Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

TBC posted:

It's looking like the Bucs will be leading for at least one day in the race for the first pick :dance:

What do Bucs fans think about Glennon? I'm happy with the #2 pick if the Bucs are just gonna take Clowney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TBC
Jan 12, 2006

Glazers gonna Glaze

thatguyclint posted:

What do Bucs fans think about Glennon? I'm happy with the #2 pick if the Bucs are just gonna take Clowney.

He strikes me as a solid back up but not a franchise QB. Game manager type who has a strong arm but is more apt to check down on any given play. Poor pocket presence. He's also absolute poo poo in the second half this far.

I don't think fans are seriously considering him to be our QB moving forward especially when Schiano gets fired. I'm rooting for bridgewater.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TBC posted:

He strikes me as a solid back up but not a franchise QB. Game manager type who has a strong arm but is more apt to check down on any given play. Poor pocket presence. He's also absolute poo poo in the second half this far.

I don't think fans are seriously considering him to be our QB moving forward especially when Schiano gets fired. I'm rooting for bridgewater.

One of the youngest QB's in the draft going to Tampa where he will start day 1. I like it. Happy birthday to Teddy by the way. Go buy yourself some brews.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TBC posted:

Pretty much this but ultimately I don't think we will end up with the number one pick unless Jacksonville wins one more game. Bucs still have St. Louis, Buffalo, Miami, and Atlanta on the schedule. We could accidentally win two of those games. Also play N.O week 17 and they could possibly be resting starters.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

wandler20 posted:

Pretty much this but ultimately I don't think we will end up with the number one pick unless Jacksonville wins one more game.

You rang?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

wandler20 posted:

Pretty much this but ultimately I don't think we will end up with the number one pick unless Jacksonville wins one more game. Bucs still have St. Louis, Buffalo, Miami, and Atlanta on the schedule. We could accidentally win two of those games. Also play N.O week 17 and they could possibly be resting starters.

I think we'll need that week 17 game, but of we're resting I hope we throw the game.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MJBuddy posted:

I think we'll need that week 17 game, but of we're resting I hope we throw the game.

Between the Panthers and the Seahawks, we're gonna need that week 17 game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Jaguars beat the Texans both times.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Jaguars beat the Texans both times.

The Keenum-led Texans aren't that bad. It's not like Kansas City, Arizona or Indy are bad teams; the Cardinals may have the league's best defense.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Keenum-led Texans aren't that bad. It's not like Kansas City, Arizona or Indy are bad teams; the Cardinals may have the league's best defense.

Not only that; they were close and/or leading late in each of those games.

I wonder what they do in the draft if they decide Keenum deserves the starting job next year. Offensive line?

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Speaking of Keenum, during the Texans/Cards broadcast they mentioned Case's size and I realized he's only an inch taller and a couple of pounds heavier than Manziel.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Perhaps, but it's kind of difficult to be too confident about a 2-7 team's chance in any game, even if it is the Jaguars.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

Not only that; they were close and/or leading late in each of those games.

I wonder what they do in the draft if they decide Keenum deserves the starting job next year. Offensive line?
WATTerCLOWNEY

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Kirios posted:

Let's not get too crazy here. It took a near-entire Titans collapse for them to get their first win of the season. They're still a very, very, very bad football team, one that still went 3/12 on third down efficiency in a game they won. The Texans are a good football team that keep falling apart at the least opportune times, and are probably pretty likely to keep that usual lead in the 3rd/4th quarter against the worst offense in the league.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Nawid posted:

WATTerCLOWNEY

Can Clowney play 3-4 OLB? I'm sure the answer is "probably" but I'm just curious because I've only heard him discussed as a 4-3 DE, and most of the teams projected to be in the bottom of the draft (Tampa, Oakland, New York, Jacksonville) run the 4-3.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Disillusionist posted:

Can Clowney play 3-4 OLB? I'm sure the answer is "probably" but I'm just curious because I've only heard him discussed as a 4-3 DE, and most of the teams projected to be in the bottom of the draft (Tampa, Oakland, New York, Jacksonville) run the 4-3.

I don't think he'd need a whole lot of additional size to even play 3-4 DE; the dude is just so physically gifted he'll probably succeed as long as he's motivated. I'm not even going to get my hopes up about Clowney unless Houston's looking at a top 3 pick though. As things stand I think he goes to Tampa Bay at 1 or 2.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 12, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think a lot of people would expect Clowney to be used much like Mario was during Wade's first year, assuming we don't switch to a 4-3 as a result of any possible coaching changes.

EDIT: There's a LOT of people who want Jake Matthews with the 5th overall pick, though. :stare:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

bhsman posted:

I think a lot of people would expect Clowney to be used much like Mario was during Wade's first year, assuming we don't switch to a 4-3 as a result of any possible coaching changes.

EDIT: There's a LOT of people who want Jake Matthews with the 5th overall pick, though. :stare:

I don't blame them though--Matthews would be a great pick and has as good a pedigree as an NFL player can possibly have. And it's not like the Texans don't really, really need a right tackle.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

bhsman posted:

It goes with being an Aggie and being a legendary Oilers' kid, and I can see it actually happening if the Texans pick around 3 or 4 and go BPA. If the Texans decide Keenum is a franchise QB a big upgrade on the line never hurts.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

So Mariotta is out of the top 15 now right?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'd rather trade down than spend TRIGGER WARNING, CHIEFS FANS: a top five pick on a right tackle when you can find one later in the draft.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

commy gun posted:

He played on an injured knee and still looked alright. Also, it was one game against a top 5 college defense. Maybe pump the breaks a little bit.

bhsman posted:

I'd rather trade down than spend TRIGGER WARNING, CHIEFS FANS: a top five pick on a right tackle when you can find one later in the draft.

You may not necessarily find one and why not take the best one? He's also probably the best player at that draft slot.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

bhsman posted:

Yeah, yeah you would.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

bhsman posted:

Chargers took a RT at 12 and it owns

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^That's at 12, though.

Declan MacManus posted:

You may not necessarily find one and why not take the best one? He's also probably the best player at that draft slot.

Is it worth more to put Clowney or Barr next to Watt and pick a tackle in the second round? I think it would be.

The Chiefs at least had the excuse of their left tackle not signed to a new deal, whereas Houston has Duane Brown locked up for a few years.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

He played on an injured knee and still looked alright. Also, it was one game against a top 5 college defense. Maybe pump the breaks a little bit.

Its not just the one game. Granted, people will look at this and last year's losses to Stanford, but is his skill set gonna infatuate a team in the top 10? Hes a fit for the read option, but its not as hot right now as it was last year (thanks to RG3, probably) and I don't see it trending back up anytime soon. Then again, QB Driven League.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 12, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'd only want an RT that early if my QB was a lefty. Those top 5 overall tackles will all end up playing LT when they hit their prime anyways, even if they entered the league on the right.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

I'd only want an RT that early if my QB was a lefty. Those top 5 overall tackles will all end up playing LT when they hit their prime anyways, even if they entered the league on the right.

Matthews is currently playing LT. The only reason he'd play RT in Houston is because the team already has a pro bowl left tackle, who Matthews could eventually replace if need be.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I mean, if the thought of Watt and Clowney/Barr rushing the passer together doesn't give you a literal erect penis with the potential I don't know what to tell you.

EDIT: Seriously though, if Houston could trade down a bit to, say, #8-12 overall and could still grab Matthews? No complaints whatsoever. I just feel like a potential franchise QB/pass-rusher to set next to Watt helps the team far more than having a stud RT.

gently caress, who cares about RT if we don't replace Wade Smith, though Quessenberry will probably take his spot due to Smith's contract being up this year.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 12, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You can't just make sexy picks all the time. That's not how you build for success in the long term.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

bhsman posted:

I mean, if the thought of Watt and Clowney/Barr rushing the passer together doesn't give you a literal erect penis with the potential I don't know what to tell you.

Because defense is the problem in Houston

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Because defense is the problem in Houston

If we can't score points, neither will you.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Grozz Nuy posted:

He was! He and Vereen were both on the team at the time actually, that was 2008. Kind of the last year before it all started unraveling, too. :smith:

That was a pretty tame game for Best by his standards though, in comparison with this one, which I attended in person and will always be my indelible memory of him. 22 touches for an average of almost 11 yards per play. :allears:

*sigh*

Those really were better times.

I think the only pro prospect (and he's probably a udfa) is DeAndre Coleman, mostly for his ridiculous size and strength. Not for any productivity.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

You can't just make sexy picks all the time. That's not how you build for success in the long term.

Won't disagree, but I just don't see the point in taking Matthews at #5 if Clowney is available.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bhsman posted:

Won't disagree, but I just don't see the point in taking Matthews at #5 if Clowney is available.

Well of course not, because Clowney would be the best player available at #5 by a wide margin. Barr, not so much. Not that Anthony Barr isn't good, but he's not Clowney or Matthews.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

If you're taking Clowney you're taking him because hes the best player, and there's nothing wrong with that. "Need is the worst evaluator of talent" or whatever that quote is.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

commy gun posted:

He barely looks like a first rounder, and this is based on all season. Not like I think he needs another year in college either because it would just reinforce his bad habits.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

commy gun posted:

If you're taking Clowney you're taking him because hes the best player, and there's nothing wrong with that. "Need is the worst evaluator of talent" or whatever that quote is.

Well yes but you're also assuming that Clowney is going to be there to take at #5. If he's there you take him, but that's not what bhsman said (at first). He was debating the merits of taking a right tackle top 5.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Declan MacManus posted:

Well of course not, because Clowney would be the best player available at #5 by a wide margin. Barr, not so much. Not that Anthony Barr isn't good, but he's not Clowney or Matthews.

There are various draftniks that think Barr could go before Clowney if a 3-4 team is drafting at the right spot, so don't push Barr too far down your boards. I think the general impression from some people is that Barr is a better 3-4 OLB than Clowney would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

vaginal culture posted:

He barely looks like a first rounder, and this is based on all season.

We're talking about the same guy who has yet to throw an interception in almost 300 attempts and is averaging 8 yards per carry right?

Also I'm starting to become a convert to the position that there isn't much differentiation between LT and RT anymore. It seems like NFL teams line their best pass rusher up against the weakest OT more often now than they do against the blind side.

• Locked thread