'm getting very bad (and mysterious) framerate drops in both Big Dig and Tekkit as it is. Think I'll give it a pass for now.

Try dumping Galacticraft that has solved mysterious framerate drops for me in the past.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hagop posted:

The Minecraft Land Generator was posted earlier and it works great for this purpose. I have been playing around with it that last couple of days and pre-generating your land makes for a huge performance increase. It also lets me do stuff that would just suck way to much on the fly, like generating dense Ruins or Battle Towers that would normally take things to a crawl. It also lets you go over your world with MCdungeon and add really great procedural dungeons that just wouldn't be able to be generated on the fly:

https://sites.google.com/site/minecraftlandgenerator/home/

Hagop
May 14, 2012

The mod community has been doing some really cool stuff lately on the tools and usability side of things. Any world on if the rewrites in MC 1.7 have improved performance any?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfLCuHSZ-U

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Rutibex posted:

The Minecraft Land Generator was posted earlier and it works great for this purpose. I have been playing around with it that last couple of days and pre-generating your land makes for a huge performance increase. It also lets me do stuff that would just suck way to much on the fly, like generating dense Ruins or Battle Towers that would normally take things to a crawl. It also lets you go over your world with MCdungeon and add really great procedural dungeons that just wouldn't be able to be generated on the fly:

https://sites.google.com/site/minecraftlandgenerator/home/

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how Minecraft works with generating land, but wouldn't all the generation of ruins and stuff only need to take place once, when you enter a new chunk?

e: nevermind, I can see now how that would speed things up

e again: how do you get Tekkit to work with that? Googling brings up "point it to tekkit.jar" which doesn't seem to exist.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 11, 2013

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PiCroft posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how Minecraft works with generating land, but wouldn't all the generation of ruins and stuff only need to take place once, when you enter a new chunk?

e: nevermind, I can see now how that would speed things up

e again: how do you get Tekkit to work with that? Googling brings up "point it to tekkit.jar" which doesn't seem to exist.

Tekkit.jar exists server-side. On the client-side it'd be modpack.jar.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What is the hold up for the major mod packs to be released on 1.6.2? IE - FTB,Technic?(IDK as I don't play technic). Is it TE3?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

tonic316 posted:

What is the hold up for the major mod packs to be released on 1.6.2? IE - FTB,Technic?(IDK as I don't play technic). Is it TE3?

Well, FTB hasn't even released a launcher for 1.6.x yet, making it kind of hard for them.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Is there a reasonably recent mod/pack that focuses on the farming and exploration side of things, preferably one that could be played on peaceful so you don't have to worry about mobs(like how the old peaceful pack let you get bones through archaeology etc)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Is there a reasonably recent mod/pack that focuses on the farming and exploration side of things, preferably one that could be played on peaceful so you don't have to worry about mobs(like how the old peaceful pack let you get bones through archaeology etc)

Well, it's not a pack, but if you're specifically looking for something that allows you to play on peaceful, there's a block from Extra Utilities that generates mob drops when you put a sword in it. The sword takes damage and eventually breaks, but you get a fairly steady stream of things otherwise impossible to get on peaceful.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, is the OMP-A site down? I was trying to see if they had updated lately, also I couldn't find and OMP stuff on the technic site, but it might be because their search engine has a 4 letter minimum.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Man, the more I play with Thaumcraft 4, the more the little things add up to be annoying.

Why can't the alchemical furnace/arcane alembic/warded jar thing be... smarter? If I have a column of 5 alembics, each with a single jar, why can't it "bubble up"? ie, if I have Terra being distilled on the 2nd layer, I shouldn't have to move jars around to get it out. I don't expect it to automatically rotate to select jars. And I can't seem to get less than 8 essentia out at a time. So if the alembic has 2 terra left, you're moving jars!

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Turtlicious posted:

Hey, is the OMP-A site down? I was trying to see if they had updated lately, also I couldn't find and OMP stuff on the technic site, but it might be because their search engine has a 4 letter minimum.

The 'NEW' OMP series of modpacks is being tested and produced at this very moment by the fine people at Omni-Minecraft Products. Which is to say, we haven't really even thought of a public release of our new poo poo, which is actually nothing. I'm also using the royal 'we' inappropriately, because I speak for nobody on the 'team', not even myself.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TwystNeko posted:

Man, the more I play with Thaumcraft 4, the more the little things add up to be annoying.

Why can't the alchemical furnace/arcane alembic/warded jar thing be... smarter? If I have a column of 5 alembics, each with a single jar, why can't it "bubble up"? ie, if I have Terra being distilled on the 2nd layer, I shouldn't have to move jars around to get it out. I don't expect it to automatically rotate to select jars. And I can't seem to get less than 8 essentia out at a time. So if the alembic has 2 terra left, you're moving jars!

Getting essentia out by directly placing jars under the alembic isn't meant to be efficient or smart. It's a temporary thing, meant to be used briefly before you move on to having either a tube network or a golem to move stuff around.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Playing Toast, found these:

Haven't been able to figure out what they are, what mod adds them, and how to destroy them (if I can). Several would mess with my intended floor heights since I don't really want poison gas emitters. Any experience with them?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Dux Supremus posted:

Playing Toast, found these:

Haven't been able to figure out what they are, what mod adds them, and how to destroy them (if I can). Several would mess with my intended floor heights since I don't really want poison gas emitters. Any experience with them?

Fairly sure that is gascraft I didn't think that was in toast. Anyhow you should be able to build a thing the caps them and generates a liquid, that can either be directly used as a fuel or refined into it.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 12, 2013

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

The prepay on both the solder server and the webserver ran out and I didn't add more monies as I haven't had the time to maintain them. I suppose if someone could do so that would be awesome. I can throw up a zip version of the pack in the meantime if anyone wants that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Looks like MJ is going to be replaced as the standard power type by RedFlux in one fell swoop. Mods that support or are working on support that I know of: AE, MFR, TE (duh), EnderIO, Engineer's Toolbox, Extra Utilities. Some of these have dual support, but others are simply dropping MJ in favor of RF. There are probably a ton I don't know about as well. I have a distinct feeling that the only mods that won't support it by the time 1.7 mods are maturing will be the BC core of buildcraft, railcraft, and forestry. And then IC, but seriously who actually plays that anymore?

Big round of applause to CJ, Player, and Sengir, for crushing a functional power standard with "balance", and making everyone go from losing it to hating it.

And an unironic thanks to KL for providing a great alternative at the right time for everyone to move to.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Taffer posted:

Looks like MJ is going to be replaced as the standard power type by RedFlux in one fell swoop. Mods that support or are working on support that I know of: AE, MFR, TE (duh), EnderIO, Engineer's Toolbox, Extra Utilities. Some of these have dual support, but others are simply dropping MJ in favor of RF. There are probably a ton I don't know about as well. I have a distinct feeling that the only mods that won't support it by the time 1.7 mods are maturing will be the BC core of buildcraft, railcraft, and forestry. And then IC, but seriously who actually plays that anymore?

Big round of applause to CJ, Player, and Sengir, for crushing a functional power standard with "balance", and making everyone go from losing it to hating it.

And an unironic thanks to KL for providing a great alternative at the right time for everyone to move to.

:allears: Thanks KL!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I don't follow modding drama that much. What has happened/why are power systems changing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PiCroft posted:

I don't follow modding drama that much. What has happened/why are power systems changing?

Thermal Expansion is going from being a BC standalone expansion to having its own power system entirely. Some changes were made to BC that requires pipes to always be drawing power out of consumers, at least a little bit. Skyboy found a way around it for MFR, but CJ has said it goes against his vision/balance/etc. and if too many people weasel around it, he'll just change it again I think. As soon as KL started telling people he was doing a power system people started signing up for it, because a lot of modders have been waiting for this moment ever since ThermEx went standalone, because KL is a well-respected modder and the main reason why so many people supported BC in the first place. To be honest, I sort of feel like this BC change just hastened the inevitable, but maybe KL would have been content to do BC forever without these changes.

• Locked thread