Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MrYenko posted:

What the hell is a kimwipe?

A loving giant 4 ply (or was it 6?) reinforced paper towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It is something we wasted a crap ton of them on for anything we did because why the hell not.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
They're no ordinary papertowels- they're lint-free and much softer. And cost like 3x more.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

grover posted:

They're no ordinary papertowels- they're lint-free and much softer. And cost like 3x more.

Hence why we basically never get them in the commercial world. They're like giant Kleenexes, I find them hilarious for some reason. We were lucky to get lint-free wipes for the binoculars.

For cleaning and all, we got bags of t-shirts from goodwill. Sometimes someone would cheap out and we'd get bags of whatever the hell from goodwill; I'm pretty sure I ended up mopping thinner off the deck with the remnant of someone's old wedding dress.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Third World Reggin posted:

It is something we wasted a crap ton of them on for anything we did because why the hell not.

They are a bit expensive. My second captain had a hardon for NOT buying them. So any division that didn't have to cleanup hydraulic fluid didn't get the buy them and had to get rags & buckets of soap&water for regular cleanups.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ded posted:

They are a bit expensive. My second captain had a hardon for NOT buying them. So any division that didn't have to cleanup hydraulic fluid didn't get the buy them and had to get rags & buckets of soap&water for regular cleanups.
Yeah, I can see this; they're awfully expensive if you don't really need them. Sailors tend to use whatever's handy, so makes sense.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

grover posted:

Yeah, I can see this; they're awfully expensive if you don't really need them. Sailors tend to use whatever's handy, so makes sense.

Yep; I saw more sailors than I could count get a kimwipe to pick up a single dustbunny, and throw the whole thing away. By our second deployment, and as the sequester went into effect, our CO bought swiffer dusters and insisted on using normal mops/rags.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

ded posted:

A loving giant 4 ply (or was it 6?) reinforced paper towel.

4, reinforced with a 1/2" nylon thread matrix. They were crazy durable.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Navy way tends to be cleaning up the leaks forever instead of fixing whatever's leaking. That's hardly the safest path of action, let alone the cheapest.

In fact if you have something leaking and making a mess in plain sight, that's a boon, since you can wipe up the easily accessible oil slick during your mandatory cleaning times instead of having to crawl somewhere clumsy. This is also counterproductive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Navy way tends to be cleaning up the leaks forever instead of fixing whatever's leaking.
That's hardly the safest path of action, let alone the cheapest.

In fact if you have something leaking and making a mess in plain sight, that's a boon, since you can wipe up the easily accessible oil slick during your mandatory cleaning times instead of having to crawl somewhere clumsy. This is also counterproductive.

It is beneficial. As long as it's dripping, you know there's fluid pumping in there. You can keep track of how much you need to add, but you always know that there's something in there.

It's part of why you don't climb into a helicopter if it isn't leaking oil around somewhere.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

grover posted:

So they're basically Tech Wipes? Our shop was always stocked up with these things.

Also, :lol: $96 for 15?? I used to use these things as tissues and to stuff in the bottom on my dip cup.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is beneficial. As long as it's dripping, you know there's fluid pumping in there. You can keep track of how much you need to add, but you always know that there's something in there.

Rubbish. I guarantee you there are more than enough sight glasses, flow indicators, thermometers, sound monitors etc on the drivetrain of an atomic submarine that you don't need leaky gaskets to tell you it's healthy. For that matter, by the time you noticed a change in leak rate you'd have wiped a critical bearing ages ago.

It's also rubbish if you have a leaky mess on your port side whatever and its healthy exact clone on the starboard side is sparkling clean.

Not everything is a whirlybird that needs to constantly soil itself to be happy, the Navy does have quite a bit of precision equipment.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sacrilage posted:

Yep; I saw more sailors than I could count get a kimwipe to pick up a single dustbunny, and throw the whole thing away. By our second deployment, and as the sequester went into effect, our CO bought swiffer dusters and insisted on using normal mops/rags.

This was back in 96. Long before the current bullshit.

On the other hand he was a loving badass CO who had a crazy amount of LoMs.

http://www.la-ex.org/Read_History/Commanders/Rubenstein/rubenstein.html

Which oddly are not listed on that bio.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Mad Dragon posted:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kimwipe

edit: It's the same brand, but the ones on the boat are heavy-duty with plastic threads reenforcing them.

"delicate task wipes"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Rubbish. I guarantee you there are more than enough sight glasses, flow indicators, thermometers, sound monitors etc on the drivetrain of an atomic submarine that you don't need leaky gaskets to tell you it's healthy. For that matter, by the time you noticed a change in leak rate you'd have wiped a critical bearing ages ago.

It's also rubbish if you have a leaky mess on your port side whatever and its healthy exact clone on the starboard side is sparkling clean.

Not everything is a whirlybird that needs to constantly soil itself to be happy, the Navy does have quite a bit of precision equipment.

You are mostly correct, but do you know how much time it will take to replace that part plus how much it will cost for the shipyard bubba to come out and do it?

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

ded posted:

This was back in 96. Long before the current bullshit.

On the other hand he was a loving badass CO who had a crazy amount of LoMs.

That's awesome; I wish more CO's were inclined to think outside the box when it came to bucking the trend.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
At work we have fancy kimwipes for Lidar lenses and the vast majority of them are used to clean my glasses. They work really well at that!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You are mostly correct, but do you know how much time it will take to replace that part plus how much it will cost for the shipyard bubba to come out and do it?

The Navy thinks time is free, and the time spent not fixing it is spent cleaning up after it anyway. The real reason for not fixing is that no one wants to be responsible for routing a work package to people who had no idea anything was 'broken' to begin with, and having to answer the resulting questions.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's part of why you don't climb into a helicopter if it isn't leaking oil around somewhere.

This right here is the dumbest thing I think you've ever said tbh

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
also kim wipes are mad loving ownage if you have to clean up oil and stuff enjoy your sponge or w/e

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

genderstomper58 posted:

This right here is the dumbest thing I think you've ever said tbh

It's an old helicopter joke. I'm not always serious when I post. :ssh:

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Cool NSL presentation, for those interested; it's been going on all week.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

I saw that at Joel's blog. I'm quite curious as to what direction Ohio replacement program is going to take. If you ask me, just strip USAF of all the nukes and have USN handle it with boomers. You can't beat the element of surprise, both for deterrence and second strike capability.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Having warheads other countries can aim at reliably is to some degree a net positive for deterrence. How long deterrence matters is a different question.

There are still people drumbeating the idea of putting nuke SLBMs on Virginia classes, which I think is a completely blockheaded idea for a variety of reasons.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've always thought that SLBM were the smart way to go. Maybe have the air force focus on nukes delivered by stealth bombers and have the navy worry about ICBMs.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

almighty posted:

I saw that at Joel's blog. I'm quite curious as to what direction Ohio replacement program is going to take. If you ask me, just strip USAF of all the nukes and have USN handle it with boomers. You can't beat the element of surprise, both for deterrence and second strike capability.
SLBM make a lot of sense as the backbone of our nuclear forces, but there are common points of failure for the boomers that necessitate a redundant land component to maintain an effective 2nd strike strategic deterrent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

I've always thought that SLBM were the smart way to go. Maybe have the air force focus on nukes delivered by stealth bombers and have the navy worry about ICBMs.

Eh, ICBMs were what basically neutered our bomber forces, and it'd be kind of weird for the Navy to manage all our nuclear missile bases inland.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Having warheads other countries can aim at reliably is to some degree a net positive for deterrence. How long deterrence matters is a different question.

There are still people drumbeating the idea of putting nuke SLBMs on Virginia classes, which I think is a completely blockheaded idea for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, well I live in a country that benefits from USAF B-62s being present in joint bases under Nuke sharing program.
It's a pretty smart incentive to prevent non-nuke nations to develop their own weapons, but then again, I believe minimizing the nuclear arsenals is the key trend to the zeitgeist, especially for the superpowers.

I believe in US superiority in Nuclear capability and the deterrence that brings about.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, ICBMs were what basically neutered our bomber forces, and it'd be kind of weird for the Navy to manage all our nuclear missile bases inland.

Bombers are quite useless in our age IMHO, except for gimmicks such as B-2.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The Air Force isn't exactly awash with glory over missile management right now, and putting a couple seamen and officers in a hole and locking the door for a week has closer analogues to shipboard life than anything else the USAF does. Also in the long run it makes more sense to associate Space Command stuff with the Navy (again, because deep space ops are closer to deep ocean ops than anything atmospheric) and those rockets and the doomsday ones go somewhat hand in hand.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sorry, what I meant was 'all icbms should be slbms' because silent nuclear powered submersible mobile icbm silos are the coolest thing ever.

Its like something out of science-fiction.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Air Force isn't exactly awash with glory over missile management right now, and putting a couple seamen and officers in a hole and locking the door for a week has closer analogues to shipboard life than anything else the USAF does. Also in the long run it makes more sense to associate Space Command stuff with the Navy (again, because deep space ops are closer to deep ocean ops than anything atmospheric) and those rockets and the doomsday ones go somewhat hand in hand.

Crimson Tide anyone? :siren:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

True, but whose to say the Navy will manage it any better? The officer corps of the Air Force just needs a swift kick in the pants.

Baloogan posted:

Sorry, what I meant was 'all icbms should be slbms' because silent nuclear powered submersible mobile icbm silos are the coolest thing ever.

Its like something out of science-fiction.

Yeah, true. However, if your entire nuclear missile force is submarine bound and the country you face has decent anti-submarine forces, you've just lost all your nuclear deterrent forces.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

True, but whose to say the Navy will manage it any better? The officer corps of the Air Force just needs a swift kick in the pants.

Yeah, true. However, if your entire nuclear missile force is submarine bound and the country you face has decent anti-submarine forces, you've just lost all your nuclear deterrent forces.

And which country has 'pretty decent' ASW forces right now?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

almighty posted:

Russia, I don't know about China, but they regularly hold ASW drills.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Russia, I don't know about China, but they regularly hold ASW drills.

AFAIK, holding drills barely equals to having a competent counter to the US submarine force.
However, I'm a little bit worried about the waning USN ASW capabilities.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Actually that is a good point and a good reason to keep hella ICBMs on land. What if the chinese become really good at ASW? They can't ASW in North Dakota.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Baloogan posted:

Actually that is a good point and a good reason to keep hella ICBMs on land. What if the chinese become really good at ASW? They can't ASW in North Dakota.

I'm more terrified of rabid unicorns devouring me than the thought of China nuking the US, if for no other reason than the US is too economically important to China.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oxford Comma posted:

I'm more terrified of rabid unicorns devouring me than the thought of China nuking the US, if for no other reason than the US is too economically important to China.

I know, its a silly point, but a point none the less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's always Space Navy in science-fiction (except for Stargate I guess and we all saw how that ended up) :colbert:

almighty posted:

How are the Brits doing these days, still hemorrhaging institutional knowledge like none other?

• Locked thread