Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I'll keep looking then. When I googled it there were a lot of people saying it was OK, then reading further people asked why their car ran like poo poo and people said "oh you idiot its maf based you gotta tune around it" which sounds expensive to undo, I really wouldn't feel comfortable doing that myself.

It's not like it causes a plague that renders the car useless. Car runs like poo poo, put the stock BPV on. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'll keep looking then. When I googled it there were a lot of people saying it was OK, then reading further people asked why their car ran like poo poo and people said "oh you idiot its maf based you gotta tune around it" which sounds expensive to undo, I really wouldn't feel comfortable doing that myself.

well, the emphasis is on TUNE....

like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1OQCK0YYTg

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nobody with an aftermarket external BOV really tunes around it, they just accept the lovely repercussions. In my experience anyways having seen these people and their cars.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Anyone have experience with the TruBendz catbacks? I want something loud that's stock. It's a Magnaflow muffler which my friend had on his wagon and it was extremely loud. Are there different degrees for the Magnaflow mufflers? This is the exhaust in question: http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-429/02-dsh-07-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX/Detail

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Took the car for a bit of a roadtrip so I could play support crew for a pretty amazing Targa Rally Team.

Got a bit bored so I jumped in the WRX and went exploring the mountain the rally is taking place at, really reminded me why I brought the car in the first place.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've got a pretty nasty rattle at ~1900 and ~2900 rpm under load while accelerating. Sounds like metal scraps/ball bearings in a tin can. I need to find a place around here that sells jack stands so I can get underneath it to see what's going on. Any ideas?

2008 Impreza non-turbo 2.0L 5-speed.

si
Apr 26, 2004

angor posted:

I've got a pretty nasty rattle at ~1900 and ~2900 rpm under load while accelerating. Sounds like metal scraps/ball bearings in a tin can. I need to find a place around here that sells jack stands so I can get underneath it to see what's going on. Any ideas?

Not really more than a guess at this point, but this is a common report for an exhaust heat shield that either has something stuck in it or has bent. You can climb under and give them a whack or two and see if you hear any similar noises.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

LordOfThePants posted:

Preface: 2005 Forester XT, stage 2 via Cobb Accessport and a catted downpipe. 154k miles, probably 6k since I went to Stage 2 this spring. Also have a catless uppipe with the EGT sensor removed.

What would cause me to start getting P1312 codes all of a sudden? I've had the catless uppipe for several years without issue. Last week on my way into work I was cruising at about 75mph and got a CEL and flashing cruise light, pulled a P1312 code. Reset it and went on my way. Same thing today, returning home on the highway, cruising probably in the 75-80 mph range and got a CEL. P1312 again so I reset it.

Wondering if I need to do the resistor mod, although I thought the Cobb map was supposed to eliminate that code?

Sounds like you should do it.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

si posted:

Not really more than a guess at this point, but this is a common report for an exhaust heat shield that either has something stuck in it or has bent. You can climb under and give them a whack or two and see if you hear any similar noises.

Alternatively kick the exhaust tip a few time to see if it rattles.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

angor posted:

My loose Y-pipe heat shield made exactly this noise.

Now can any of you tell me what's squeaking? It only does it when cold. I want to say it's a tensioner but it's so hard to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmGtIy710M

DrChu
May 14, 2002

About two weeks ago I hit a pothole which was bad enough to cause a bubble in one of my sidewalls. I got that taken care of, but since then I've also been leaking power steering fluid from somewhere. The areas around the pump and reservoir are dry, are there any common weak points I should be checking?

edit: 2010 WRX

DrChu fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 9, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Went and picked up my WRX this afternoon. A few observations:

- I'd forgotten how lacking in smoothness most of the UK road network is.
- I need to spend more than Subaru did on sound deadening. i.e. "something". Still, AWD in a medium size car for 1400kg, something's got to be compromised.
- Same goes for the stereo.
- I see what people mean about the "Most of them are like that" overrun noise in second at lower speed.
- You should check whether you're running winter tyres before getting experimental on roundabouts on your first time driving a car. At night. In the damp.
- Gear shift isn't the best. Will try a new knob.
- Steering wheel is nicer than expected.
- Previous owners who fit lovely cheapass wipers should be shot.
- I appear to have HIDs. I didn't know I had HIDs.
- Is it really too much to ask for car dealers to stick a £5 set of mats in a car when selling it? gently caress those paper sheets, Jesus.
- My satnav is out of date and hates me.
- The pedals are actually about right for my heel/toe habits.
- Did I mention the stereo's poo poo?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Went and picked up my WRX this afternoon. A few observations:

- I'd forgotten how lacking in smoothness most of the UK road network is.
- I need to spend more than Subaru did on sound deadening. i.e. "something". Still, AWD in a medium size car for 1400kg, something's got to be compromised.
- Same goes for the stereo.
- You should check whether you're running winter tyres before getting experimental on roundabouts on your first time driving a car. At night. In the damp.
- The pedals are actually about right for my heel/toe habits.
- Did I mention the stereo's poo poo?

-What tires are you running? You might want softer tires unless you want hi-performance all seasons, then you're probably stuck with a stiff ride.
-Try tires with less road noise too.
-I've heard changing the head unit helps, but idk I just keep the radio off for the most part.
-Tires.
-Pedals are nice. :) I do the "Initial D" pivot-my-foot kind of heel toe which works well with the Impreza. A lot of cars you have to roll your foot more, I don't like that.
-try the head unit first.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Huh. After swearing at my WRX that has been leaking oil on the driveway since august because I drilled a hole in the drain plug and tried to tap 1/8" npt into it, I found I could buy a pretapped plug from wrxtra. I should have looked there 3 months ago.
Too bad their website is poo poo and I can't order anything from them tonight.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I finished my engine break-in and got my high boost tune done yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/TgOdDVv.jpg

430whp / 390 wtq, running 25 psi on an FP HTA Green tapering to 22 at redline. I'm super happy with how the car turned out, and the drive back from the shop was the most car-related fun I've had in a long time.

whp for stock on this dyno is 220, a 2009 nissan GTR was 380whp/380wtq.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Roman Rambo posted:

I finished my engine break-in and got my high boost tune done yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/TgOdDVv.jpg

430whp / 390 wtq, running 25 psi on an FP HTA Green tapering to 22 at redline. I'm super happy with how the car turned out, and the drive back from the shop was the most car-related fun I've had in a long time.

whp for stock on this dyno is 220, a 2009 nissan GTR was 380whp/380wtq.

:eyepop:

Frickin' nice, man. What a beast.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
That looks like a lot of use-able power/fun. Congrats man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm afraid to ask, and you're probably afraid to answer, but how much cash do you have into that engine at this point?

that's an awesome loving chart.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That thing must fly. I haven't been keeping up with the car, mind posting a quick summary of what else you have done to it and maybe a picture or two?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Neptr posted:

-What tires are you running? You might want softer tires unless you want hi-performance all seasons, then you're probably stuck with a stiff ride.
-Try tires with less road noise too.
The tyres are a pretty fresh set of Nexen Winguard winters in 215/45R17. Now, they wouldn't have been my choice, but seeing as it's mid-november, I'm not one to turn my nose up at a set of winter tyres - however, the ride is harsh, and from the reviews I've read, they're actually supposed to be quite good for ride quality. However, these reviews are the same ones that say they have good dry/damp grip, and they're definitely seeming less than wonderful on that front, so take that as you will.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InitialDave posted:

The tyres are a pretty fresh set of Nexen Winguard winters in 215/45R17. Now, they wouldn't have been my choice, but seeing as it's mid-november, I'm not one to turn my nose up at a set of winter tyres - however, the ride is harsh, and from the reviews I've read, they're actually supposed to be quite good for ride quality. However, these reviews are the same ones that say they have good dry/damp grip, and they're definitely seeming less than wonderful on that front, so take that as you will.

If you're getting harshness and decreased grip in the front end you should first check your tire pressure. Wouldn't surprise me to find the dealer overinflated them which causes decreased contact surface as well as increased transmisssion of vibration and bumps to the car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They're what the door jamb sticker says, 2.2 and 2.3 bar.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
How old is the suspension and is it oem?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
As far as I know, it's the factory setup with 76k miles on it.

Edit: I do think you have a point about it possibly being aftermarket suspension, I'll have to have a proper look when I get a chance.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 11, 2013

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Does anyone know if a Turbo XS axle back will fit my 3" JNA/Gimmick catback?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Finally slapped the motor back in my 2.5TS - what a pain it was aligning the clutch by eye. Had to take out and put the motor back in 4 times to get it lined up right. Now the fun part of attaching all those goddamn tubes and wires and radiator and ugh.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Finally put all the pieces together for hauling my fishing rig. The dealership wanted almost 500 bucks for crossbars and Kayak cradles. I got the OEM crossbars off ebay for 160 and the cradle kit on clearance for 100(MSRP 159)

I can get to my redfish grounds in a hell of a hurry :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's awesome. Question is, can you for 2 kayaks?

Also, haven't seen much discussion in this thread about the fact that Subaru isn't going to make a hatchback WRX on the 2015 models. Seems crazy to me, the hatchback WRX is iconic.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I always liked how the sedan WRX's looked, but the hatch is just way too functional to not buy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who already has side rails and wants crossbars should definitely check out Malone's stuff. New, they're $100 and come with locks and whatnot that are extra on other systems. Let me spend a little extra to get the saddles I wanted.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Also, haven't seen much discussion in this thread about the fact that Subaru isn't going to make a hatchback WRX on the 2015 models. Seems crazy to me, the hatchback WRX is iconic.

It's iconic? The hatchback has been selling for 5 years, the WRX for 20. Crazy would be getting rid of the hood scoop.

I never liked the 5 doors anyways so I don't really care.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

powderific posted:

Anyone who already has side rails and wants crossbars should definitely check out Malone's stuff. New, they're $100 and come with locks and whatnot that are extra on other systems. Let me spend a little extra to get the saddles I wanted.

I have a Yakima round bar setup, but it's noisy as hell, even with the fairing. And it kills my MPG's so I don't use it unless I have to. I need to clear out some closet space, and was thinking about getting something I could leave on all the time without the noise or MPG hit. The OEM aero bars look a bit flimsy. Maybe these Malones are what I need?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

G-Mach posted:

That looks like a lot of use-able power/fun. Congrats man.

Thanks!

Powershift posted:

I'm afraid to ask, and you're probably afraid to answer, but how much cash do you have into that engine at this point?

In the engine probably like 6+ grand. I'm just spitballing, because to protect my sanity, I try to not know these actual numbers.

Bajaha posted:

That thing must fly. I haven't been keeping up with the car, mind posting a quick summary of what else you have done to it and maybe a picture or two?

It's pretty quick and smile-inducing. Here's a gallery of pictures (not inlined because some are probably huge). http://imgur.com/a/jGoPs

Mods are: FP HTA Green Turbo, 1100cc injectors, Process West top mount intercooler, TGV deletes, top feed conversion, fuel pressure regulator, 300lph fuel pump, swaintech coated turboxs catless downpipe, Maddad whisper dual 3.5" exhaust, aftermarket EWG uppipe. swaintech coated Invidia equal length headers, 73mm KStech intake. Perrin 3" turbo inlet. Perrin fuel rails. Grimmspeed EBCS. 38mm tial wastegate venting to atmosphere, grimmspeed pulley. ACT clutch and lightweight flywheel. Aquamist HFS-3 methanol kit running 75% vp m1 methanol, 25% water. Aeromotive fpr. Fully built motor, kelford 199-b cams. Tial Q 50mm blow off valve. feal rebuilt sti struts on rce black springs.

I might be forgetting some stuff.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I'm back--I was the guy that thought his 2005 WRX had a failing turbo. The symptoms were a few seconds of blue-ish smoke in the morning plus a burning oil smell at lights after liberal use of the go pedal.

I had the local Subaru dealer take a look, because my usual mechanic didn't sound enthusiastic about diagnosing turbo issues. To my surprise, the dealer thought the turbo was doing fine. I spoke with the shop foreman, and he said that it's possible the turbo and/or pistons/rings could be leaking a small amount of oil, but that there were no red flags. On the other hand, he said the right inner CV boot is completely gone and the burning smell is probably grease hitting the heat shield, plus both valve cover gaskets appear to be leaking slowly. It can't be much, because I've never noticed the oil level dropping too low in between changes. So in all, the dealer wants $850 for both gaskets, plus about $950 to do both front axles (everyone I've asked said it's usually worth it to just do the whole axle rather than bothering to replace a boot).

I'm going to have my usual mechanic I trust quote the same work, but does this sound reasonable to you guys? I'd love to take a run at doing the work myself, but I don't have anywhere to do it other than my increasingly cold driveway. Am I dumb for starting to think that putting $2000 into a car worth maybe $6000 is getting close to diminishing returns? The car is still in reasonably good shape, I'm just concerned that if I fix this I'll be staring down another hefty repair bill soon, since I've never had any issues outside of regular maintenance and some AC trouble. Is the motor in these (EJ20?) any good as the mileage gets higher? It's got 136,000 miles now, and the dealer mechanic said he was amazed the car still had original CV boots on it.

I've made a token effort to start shopping for another car, but this WRX has been so awesome that any car knowledge I had has atrophied in the past several years. I appreciate any and all advice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Neptr posted:

It's iconic? The hatchback has been selling for 5 years, the WRX for 20. Crazy would be getting rid of the hood scoop.

I never liked the 5 doors anyways so I don't really care.

The WRX "wagon" that has been around ever since the WRX existed is really more of a hatch - the Forester, now that's a wagon.

There's been gently caress all 5 door turbo terror wagons/hatches that some poor bastard with small kids could justify to the wife, the WRX "Hatch" has always been a good one that does the job of being a fast kiddy carter. So yes, losing the 5 door WRX really sucks.

Doesnt affect me of course, but it still sucks.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

It will take a second set of cradles. The weight limit on the factory crossbars is 90kg, so unless you're putting two monster size lawnchair hobie's up there it'll be fine.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

The WRX "wagon" that has been around ever since the WRX existed is really more of a hatch - the Forester, now that's a wagon.

There's been gently caress all 5 door turbo terror wagons/hatches that some poor bastard with small kids could justify to the wife, the WRX "Hatch" has always been a good one that does the job of being a fast kiddy carter. So yes, losing the 5 door WRX really sucks.

Doesnt affect me of course, but it still sucks.

Might give the Mazda speed3's a little bump.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've gotten too used to the utility of the hatch in the past 3 years. A sedan only WRX means it's officially crossed off my list for new cars. It's a shame too since I was seriously considering swapping my 2011 out with a new one when they came out, but I can't go back to a sedan. Just the idea of having to get a bike rack rather than just tossing it into the back is annoyance enough for me not to consider.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

the milk machine posted:

I'm back--I was the guy that thought his 2005 WRX had a failing turbo. The symptoms were a few seconds of blue-ish smoke in the morning plus a burning oil smell at lights after liberal use of the go pedal.

I had the local Subaru dealer take a look, because my usual mechanic didn't sound enthusiastic about diagnosing turbo issues. To my surprise, the dealer thought the turbo was doing fine. I spoke with the shop foreman, and he said that it's possible the turbo and/or pistons/rings could be leaking a small amount of oil, but that there were no red flags. On the other hand, he said the right inner CV boot is completely gone and the burning smell is probably grease hitting the heat shield, plus both valve cover gaskets appear to be leaking slowly. It can't be much, because I've never noticed the oil level dropping too low in between changes. So in all, the dealer wants $850 for both gaskets, plus about $950 to do both front axles (everyone I've asked said it's usually worth it to just do the whole axle rather than bothering to replace a boot).

I'm going to have my usual mechanic I trust quote the same work, but does this sound reasonable to you guys? I'd love to take a run at doing the work myself, but I don't have anywhere to do it other than my increasingly cold driveway. Am I dumb for starting to think that putting $2000 into a car worth maybe $6000 is getting close to diminishing returns? The car is still in reasonably good shape, I'm just concerned that if I fix this I'll be staring down another hefty repair bill soon, since I've never had any issues outside of regular maintenance and some AC trouble. Is the motor in these (EJ20?) any good as the mileage gets higher? It's got 136,000 miles now, and the dealer mechanic said he was amazed the car still had original CV boots on it.

I've made a token effort to start shopping for another car, but this WRX has been so awesome that any car knowledge I had has atrophied in the past several years. I appreciate any and all advice.

The EJ20 is stout as hell until you get stupid with mods. My friends 02 made it to 300k before he poo poo a rod bearing. Then again there are random rodbearing failures and cars for sale all the time because of them. As long as you keep up on the maintenance and aren't egregious with the mods you'll do fine with the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

the milk machine posted:

2005 WRX ...

...$2000 into a car worth maybe $6000 ...

I wish my local market had these prices. Up here they're around 9k - 10k and most have suffered some form of molestation. If it's not loosing an appreciable amount of oil between changes and the axles aren't making noise and you're planning on full replacement axles anyway then I don't see why you couldn't just wait the winter out and do those things yourself in the spring/early summer when it gets nice enough to work on it, would save you some cash for sure. If you want to get some more excitement out of it, and spend the money you'd save by going the DIY route, it's fairly easy to do some basic mods and a AP tune and there's always some cheap used performance parts on NASIOC for just a little more oomph. Plus you've mentioned you like the car so might as well keep it and play around with it.