Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, but one can argue, too, that back when ZFS had the age of BTRFS now, it had more features, was seen as more stable and was already distributed in Solaris 10. That's why I'm asking.

BTRFS work started around 2008 and entered the linux kernel in 2009 so is around 5 years old. ZFS work was started somewhere around 2001 and was officially released in OpenSolaris Nevada 36 in 2005 but only made Solaris in 2006 so was roughly as old when it was available in Solaris as BTRFS is now.

I'd argue that the feature difference at 5 years is kind of a wash. ZFS had RAIDZ1 (not Z2) officially supported at release but BTRFS lets you change RAID levels, shrink volumes, and efficiently utilize heterogeneous disk configurations dynamically (e.g. it can completely fill up an array of two 1TB and one 2TB disks depending on which RAID level you choose). I also don't think ZFS had compression at release while BTRFS does but don't quote me on that.

Stability is a separate issue entirely and I don't have any experience with "5 year old" ZFS to comment about that. I'm fairly certain, however, that back in '05/'06 people were not running to roll out production systems in ZFS and instead doing preliminary testing to iron out issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I just want to say that I cross-compiled zfs for linux 32 bit powerpc and it made me want to shoot myself. This doesn't reflect on the quality of zfs in any way, it's just something I've wanted to vent about for a while.

It was also like my first experience building linux/open source stuff. 6 months prior to that, my only impression of linux was "yeah its just like command prompt but you type ls instead of dir" ~I've come so far~

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Since OS X is Unix-based, does this make porting software between it and Linux (and vice versa) easy compared to Windows?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
No.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Baron Bifford posted:

Since OS X is Unix-based, does this make porting software between it and Linux (and vice versa) easy compared to Windows?

Yes and no. While OSX is UNIX (it's certified UNIX, though z/OS is also "UNIX", which tells you something) and Linux is mostly POSIX-compliant, there are still a fair amount of applications on Linux which essentially rely on gnu-isms and don't work well on non-gcc compilers or systems that use another libc. Conversely, all the OSX software you'd want to "port" is probably written in Cocoa (an Objective-C windowing framework) and uses frameworks which may or may not have been ported as part of the Darwin project or reverse engineered as part of GNUstep (CoreData is, CoreVideo probably isn't, etc).

Generally, command-line applications and servers port easily. GUI applications port from Linux to OSX without any problem (once you wedge an X server onto OSX). GUI applications from OSX don't to go Linux at all. Windowing frameworks from Linux may port to OSX without any problems, but may not.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Baron Bifford posted:

Both have a kernel that is unixlike but the majority of applications you care about probably don't use many kernel features and are actually programmed against system specific APIs like Cocoa or Directx or whatever.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I'm teaching a co-worker RHEL / CentOS. Can anyone recommend a book / web page / training course with exercises that assume he's using a blank or vanilla system? Stuff like Red Hat training has great exercises but it assumes you are sitting in one of their labs or classrooms. I would like something that assumes he installed the OS off the DVD and did not do any special configuration or, as an alternative, something that makes very few assumptions (eg: static IP + one unused partition or something like that).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

I'm teaching a co-worker RHEL / CentOS. Can anyone recommend a book / web page / training course with exercises that assume he's using a blank or vanilla system? Stuff like Red Hat training has great exercises but it assumes you are sitting in one of their labs or classrooms. I would like something that assumes he installed the OS off the DVD and did not do any special configuration or, as an alternative, something that makes very few assumptions (eg: static IP + one unused partition or something like that).

Try the deployment guide.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

Try the deployment guide.

This is interesting - is this free, link?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
That looks perfect, thanks!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

This is interesting - is this free, link?

Here.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I am looking into setting up something to audit all commands on our CentOS systems. I don't know much about this but we want to record every command input by a user in the shell, it would be nice have whatever happens under mysql, too, but that isn't crucial.

Can auditd already do this and we just need to set up? I found some hacked together scripts that aren't auditd related but I'm sure this is already a solved problem and I just can't find the solution.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sylink posted:

I am looking into setting up something to audit all commands on our CentOS systems. I don't know much about this but we want to record every command input by a user in the shell, it would be nice have whatever happens under mysql, too, but that isn't crucial.

Can auditd already do this and we just need to set up? I found some hacked together scripts that aren't auditd related but I'm sure this is already a solved problem and I just can't find the solution.

IANAE on selinux, but I think you would only be able to log which binaries were accessed. I don't know of any way to capture the full command line of every command run. You should be able to get the mysql commands through a config tweak about logging, but it may affect performance.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

keyvin posted:

IANAE on selinux, but I think you would only be able to log which binaries were accessed. I don't know of any way to capture the full command line of every command run. You should be able to get the mysql commands through a config tweak about logging, but it may affect performance.

SElinux isn't even remotely appropriate.

auditd is the correct answer.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

evol262 posted:

SElinux isn't even remotely appropriate.

auditd is the correct answer.

I thought auditd was part of selinux???

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

keyvin posted:

I thought auditd was part of selinux???

No, it just uses it for logging apparently.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
Install and set everyone's shell to sudosh2.

quote:

sudosh is an auditing shell filter and can be used as a login shell. Sudosh records all keystrokes and output and can play back the session as just like a VCR.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Valve is planning to release a gaming console called Steam Machine, which will operate on a Linux-based OS called SteamOS. How much is known about this? How different will SteamOS be from desktop distributions? Will I be able to play SteamOS games on my Linux desktop? Will it be easy to port games from Steam Machine to desktop and vice versa?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 13, 2013

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Baron Bifford posted:

Valve is planning to release a gaming console called Steam Machine, which will operate on a Linux-based OS called SteamOS. How much is known about this? How different will SteamOS be from desktop distributions? Will I be able to play SteamOS games on my Linux desktop? Will it be easy to port games from Steam Machine to desktop and vice versa?

As far as I can gather, steamOS is just a linux kernel with a custom UI slapped on top. It may provide a traditional desktop/shell access, but I doubt it, that's not the focus for valve.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Cool. So if Steam Machine kicks off, that means we'll see a lot more games coming out for Linux desktops, right? That's Valve master plan, isn't it?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Question. I use a cloud storage aggregator, storagemadeeasy.com, to access my cloud services without Linux clients. Their Linux client has the distinct advantage that it actually exists, but the disadvantage that it's slow as balls. What's the best way to sync with local directories?

I was thinking I would use Unison and an hourly cron job with a lock, but is there a better way? Something that's responsive to changes in files rather than searching everything? Unison will probably take 24 hours to run. The service offers SFTP and WebDAV access in case there's some program that can automatically manage local syncs from SFTP or WebDAV mounts.

\/ \/ rsync, duh. Thanks.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 13, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

3spades posted:

Install and set everyone's shell to sudosh2.

If you're going to go with some ridiculous shell solution, you should just use bashlogger, But since auditd is part of the base repositories and provides a superset of functionality, there's no good reason to use any sort of weird shell logging mechanism, particularly given that auditd can be extended for full compliance for almost anything you want, whereas the only thing "sudosh2" and bashlogger really fulfill is the PCI "log all commands" requirement.

Baron Bifford posted:

Baron Bifford posted:

Cool. So if Steam Machine kicks off, that means we'll see a lot more games coming out for Linux desktops, right? That's Valve master plan, isn't it?
Valve's master plan is "we have more control over the OS on Linux, and we can squeeze more performance out of our crap" (early tests by Valve showed Source-based games running faster than on Windows after they fixed some bugs), as well as "get out of the Microsoft ecosystem" and "make more developers write OpenGL" (which, incidentally, will make porting games to OSX easier, which is a growing market segment).

SteamOS is probably based on some distro, but I don't know which one. Early reports said Debian. Then Ubuntu. Then Gentoo. Then who knows. But it's likely that they'll end up Gentoo-based for the same reasons as ChromeOS.

That said, SteamOS is Linux. There are about 0% odds that Valve has rewritten anything, and they'd have to rerelease the vast majority of modified sources when they shipped a product anyway unless they only used BSD-licensed stuff. The SteamOS games will use the same drivers, the same graphics layers, the same DRI, and the same libraries. There's no reason to believe that any game will be available on "SteamOS" that won't be on Steam on Linux. Just that SteamOS is a 10-foot appliance OS which doesn't do anything but Steam.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Question. I use a cloud storage aggregator, storagemadeeasy.com, to access my cloud services without Linux clients. Their Linux client has the distinct advantage that it actually exists, but the disadvantage that it's slow as balls. What's the best way to sync with local directories?

I was thinking I would use Unison and an hourly cron job with a lock, but is there a better way? Something that's responsive to changes in files rather than searching everything? Unison will probably take 24 hours to run. The service offers SFTP and WebDAV access in case there's some program that can automatically manage local syncs from SFTP or WebDAV mounts.

davfs or sshfs + rsync.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
SteamOS is based on Debian now. It was based on Ubuntu when Canonical had them as a customer, but they've now been driven to another Linux consulting firm. I don't think I'm allowed to say which one.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know how to make the Xbox360 controller's audio jack functional in Linux Mint. I verified that it's functional under Windows, it just doesn't play audio through Linux.

Edit: The wired controller. Not the Wireless. The Gamepad works fine for playing games but this headset needs to run through it.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 13, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It doesn't seem like the transfer protocol for the Xbox 360 headset has been reverse engineered yet.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a means of avoiding the Xbox360 controller entirely? I have this http://direct.asda.com/AX1-R-Amplified-HD-Gaming-Headset---Xbox-360/003717085,default,pd.html just laying around and I'd like to use it since my real headset just died. The pin seems to be smaller than a 3.5mm jack. It has USB that I've plugged in and and two RCA jacks that appear to do nothing without some sort of dongle. The Xbox360 has the most convoluted loving idiotic scheme for Headsets I've ever seen. This console was made in this millennium, USE loving USB FOR THE ENTIRE THING.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 13, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

YouTuber posted:

Is there a means of avoiding the Xbox360 controller entirely? I have this http://direct.asda.com/AX1-R-Amplified-HD-Gaming-Headset---Xbox-360/003717085,default,pd.html just laying around and I'd like to use it since my real headset just died. The pin seems to be smaller than a 3.5mm jack. It has USB that I've plugged in and and two RCA jacks that appear to do nothing without some sort of dongle. The Xbox360 has the most convoluted loving idiotic scheme for Headsets I've ever seen. This console was made in this millennium, USE loving USB FOR THE ENTIRE THING.

99% odds it's a 2.5mm jack which'll work as expected with this.

The "USB" is probably for output from a PS3 or something, though plugging it into your machine and checking "lsusb" then matching the device ID against the ALSA database (or posting it here so somebody else can) may tell you something useful.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

evol262 posted:

99% odds it's a 2.5mm jack which'll work as expected with this.

The "USB" is probably for output from a PS3 or something, though plugging it into your machine and checking "lsusb" then matching the device ID against the ALSA database (or posting it here so somebody else can) may tell you something useful.

Yeah, I'm not loving with this thing. I just bought a legit Logitech PC USB headset. As a neatfreak I couldn't stand all these loving extraneous wires all over the place. Not to mention I have my doubts that the 2.5mm adapter would actually solve the problem. The headaches jsut aren't worth it.

To be fair I want a USB based Headset so I can assign Mumble to it and leave the games audio on the speakers or vice versa.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can get USB sound cards for a couple of bucks on dealextreme.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't think I'm allowed to say which one.
Do you work for Valve?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Baron Bifford posted:

Do you work for Valve?

Dish works for Red Hat on desktop-y stuff, but that's not an indication that SteamOS is based on Red Hat (there are a lot of ways you could come by NDA'd knowledge if you are or work closely with the kind of core contributors that Valve would pay to have as a consultant while they were trying to figure out some murky performance issue with xorg-x11-drv-whatever or what have you).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yep, I work for Red Hat. I was chatting with a colleague at another consulting firm (we all work together in the OSS world), and he let it slip. I'm not going to say anything more — let's leave it at that.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
So there's a bunch of benchmarking that needs to be done on cross-sections of several different hardware platforms and operating systems. I've got the hardware platforms, which are just a mishmash of expected use-cases, split between servers and high-powered workstations from more recent eras. I am tasked with making all the target operating systems available for benchmarking on each of these systems.

Can't be virtualized; gotta be on the metal. My plan was to get a pair of identical HDDs for each platform, put four partitions on each, install all the loving OSes I got, and then manually point a GRUB2 bootloader at each of them so there isn't a disgusting morass of inoperable linux poo poo and cascading windows bootloaders that daisy chain into each other individually until you go back to XP.

I... Don't really know how to make that happen, though. I imagine I should install each of the operating systems in turn and just make sure they can all boot after they're installed, ignore it when subsequent installations break the preceding ones, and then install GRUB2 standalone- which is also something I've never tried. Any primers I can read on this? I am also open to alternate suggestions.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
An old friend of mine used to swear by DR-Dos as a base for crazy multibooting or system recovery schemes. Once you have booted to dos you can chainload basically everything from there.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Eikre posted:

So there's a bunch of benchmarking that needs to be done on cross-sections of several different hardware platforms and operating systems. I've got the hardware platforms, which are just a mishmash of expected use-cases, split between servers and high-powered workstations from more recent eras. I am tasked with making all the target operating systems available for benchmarking on each of these systems.

Can't be virtualized; gotta be on the metal. My plan was to get a pair of identical HDDs for each platform, put four partitions on each, install all the loving OSes I got, and then manually point a GRUB2 bootloader at each of them so there isn't a disgusting morass of inoperable linux poo poo and cascading windows bootloaders that daisy chain into each other individually until you go back to XP.

I... Don't really know how to make that happen, though. I imagine I should install each of the operating systems in turn and just make sure they can all boot after they're installed, ignore it when subsequent installations break the preceding ones, and then install GRUB2 standalone- which is also something I've never tried. Any primers I can read on this? I am also open to alternate suggestions.
Unless you have a very good reason not to, you should be provisioning over PXE with a mix of Jumpstart, Ignite-UX, Kickstart, Puppet, Chef, SCCM, WDS, and even Clonezilla/Ghostcasting if you need to.

It's faster, easier, and much more maintainable (not to mention upgrading packages and running the same test) to boot up, press F12, let PXE take over, and walk away.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, my windows sbs 2008 server is biting the dust. I've moved my exchange server to a cloud provider, so really all my onsite server is doing is file replication, dhcp, dns, and active directory services.

I really want to give owncloud a try, and would prefer to just load linux on the machine, but as far as I know there's no Active Directory replacement/emulator for linux? am I right about that? I'd really like to retain group policy-esque control over my workstations, and LDAP sounds like a loving nightmare to get encrypted and working with windows clients ala a domain controller, so I don't wanna do Samba's LDAP thing.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mindphlux posted:

I really want to give owncloud a try, and would prefer to just load linux on the machine, but as far as I know there's no Active Directory replacement/emulator for linux? am I right about that? I'd really like to retain group policy-esque control over my workstations, and LDAP sounds like a loving nightmare to get encrypted and working with windows clients ala a domain controller, so I don't wanna do Samba's LDAP thing.
Take a step back and ask yourself why.

Samba4 is an AD peer. They worked with Microsoft. Samba's "LDAP thing" is exactly the same as AD's "LDAP thing" with Samba4, and you can have a Windows-less domain (in practice, you still need the AD snapins to manage GPO). But AD is LDAP+DNS+DHCP+Kerberos. You can do all these things with Samba4, and you can hack together something yourself which mostly works. But would you prefer to run Linux for something Windows already does extremely well?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

evol262 posted:

Take a step back and ask yourself why.

Samba4 is an AD peer. They worked with Microsoft. Samba's "LDAP thing" is exactly the same as AD's "LDAP thing" with Samba4, and you can have a Windows-less domain (in practice, you still need the AD snapins to manage GPO). But AD is LDAP+DNS+DHCP+Kerberos. You can do all these things with Samba4, and you can hack together something yourself which mostly works. But would you prefer to run Linux for something Windows already does extremely well?

that's a valid point. I think the two reasons I'm wanting to ditch windows are A. the file sync (folder redirection) is a nightmare. and B. the hardware I'm using is a bit dated - SBS 2008 is pushing it to its limits, and I feel like a linux refresh would get me much more streamlined without spending gobs of money upgrading.

but you're right, sbs is great at what it does... I guess I could just rebuild the machine and fix the failing components...

I did however just run across this distro called Zentyal - it purports to do some GPO management and more or less be seamless "AD" implementation, with a few minor caveats - http://www.zentyal.org/

doubt anyone here has used it?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mindphlux posted:

that's a valid point. I think the two reasons I'm wanting to ditch windows are A. the file sync (folder redirection) is a nightmare. and B. the hardware I'm using is a bit dated - SBS 2008 is pushing it to its limits, and I feel like a linux refresh would get me much more streamlined without spending gobs of money upgrading.

but you're right, sbs is great at what it does... I guess I could just rebuild the machine and fix the failing components...

I did however just run across this distro called Zentyal - it purports to do some GPO management and more or less be seamless "AD" implementation, with a few minor caveats - http://www.zentyal.org/

doubt anyone here has used it?

A Linux refresh would get you more streamlined, but new hardware is $500 these days.

Zentyal is an appliance which makes administering it brainless. Samba4 is also brainless and does everything Zentyal does (and is, in fact, what Zentyal is using), plus you can use it on a non-obscure distro.

It's more that if you're replacing Windows just because you want Linux to go do everything Windows does, but hackier, you're not gaining anything whatsoever over buying a $600 Poweredge with 2k12R2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't use a Linux to do a Windows. ;)

I have heard of zentyal but have never heard any first person accounts of anyone using it.