Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

KillHour posted:

One of the guys I work with is out for training for 5 days, and a TON of equipment came in all addressed to him. We built him a fort for when he comes back. :3:

Calvin and Hobbes was the obvious play. The Frenchman on the parapet was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Calvin and Hobbes was the obvious play. The Frenchman on the parapet was a nice touch.

The Frenchman came first, actually.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KillHour posted:

One of the guys I work with is out for training for 5 days, and a TON of equipment came in all addressed to him. We built him a fort for when he comes back. :3:

You have to put at least one reference to Fort Kickass in there, dude.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evol262 posted:

It's almost like you work an in industry where you can walk away from that ticking bar or minimize the RDP window and work on something else.

I work at a TV station, but when I'm doing late-night maintenance I usually end up streaming Netflix rather than watching the TV. It's just so much more convenient.

A cameraman said it best when I admitted to him that I watch almost no TV at all: "TV is something we make, not something we watch."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Inspector_666 posted:

You have to put at least one reference to Fort Kickass in there, dude.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
drat, I wish I had a picture, or could find a picture, of a fort made long ago in a PC build room for a mass rollout.

Dell boxes to the ceiling, and then in the corner we removed some boxes, so you could climb the tower and hide at the top, peering over the parapet.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crowley posted:

A cameraman said it best when I admitted to him that I watch almost no TV at all: "TV is something we make, not something we watch."
NHK is like that, the BBC isn't. No idea if that's to do with the quality / type of TV being made, cultural differences, or just random luck.

(NHK in general has this major "We are grown up people doing a grown up job. Now try and be more grown up!" thing going on that the BBC doesn't, if that helps)

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
A ticket came in

A coach's personal computer got cryptolockered, he was in Florida and unreachable and the countdown expired long ago. He doesn't care about the files. Right now I am working a football game so reinstalling windows isn't an option. I'm about to hit it with combofix to see if that gets it back into some kind of usable state. Anything else I should do before giving it back?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

tehloki posted:

A ticket came in

A coach's personal computer got cryptolockered, he was in Florida and unreachable and the countdown expired long ago. He doesn't care about the files. Right now I am working a football game so reinstalling windows isn't an option. I'm about to hit it with combofix to see if that gets it back into some kind of usable state. Anything else I should do before giving it back?

I wouldn't give it back without telling him not to use it for anything he wouldn't want a third party viewing until you have a chance to format it. Banking etc.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
By all accounts Cryptolocker fully removes itself after the timer expires so the computer should be fully 'usable'. That being said, it's probably got some rootkit on it.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Ugh it does have a bunch of other crap. He only uses it for youtube and personal email but I have to get it working within a few hours, because he is a coach and therefore the most important use of my time possible :sigh:

I guess I will run it through the security essentials/malwarebytes blender and tell him to bring it back next time he is in the country for more than a day

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Hahaha it's XP sp1

And it has a bunch of weird local security policy on it I can't figure out how to disable, like no welcome screen allowed. I can change the setting and it just flips back on restart

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Just wipe it. It'll be faster and you know it's clean.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
And install windows XP tablet edition on a 6 year old tablet PC from the windows XP tablet edition CD I keep in my back pocket for emergencies, yes. It's a personal laptop, I don't care enough to redo it from scratch. It is pretty cleaned out after the combofix-essentials-malwarebytes gamut. I deleted the infected user account & all files to be a little safer.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

evol262 posted:

It's almost like you work an in industry where you can walk away from that ticking bar or minimize the RDP window and work on something else.

time to lean; time to clean :haw:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tehloki posted:

And install windows XP tablet edition on a 6 year old tablet PC from the windows XP tablet edition CD I keep in my back pocket for emergencies, yes. It's a personal laptop, I don't care enough to redo it from scratch. It is pretty cleaned out after the combofix-essentials-malwarebytes gamut. I deleted the infected user account & all files to be a little safer.

Why are you tasked with working on a non-work related machine at all?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Why are you tasked with working on a non-work related machine at all?

It's the Coach's computer. That's why.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenNight posted:

Ah yes, one of those who thinks there is always something work on, or study, or learn. Which I'm sure there is, but gently caress doing that on a weekend at 8pm.

If you're in a position where your workload is so light that you have nothing to do other than watch bars tick by while you watch Netflix regularly, it's one thing. If you're working at 8PM on a weekend because your Exchange server poo poo the bed and you're on call or it's an off-hours maintenance, ok.

My comment was aimed more at night/weekend operations guys who gently caress off and play WoW or watch Netflix or whatever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that makes sense, I apologize if I came across as rude.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

NHK is like that, the BBC isn't. No idea if that's to do with the quality / type of TV being made, cultural differences, or just random luck.

(NHK in general has this major "We are grown up people doing a grown up job. Now try and be more grown up!" thing going on that the BBC doesn't, if that helps)

Haha. There's nothing "We're adults here" about it at all. It's more the fact that people can't help but nitpick any broadcast they see. I'm in IT and I've started doing it too. Mrs. Crowley don't want to watch shows with me any more when I go "Continuity error!" or "That lighting is totally wrong, and look at that sloppy transition!" every 30 seconds.

Work related ticket:
I snatched a cameraman on his way to a shoot last Friday and asked him to test a new phone I'm considering. We agreed that when he came back he could just dump the phone on my desk with a post-it with a smiley/sad face.

This morning the phone and this post-it was on my desk:

Text reads "Explains tomorrow!"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

evol262 posted:

My comment was aimed more at night/weekend operations guys who gently caress off and play WoW or watch Netflix or whatever.

Hell yeah, subbed in yesterday (Sunday). 8 hours of overtime pay for 30 minutes of actual work.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Crowley posted:

This morning the phone and this post-it was on my desk:

Text reads "Explains tomorrow!"
Is he a goon? :stare:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

KillHour posted:

Nope. I just found out it's for a "chain restaurant" so they can make sure their menu videos are playing correctly and switching over for breakfast/lunch.

:downsgun:

Camera talk: I was not personally involved in this project but was around when they were shopping for a solution- Our company has a few of the many electronic billboards on Times Square. We stream our content as well as headlines, commercials, sponsorships, etc. The controls for the camera are uptown in our graphics design office and they needed a way to know if / when the changes they made appeared on the signs. So they contracted with the building across the street to install a camera that they could point at our building, simple enough.

The advertisers who paid for ads on our signs were concerned that perhaps they were not getting what they paid for. I think one of them were walking past and watched the rotation for 20 minutes and it didn't come up. So the sales group wanted IT to capture the feed from the camera 24/7 so that if there were any disputes with advertisers they could go back and have proof that an ad ran. They also wanted a portal that the clients could log into to view the live feed and search the history. When they saw the price tag they realized that it would blow out enough of their profits from the sale that it was not worth it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Is he a goon? :stare:

I don't think he is, but it's not like you goons wear a pink triangle on their chests.

I got a ticked from my boss with this image:

Which is far too low for what we should have. Then I spend an hour testing and restesting everything, only do finally discover that that specific test node doesn't support the speed we have. :downsgun:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
So what was wrong with the phone?

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I was pretty puzzled by the "Do the needful" inscription on the USB drives from the current group purchase thread that's stickied at the moment. I chuckled though, because we see this from local GPs (general doctors) referring patients to the ED, usually with minimal or sometimes no relevant clinical history.

Now that I'm about 22 pages in to this long-rear end thread, and it's abundantly clear that it's from the same kind of scenario in IT. :mmmhmm:

Squish fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 11, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Day one of the Great Print Server Migration started today, about as well as you might expect. I only had to physically drive to two sites to touch printers I couldn't remotely re-address and my scheduled email to users that was supposed to go out at 7am was mistakenly set to 7pm. Then a VP called me just to critique the email I sent out because she was worried a group of users (that didn't include her) might be confused by one line of the instructions.

Of course I've been the only one working on getting this setup over the past two weeks, I'm getting so stressed out about it that I've been dreaming about printers for the last week straight.

4 of 18 sites done so far.

:smith:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
An announcement came in at 10:59 - please join us all in observing 2 minutes of silence for Remembrance Day

A call came in to my colleague at 11:00:05

He was not happy.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Migishu posted:

An announcement came in at 10:59 - please join us all in observing 2 minutes of silence for Remembrance Day

A call came in to my colleague at 11:00:05

He was not happy.

Am I missing something here?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evol262 posted:

I'm salary and being volunteered to work after hours. I'll be hosed if I'm going to wander the halls catching up on task lists on my time when I can watch the Avengers instead. If some motherfucker wants to call me "Not a team player" for being this way they can bring their stupid rear end in at 3am on saturday to work on poo poo while still doing their regular 8-5 on top of it.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

RadicalR posted:

Am I missing something here?

About 55 seconds.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Kramdar posted:

About 55 seconds.

Right. Can't believe I didn't see that.

I blame it on the industry.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I assume it was an internal call, else there is nothing notable about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I dunno, I wouldn't be phoning someone between 11am-11:02am on the 11th and I wouldn't expect to receive a call then either. Same goes for planning calls before - if it's going to run into 11am then don't do it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
At 11am I put my phone on redirect-to-voicemail (so that the inevitable inconsiderate/ignorant callers wouldn't disturb anyone around my desk) and then wandered over to look out of the window for 2 minutes and contemplate how privileged most of us are.

So far as I'm concerned, anyone who thinks that's unreasonable needs to reassess just how important their phone call really is in the grand scheme of things.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Caged posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't be phoning someone between 11am-11:02am on the 11th and I wouldn't expect to receive a call then either. Same goes for planning calls before - if it's going to run into 11am then don't do it.
You have a lot more date-awareness than I. The only reason I would know it's a holiday is if I had the day off or if someone had just told me. Even if I got an email about a moment of silence we have a 15 minute replication interval so I probably wouldn't get the message until it was too late or I would have been busy and missed it until it was too late.

E: Also I don't really "get" the concept of a moment of silence but I'll play along. I like being silent anyway.

Galler fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 11, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm terrible at things like bank holidays, but the 11th Nov is pretty hard to miss.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Caged posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't be phoning someone between 11am-11:02am on the 11th

I work near a military base and have never heard of this before.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the littlest prince posted:

I work near a military base and have never heard of this before.

I think the specificity of time is a Commonwealth thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month is when WWI ended. Here in :911: we call it Veteran's Day and it's for all Veterans but I'd guess quite a bit of Europe still remembers WWI specifically.

• Locked thread