Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

neckbeard posted:

Bought a set Gislaved NordFrost 5s and Ronal R42 alloy wheels on Kijiji

Almost everything in this sentence sounds exactly like made-up names from Grand Theft Auto, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Guess which cylinder wasn't firing at alllllllll?!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ozmiander posted:

The broken arch one? Also, what kind of spark plugs are those, that arch seems really wasteful.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Initially I was going to say second from top right but bottom left appears to lack any sort of an electrode so...that one.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

I have never seen anything quite like them before.

Still sick but I did a couple of things in the last few days.
I'm experimenting with car parking again because having the cars parked where they are in the yard has been pissing me off for a very long time. I realised they can fit side by side behind the driveway gate so I'm trying that.

The battery in the Fairlane that I stole from the VW recently was eaten by the Fairlane in the usual mysterious way of being fine for a while then being discharged or something. It was a Silver Calcium one too :(
In despair I put it on to charge. For the first day it was mostly just tripping the overload in the charger. After that it stopped tripping but only the red and yellow lights were on. So it was charging at least. Second full day mostly the same way but the green was barely visible. Third day the green looked good. The battery also has one of those things with a green ball in it for telling the battery state. Ball was still too low / black. Figured I'd give it a try the next day anyway. Nothing to lose.
Amazingly it cranked really well and started. I was expecting barely enough amps to run the interior lights or a total discharge during the night. I don't understand how this zombie battery is even working.

I still have vague, unfounded suspicions about the alternator too but I haven't seen any up downs of the voltage gauge like other cars have done, and there's no light pulsing or electrical noise through the radio so I just don't know. I think the car is just an rear end in a top hat. I really do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Is that all 8 out in 1 piece :stare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

Seriously, that is like ez-out wizard grade poo poo right there.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Yup. Fucker decided to drop a dead COP code on me a couple times until i reseated some connectors though. Praying it stays off now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Horrible-design-failures.jpg

What kind of "engineer" comes up with such a terrible design? I know it's old by now, but I still marvel at the badness of the design.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Horrible-design-failures.jpg

What kind of "engineer" comes up with such a terrible design? I know it's old by now, but I still marvel at the badness of the design.

A smear of anti-seize on each plug as they went in would have prevented all the BS too. It's just lovely penny punching.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drukqs posted:

"Gunmetal" plastidip... Came out looking like primer... We'll see how it looks in full sunlight + rebadged...

I've been watching DYC videos for a few hours, I think the MS6 is going under the sprayer this spring. I'm thinking maybe a royal blue.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Faces filled with joy and cheer
What a magical time of year
Howdy Ho! It's Pixel Fixing Day

Put your Nordic helmet on
Replace that ribbon cable, Mon
Don't you know it's Pixel Fixing Day

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 10, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Yup. Fucker decided to drop a dead COP code on me a couple times until i reseated some connectors though. Praying it stays off now.

I've always heard rumors of it being done. did you heat the engine up and crank em out with an impact or inch em out of a cold engine?

I'm installing some huge gently caress-off bosch lights to piss off other motorists. I can't decide if i want them hidden behind the grille or poking through it through the tops of some flower pots i hacked up that just happen to match the paint perfectly.

thoughts?

Stealth:

pokey outey, i would be cutting out the bars of the grille and recessing the rim into the grille:

(i accidentally doubled up on washers and forgot to get nuts because i'm retarded, so i had to gently caress with gravity a bit)

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks to the goons in the detailing thread, I realized I could actually improve the poo poo paint on my car (Previous owner had the cheapest one put on. The whole car has "orange peel" on it, or, when the paint looks like it has the texture of an orange peel). Having never wet sanded, used any tools for polishing (Beyond hand + compound), or worked that much with paint, I think it turned out alright.

How it looked this morning:

After soap:

After the first bit of sandpaper.

Here's a bit of sanding on the right side t-top with the left side untouched to show the difference.

The bonnet/hood after I finished up today. Still not done yet, but, it looks a drat sight better

The rear hatch after a poo poo ton of sanding.

Just got started on the door and front quarter panel before I had to head out. Hard to see in the picture as the sun was starting to get low, but, the door itself has a much better reflection than the surrounding panels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rebuilt the motor on my Jetta after having a valve drop. Feelin' good!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CommieGIR posted:

Rebuilt the motor on my Jetta after having a valve drop. Feelin' good!

Well that's a hell of a lot of work for one sentence. I changed the gear oil in the rear of my pickup, which was brown and disgusting, and also I ran out of oil and I threw my hand pump away in frustration. I didn't finish.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Removed the oh-so-crappy cheap short shifter that I put on the car years ago. OEM is so nice and smooth and lacks the massive lateral slop this one has. Of course it's a generic model that "fits" multiple cars so no surprise there. The only reason it's been on this long is that swapping shifters in my car is an enormous pain in the dick and I am very very lazy.

Weird bolt wear, most likely from the washers I employed as spacers. They didn't help. The general rustiness made me glad I got nice clean hardware from the native Texas donor car.

More weird wear. Probably from the bushing not fitting correctly. The rubber bits from the donor car were also slightly less perished than the ones on my car, so in they went!

I'm pretty sure this was sealed at one time. Like I said, it was cheap.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

I've always heard rumors of it being done. did you heat the engine up and crank em out with an impact or inch em out of a cold engine?

Stone cold, and just used slow steady pressure till they popped.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cleared the codes from the Avalon one more time, crossing my fingers and hoping the harness has dried out enough to allow the knock sensors to stop pissing off the ECU. I don't know how the gently caress it got drowned so bad without sucking water through the air box, but I'm still finding wet crap under the hood a week later. :stonklol: If it tosses the codes again, it's going to my mechanic once he gets back from vacation (~2 weeks).

... when I started it after clearing the codes, I thought I was in a rave. The lights are pulsing pretty good... and somewhat irregular, at that. I'm pretty sure it had at least one bad diode from the factory, but mom kept refusing to fix it because :effort:. Multimeter was all over the place at the battery terminals with it idling - mostly 13-15, spiked to 21 (on a really lovely digital multimeter with a lot of lag) a few times. Torque's "Voltage @ OBD port" function confirms the same spikes. The flickering I'm seeing is like.. 2 flickers.. pause.. 1 flicker.. pause.. 2 flickers.. pause.. 1 flicker. I'm guessing it has 2 blown diodes?

Turned it off, it dropped to 12.1 within about 1 minute. The battery is less than a year old, and most batteries last 1-2 years in it (the last one made it almost 4 years somehow). The two done under warranty from Toyota lasted a few months (the original lasted a week, she bought the car brand new).

Think I'm going to order a Denso reman alternator from Rockauto - $180 + core. If I eat the core charge, it's the same price as Napa's mid-level option. I believe Denso was the OE anyway (not 100% on this, but fairly sure). If I go the Rockauto route, I can hang on to the original and get it rebuilt by a real starter/alternator shop, and toss it on a shelf as a backup.

2003 with almost 140k, the only work it's ever needed (outside of wear items and half a pallet of batteries) has been the complete EVAP system just outside of warranty :argh: (even our longtime mechanic wouldn't touch that issue) and a door handle. Still looks brand new inside and out.

Tried to take video of the pulsing, it's not nearly as obvious in the video thanks to lovely phone camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092lXNwC-yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UziAXQTgQA

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 11, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Sold it. Was a shortlived relationship, only 4 months and 12,000km. Still beats my shortest period of car ownership by 3 months though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Crustashio posted:

Sold it. Was a shortlived relationship, only 4 months and 12,000km. Still beats my shortest period of car ownership by 3 months though.

This sounds like a good story. Do share!

Yesterday was a scorching 70+ degrees. Its only low 50s right now today, but its still good enough to sand down my wiper arms and repaint them this morning. There is an annoying squeak in the center console that I haven't been able to track down (yet), and a few bulbs still need to be replaced.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fixed the issue with my LED bulbs pissing off the trailer wiring converter by putting a diode in the brake wire between the T-connector and the actual converter. Everything works except the hazard lights (on the trailer,) Not sure why that changed. I think the converter uses the brake lights, when off, as a ground for the hazard lights so they won't blink when the brakes are applied. Probably why the silly thing was feeding back in the first place. Regular blinkers, brake, and park lights work fine. If I feel like blowing $35, I'll try a newer model of converter.

Aimed the headlights so I don't have to put them on high beam to see more than 6 feet in front of the truck, and high beam actually does something useful on dark rural roads.

Put in a replacement rearview mirror from O'Reilly's, because the OEM one was losing its silvering, and the day/night function was broken. Should have picked one up last time I was at the wrecking yard for $cheap, but $15 at O'Reilly's is OK.

Oh, also put in an eBay LED worklight as an underhood light, connected to a gutted bulb base, so the mercury tilt switch function works.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Replaced a radiator on a 2005 Legacy GT wagon with the 2.5 turbo motor yesterday. It was surprisingly easy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I decided to just install the lights behind the grille for now. If I change my mind I can install the buckets without taking anything apart.

I also got lazy and just patched it into the high beam circuit instead of putting it on its own switch.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Changed the Intake gaskets on a 3400. I would usually blame GM for using cheap gaskets. But this time all the lower intakes bolts were loose on the inside and SUPER HUMAN tight on the outsides. When I took the intake off the gaskets were smashed on the corners. Why can people not google torque specs?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Rhyno posted:

I've been watching DYC videos for a few hours, I think the MS6 is going under the sprayer this spring. I'm thinking maybe a royal blue.

Yeah if you're in a state that can have DYC kits shipped to your door (anywhere but California it seems) I would certainly go that route instead of rattlecans like me.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

I decided to just install the lights behind the grille for now. If I change my mind I can install the buckets without taking anything apart.

I also got lazy and just patched it into the high beam circuit instead of putting it on its own switch.

Bonus is that they're big enough to replace the cardboard over your radiator.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drukqs posted:

Yeah if you're in a state that can have DYC kits shipped to your door (anywhere but California it seems) I would certainly go that route instead of rattlecans like me.

Got any close up shots? Looks pretty good for rattle can.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drukqs posted:

I'd try hitting it with the glossifier or one of their metalizers over that. Otherwise it just looks like primer.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yeah that MR2 really needs something to not look like you can't afford paint. Grey plastidip really just does look like primer.

West SAAB Story posted:

This sounds like a good story. Do share!

No real story with either one. Only bought the 330 because it was a fantastic deal, but I'd rather get something slow/good on gas as I can save a set of hoosiers every year, plus reduced maintenance cost. Managed to sell this one for slightly more than what I paid, but I also had to put on 300 bucks worth of parts to get a new safety.

The month long car was my old e34 535i 5spd. Hated the gas mileage (12L/100km) and it wasn't really all that fast either. Sold it for what I paid for it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Switched the Si over to winter mode. Had a set of TSX stock wheels with brand new Michelin X-Ices on them in the correct size.
I love working on new cars, this whole changeover only took twenty minutes including getting the wheels out of the basement.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally swapped LEDs into the cluster.

My phone camera keeps making it look a lot lighter blue than it really is - it's more of a dark royal blue. Phone camera also makes it look like the hot spots are a lot worse than they actually are - I don't notice them unless I'm looking for them.

Since I'm using LEDs, the red hatches on the tach don't show up, nor do the amber KMH markings on the speedometer. Don't give two shits about either of those.

e: also picked up a gallon of Rain-X all season washer fluid. I kept pouring.. pouring more... kept pouring some more.. wondering if the washer tank had a hole or something. Nope, turns out it holds exactly 1 gallon if you fill it right up to the cap. :stare: I ran the tank dry a couple of days ago, but I've never had a car that held more than half a gallon before.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 12, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Swapped over the winter wheels & tires.

gently caress you 5 day forecast that said it would be 55 today. Woke up with a flu bug today and decided to stay in bed for way too long, finally looked outside to see a good snow covering outside so I had to suck it up, swap the cars, switch the wheels and swap them back. All while trying not to puke or poo poo my pants.

But at least these fuckers are on

I also saw what a lovely job I did dipping them which was a nice kick in the dick.

Edit: Having one of those nights where the body is tired but the brain is wide awake. Sitting here wondering if I properly torqued the lugs.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 12, 2013

brettster55
Aug 7, 2013

Am I the only one who trusts me mechanic more to tighten lug nuts down more than myself, when I know I did it right anyway? I once found a full sub in my engine bay after an oil change and yet I still put them on a Pedestal

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Something is strange about the perspective of that picture, it looks like that wheel is toed in like the damned...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

brettster55 posted:

Am I the only one who trusts me mechanic more to tighten lug nuts down more than myself, when I know I did it right anyway? I once found a full sub in my engine bay after an oil change and yet I still put them on a Pedestal

I torque customer's wheels day in and day out, yet when it comes to my own cars I always get that nagging little doubt in the back of my head where I have to tell myself "Yes, you DID tighten them down with the same torque wrench you use at work, you're fine".

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

brettster55 posted:

Sub sandwich?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Something is strange about the perspective of that picture, it looks like that wheel is toed in like the damned...

I think it's the spoke pattern playing tricks on the eyes cause I see it now too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I think it's the spoke pattern playing tricks on the eyes cause I see it now too.

Its like wearing stripes on a fat guy. It leads the eyes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Sub sandwich?

Toasted sub.