Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

J.A.B.C. posted:

That freakin' hotel, man...

Though I (personally) don't think there's anything worse than Ocean House, there are a couple of places that get the spookometer ticking past that part. You still have three more neighborhoods and a bunch more 'dungeons' to go, so just buckle up and enjoy.

Also, there's a special, hard to find item behind the couch in one of the rooms on the second floor.

What clan are you playing?

I'm playing a Tremere lady if it matters.

I hate ghosts/haunted houses in video games because nothing is impossible in a virtual world and therefore the ghost behavior is totally unpredictable and can be as horrible as the creators want. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

HondaCivet posted:

I'm playing a Tremere lady if it matters.

I hate ghosts/haunted houses in video games because nothing is impossible in a virtual world and therefore the ghost behavior is totally unpredictable and can be as horrible as the creators want. :cry:

I haven't played Tremere yet. Still rolling my Malkavian Male. For the light of the moon shines silver over blood. I am no longer here.

Also, I love it when a game uses ghosts to mess with a player. Fatal Frame II was the best example [F*#&@^g TWINS!], but VtM does a great job with Ocean House.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's been said a million times before but it really is a testament to how well made Ocean House is where you're playing as a monster and its still scary. Bloodlines just had amazing atmosphere in general and the soundtrack really added to it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, the thing is that for as big and as bad as you might think you are, you're still nothing in the face of that house. It's really the first place that starts tossing aggro damage at you to such a degree that you can easily die from it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

It's been said a million times before but it really is a testament to how well made Ocean House is where you're playing as a monster and its still scary. Bloodlines just had amazing atmosphere in general and the soundtrack really added to it.
Yeah, I don't know, the house only got to me in a few very specific places. In any other game, that house would have freaked me out, but I pretty easily psyched myself up to face everything because damnit, I'm a badass vampire bloodsorcerer and nothing is going to gently caress me up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The reason the house works so well is that there isn't a "boss."

In most games the ghost would be a literal ghost that attacks you sometimes and might be super creepy but is, in the end, an NPC. In the Ocean House though, the actual loving house as out for you. There's nothing to attack, nothing to fight. It does the whole haunting thing better then any other game I've played - there isn't "a ghost" trying to get you, THE loving HOUSE IS HAUNTED. It taunts you and plays with you the whole time.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Got this game in the recent sale and was enjoying it up til that huge rear end sewer level. Jesus christ. Took me almost an hour to make it through that crap. Thankfully my bad habit of endlessly hoarding items in rpgs helped out there since I had a buttload of blood bags and a bunch of ammo and ended up running out of both by the time I got out.

Would have been so much better if blood spike actually stole blood from those things.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

ProfessorCirno posted:

The reason the house works so well is that there isn't a "boss."

In most games the ghost would be a literal ghost that attacks you sometimes and might be super creepy but is, in the end, an NPC. In the Ocean House though, the actual loving house as out for you. There's nothing to attack, nothing to fight. It does the whole haunting thing better then any other game I've played - there isn't "a ghost" trying to get you, THE loving HOUSE IS HAUNTED. It taunts you and plays with you the whole time.

Exactly. You're helpless because it isn't like you can beat up a building. All you can do is hope it chooses to not kill you before you finish your task.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Exactly. You're helpless because it isn't like you can beat up a building. All you can do is hope it chooses to not kill you before you finish your task.

Tell that to my Malkavian, who punches the walls. It doesn't help, but it lightens the mood.

Though it did not stop a falling elevator, so I won't try that again.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

lil baby anime posted:

Got this game in the recent sale and was enjoying it up til that huge rear end sewer level. Jesus christ. Took me almost an hour to make it through that crap. Thankfully my bad habit of endlessly hoarding items in rpgs helped out there since I had a buttload of blood bags and a bunch of ammo and ended up running out of both by the time I got out.

Would have been so much better if blood spike actually stole blood from those things.

Yeah, the sewer level in this game is pretty notorious, and one of the endgame levels is almost as bad. Thankfully you can just open the console and noclip/cheat your way through them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I and many others have said it before, but this is definitely one of those games where people won't fault you for cracking out the console and using it simplify some areas. It's sort of a busted game in some respects, so you might as well use a cheating method to get through it at some points.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They should've put this scene in the Haunted House somewhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmOoekbK6YI

I'd love a game based on the Shining that's exactly like a huge version of the Ocean House level.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I'm playing with the plus patch only since I couldn't get CQM to work. There's still some new content so it's not all bad. Since this is a fun run, I decided to cheat every now and then. I've been using giftxp to play however I want and noclip so that I can fast travel through the hub areas.

Also, "Money 600" does not actually give you 600 dollars.

Isko
May 20, 2008
So I installed the clan quest mod with the Camarilla Edition and I installed the widescreen res patcher and I am having two problems. One, I patched it and got widescreen but when I actually got in game everything was stretched out. Two, the blood bar looks a little weird and when I sucked blood the red part actually lifts up (leaving an empty bottom portion) and looks bad. Anyone know what could be causing these issues?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I don't know about the first issue but the blood bar thing is an issue I've had for a long time and as far as I know there isn't a fix for it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Anyone know a fix to the Malkavians not getting access to their powers? I have hysteria and insight, but it doesn't give me any of the other disciplines. I was looking forward to 'lingering malaise', but it doesn't show up in the options.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're talking about using the Camarilla mod/Clan Quest then you need to set hot keys for certain powers, as they don't show up on the mouse-wheel menu thing.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
Well, I completed it. One of the most frustrating rpgs I've played but definitely worth the effort.

The only part I really disliked was the sewer level. I had some trouble on Hallowbrook (Harrowbrook?) Hotel, but that was mainly because I ran out of ammo.

I'm sad there won't be a sequel by the same people. The world really felt vibrant and I was pretty surprised by just how many side quests there were that were actually interesting.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

J.A.B.C. posted:

Anyone know a fix to the Malkavians not getting access to their powers? I have hysteria and insight, but it doesn't give me any of the other disciplines. I was looking forward to 'lingering malaise', but it doesn't show up in the options.

Press "k" and assign hotkeys.

Ravenicus posted:

Well, I completed it. One of the most frustrating rpgs I've played but definitely worth the effort.

The only part I really disliked was the sewer level. I had some trouble on Hallowbrook (Harrowbrook?) Hotel, but that was mainly because I ran out of ammo.

I'm sad there won't be a sequel by the same people. The world really felt vibrant and I was pretty surprised by just how many side quests there were that were actually interesting.

Really wish someone would put money to make an aaa World of Darkness - vampire the masquerade title of mass effect proportions only actually good, doubt this will happen though. I know there's a company out there that's using the rights to the word/vampire to make a vampire mmo, kind of sad because it limits the experience to begin with. Oh well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I decided to boot this up for my 9th playthrough and just cheat. Gave myself infinite blood and am going around using only blood bullets for fighting, sometimes blowing up heads if it amuses me.

I have to give myself infinite HP to do the hotel though, just because it freaks me out so bad even if I've never died.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

uaciaut posted:

Press "k" and assign hotkeys.

Really wish someone would put money to make an aaa World of Darkness - vampire the masquerade title of mass effect proportions only actually good, doubt this will happen though. I know there's a company out there that's using the rights to the word/vampire to make a vampire mmo, kind of sad because it limits the experience to begin with. Oh well.

This would be amazing. I'd imagine that World of Darkness is considered niche enough that it would never happen. Unless CCP suddenly starts caring. Who knows what that MMO they're making will be like.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the MMO, have there been any new developments? I know the developer announced it would be sidelined until EVE or some other project were finished, but that was some time ago.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

steinrokkan posted:

Speaking of the MMO, have there been any new developments? I know the developer announced it would be sidelined until EVE or some other project were finished, but that was some time ago.

Eh… kind of. They have a WoD presentation at every EVE fanfest, and usually, some new visual content is shown. It's still mostly about building tools and saying that it's still in progress though.

The presentation from this spring is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxC8vX2zAgY

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The basic problem is that White Wolf was put in the hands of almost impressively awesome screwup Ryan Dancey, who did a lot to destroy it (when he wasn't horrifically screwing up EVE so bad that, after he was shitcanned, the head of CCP publically apologized for everything he did). Under his reign, the White Wolf branch saw sales begin to plummet hard, which isn't surprising since, when he worked at WotC, he intentionally destroyed a Vampire based CCG they were working on because he personally dislikes vampires. White Wolf has never really survived, and he was in charge of White Wolf's MMO. I imagine there's been a lot of restructuring and potentially outright restarting on a lot of stuff in the MMO since then.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The basic problem is that White Wolf was put in the hands of almost impressively awesome screwup Ryan Dancey, who did a lot to destroy it (when he wasn't horrifically screwing up EVE so bad that, after he was shitcanned, the head of CCP publically apologized for everything he did). Under his reign, the White Wolf branch saw sales begin to plummet hard, which isn't surprising since, when he worked at WotC, he intentionally destroyed a Vampire based CCG they were working on because he personally dislikes vampires. White Wolf has never really survived, and he was in charge of White Wolf's MMO. I imagine there's been a lot of restructuring and potentially outright restarting on a lot of stuff in the MMO since then.
A guy who doesn't like vampires sounds like a great choice to be in charge of the WoD franchise.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dancey is like a reverse Midas who turns everything he touches into poo poo. Who thought putting him in charge of White Wolf was a good idea?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

The basic problem is that White Wolf was put in the hands of almost impressively awesome screwup Ryan Dancey
Wait, was Dancey actually put in charge of anything White Wolf related after the merger? I thought he was CCP's head of marketing before he was thrown out (I guess CCP finally got tired of having to do PR damage control everytime the "Steve Jobs of MMO marketing" opened his mouth).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This game was great until suddenly I had to fight that Andrei guy in the sewers and I realised neglecting all of my combat skills in favour of stealth/social had been a mistake. Kind of frustrating to be honest, it's a situation where you can't go back and it comes totally out of left field given how the rest of the game was based around there being multiple solutions to things.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah its one of the huge problems with the game most likely due to the crap the developers had to put up with to make the game and while most people still say you should experience the sewers on your first time theres no shame no clipping/godmoding that stuff.

TheRealIzzleDizzle
Nov 11, 2013

by Pipski
The acting in this game is amazing, great replayability as each class is so different!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, I really love the minor changes that come about depending on who you're playing. Like how Gary *really* doesn't like you if you're a Toreador.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The best part is the Malkavian PC just subtly spoiling every plot point in the game. It'll make no loving sense on your first playthrough but it's pretty amazing on the second.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

LordLeckie posted:

Yeah its one of the huge problems with the game most likely due to the crap the developers had to put up with to make the game and while most people still say you should experience the sewers on your first time theres no shame no clipping/godmoding that stuff.

To be fair, most clans have an easy way through the place. The beauty if this game is that, unlike most RPGs, it doesn't reward experience for killing stuff, only for completing objectives, and those objectives never hinge on you clearing out an area of enemies.

If you have Celerity, just run through it.

If you have Fortitude, just run through it.

If you have Obfuscate, stealth through it.

If you have Dominate, just run through it and use the stun on the hags.

If you have Animalism, just run through it and use the first level stun on the hags.

If you have Presence, just turn it on and run through it.

If you have none of the above (you have one of them), just run through it.

The only fight that's actually required is the "boss fight" with the one hag, and that one you can just climb the catwalk and shoot at her pretty safely.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 11, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Actually I'm pretty certain you can break the vent and just run away even through that one. You just have to get lucky she doesn't hit you while you're on a tiny tiny ledge.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm talking about the big boss fight with warform Andrei in the pool of blood at the end of the Hotel Hallowbrook, by the way, not the sewers. My mistake. Seriously, gently caress that. There's no way to get past it unless you have some combat ability, which I didn't as I had been trying to get through the game purely on persuasion/stealth.

e: Also, for the game in general, obfuscate at the higher levels is absurdly overpowered. There's literally no other reason to put points into anything else. Kind of reminds me of how Shadow Operative in Alpha Protocol just made you an unstoppable killing machine as you could charge up to a crowd of people in brought daylight and break their necks without anyone realising what was going on.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 11, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Buy the flamethrower off Mercurio. It wrecks him.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just started this game I like how a tire iron and a baseball bat are considered weapons that a weapons dealer would sell.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, flamethrower. I'm pretty sure it was an intentionally OP last minute inclusion as a sort of apology for making the game so loving hard for non-combat characters at the end.

e: Speaking of non-combat, in the junkyard, can you talk down the Gangrel? I never have been able to but it seems like that was the design.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: Speaking of non-combat, in the junkyard, can you talk down the Gangrel? I never have been able to but it seems like that was the design.
Yes although if I recall you need persuasion at near max. Also you'll take a masquerade violation hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There are a few outcomes to that. You can kill him. You can convince him to stop. You can convince him to leave but do nothing to talk him out of everything, which technically completes things but your mission list will make fun of you. "You let a serial killer go free. Way to go."

• Locked thread