Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Tapsilog without egg ain't tapsilog! It literally means "tapa (jerky), sinangag (fried rice), itlog (egg)". Scramble that stuff though; I've never had good sunny-side-up eggs in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

My grandparents live in a German farmer area in the Midwest and we had all sorts of blastin rear end sausages growing up and Thai Northern Sausage is very good. I also really like a sai krok Issan but have to be in the mood for it. The rest of the sausages out there are kinda lame, never tried the Filipino ones but I do put store bought Longansia in my chili when I make it here in the states.
I thought this was terrible slang for something, and spent a good 10 seconds trying to figure out what before it hit me what you were saying.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If only we'd had one good Czech or German colony here :qq:

On a related note, one of the funnier trends on poo poo local forums like ThaiVisa is that when a newcomer to Pattaya or Phuket or something arrives and asks what kind of business to start, everyone responds, "Make proper sausages mate, can't lose. Ain't enough of 'em."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I watched a video of Gordon Ramsay eat a loving sausage roll (British corn dog) like it was the world's tastiest cock.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
More and more I'm convinced that every longer-term tourist here should just buy a mountain bike and sell it back at the end. You can stow them free on (TG) planes and buses and load them on trains for 90 Baht and they grant you so much freedom when you arrive somewhere. There's a fantastic riverside weekend market - totally authentic - next to the in-laws' house in Saraburi with organic roasted chicken and nam prik setups and a ton of food and trinkets to shop from that's a 20 minute ride from the train station. I've done so many of these weekend day trips that I could write a drat book of, "Get on the train/bus and then..." I don't think with a motorbike you can be as portable, as a plane and a bus won't take one, and you can't rent motorbikes or bikes in about 99% of Thailand - only the main tourist cities/areas.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

In Laos, reasonably fit people should just travel by bicycle (I would say motorcycle, but with motorcycles I think there's a red-tape-laden process of 'importing' one into the country and the market in Laos seems to be terrible for buying any kind of vehicle). I was bicycling as many kilometers in a day as my travel buddies were doing by bus at only about twice the time but with the freedom to come and go as I pleased rather than squeeze everything in on the bus schedules, and once I got somewhere it was rad to just be able to wander around. Plus I got so many more "SABAIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"s from little children than they did. :smuggo:

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
This is a wonderful thread with lots of wonderful information, but a lot to take in. Considering going to the region for 2-3 weeks (Mid Dec to early Jan) and am trying to get a handle on what would be a reasonable amount to do/plan. Just Thailand? Thailand + an out-of-country sight or two like Angkor Wat? 10 days in two different countries? What kind of itineraries have people found to be the most satisfying? I know lots of people are warning not to over-plan, but I assume some accommodations will need to be figured out in advance.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

In my experience, the only accommodation you need to book before arriving in the country is your first one after arriving so you have a bed to crash in after your flight.

But that's high season so hm. If you're not going to someplace like Koh Tao you should be okay with booking places as you go while there if you're not overly fussy about what kind of place you want to stay at. I tend to book a day or two before I get there.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

From what you wrote, I am assuming you are a semi-budget traveler from a cold-ish western country, probably the U.S. I also assume it's your first time away from your home continent, or at least away from a first world country. I also assume you are not super picky but you don't want to stay in places with shared bathrooms and no hot water.

If you want to have an itinerary, a reasonable 3 week itinerary might look like this, depending on your tastes:
Day 1: Bangkok
Day 2-5: Ayuthaya, Sukhothai, and/or Lopburi (Ayuthaya and Sukhothai have fairly impressive ruins and temples, but they'll look very boring if you go after Siem Reap. I throw in Lopburi there because I loved it, but there's actually not a whole lot there except it's awesome to walk around a city infested with monkeys)
Day 6-9: Siem Reap for the Angkor ruins. Don't skimp out on this stuff!
Day 10-18: Koh Tao or Koh Phangan (island, beach, sun, diving/snorkeling, etc)
Day 19-21: Bangkok

If you don't mind a little adventure, then try this itinerary:
Day 1: Get off the flight, get on a taxi and ask for "KHAO SAN ROAD! USE METER KHAP!" Wander into the first acceptable looking accommodation you find and then find friends while drinking the first night and find out where to go from there.

Also, your last assumption is wrong. Literally NO accommodation needs to be planned in advance.

EDIT: Oh I didn't consider it's super high season. Most of the places I listed still shouldn't need advance booking, except Koh Tao or Koh Phangan - those definitely will need to be booked in advance.

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 10, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Caveat on the accommodation for December. That's the apex of high season, so if you want a specific place in super-touristy December cities like Samui (Scandinavia empties out for Christmas, apparently) or whatever then you should book it at least a few weeks in advance. This will also be true for tiny markets that could be oversaturated. Flights and trains as well. Again, for accommodations, that's only if you want a specific place (i.e. Lotus Village in Sukhothai or FCC in Siem Reap or whatever). Flights, trains and so on you should try to get as early as is reasonable during that specific period because you can get hosed. For accommodations, if you just don't care where you're staying and are backpacking there will always be capacity.

I mention this because I got cocked out of a train trip to Samui last New Year because I waited until the last minute to book and NO HAB. The officer actually laughed at me. "You think you can show up two days before NYE and buy a ticket to Surat Thani for an hour or two from then? We're sold out for 3 days coming and going you stupid white person!" Then I rode to the bus station and the entire lawn was full of people literally camping there waiting to go home for the holiday. They, also, laughed at me.

EDIT: Also, I agree with eviljelly's itinerary generally speaking. Good mix. Adding that Air Asia now flies to REP from DMK. I just flew it a couple of weeks ago with Dad. It's still an expensive route, but they're usually cheaper than Bangkok Airways if you book in advance. Also, re-recommending the new Velkommen in Siem Reap, though it's about halfway to the temples, so it's 2-3m from Pub Street in a tuk tuk and about 10m from Angkor Wat. If you want to be right downtown it's not the place for you, but if you want a quieter place where you can bike or ride to the temples a bit more quickly then it's not bad. Edvin, the owner, is quite helpful and the staff's good too. If you're a runner, ask him about running the temple wall trail (he'll probably take you on a morning run with him if you want to go), he's a font of knowledge and I always enjoy having a few beers with him and listening to the wisdom.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 10, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I still don't understand the don't book accommodation thing? Just to give you more freedom or is it just :effort:?

I'm a huge fan of booking accommodation by phone, i like to have a nicer place (while paying the same as just a random place) while traveling and i don't want to waste even an hour looking for one while there.

If you're just sitting in your office out of country planning your vacation then why not send the email or call?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

(British corn dog)

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah I'm with DontAskKant about booking here. I always just found a place on Tripadvisor/asked other travelers about my next destination a couple days before arrival. There's only so many times you want to walk around a tourist ghetto after getting off a bus asking about vacancies.

And drat, the Lopburi monkey festival is soon. Wish I could make it. Really want to go to Lopburi for some dumb reason.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I think it's a good idea to check TripAdvisor, but there's no substitute for being on the ground either. It's like picking restaurants using TripAdvisor. Somehow the one with the most signs that say WE HELP TRAIN AND GIVE BACK TO LOCAL PEOPLE is always #1. :iiam:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A lot of times trip advisor bookings/ online bookings don't deliver what's promised :ohdear: Being a temporary bum aka world wide traveler has its uses: You can always decide to just leave the city/place the next day and go some where else.

The "Just book your first night and bring your ATM card" mentality is more of a 1 month+ vacation thing/depends on your personality. Even a 3 week schedule for me wants to go to different cities and see different things and meet different goons.

What really matters most is :10bux: It's a Venn diagram of convenience/price. Some people like to bum around to look for some savings. Sometimes you strike lucky and get save 20 USD for 5 minutes other times not so much.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Why do people talk poo poo on saigon so much? It's been an awesome 5 days, and everything is stupid cheap

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Anyone been to Tam Cốc-Bích Động yet?

:laugh:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

xcdude24 posted:

Why do people talk poo poo on saigon so much? It's been an awesome 5 days, and everything is stupid cheap
They do? This thread makes it sound amazing.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

They do? This thread makes it sound amazing.

It's a very love-hate place. I don't know anyone who has a neutral opinion on it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
From what I gather from friends who have lived there, I think I'd like it fine other than the lack of public transport. As a first-time tourist there, a very obnoxious city/people to deal with. That's be my fairest take.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

From what I gather from friends who have lived there, I think I'd like it fine other than the lack of public transport. As a first-time tourist there, a very obnoxious city/people to deal with. That's be my fairest take.

I walked or used public transit in Hanoi and Saigon and found it about the same if not more pleasant than Korean city buses. Screw touts and taxis. Though my policy is usually if someone talks to me in English i ignore them, especially if they are selling something and are talking AT me.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Two functional boat lines, a skytrain, a subway, an airport link, a BRT and the best expressway network of the Southeast Asian metropolises have me a bit spoiled on this count. Still, you know, I'm not saying it'd make it unlivable, but it's a serious consideration for living in a huge city. The guys I talk to who live there complain a lot about traffic and the government's half-assed, poorly planned solutions. Can't be anywhere near as bad as Manila, though, and I don't even want to contemplate Jakarta. The MRT/LRT in Manila helps a bit, but they lack the extensive and effective expressway infrastructure. My personal worst was something like 4-5 hours from the airport to Ortigas in rush hour traffic. That's loving staggering and exactly what the old time Bangkok expats say it was like here before the expressway system came in.

EDIT: In case anyone misreads, obviously Singapore has the best public transit around here without question, but it's an island of developed world in a sea of developing world.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 11, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Guess i got to check out Bangkok at some point. I haven't been yet and I'm kind if feeling stubborn about it, kind of like how i haven't seen Terminator 2 yet. I don't have a good reason except i haven't done it in so long that it's kind of embarrassing now.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I keep hearing rumours that they want to start up the bus service in Phnom Penh again. The main flaw in that plan is that nobody here can be bothered to walk to the bus stop.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Yeah, out of everywhere I've visited in SE Asia, Bangkok seems to be the most liveable. To me at least, it has a great mix of Thai food/street life, modern amenities, and public trans (I drive like a grandma back home; you couldn't pay me to drive a scooter around any SE Asian city). Plus the locals in Bangkok have to be the friendliest out of any major city I've been to worldwide. At first glance, you see this huge messy city. After being around the locals a bit, they kind of give off something akin to a small town vibe: always chatting poo poo with one another, cracking jokes, etc. I found Thais (outside the ones dealing with farang 24/7) to be a bit shy at first, but super nice.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tytan posted:

I keep hearing rumours that they want to start up the bus service in Phnom Penh again. The main flaw in that plan is that nobody here can be bothered to walk to the bus stop.

Easy, they can do it Philippine-style: the entire road is a bus terminal as far as they're concerned.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I won't consider a Cambodian bus system a success until the bus aisles are packed with locals sitting on little plastic chairs.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Having lived in both Saigon and Bangkok, I'd say traffic is MUCH worse in Bangkok despite the mass transit options. Saigon feels a lot smaller, and everyone is on scooters. Except for during peak rush hour, it takes about 20 minutes to get just about anywhere you'd want to go as an expat. The biggest problem with living in Saigon is theft. Everything you own will get stolen eventually. Your laptop, your iPhone, your motorcycle, your shoes, even your underwear (yes, I speak from experience).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I think you may be doing something wrong there, Smeef. Heh.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

I won't consider a Cambodian bus system a success until the bus aisles are packed with locals sitting on little plastic chairs.
Haha, yes. And a small TV showing a man in blackface chasing a dwarf in a monkey suit.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Congrats to Cambodia for winning Preah Vihear! http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2013/11/un-rule-thai-cambodian-border-row-201311116485209849.html

Me and ReindeerF are dancing and celebrating in our special t-shirts.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

DontAskKant posted:

I still don't understand the don't book accommodation thing? Just to give you more freedom or is it just :effort:?

I'm a huge fan of booking accommodation by phone, i like to have a nicer place (while paying the same as just a random place) while traveling and i don't want to waste even an hour looking for one while there.

If you're just sitting in your office out of country planning your vacation then why not send the email or call?

Also bear in mind that you could find the nicest place in town online but once you arrive at the bus/rail station or airport you're kind of screwed if absolutely nobody knows where it is. Since the only requirement to be a taxi driver in SE Asia is the ability to own or acquire a car (having a sense of direction is optional, as is the ability to actually drive) this happens surprisingly often.

Me and my friend rocked up in Ban Chang to go paragliding today. We got off the bus at 7pm, crossed the road to the first hotel we saw and got a room for 270 baht. Our budget was 300 and we haggled down from 500. Go us!

270 baht is US$9 and it's perfectly clean, has a TV, en-suite, fridge etc. Bit noisy but nine dollars for crying out loud.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

this happens surprisingly often.
Especially in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. I speak a smidgen of Khmer, just enough to do the turn left/turn right/go straight and so on, but that, looking it up ahead of time and memorizing nearby pagoda names or very established business names are the only ways I get places sometimes. God help the poor tourist who stands there saying, "STREET 144 OKAY?" assuming that any of the drivers know what any street number is, heh.

No matter what you say in Cambodia, the answer is, "Yeah, yeah, yeah I know I know."

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
"Sussaday. You know electric company, road 6?"

"Yes yes, lets go"

*ten minutes later*

"This is the post office."

"Oh, where you want to go?"

"The electric company."

"I don't know where that is. Ask in post office."

Can't fault the logic at least.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I have to say, as long as you keep your composure and play along you'll always get there - eventually. Heh.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I never travel without maps and data access for that reason. Call up the hostel and have them give directions. Or just tell them where to go. Sometimes i have to be more forceful like in Vietnam. Directions for the museum, go straight/south down this long rear end road, i don't pay attention and realize we are going west on some small crowded market street. WTH! yell glare? (still haven't yelled in Asia yet even with teaching) at him in what little Vietnamese I know to follow my directions and give him just enough for what the fare would have been if he had gone the right way with heavy traffic. I still have to do this in Korea. And this is with the guys typing in the address in their huge gps.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Can Koreans use maps? Bangkokians in particular often have a weird inability to use or comprehend maps, generally speaking. Cardinal directions are also pretty useless here. Everything is just landmarks for the most part. Outside of Bangkok, as in rural America, direction sense is often quite a bit better.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Most Koreans in Seoul (that I've met) don't know much outside of their immediate home area. Apparently i know more about Seoul than my friends who've lived here for 30 years.

I'm starting to get the idea that knowing cardinal directions is as common as beekeeping. I get poo poo from expats here all the time for using cardinal directions. I think map use is a similarly archaic skill. Haven't been back state side in a long time so maybe my "oh god Asia" problems are just 21st century problems now.

I had a long exchange in Vietnam that went a little like this. I was calling someone about meeting at the west gate of one of the famous markets.
Okay meet me here (send a whatsapp google map pin)
-just tell me where you are
Okay, I'm at the west gate of... market.
-where is that?
North of the main pink cathedral with the roundabout.
-just tell me where you are.
Okay, I'm at the corner of X and Y.
-i don't know where those are
Look at this map, I've pinned it and they're major streets.
-what's nearby?
(i name 6 things that seemed famous or identifiable and give an address for one if the buildings.)
-huh
Okay, where are you? I'll come there and get you.
-nah, just tell me where you are. I'm near a market.
Which one, I'll go there. Send me a map, or market name, or intersection.
-don't worry about it, where are you...

This goes on for far too long. I just assumed there was some weird way Vietnamese give directions that doesn't include my normal repertoire.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Ringo R posted:

Anyone been to Tam Cốc-Bích Động yet?

:laugh:

I did a day trip to Tam Coc, it was great. Your picture really captures the landscape. But the best part was our boat "captain." He said his name was "Number One." He was hilarious the whole time, and then we got him drunk on the way back. A better boat party than Ha Long bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Most Koreans in Seoul (that I've met) don't know much outside of their immediate home area. Apparently i know more about Seoul than my friends who've lived here for 30 years.

I'm starting to get the idea that knowing cardinal directions is as common as beekeeping. I get poo poo from expats here all the time for using cardinal directions. I think map use is a similarly archaic skill. Haven't been back state side in a long time so maybe my "oh god Asia" problems are just 21st century problems now.

I think it's also an Old World/New World thing. Us New Worlders are used to cities being built in grids, more or less, which makes cardinal directions pretty useful. If your cities are full of windy streets that veer all over the place, it helps a lot less.

Source: living in Germany. The Germans hardly ever use cardinal directions to orient themselves and MY GERMAN GIRLFRIEND told me about how none of her college friends seemed to understand even the simplest cardinal directions.