Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

Teacher Paul Allan wins national Scrabble title Stupid politicians, almost none of these are valid words! And the board's all wrong, it should be 15x15, not 15x16!
I love the way the Telegraph can't show Miliband winning even here. Also that the scores don't have any correlation to the words shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Mohamed Morsi in court - The ousted Egyptian president has appeared in court for the preliminary hearing of his trial for incitement to murder"

Independent

Royal Navy aircraft carrier costs 'to double'

Mail:
"It has been revealed that MPs are putting their heating bills down as expenses."

quote:

“Darling. I can’t stop taxpayers warming themselves at our letter box. After all they are paying our heating bills.”

Express:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

And when it does a massive torrent of bile and poo poo will pour forth.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

They are actually honestly advocating closed borders, and denying freedom of movement to other member states? Oh for fucks sake.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Trickjaw posted:

They are actually honestly advocating closed borders, and denying freedom of movement to other member states? Oh for fucks sake.

Unless you are one of the right ones of course, not one of those slovenly lot

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The postman has kidnapped that poor badger :ohdear:

This campaign sounds like it's full of poo poo but there's no way I'm investigating it (lol at its supporters not having caught up with email though). Does this extend to spouses or is it carefully worded to only exclude the Wrong Sort?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Daily Express "No new EU Migrants" campaign grows from a waste of stamps to an enormous waste of stamps, yet something will happen in government that was going to happen anyway to enable the Express to call this some kind of victory. Business as usual!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I doubt there's any real chance of it happening, but if the UK were to close its borders or strictly limit migration from the EU would there be repercussions like other EU countries no longer accepting UK migrants, or would they be happy to keep taking on our best trained and educated young people while the UK's skilled workforce slowly drained away?

e: I feel like all we've got going for us at the moment is that we speak English, are conveniently nearby and are still somewhat less expensive than America for tertiary education (and degrees are shorter). I'm not really sure why else smart young people from the rest of western Europe would want to come here.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 5, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

big scary monsters posted:

I doubt there's any real chance of it happening, but if the UK were to close its borders or strictly limit migration from the EU would there be repercussions like other EU countries no longer accepting UK migrants, or would they be happy to keep taking on our best trained and educated young people while the UK's skilled workforce slowly drained away?

It's pretty much impossible. Any migration ban/closing of borders would be overturned by pretty much every level of court. For it to happen we would need to leave the EU and almost certainly also withdraw from free trade agreements.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kegluneq posted:

This campaign sounds like it's full of poo poo but there's no way I'm investigating it (lol at its supporters not having caught up with email though).

This info might be a few years out of date but I've been told that politicians pay much more attention to letters sent to them than they do to e-mails sent and that they pay more attention to hand written stuff than typed stuff, and to individually sent stuff than to form letters. Basically the more effort it took to write, the more weight it is given.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

This info might be a few years out of date but I've been told that politicians pay much more attention to letters sent to them than they do to e-mails sent and that they pay more attention to hand written stuff than typed stuff, and to individually sent stuff than to form letters. Basically the more effort it took to write, the more weight it is given.
That does actually make sense, so perhaps they did ask people to physically write in instead? Eh.

I know Alex isn't really a political cartoon per se, but I thought it was interesting that the Telegraph managed to put colour onto an otherwise black and white page, just to make the inclusion of the poppy noticeable (the logo is monochrome in the print edition). Obviously Alex's layabout artist son wouldn't honour Our Lads...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's the political message I drew from that strip, to.
VVV No, that's clearly what's what VVV

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

See my first instinct there was the guy talking sense is the protagonist, the two glib pinstriped City gents are FYGM types representing the whole problem, and the blaring red poppies on both of them, like part of their identical uniform, are a criticism of the way people automatically and conspicuously adopt that symbol as proof of their morality and good character

But you said Telegraph, sooo

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Germany summoning the UK ambassador over spying claims – Envoys asked to explain allegations that Britain had been carrying out covert electronic surveillance on Angela Merkel's government"

Yesterday's Telegraph:

Telegraph:

India launches spacecraft to Mars

Independent:

Ed Miliband: Only Labour can secure 'recovery for all'   After Pink Floyd.

Mail:

quote:

'Land now? What d'you mean, land now? - We're off to Ethiopia to pick up a few more asylum seekers.'

Express:

:jebstare:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think I'm going to stop looking at these even to find the hidden animals.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

What?

Featuring the endangered space great bustard and no badger that I can see. I thought he'd hide it in the rocket's trail.

For the past few days the xenophobia was so strong I forgot all about the critters for a moment. I wish he'd go back to wittering about the Queen.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Come on, the badger on the rocket is pretty good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I'm more offended by the racism or the terrible astronautics.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

"Butt Potato"??? :argh:

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

A reference to this story http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/a...er-8921699.html about an Ethiopian asylum seeker apparently being given flying lessons. (I say "apparently" because it's a Tax Payers Alliance story that's been sent to all the Tory rags, so who knows what the full story is there).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Butt Potato posted:

"Butt Potato"??? :argh:
Hahaha, oops.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cloud-to-butt-plus/apmlngnhgbnjpajelfkmabhkfapgnoai?hl=en

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

baka kaba posted:

See my first instinct there was the guy talking sense is the protagonist, the two glib pinstriped City gents are FYGM types representing the whole problem, and the blaring red poppies on both of them, like part of their identical uniform, are a criticism of the way people automatically and conspicuously adopt that symbol as proof of their morality and good character

But you said Telegraph, sooo
'FYGM types representing the whole problem' is an awesome description of the Alex strip in general actually. The actual protagonist, Alex Masterley, is the guy with the bulbous nose in every frame. He's a banker, a Tory, a magnificent bastard and a total poo poo. The strip started off in the 1980s by satirising banking culture of the time, from conspicuous consumption to actual scandals, following a core cast of returning characters that age in real time. In the early 90s it went to the Telegraph, where it now sits on page one of the Business section. I've no idea if its readers are meant to appreciate it ironically or not.

Using a poppy as proof of their morality and good character is totally appropriate, but I'm wondering if they've ruined the joke by colouring it as well.

So many planets! The best place for Daily Express xenophobes is a hostile alien planet, AGC.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Immigration is all xenophobes can ever talk about, it's amazing.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on shipyards and Scottish independence – Ministers face claims that they were playing politics with UK jobs"

Telegraph:

George Stubbs' kangaroo and dingo paintings to stay in UK

Independent:

Mail:
"Payday lenders have been accused of wooing children in their advertising so that they encourage their parents to take out loans."

quote:

“Look into my eyes….you are feeling sleepy, but you will scream and shout till your Mummy rings the following number…”

Express:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've given up on the badgers, they just aren't worth it because two lines does not a badger make. The birds are always nicely done (loved today's owl) and the foxes are at least recognizably fox-like.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cliff Racer posted:

I've given up on the badgers, they just aren't worth it because two lines does not a badger make. The birds are always nicely done (loved today's owl) and the foxes are at least recognizably fox-like.

Just to be sure, the badger's in the window over the door right?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Kurtofan posted:

Just to be sure, the badger's in the window over the door right?

I think that's the owl, the badger's on the handbag clasp.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cameron is the third most offensively dressed person in that cartoon.

I thought Downing Street police still wore blue, or did Thomas run out of felts and have to switch to the highlighters?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Betjeman posted:

I think that's the owl, the badger's on the handbag clasp.

Correct. And, in case you couldn't tell, Cameron was wearing an awful fox print coat.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I don't even know if Paul Thomas should be in here - he barely flirts with politics, it's either

a) some stupid poo poo about nothing that happens to feature a political figure (see above)
b) the royal family does a thing
c) a celebrity does a thing
d) general xenophobia and prejudice
e) some stupid poo poo about nothing that doesn't happen to feature a political figure

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

I don't even know if Paul Thomas should be in here - he barely flirts with politics, it's either

a) some stupid poo poo about nothing that happens to feature a political figure (see above)
b) the royal family does a thing
c) a celebrity does a thing
d) general xenophobia and prejudice
e) some stupid poo poo about nothing that doesn't happen to feature a political figure
Thomas's quality aside, a, b, and d are mainstays of political discourse at all levels in the UK.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
And e covers most of Stephen Collins's work. The cartoons continue until the country's morale improves!

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the spy chiefs' questioning by MPs – Historic 90-minute session of the intelligence and security committee lacked the heat and light of a real grilling"

Telegraph:

Twitter shares jump 73% in market debut

Independent:

Mail:
"The heads of MI5, MI6 and GCHQ have been quizzed by MPs following the Snowdon scandal."

quote:

“Before you join your bosses, which one of you gentlemen is Mr Bond.”

Express:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Is he saying... that Bond's boss... is a Bond villain??? :aaaaa:

Holy gently caress, that's some lazy hidden animals today.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So, three(?) of those people are people, and the others are generic. I'm really not sure about middle left.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
I love you, Steve Bell.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Gotta love that SHOONK!

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the universal credit scheme – Committee criticises 'alarmingly weak' management and questions whether project can be delivered by 2017 deadline"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After JMW Turner.

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Nosferatu swoops over the graveyard of compassionate Conservatism - Chris Riddell on Iain Duncan Smith's welfare reforms"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Remembrance Sunday – Ten thousand people march past the Cenotaph in central London as Queen and politicians pay tribute to Britain's war dead"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Iran nuclear talks: US 'not stupid' - John Kerry

Express:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
For some reason I absolutely LOVE the National Collective cartoons, although they focus on Scottish politics and the independence debate. Hope these are ok to post in this thread.

• Locked thread