Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Skinty McEdger posted:

I particularly like how the video is unlisted on the wrestling is channel, so the only way you could possibly stumble upon it is if you were already keenly following the ARG, because this farce isn't aimed at a tiny enough portion of the audience as it is.

To be fair, that is the point of an ARG, that you have to dig for the details.

Not that I'm saying this ARG is good, or that the decision to do all of a wrestling promotion's storytelling through one is at all a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

To be fair, that is the point of an ARG, that you have to dig for the details.

Not that I'm saying this ARG is good, or that the decision to do all of a wrestling promotion's storytelling through one is at all a good idea.

The point of an ARG is to promote a product, company or event, to generate interest and get people excited.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so chikara isn't dead?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

John Cena posted:

so chikara isn't dead?

:iiam:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

MassRafTer posted:

The point of an ARG is to promote a product, company or event, to generate interest and get people excited.

Of all the ARGs that have ever existed, probably only ~65% are promotional. It's just that you'd have to be big into ARGs to know of the ones that aren't.

The point of an ARG is to be full of :ghost: ~mysterious secrets~ :ghost: so that those playing it can feel like they're in on something that few know about.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

El Generico posted:

Of all the ARGs that have ever existed, probably only ~65% are promotional. It's just that you'd have to be big into ARGs to know of the ones that aren't.

The point of an ARG is to be full of :ghost: ~mysterious secrets~ :ghost: so that those playing it can feel like they're in on something that few know about.

Making the players feel involved and that they're influencing things is also important, and I can't see how this is doing either really.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

John Cena posted:

so chikara isn't dead?

it's dead alright.......dead scared of being a good wrestling promotion!!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Quack acting like his hero, Batman.

Chikara's ARG and the similarities to DC's current stories are pretty close. Now all they need is a rape and a guy in a cape with glowing eyes saying THIS ENDS NOW.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

njsykora posted:

Making the players feel involved and that they're influencing things is also important, and I can't see how this is doing either really.

Yeah if this is an ARG its a bad one. The "clues" are either super obvious or so cryptic that you just have to wait for the reveal.

The people involved just assumed that being in the wrestling business gave them the credentials to do this extraordinarily over-wrought storyline/ARG and it's becoming obvious they were really wrong. The purpose is to drum-up interest in the product as is not push people away from it. The worst part is that I bet you everyone involved is going "oh wow these people are going to go nuts when chikara comes back!" as if pissing people off for months is the best way to make people pine for your product.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
Shutting down the promotion for this storyline was so, so pointless. I don't understand why they couldn't have all this going on while they were still running shows. You could still have GEKIDO wrecking Wrestling Is shows on the side, Wink coming to grips with Titor and his father, Colony searching for Soldier Ant, and everything else while STILL having matches and stuff!!! I don't get it. They have gained nothing by drawing this out for so long.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Happy Happyist posted:

Shutting down the promotion for this storyline was so, so pointless. I don't understand why they couldn't have all this going on while they were still running shows. You could still have GEKIDO wrecking Wrestling Is shows on the side, Wink coming to grips with Titor and his father, Colony searching for Soldier Ant, and everything else while STILL having matches and stuff!!! I don't get it. They have gained nothing by drawing this out for so long.

The best I can figure, there's three possibilities.

1) Chikara's building to something that's meant to be earth-shattering. Something that they can't just roll out overnight, so they feel the need to put the company on hold and build up to it as this big, dramatic rebirth. It could just be a new layer of paint on the brand or it could be something more. I'm not optimistic enough to think it's something in the realm of a TV deal of some sort, but it would have to be something strong to make this not be seen as a joke once the smoke clears.

2) Quack needed a vacation. The whole idea of Quack deep-sixing the Chikara name in order to screw over his wife appears to be bullshit, but I can understand if the divorce is keeping him way too busy to run a promotion. Especially because he's so hands on and central to everything that goes on, which I know is exhausting to him. Hell, it might not even be the divorce. He might just need to step away for the sake of stepping away. He's too controlling and stubborn to, say, let Icarus run the promotion while he's busy doing his own personal stuff, so Chikara goes on the shelf while everyone is off doing their own thing at the Wrestling Is shows. Meanwhile, he shows up every now and then in his masked identity.

3) Quack simply thought this would be a good idea and there's no other reason. Who cares if he's not making money? This is his artistic vision and it will work, darn it! Only it really won't.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

or it could he's out of money and this is just him letting go.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

coconono posted:

or it could he's out of money and this is just him letting go.

To do that in such a way would be sad, pointless, counter-productive and flat-out insane. And yet I can't put it outside the realm of possibility.

On a more positive note, I realized that going by the pattern of the Wrestling Is massacres, we should probably be getting a return appearance by Vin Gerard down the line. I'm all for that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gavok posted:

I'm not optimistic enough to think it's something in the realm of a TV deal of some sort
It's pretty hilarious to imagine the look on a TV producer's face when Quack explains to them how in preparation for the first TV show he's going to shut down the company for half a year and weave in a storyline where evil corporate is taking over.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

so I haven't ever really watched much Chikara outside of some King of Trios tournaments and I don't care much about the story bullshit, but everyone keeps telling me there's good matches and etc., so I'm thinking about getting some of the Best of (Year) DVDs during the next Smark Mark sale.

Are those generally reliable for having the actual good matches from the year on them? I've grown to like some of the Chikara talent from their non-Chikara work so I'd like to watch more.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

sportsgenius86 posted:

so I haven't ever really watched much Chikara outside of some King of Trios tournaments and I don't care much about the story bullshit, but everyone keeps telling me there's good matches and etc., so I'm thinking about getting some of the Best of (Year) DVDs during the next Smark Mark sale.

Are those generally reliable for having the actual good matches from the year on them? I've grown to like some of the Chikara talent from their non-Chikara work so I'd like to watch more.
Best of CHIKARA 2009-2011 are pretty good. 2009 features CHIKARA's best match, which was a four-way between El Generico, Kota Ibushi, Nick Jackson, and Jigsaw, along with another classic as Jimmy Olsen takes on Vin Gerard in a Ladder Match.

2011 is probably the best all-around year, since Eddie Kingston was having legitimately great matches for the only year of his life and you get to see X-Pac vs El Generico in a legit Match of the Year contender for 2011. My two favorite matches from that year were Kotoge & Harada vs. F.I.S.T. and Kana vs Sara Del Rey

There's music videos of all the years on there. All you have to know about the BDK when they start showing up is "Indy NWO done well"

If you're looking for "CHIKARA talent outside of CHIKARA" then you'll probably have to get Best of 2011/12. They weren't bad years but the best years featured a lot of King of Indy personalities that weren't there after the BDK angle went out. You get the advantage of seeing Daniel Bryan, Luke Harper, El Generico, Sara Del Rey, Antonio Cesaro, and Ricochet before they got signed by bigger companies though!

They've got awesome tag-team/multi-man matches, mostly.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 7, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Best of CHIKARA 2009-2011 are pretty good. 2009 features CHIKARA's best match, which was a four-way between El Generico, Kota Ibushi, Nick Jackson, and Jigsaw, along with another classic as Jimmy Olsen takes on Vin Gerard in a Ladder Match.

2011 is probably the best all-around year, since Eddie Kingston was having legitimately great matches for the only year of his life and you get to see X-Pac vs El Generico in a legit Match of the Year contender for 2011. My two favorite matches from that year were Kotoge & Harada vs. F.I.S.T. and Kana vs Sara Del Rey

There's music videos of all the years on there. All you have to know about the BDK when they start showing up is "Indy NWO done well"

If you're looking for "CHIKARA talent outside of CHIKARA" then you'll probably have to get Best of 2011/12. They weren't bad years but the best years featured a lot of King of Indy personalities that weren't there after the BDK angle went out. You get the advantage of seeing Daniel Bryan, Luke Harper, El Generico, Sara Del Rey, Antonio Cesaro, and Ricochet before they got signed by bigger companies though!

They've got awesome tag-team/multi-man matches, mostly.

Thanks!

I'll probably be buying 2009-2013

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
I'm still assuming CHIKARA had to take some time off for financial/other reasons and they just came up with this weird storyline to give fans something to do.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Thanks!

There is no best of 2013 :v: They only had like 6 shows this year. Regardless of that, it wasn't a very good year anyway.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flameingblack posted:

There is no best of 2013 :v:

Actually...

http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/chikara-dvd-best-of-2013.html

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Looks like every match they had in 2013.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Thanks!

I highly recommend 2007. They had some great stuff going on that year and the DVD is a good showcase, including the brutal Eddie Kingston vs. Tim Donst match that got Donst over overnight. It's the last year Hero was around and it has some strong matches against Quack and Claudio. Claudio vs. MIYAWAKI is awesome and Incoherence vs. Cheech and Cloudy is one of the all-time funniest matches Chikara's ever done.

2013 is only half a season and lacks the guest talent, but the choices on the DVD are all what I would have gone with.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Quack vs Hero match from 2007 is probably the best match in CHIKARA history too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I appreciate the input, ya'll. I may add 2007 to that, then. Depends on the money situation.

Is there anything between 2009 and 2013 that wouldn't be worth getting?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As much as I don't like what CHIKARA became, 2007 was probably the peak of the promotion in terms of having wacky, fun angles, decent wrestling and well... just fun. It all went downhill for me when Lince hit the mat.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002

coconono posted:

Quack acting like his hero, Batman.

Chikara's ARG and the similarities to DC's current stories are pretty close. Now all they need is a rape and a guy in a cape with glowing eyes saying THIS ENDS NOW.

https://www.haschikaradonesomethingstupidtoday.com

( For those who don't get the reference: http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/ )

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It would do Quack a lot of good to get over himself, send Chris Hero some flowers and try to serenade him right about now.

In other news, Dasher Hatfield's hardcore title defense has so much about it I love. Mainly the ref hiding behind the door just in case there's a challenger.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Best of Chikara 2007 is the only Chikara DVD I have because Weekly Font bought it for me as a secret santa gift :).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Guys, I don't think this wrestler based on the time Thor got turned into a frog is very family-friendly after all.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Not surprising since Thunderfrog talks about smashing girls with his penis on a regular basis. He also called Oleg "milk tits" once.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I blame Chuck Taylor and the Gentlemen's Club for corrupting him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wrestling is Art bites the dust thanks to Sinn Bodhi. Apparently there was a photo posted on Private Eye Jr.'s instagram of a guy in a skull mask making a deal with a guy who I imagine is supposed to be the kayfabe promoter of Wrestling is Art. The main event is Cabana vs. Gulak, which ends in a double pin. They decide they want to restart the match, but the skull guy steps out, unmasks to show he's Bodhi and shuts down the show.

Also, Chuck Taylor threw a broom off a balcony at Thunderfrog and hosed up his tooth to the point of hospitalization.

So here's where we are with the Wrestling Is Massacre:

- Wrestling is Intense taken out by Gekido.
- Wrestling is Awesome taken out by Dr. Cube.
- Wrestling is Art taken out by Sinn Bodhi.

That leaves Cool, Heart, Respect and Fun. Fun might be exempt from this whole angle, since it's a bit more realized and would probably stick around anyway. If not, it would likely be the last to go.

My money's on Tursas or Vin Gerard showing up next.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In possibly related news:

http://www.asylumarena.com/

quote:

124 days

http://twitter.com/AsylumArena

quote:

3 15 14

http://www.facebook.com/AsylumArena

quote:

3 15 14

Relaunch date?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Isn't that the advertised National Pro Wrestling Day 2 that was hyped up this year? Because 2 Cold Scorpio is supposed to go into the HARDCORE Hall of Fame or something.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KungFu Grip posted:

Isn't that the advertised National Pro Wrestling Day 2 that was hyped up this year? Because 2 Cold Scorpio is supposed to go into the HARDCORE Hall of Fame or something.

The official site says National Pro Wrestling Day is 2/1/2014:

http://www.nationalprowrestlingday.com/

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
NPWD 2014 is 2/1/14.

You know what would be a good way to get people back? Do King of Trios as your first weekend back.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DM Punk posted:

You know what would be a good way to get people back? Do King of Trios as your first weekend back.

I'd like to go to that, but they would have to announce it more than a month ahead of time so I could make travel plans.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EugeneJ posted:

I'd like to go to that, but they would have to announce it more than a month ahead of time so I could make travel plans.

Also KOT demands at least a month build just to announce all 16 teams.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If each promotion gets shut down by one villain that seems more like a Cibernetico buildup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Can someone explain to me what it is about Chikara that gets people so obsessed and in love with it? I just don't get people who think Chikara is the best thing about pro wrestling.

• Locked thread