Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Slim Killington posted:

Absolutely true but those sounds are there because the movie actually sounds worse without them. Seriously, it's weird. Some sound designers put together a production vignette to show off why they do it and it really is better to have nonsense noises like that. Maybe I can find it and post it.

Content: watched Groundhog Day today and Harold Raimis really phones his bit in, almost on purpose. Wasn't necessary at all.

Dunno, there's been movies where they don't have crazy click clack sounds from guns and they were fine. Also, if the sounds are overused to the point where they're intrusive, then it could be an issue of execution rather than concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I did like "Phone Booth" way of dealing with it. Simply stating that the sound of a gun being cocked is scary.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Whatev posted:

Kind of esoteric, but the Trailer Park Boys movie Countdown to Liquor Day was rather frustrating to me. It did an absolutely superb job of building up tension while still being funny and appropriately sentimental. The majority of the movie is great and filled with hilarious moments, and the characters are handled really well. Even the score is well managed. But it pretty much falls apart in the last 15 minutes or so with a long rear end stretch that is neither funny nor fitting. It did such a great job setting up for a grand finale, and it fuckin sucked to see it just kind of peter out anticlimactically.

Also didn't really feature Ricky's family. Don't think the new baby from the end of the series was even referenced. gently caress.

Honestly, all I can remember from the ending to the film is that I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that Julian was pulling the security guard heist while still carrying around his rum and coke :xd:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is there a single moment in that show where he sets down his rum and coke?

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
Well, there's the episode where he drinks swish instead.

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.
He puts it on top of the shitmobile for a few seconds in one of the eps and I think Ricky steals it for his dad at some point but he gets it back quick

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
There are a few times he doesn't have it, but it's right there like 95% of the time which is hilarious. Including several separate occasions when they've been pulled over by the police. :D

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
When writers think smart = random fact machine or large vocabulary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched Olympus Has Fallen earlier today and was kind of annoyed that they made one of the bad guys a former Secret Service agent. Because its not like they don't psychologically screen those guys. Although the worst part was how he didn't even really have a good reason for turning on America. He just did because...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The worst part of that movie to me was the OMG FREE BULLETS IN THE FRONT YARD OF THE WHITEHOUSE! GET EM WHILE THEY ARE HOT! reasoning that everyone ran out INTO THE GUNFIRE to somehow mysteriously get mowed down.

There were a lot more bad parts to it, but god drat that was just loving retarded.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

Or being able to solve a Rubiks Cube really quickly.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Or being able to solve a Rubiks Cube really quickly.

Yeah, I can solve one in under 2 minutes and I'm dumb as poo poo.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Robzor McFabulous posted:

There are a few times he doesn't have it, but it's right there like 95% of the time which is hilarious. Including several separate occasions when they've been pulled over by the police. :D

On my mobile but wasn't this because John Paul Tremblay wasn't a very experienced actor and didn't know what to do with his hands? They had him mix a drink for his first few scenes and the director thought it was funnier and funnier for Julian to have a highball in increasingly improbable situations.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Razorwired posted:

On my mobile but wasn't this because John Paul Tremblay wasn't a very experienced actor and didn't know what to do with his hands? They had him mix a drink for his first few scenes and the director thought it was funnier and funnier for Julian to have a highball in increasingly improbable situations.

Yep, pretty sure that's absolutely right.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaunab posted:

Or be a massive jerk. Or get things right when there was no possible way for them to know.

There was a very short lived TV show back in the early 90s (I think) where the gimmick was a 'quirky' super intelligent guy and an ordinary woman (Who will teach him through the power of common sense) teaming up to solve mysteries. Like how the Los Angeles water board's new computer had become sentient and was now overcharging all customers by 3 cents and using that money to buy, gently caress, I dunno, something sinister.

I swear, this actually happened!

You see he worked this out by calculating, in his head, EXACTLY how much water his lab had used, factoring in variations like dripping taps and toilet flushes and from that, extrapolated the existence of an evil AI out to rip off all of LA 3 cents at a time. Because that's how intelligence works.

Now, when the normal lady first went to his lab, the door was locked and the computer controlled door asked her an incredibly bizarre and complicated riddle. Flustered she just said whatever was on the top of her head and this, of course, was the correct answer. Super genius opens the door very pissed off. Why? Because he had designed the riddle to be utterly nonsensical and impossible to answer, that's just how smart he was.

No, that doesn't make you smart, it makes you a douche.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The worst part of that movie to me was the OMG FREE BULLETS IN THE FRONT YARD OF THE WHITEHOUSE! GET EM WHILE THEY ARE HOT! reasoning that everyone ran out INTO THE GUNFIRE to somehow mysteriously get mowed down.

There were a lot more bad parts to it, but god drat that was just loving retarded.

There was also the evil commando tactics of "walking slowly and directly towards the White House."

Another really stupid thing was the turret the bad guys put up on the roof of the White House that shoots down the rescue choppers. Even though it could only shoot at one at a time and they sent like 5 or 6. The weirdest thing about the turret is that they make a big deal about how its a next gen American weapon and someone asks how the bad guys got it but as far as I can tell they never explain it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"It's terraforming!"
*gasp*

"What's that?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A similar thing is in The Matrix where Neo, who is supposed to be a computer progammer/hacker, has to have everything explained to him like EMP and AI.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

"What is that you're using?"
"...a computer."
"whoa"

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Smart people are literally robots:

*playing baseball*
"I know the physical calculations and know the exact force needed for the right trajectory, but..."
"No man, you gotta use your heart!"

I swear Criminal Minds used to be good.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

BioMe posted:

Smart people are literally robots:

*playing baseball*
"I know the physical calculations and know the exact force needed for the right trajectory, but..."
"No man, you gotta use your heart!"

I swear Criminal Minds used to be good.

Pretty far to fall, then, because it is absolutely poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

There was also the evil commando tactics of "walking slowly and directly towards the White House."

That whole sequence looks like they took a battle scene from a Revolutionary War movie, stuck everyone in modern clothes and gave them modern props, and CGI'd in the White House. It was so, so bad.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I've haven't seen the West Wing since it aired so I've been watching it on Netflix lately, and it's horrible how many episodes have a scene with a male character righteously yelling at a female character. It's seriously like every episode and the yelling is completely unjustified. CJ Cregg's character gets to yell some but it's a long way from parity. It comes across like Sorkin and his team of writers sat down and asked themselves, "What woman can the guys yell at this week?"

Plus every single male character with a female relative is overprotective of her in the exact same way. The president jokes about locking one of his daughters up in a dungeon and about the other wearing makeup, which he disapproves of. Will Bailey tells his sister not to wear a sexy dress to a party. Leo McGarry screws with his daughter's dating life just because he can. It all hits the same Don't You Think Of My Daughter Or Sister That Way (Also Women Are Objects Sans Agency And Must Fear Other Men) note. I guess it's not super surprising that Sorkin is misogynist but this stuff stands out to me in a way it didn't twelve years ago.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Another really stupid thing was the turret the bad guys put up on the roof of the White House that shoots down the rescue choppers. Even though it could only shoot at one at a time and they sent like 5 or 6. The weirdest thing about the turret is that they make a big deal about how its a next gen American weapon and someone asks how the bad guys got it but as far as I can tell they never explain it.

I think there was a throwaway line about the black market.

Now how it got on the black market, no clue.

The only thing I did like about the movie was how the evil airplane in the beginning was shooting all kinds of poo poo, and people were actually getting hit. Normally you see cars get hosed up and buildings but never any actual people get shot.

Another weird thing about the movie was how the lead was so god damned head stab happy. It was almost like MacGruber and the "Rip your dick off" joke, except played completely serious.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or be a massive jerk. Or get things right when there was no possible way for them to know.

There was a very short lived TV show back in the early 90s (I think) where the gimmick was a 'quirky' super intelligent guy and an ordinary woman (Who will teach him through the power of common sense) teaming up to solve mysteries. Like how the Los Angeles water board's new computer had become sentient and was now overcharging all customers by 3 cents and using that money to buy, gently caress, I dunno, something sinister.

I swear, this actually happened.
It was late 80s, and it was called Probe.

How the hell I remember this poo poo 25 years later, I don't know, but I feel a tinge of shame.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
As an extension to my hatred for rear end in a top hat protagonists, I get a special kind of rage for when the protagonist breaks every rule and does horrendous actions but faces no consequence because the majority of the harm falls on the so-called bad guy, sometimes through dumb luck. Double so when the protagonist is a cop and knows better.
Examples: Die Hard With a Vengeance - In the aqueduct tunnel, McClane empties a magazine into the stopped truck before he knows who is in it! Luckily bad guys were in the cab, but he only has a suspicion that it could possibly be them!

Bad Boys 2 - The entire movie. Smith and Lawrence's cop characters constantly, repeatedly break the law in the terms of many warrant-less illegal searches and wiretaps, on which they attempt to get legitimate warrants; not to mention all the wanton violence and intimidation they engage in! The bad guy is notorious for having good lawyers and getting out from under charges, and these guys are sabotaging their own case! Yet despite their repeated willful violations and bungling of their case, and interference with the DEA's case, they still keep their jobs! In fact, at the end of the movie they stage a miniature scale invasion of Cuba, sneaking into the country, murdering many of its citizens and also killing many of their soldiers. At then end of the movie they are back in the States, still with their jobs and doing fine - which is loving insane!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Van Dis posted:

I've haven't seen the West Wing since it aired so I've been watching it on Netflix lately, and it's horrible how many episodes have a scene with a male character righteously yelling at a female character. It's seriously like every episode and the yelling is completely unjustified. CJ Cregg's character gets to yell some but it's a long way from parity. It comes across like Sorkin and his team of writers sat down and asked themselves, "What woman can the guys yell at this week?"

Plus every single male character with a female relative is overprotective of her in the exact same way. The president jokes about locking one of his daughters up in a dungeon and about the other wearing makeup, which he disapproves of. Will Bailey tells his sister not to wear a sexy dress to a party. Leo McGarry screws with his daughter's dating life just because he can. It all hits the same Don't You Think Of My Daughter Or Sister That Way (Also Women Are Objects Sans Agency And Must Fear Other Men) note. I guess it's not super surprising that Sorkin is misogynist but this stuff stands out to me in a way it didn't twelve years ago.

Seeing Toby without the beard pisses me off

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It set the tone for the movie, which made every other dumb thing like easy to gloss over because when they're revealed you're just like "oh this is a dumb movie."

It was the cocking the gun of making a dumb action film.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

John Big Booty posted:

It was late 80s, and it was called Probe.

How the hell I remember this poo poo 25 years later, I don't know, but I feel a tinge of shame.

Thank you for this - I've been trying to remember that name of the show for years. It was so stupid, I was starting to believe I had imagined it.

Of course, for the longest time I also thought I had imagined the Star Wars Holiday Special and Bea Arthur singing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

LeJackal posted:

Bad Boys 2 - The entire movie. Smith and Lawrence's cop characters constantly, repeatedly break the law in the terms of many warrant-less illegal searches and wiretaps, on which they attempt to get legitimate warrants; not to mention all the wanton violence and intimidation they engage in! The bad guy is notorious for having good lawyers and getting out from under charges, and these guys are sabotaging their own case! Yet despite their repeated willful violations and bungling of their case, and interference with the DEA's case, they still keep their jobs! In fact, at the end of the movie they stage a miniature scale invasion of Cuba, sneaking into the country, murdering many of its citizens and also killing many of their soldiers. At then end of the movie they are back in the States, still with their jobs and doing fine - which is loving insane!

:911: The Movie.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Kevin Costner's "Boston" accent in 13 Days is just horrible to the point of being really distracting, which is bad because I'm watching that movie in history class and I need to pay attention. It sounds so goddamn fake and I don't think I've heard a worse one out there.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

LeJackal posted:

Examples: Die Hard With a Vengeance - In the aqueduct tunnel, McClane empties a magazine into the stopped truck before he knows who is in it! Luckily bad guys were in the cab, but he only has a suspicion that it could possibly be them!

Isn't that also the one where one of the Bad guys realizes he was double crossed by the other bad guys. Encounters McClane, puts his hands up, and says don't shoot. After which McClane pops him one in the noodle killing him. Not only was it bad and wrong, but that guy theoretically would have actively helped McClane since he know he was double crossed. I realize it was when he was escaping from a ship about to explode, but just braining a dude with no weapon... ugh.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Lap-Lem posted:

Isn't that also the one where one of the Bad guys realizes he was double crossed by the other bad guys. Encounters McClane, puts his hands up, and says don't shoot. After which McClane pops him one in the noodle killing him. Not only was it bad and wrong, but that guy theoretically would have actively helped McClane since he know he was double crossed. I realize it was when he was escaping from a ship about to explode, but just braining a dude with no weapon... ugh.

He wasn't even escaping a ship about to explode - he was just exploring the hold of the cargo ship way before the bomb thing became an issue. So essentially McClane executed someone that was surrendering, and in so doing committing cold-blooded murder.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lap-Lem posted:

I think you're getting parts mixed up. The other "Head Guy" doesn't realize he's been double-crossed until after McClane is captured. That was just some ordinary mook that felt his share wasn't worth possibly dying for after seeing McClane mow through about 100 of his friends.

The guy that realizes they are double-crossed gets killed by the woman he thought was his GF, but who was banging Jeremy Irons.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Hey the man gets results.

WOMEN
[McBain has just shot up everyone in a meeting] Well, you certainly broke up that meeting!

MCBAIN
Right now, I'm thinking of starting another meeting. In bed! [they kiss]

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think you're getting parts mixed up. The other "Head Guy" doesn't realize he's been double-crossed until after McClane is captured. That was just some ordinary mook that felt his share wasn't worth possibly dying for after seeing McClane mow through about 100 of his friends.

The guy that realizes they are double-crossed gets killed by the woman he thought was his GF, but who was banging Jeremy Irons.

Wrongo. The entire reason that really tall explosive expert guy (Largo?) is down in the hold is because his guy (who McClane murders in cold blood) found the scrap metal and brought it to Largo's attention.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LeJackal posted:

Wrongo. The entire reason that really tall explosive expert guy (Largo?) is down in the hold is because his guy (who McClane murders in cold blood) found the scrap metal and brought it to Largo's attention.

If it's what I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure the reason McClane straight up shoots the guy is because A) he was until recently a bad guy, and B) in the first Die Hard a man taught McClane, "Next time you have a chance to kill someone, don't hesitate!" It's a call-back.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The guy McClane murders in cold blood is a random mook with no importance to the plot, and he says "Nicht schiessen!" which is German for "don't shoot!", as the enormous Lurch-looking dude who Simon double-crosses informs him before kicking the poo poo out of him.

McClane shot anyway because he doesn't speak German and was presumably on a hair trigger after the day's events.

e: Or maybe he's the guy who brought the scrap metal to Lurch, I don't remember.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Nov 18, 2013

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The guy McClane murders in cold blood is a random mook with no importance to the plot, and he says "Nicht schiessen!" which is German for "don't shoot!", as the enormous Lurch-looking dude who Simon double-crosses informs him before kicking the poo poo out of him.

McClane shot anyway because he doesn't speak German and was presumably on a hair trigger after the day's events.

e: Or maybe he's the guy who brought the scrap metal to Lurch, I don't remember.

He is the guy who brings the scrap metal to Lurch (I want to say his name is Targo, maybe?), which is why Lurch can so easily kick McClane in the face after he shoots the dude - he's on top of the container checking it's contents.

As someone already pointed it out, it's partly a call back to the whole "next time you get a chance to kill someone" bit in the first Die Hard, but it's also partly a cautionary tale about the dangers of annoying John McClane - he's in a bit of a violent mood by that point, as the random mook he caught walking through a door a few minutes earlier would attest, if he hadn't just had a bulkhead slammed on his head a half dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Gorilla Salad posted:

Of course, for the longest time I also thought I had imagined the Star Wars Holiday Special and Bea Arthur singing.

You did. It didn't happen.

It didn't happen.

It didn't happen.

It. Didn't. Happen.

• Locked thread