Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

McCloud posted:

That depends entirely on how they're killed off. If their sole purpose and function in a movie is to die, then I'd say so, yes.

There is the issue of context that you're missing. Comic books have a very unfortunate history of murdering/raping women just for the sake of creating drama and conflict for the male hero. It's made even worse by the fact that her sole role in this movie was to be murdered and used as a plot device to get the two brothers to work together. Other than being murdered she doesn't really add anything to the movie. She exists only to provide drama fodder for Loki, Thor and Odin. If this was a comic book, I'd call this a textbook fridging.

Male characters who had been killed for the sake of dramatic reaction: Dr. Yinsen, Dr. Erskine, Bucky (shown alive after the movie), Agent Coulson (same, although probably not the same guy).

Female characters who have been killed for the sake of dramatic reaction: Frigga.

In eight movies, they're allowed to kill a woman.

quote:

That doesn't matter. What matters is that the people who made the movie needed a way to unite Thor and Loki, and what they came up with was to murder their mother.[spoiler] It doesn't matter what the justification for it is, that's the solution they went with. They could have come up with another reason for them teaming up, but they went with the easy and imo lazy way.

Since the first movie, Frigga was shown to be the one person Loki cared about. That's why something had to happen to her. Loki is a character defined for being a liar. We needed to have him grounded in some way that we could trust him on possibly doing the right thing. As he said, "Trust my rage," because there was no backdoor out of that take on him unless they wanted to pull a complete 180 on his characterization for the sake of evil. If they wanted to go the lazy way, they would have just had Thor say, "If you don't help me, we'll all die." Even if they did go with that, there'd be very little sympathy for Loki's actions, as he'd be acting out of cowardice. We wouldn't want him to turn good nearly as much. We'd just be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm ready to see Thor punch something other than space elves. We get it: he's good at that. I want to see him fight Enchantress or the Wrecking Crew or something really comic book-y and stupid.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

How about a robot with a really angry face?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gavok posted:

How about a robot with a really angry face?

I want a Thor with a space-horse face.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Waterhaul posted:

What misunderstanding? Odin says in the film that the Ether sometimes takes the form of a stone so it's already there.

See, I was pretty sure he said the exact opposite thing. That he commented on how most such forces in the nine realms take the form of a stone, but that the aether was unique in that it's natural shape was fluid.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Re: Loki, I don't think he wants power, he just wants to prove to his father that he would be a better king than Thor. Once he replaced Odin, he had access to the armory, the Tesseract and who knows how many other artifacts the asgardians have collected over the years, but he willingly gave away the Ether even though he probably knows about the infinity gauntlet. Power is just a means to an end, and once he accomplished that end he had no further need for dangerous trinkets that could threaten his kingdom.

For now, he's just going to focus on being the best king ever so he can show Odin how smart he is. Maybe then Odin will love him as much as he loves Thor.

Also, anyone looking to collect all the infinity gems will have to get the Tesseract from Asgaard, which will put them at odds with Loki.

Medullah posted:

I actually laughed heavily at the (post credits scene #2) monster merrily running around trying to eat the birds.

I like to think the Brits tried to get rid of it, but decided to keep it around once they realized it liked to eat pigeons.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DFu4ever posted:

I kind of like the movie idea that the artifacts can have their forms changed. I'm curious to see what other artifacts make up the rest of the stones.

It wouldn't surprise me if the gem in Loki's staff from Avengers was the mind gem. But I don't think all of this is going to come together until Avengers 3, so GOTG, Avengers 2, and some other movie between then will have the rest of them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It would really be great if the events of New York and then London in the Marvel Cinematic Universe lead to the formation of MI13.

Codependent Poster posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the gem in Loki's staff from Avengers was the mind gem. But I don't think all of this is going to come together until Avengers 3, so GOTG, Avengers 2, and some other movie between then will have the rest of them.

If the Doctor Strange movie is happening, maybe we can expect more Infinity Stones to be introduced then.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 11, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, they could totally adapt the old Alan Moore/Alan Davis Captain Britain stuff in some way (it'd be pretty entertaining if there's an episode of SHIELD referencing the British Prime Minister James Jaspers or something small like that), while using parts of Claremont's original plan for "Mutant Massacre" and "Fall Of the Mutants" (instead of the Marauders and the Adversary, he wanted to use the Fury, but Moore objected and he had to change his plans). They could just call it "Fall of the Avengers" or something.

Probably too obscure.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The MSJ posted:

It would really be great if the events of New York and then London in the Marvel Cinematic Universe lead to the formation of MI13.

I dunno, doesn't Pete Wisdom under Fox's deal? Not sure I want MI-13 without that that bastard.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Pete Wisdom and Faiza Hussain on the SHIELD TV show please and thank you.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

DFu4ever posted:

EDIT: This is one of those derails that makes me :ughh: when I realize I'm actively participating in it.

Agreed, I don't want to poo poo up the thread so I'm just gonna let it drop. I don't want to be that guy. Suffice to say I've been reading a bit too much DC lately and maybe I've just gotten used to thinking the worst about these situations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LightsGameraAction posted:

I want a Thor with a space-horse face.

But would he speak with a Scottish accent?

The Beta Ray Bill episode of the Silver Surfer cartoon was loving weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Of all the callbacks to the previous movies (and the Chris Evans cameo is awesome) I think my favourite might actually be that Kat Dennings' character still can't pronounce Mjolnir.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaz-L posted:

Of all the callbacks to the previous movies (and the Chris Evans cameo is awesome)
I think I heard maybe two words he said because the whole theater was busy flipping out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I think I heard maybe two words he said because the whole theater was busy flipping out.

He was also clearly having a ball.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
So I liked this movie enough that I started reading Walt Simonson's Thor run from the 80s. It is as good as everyone says. It's also interesting how much both Thor movies and the Avengers crib from it - movie Malekith is kind of like a combination of comic Malekith and Surtur, and the Chitauri attack in Avengers draws a lot from the big demon invasion of New York. Now I know why everyone likes Beta Ray Bill so much.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Gaz-L posted:

Of all the callbacks to the previous movies (and the Chris Evans cameo is awesome) I think my favourite might actually be that Kat Dennings' character still can't pronounce Mjolnir.

I smirked at a lot of the one-liners throughout the movie, but I was wide grinning and laughing through the entire final act because from "Why are there so many shoes here?" to the post-credits scene it's amazing how many fun call backs to the humor throughout are in there.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, and The Wolverine were all great times - Kick-rear end 2...?

I'm sorry, what?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I may be hopelessly clueless and/or nitpicky, but I thought it was odd that no one, not even Odin, referred to them as Svartalves before simplifying to 'dark elves'.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I may be hopelessly clueless and/or nitpicky, but I thought it was odd that no one, not even Odin, referred to them as Svartalves before simplifying to 'dark elves'.

The Danish subtitles called them Svartalfer! :eng101:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Race Realists posted:

I'm sorry, what?

A movie with a domestic take of $291 million was liked by a few people. Shocking, I know.

E: I know appealing to sales numbers is a lovely argument but this is like the third time in as many days someone has acted like it's the casually accepted wisdom that Man of Steel was a horrible piece poo poo, and that ain't how the threads or the reviews went when it came out.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 11, 2013

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

McSpanky posted:

A movie with a domestic take of $291 million was liked by a few people. Shocking, I know.

E: I know appealing to sales numbers is a lovely argument but this is like the third time in as many days someone has acted like it's the casually accepted wisdom that Man of Steel was a horrible piece poo poo, and that ain't how the threads or the reviews went when it came out.

Man of Steel was always destined to make money though. The Dark Knight trilogy basically printed money, and this was supposed to be that kind of take on Superman. Superman is a name that basically prints money. Plus you had Zack Snyder who is still relatively well received at least among the general populace. There were so many different interests to take into consideration, so many people were going to see it just because. The public reaction to the sequels will be a lot more interesting to observe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Public interest in the sequels will be hard to gauge against the first movie because it looks like they're throwing all the poo poo they have against the wall.

But I loved Man of Steel, and this Halloween I saw more kids dressed as superman than ever, and that makes me feel happy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Public interest in the sequels will be hard to gauge against the first movie because it looks like they're throwing all the poo poo they have against the wall.

But I loved Man of Steel, and this Halloween I saw more kids dressed as superman than ever, and that makes me feel happy.
I had a little kid show up for Halloween dressed up as a Power Ranger, I asked him what he was dressed up as, he paused and thought for like 5 seconds and enthusiastically went "SUPERMAN!". He got an extra piece for whatever the heck happened there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Obviously this should be taken with a huge grain of salt but Kevin Smith has claimed to have seen Affleck in the new Batman costume and he's saying its in a completely different direction than previous movie versions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Obviously this should be taken with a huge grain of salt but Kevin Smith has claimed to have seen Affleck in the new Batman costume and he's saying its in a completely different direction than previous movie versions.

Wow, so he can actually turn his head this time?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Some days, you just can't get rid of a commercial and financial bomb.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh confirmed!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been entertaining the idea that Affleck Batman and Cavill Superman could be kinda like Loki and Thor in The Dark World, respectively. That might be an interesting way to do it, but I'm not completely convinced Batman is even allowed to be anything other than dour/brooding/I AM THE NIGHT all the time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Could the long national nightmare be over? Could we finally be free of the terrible skull design for the mask?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So there will be a small black oval symbol on an otherwise yellow suit. I'm fine with that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Less armor and more cloth/leather is my guess. A less militaristic Batman to contrast if/when he needs special souped up armor to face Superman? If at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Affleck as Batman for the common man. Jeans, T-shirt with a bat on it, dishtowel cape!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gatts posted:

Less armor and more cloth/leather is my guess. A less militaristic Batman to contrast if/when he needs special souped up armor to face Superman? If at all.

It should just be Superman's suit but black and with a bat.

"Heyyy, no fair! Get your own!"

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Lobok posted:

It should just be Superman's suit but black and with a bat.

"Heyyy, no fair! Get your own!"

To you, it's a bat. In my mind, it's the symbol of fear.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Waterhaul posted:

Could the long national nightmare be over? Could we finally be free of the terrible skull design for the mask?

He's wearing hand-me-downs from the Thomas Jane Punisher movie with a cape.

I actually really liked Man of Steel, and I'm cautiously optimistic for Batman vs Superman or whatever the gently caress they'll call it, but everything announced makes it sound so desperate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

He's wearing hand-me-downs from the Thomas Jane Punisher movie with a cape.

I actually really liked Man of Steel, and I'm cautiously optimistic for Batman vs Superman or whatever the gently caress they'll call it, but everything announced makes it sound so desperate.

That would be because it is desperate. The desperate cry of a Warner Bros who thought all the discussion of Avengers and JLA movie franchises was just bar talk, the sort of thing you say you'll totally do one day while nursing the night's 3rd pitcher. Then Disney/Marvel totally did it and ruined everything!

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That would be because it is desperate. The desperate cry of a Warner Bros who thought all the discussion of Avengers and JLA movie franchises was just bar talk, the sort of thing you say you'll totally do one day while nursing the night's 3rd pitcher. Then Disney/Marvel totally did it and ruined everything!

It's partly how caught off guard they were by the runaway success of the Marvel movies, and partly that they want to mimic the success without putting in even half of the effort. Avengers was a huge, huge investment and undertaking, but it was the result of years of careful planning and structuring an entire cinematic universe that would lead logically into an Avengers movie. Not hiring A-listers, not using A-list directors, doing their best to save money as much as possible where they could to ensure the quality of the films themselves.

DC looks at this and says that just because they're DC they can of course do what Marvel can do better. But they want to do it without any kind of long-term planning, using A-list actors and A-list directors and in general throwing as much money into every project as they can. If the JLA movie ever gets made it's going to be the most incoherent, expensive mess of a movie since Michael Bay's Transformers films and that's even assuming that Michael Bay isn't going to direct it, which isn't all that unlikely a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's interesting to note too when Marvel started making movies, before Disney bought them. They took out a massive loan and became a studio themselves so they had to move things along with a $500 million loan hanging over their heads. The opposite is that WB has all the time and the money in the world to do things and well, they certainly act as though they have all the time in the world.

• Locked thread