Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

Pheeets posted:

It's been a while since I read Duma Key, and I only read it once (for some reason I can't bring myself to re-read it, something about it just turns me off) but I think she wasn't really a bitch, but rather he had a huge violent anger problem because of his inability to speak the way he wanted to (couldn't remember words correctly) and the loss of his arm, she was therefore understandably hurt and frightened by him and so she distanced herself from him even after he got somewhat better.

This is how I remember things too. As far as King writing women goes, I don't think the wife was that bad. IIRC, he screamed at her and cut her arm with a knife when she was trying to help him. That's when she kind of shut down, and I think he felt somewhat abandoned and resentful, like she should have forgiven him. Neither of them were perfect and there was some bitterness still there I could be forgetting something though, what did she do that was so bitchy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tojai posted:

This is how I remember things too. As far as King writing women goes, I don't think the wife was that bad. IIRC, he screamed at her and cut her arm with a knife when she was trying to help him. That's when she kind of shut down, and I think he felt somewhat abandoned and resentful, like she should have forgiven him. Neither of them were perfect and there was some bitterness still there I could be forgetting something though, what did she do that was so bitchy?

OK, I'm about 2/3 of the way in now and she's much better, but for the first 1/3 there were maybe 3 times he called her on the phone about something fairly important and he was always presented as being mad at times but all that came out of his mouth were completely innocuous things, and every line she said was an insult, a passive-agressive comment, or basically saying gently caress you. This after he gave her the easiest divorce in the history of civilization -- gave her the house and gave away 3/4 of his money the second they started to talk about arrangements. Yes, he had been rude and yes he had choked her, while being completely hosed up on pain meds and not in his right mind while suffering PTSD. It was a terrible thing to do but I feel like if I were her, I'd be understanding that probably the trauma and pain meds had a little bit to do with that and as he'd been basically the perfect husband for ?29? years, that probably wasn't his real character I was seeing.

I'm listening to the audio book, maybe it comes across worse there than in the physical book.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
You're dealing with a literally brain-damaged narrator. He might not be entirely reliable.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
You guys have caused me to re-read Duma Key and I'm enjoying it so far, 1/4 of the way through it. I think my reluctance was due to the fact that (no spoilers) it was pretty scary in parts, in ways that are sometimes too close to home for me.

As for Freemantle being a perfect husband and it being a great marriage for something like 26 years - I think that's a myth, there are hints that he was not such a great guy (he hated his father-in-law, for example, and even "now" he gloats that his father-in-law has "rear end cancer"). There were conflicts with their kids too. The accident just pushed things over the edge. The rest is fairly mild divorce stuff sprinkled with a bit of holdover annoyance from the marriage issues that existed before the divorce. (edit: I mean the behavior of each of them now is fairly mild - during his initial accident recovery things were much more difficult and violent, but then again I don't think she handled that part well either, even considering that he was so abusive during that time, I mean come one, he had lost an arm and was brain-damaged.)

But there is a lot to like about the book, and it holds up better on a second read.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 12, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

I also wanted to share my thoughts about King's blatant self-insert in The Dark Tower. I don't agree with the massive knee-jerk reaction to self-inserts as being inherently "bad". I thought it was a rather brilliantly written tour-de-force and it was one of my favorite parts of the book. After all, the series was his magnum opus and his terrible accident - a significant life-changing event; he very nearly died, and suffered for years afterward - happened during the writing of it.

It makes sense for him to address it because he has never shied from cultural and even personal events in his lifetime. It had a natural place in the book, especially being the last book of the series.

If he had been a young writer with a smaller body of work and/or it had been awkardly done I would have booed and hissed too, but he's a mature and polished writer and the sequence not only made sense, but actually enhanced the book. There are a lot of writers who couldn't have pulled it off, but he did, in my opinion. By this point, most of his readers are Constant Readers, so it also felt like a gift to those fans, which was appreciated.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

See I actually didn't mind the length issue, I kind of enjoyed hearing about Edgar's life.

I agree. Edgar's life was the interesting part - the inevitable King supernatural nonsense killed the last 1/5 of the book for me.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

regulargonzalez posted:

OK, I'm about 2/3 of the way in now and she's much better, but for the first 1/3 there were maybe 3 times he called her on the phone about something fairly important and he was always presented as being mad at times but all that came out of his mouth were completely innocuous things, and every line she said was an insult, a passive-agressive comment, or basically saying gently caress you. This after he gave her the easiest divorce in the history of civilization -- gave her the house and gave away 3/4 of his money the second they started to talk about arrangements. Yes, he had been rude and yes he had choked her, while being completely hosed up on pain meds and not in his right mind while suffering PTSD. It was a terrible thing to do but I feel like if I were her, I'd be understanding that probably the trauma and pain meds had a little bit to do with that and as he'd been basically the perfect husband for ?29? years, that probably wasn't his real character I was seeing.

I'm listening to the audio book, maybe it comes across worse there than in the physical book.

Very possible, I have not listened to the audio version and as the story fleshes out I think the motivations become more apparent for why they treat each other the way they do.

I think they both made a lot of mistakes in how they treated each other and my takeaway from the breakdown of their marriage was more that it was sad rather than one of them being a victimized by the other. It made me think of tragedy can tear families apart, which King has touched on a few times.

Also, it's a good point that Freeman is not the most reliable narrator.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Working through Doctor Sleep, one thing I love is that it's (mostly) set in modern times after nearly half a decade of period pieces from King. The way that King captures the eras his books are written in is one of my favorite little things to look for, and seeing references to The Avengers, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, and Sons of Anarchy makes it feel very "now".

Compare that to Under the Dome, which had a fictional Lost sequel and his awkward old man impersonation of what teenagers think is cool.

King was in Sons of Anarchy, so it makes sense he'd know about it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

I agree. Edgar's life was the interesting part - the inevitable King supernatural nonsense killed the last 1/5 of the book for me.

This seems to be something that characterizes this stage of King's writing, for better or worse. Even when he (mostly) ditches supernatural elements you get something like Joyland that was marketed as a hard-boiled mystery novel but was actually a coming-of-age story/period piece with a murder mystery tacked on the end.

Count Chocula posted:

King was in Sons of Anarchy, so it makes sense he'd know about it.

I think it's a chicken/egg thing where he was already a fan of the show.

quote:

The short form is I had a chance to act on Sons of Anarchy (known simply to those of us who watch on FX as Sons or SOA), and I jumped at the chance. I like to act—not that I’m much good at it, but I suspect most writers do—and a number of factors came together. I was in Los Angeles, where SOA films, to accept a library award; creator Kurt Sutter assured me that he’d write me a suitably nasty part (in various films I’ve been stuck playing a series of mentally challenged country bumpkins); most important of all, he said he’d put me on a bitchin Harley. How could I say no?

I got to meet most of the cast, who’ve bonded into a little family on the ranch locale about an hour from the city where they do the filming. I was particularly pleased to meet Charlie Hunnam (Jax) and Ron Perlman, who’s acted in two of my movies (Sleepwalkers and the made-for-TV version of Desperation, where he was delicious as the evil cop, Collie Entragian). I got signed Hellboy photos for my three grandsons; pretty nice. I also got to act with Katey Sagal, who plays Gemma, the scary matriarch of the Sons clan, and Kim Coates, who plays Tig. They treated me like a professional, which I most assuredly am not. So did director Billy Gierhart (who also worked on The Mist).

The bike was just short of awesome: a bright red Harley-Davidson Road-Glide. A little tricked-out for my taste, and if I’d dropped it I never would have been able to pick it up, but I would have been glad to take it home (sadly, no deal). All black clothes, bright red sled—can’t do much better than that.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Nothing makes me happier than the world's most famous horror author getting Hellboy's autograph for his grandkids.

Most underrated Stephen King movie? I submit 'Pet Cemetary'. It's got the perfect mix of genuine scares and cheesy Maine accents and it ends with an awesome Ramones song that was written for it.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 14, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pet Cemetary? Never heard of it.

However, I'm a big fan of Pet Sematary. It's not too shabby as a date movie, either :3:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

3Romeo posted:

Although they weren't killed off screen, he's probably talking about second-string clowshoes like Henry Bowers and Tom Rogan. But they both served a story purpose, since Henry takes Mike out before the final showdown in the sewers and Tom's responsible for Audra getting kidnapped by Pennywise (before he looks into the deadlights and has a stroke or whatever).

Henry's a gently caress for most of the novel and ends up owned by (of all the Losers) Eddie, which I suppose marks him as similar to Flagg in 1) being taken out unexpectedly and 2) kind of a turd, when you get right down to it.

Edit: That being said, if there's one common theme in the majority of King's stuff, it's an examination of evil, and most of his stories come down to two perspectives: either evil is horrible and beyond the human ability to conquer and the best we can hope for is escape from it (Pet Sematary, The Shining, 1408), or evil is weak and builds itself up with illusions and tricks (The Stand, The Dark Tower, Doctor Sleep).

What's interesting is how this tends to hinge on whether the evil is given human form or not- take a look at the difference between the Crimson King in Insomnia and in the later DT books. IT seems to really straddle this, since Pennywise is both a clown/spider and Derry itself and all the evils of the town, so the Losers can be basically shattered by facing Pennywise twice and she can still be an idiot.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

Most underrated Stephen King movie? I submit 'Pet Cemetary'. It's got the perfect mix of genuine scares and cheesy Maine accents and it ends with an awesome Ramones song that was written for it.

Assuming you are talking about the "Pet Semetary" movie (which I believe is still on Netflix and is great) then not all the Maine accents are cheesy, I would say, judging as a native Mainer who has lived far too long in this state. The actor who plays their neighbor Jud Crandall (Fred Gwynne, most well-known probably as the irascible old judge in My Cousin Vinny) does an absolutely freaking pitch perfect Maine accent, even down to getting the distinctly characteristic Maine type of non-rhotic sound and nailing the ways that it distinguishes itself from the much more common Boston/inland Massachusetts accents that you most often hear passed off as a "Maine accent" in the movies. Gwynne even gets the "ayuh" down perfectly.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

kaworu posted:

Assuming you are talking about the "Pet Semetary" movie (which I believe is still on Netflix and is great) then not all the Maine accents are cheesy, I would say, judging as a native Mainer who has lived far too long in this state. The actor who plays their neighbor Jud Crandall (Fred Gwynne, most well-known probably as the irascible old judge in My Cousin Vinny) does an absolutely freaking pitch perfect Maine accent, even down to getting the distinctly characteristic Maine type of non-rhotic sound and nailing the ways that it distinguishes itself from the much more common Boston/inland Massachusetts accents that you most often hear passed off as a "Maine accent" in the movies. Gwynne even gets the "ayuh" down perfectly.

Fred Gwynne is most well known for playing Herman Munster in The Munsters. Can someone spoil the hell out of from a Buick 8 in a way that will make me want to read it? I tried to read it once and couldn't more than a couple pages in but I need a new book to read so I was gonna give it another shot.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone spoil the hell out of from a Buick 8 in a way that will make me want to read it? I tried to read it once and couldn't more than a couple pages in but I need a new book to read so I was gonna give it another shot.

It's basically some policemen who have an old car at their barracks that they keep covered up in its own locked garage. The whole story is them telling a new recruit the history of the car, which is not really a car and is tied somehow to another planet. The car tries to eat people and some weird things fly out of it I thought it was pretty good, although others thought it was boring since it's mainly a bunch of guys sitting around telling a kid about a car and what it did to his dad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone spoil the hell out of from a Buick 8 in a way that will make me want to read it? I tried to read it once and couldn't more than a couple pages in but I need a new book to read so I was gonna give it another shot.

You know how the strongest part of King's writing is the characters? The book has a way heavier focus on people over plot, so it really stands out here.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You know how the strongest part of King's writing is the characters? The book has a way heavier focus on people over plot, so it really stands out here.

Buick 8 is a great book for the atmosphere. If you are hoping for a story with an actual ending though, look elsewhere. The whole book is basically about curiosity and how we can't satisfy it sometimes. Hence the whole "Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back" that gets repeated throughout the story. King is basically beating you, the reader, over the head with the fact that we can't satisfy all of our curiosity. I thought it was a great book, the characters are good, the mystery is cool, and he really does an awesome job setting the scene and making you feel connected to the setting. It doesn't ever explain anything, which I think is a lot of people's complaint with it, but that makes the story all the better in my opinion.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

kaworu posted:

High, everyone makes fun of that accent. Glad to hear its accurate

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

High, everyone makes fun of that accent. Glad to hear its accurate

Yeah, it's so funny. Everyone thinks that accent is some over-the-top caricature but when you get into certain parts of Maine downeast (which is neither down nor East from where I live amusingly enough) or over in Oxford county near the western border, well, that really is how everyone talks. From teenage girls to old cops. Down here in Portland where most of us speak normally, it's a really class thing - lower-class folk closer to poverty almost always tend to have Maine accents.

The really weird thing about the Maine accent is that you don't just no Rs where there should be (as in all not-Rhotic accents) but you also get Rs where there shouldn't be! For instance, in the Maine dialect the word "idea" is pronounced "idear". You get that a lot. I have never quite figured out why.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 15, 2013

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

juliuspringle posted:

I tried to read it once and couldn't more than a couple pages in but I need a new book to read so I was gonna give it another shot.

Stephen King is a State cop who, instead of surviving his accident, is smeared across the side of a semi by a drunk driver. His son is guided through the grieving process by doing odd-jobs for his father's coworkers, among whom include various stereotypical King characters such as Busty Sassy Woman, Hardworking Redneck With An Accent, Stoic Aging Sheriff, Kindly Bruiser, and, borrowing from Koontz, the Heroic Dog. Along the way, it is discovered that the Low Men from Hearts in Atlantis left behind one of their audacious vehicles... except it's not a vehicle at all!

The various characters then take turns narrating vignettes relating to a number of unexplainable phenomena that the Buick produces, essentially building a novel out of short stories with a theme of "curiosity means nothing in the face of the unknowable."

The individual stories range in length, quality, and detail. To compare to King's other stories, you get a touch of Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, a bit of The Talisman, a variety of Castle Rock atmosphere that lacks a town for an anchor, while feeling like a crossover between I Am The Doorway and Rose Madder with a heavy dash of The Moving Finger. Despite the obvious cliches, the story itself maintains the eerie atmosphere that King is best at weaving in his shorter, weirder works; it drifts at times and can't maintain a solid focus, but it's pretty potent when it hits its mark.

In the end, it's a very human story that explores our desire for solid answers in the face of chaos and nonsense. The entire point of the story is that you don't always get the answers you want and, often, you may not get any satisfactory answers at all. It kind of drops the ball on that in the final act, but maintains a certain amount of ambiguity nonetheless by the time the finale arrives.

As far as spoilery-stuff goes, one of the parts I like most is the climax wherein the cops flip out after killing an alien because it's wrong for our reality, admit that what they did was likely technically murder against a sentient being, mourn the loss of their trusty police dog, but merely worry about how it'll make them look when a wife-beating drug-user goes missing at the same time. The dog is a tragedy, while the bad person is merely a footnote that might get them in trouble or spoil their secret.

kaworu posted:

The really weird thing about the Maine accent is that you don't just no Rs where there should be (as in all not-Rhotic accents) but you also get Rs where there shouldn't be! For instance, in the Maine dialect the word "idea" is pronounced "idear". You get that a lot. I have never quite figured out why.

That applies for a number of regional accents. My personal favorite of the "R" thing in my area is either "warsh" or "spatular".

*edit*

On second thought, read From a Buick 8 if you have it and a day or two to kill. If you haven't read Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, skip Buick and read that one three or four times instead.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 17, 2013

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone spoil the hell out of from a Buick 8 in a way that will make me want to read it?

You know the way that small towns present themselves to Protagonists, where there are a bunch of local good ol' boys, some bad eggs, and an unsolvable yet hidden evil which makes a great plot hook for the Protagonist(s) to solve before they move on to the call of their greater fates? Well what if no Protagonist ever shows up and the local good ol' boys have to awkwardly deal with/stay away from the unsolvable yet hidden evil for several decades? What if they alternately get curious, terrified, brought closer together, driven further apart, and overall mystified by something that they cannot control, understand, or defeat? What if you just can't get rid of evil, and it sits there and half-heartedly fucks with you because its bored for 25 years? And what if that evil looks like a Buick?

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 18, 2013

uptown
May 16, 2009

Vorgen posted:

You know the way that small towns present themselves to Protagonists, where there are a bunch of local good ol' boys, some bad eggs, and an unsolvable yet hidden evil which makes a great plot hook for the Protagonist(s) to solve before they move on to the call of their greater fates? Well what if no Protagonist ever shows up and the local good ol' boys have to awkwardly deal with/stay away from the unsolvable yet hidden evil for several decades? What if they alternately get curious, terrified, brought closer together, driven further apart, and overall mystified by something that they cannot control, understand, or defeat? What if you just can't get rid of evil, and it sits there and half-heartedly fucks with you because its bored for 25 years? And what if that evil looks like a Buick?

I would buy multiple copies of From A Buick 8 if this was on the dust jacket.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Vorgen posted:

The most awesome Buick 8 blurb ever

The best way to introduce the book. Should seriously be on the back of the book.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

I agree, that was a great description. And it explained a lot of the reason why some people don't like the book: there's no real protagonist.

Here's something I've been wondering. In most (if not all)of King's books, at some point a character says "so that's alright". For example, someone might say "The book is in a safe place, so that's alright". I think I read somewhere an explanation for why he does that. My question is has anyone else ever noticed that, or any other Easter egg-type things in his books? I would almost think that mentioning snot is one, it sure seems to put in an appearance a lot.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 19, 2013

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm always somewhat shocked by Kings's rather brazen use of scatological references, which reached some sort of critical mass in Dreamcatchere where excessive farting and evil poo poo-weasel demons became major plot points as well. I sort of thing it crosses the line into "perverse fixation" at times but maybe that's just because Americans can be so drat uptight about this stuff.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It's a good metric of his writing, to be honest. Like he said in Danse Macabre:

Stephen King posted:

"I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I'll go for the gross-out. I'm not proud."

He's right in his analysis of his own writing. Scatological stuff's obviously in the gross-out category, and it seems like something he falls back on when everything else fails. Dreamcatcher is the novel of his that's most reliant on the gross-out and (arguably) his worst novel, period. So yeah, there's a correlation between poop and a lack of quality.

But to be fair to the guy, that was the first novel he wrote after his accident, and I'm pretty sure he just wrote it to help escape the pain. So if he wasn't up to his usual standards I guess it's understandable.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Just popping in to say that I really liked Joe Hill's Horns. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree, it seems. I couldn't help but compare to King as I read since it's his son. They're very different, style-wise, both with different strengths, but I enjoyed this as much as most King material lately.

A few observations:

Hill does characters really well. Despite the bizarre premise, the main three or four characters felt like real people, not just props.

He handled the bizarre premise really well, too. There's a good, meaty story here if you can roll with the supernatural aspects and don't need an explanation for everything.

I'll definitely read more Hill. Thanks to this thread for mentioning him.

April
Jul 3, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

Just popping in to say that I really liked Joe Hill's Horns. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree, it seems. I couldn't help but compare to King as I read since it's his son. They're very different, style-wise, both with different strengths, but I enjoyed this as much as most King material lately.

A few observations:

Hill does characters really well. Despite the bizarre premise, the main three or four characters felt like real people, not just props.

He handled the bizarre premise really well, too. There's a good, meaty story here if you can roll with the supernatural aspects and don't need an explanation for everything.

I've met Joe Hill a couple of times, and I want to throw out that he's also an incredibly nice guy, and his tumblr is the only one I read. He's super honest about his own life, including his problems with mental illness.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

High Lord Elbow posted:

A few observations:

He just keeps getting better and better. Heart Shaped box I wasn't crazy about, but I loved Horns and nos4era2 or whatever it's called. Too bad the Horns movie looks kind of lovely.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Really? My brother's a horror nerd and he's been following the Horns movie and said it looks good. I liked the book, though I think it was stronger before the central plotline/mystery was set up (it got a bit rapey). And the main character's father being the most famous horror writer trumpet player in the world was cute. I really dug Heart Shaped Box too.

Joe Hill has not forgotten the face of his father.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Looks like Joe is the new King of the Hill.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So given the way Joe and even Stephen himself have at various points released books with different last names just to prove that they can sell their writing without a famous name, what's to stop me from doing the opposite? Like, what if I change my legal name to Stephen King and write a book about an inter-dimensional killer Mime called That.

Does anything stop me from becoming the equivalent of The Asylum for horror books?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Helsing posted:

So given the way Joe and even Stephen himself have at various points released books with different last names just to prove that they can sell their writing without a famous name, what's to stop me from doing the opposite? Like, what if I change my legal name to Stephen King and write a book about an inter-dimensional killer Mime called That.

Does anything stop me from becoming the equivalent of The Asylum for horror books?

Yes, there are legal protections to prevent exactly this. Lawyers would rape your corpse.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Helsing posted:

Best to try Stefan Kange instead. You know, close enough that it's pronounced very similar, but also still distinct enough to make it less of a slam dunk case against you then actually going to Stephen/Steven King would be.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013
Introducing "The Firearm Wielder", the debut novel of Evan St. Monarch!

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I checked out 11/22/63 mainly because I read a few posts on here that it was good. I also had not given it a lot of thought before, but when I actually took the time to read what the book was about(time travel) it got my interest. Starting it tomorrow.

I enjoyed Under the Dome, but drat what a depressing ending. Everyone dies but about a dozen people. I actually got more upset over the two dogs dying than I did most of the people though. Besides for Ollie. I honestly didn't expect aliens. I thought the meth lab had something to do with the dome.

Someone said that the Tv series was similar (not here but online some place) to the book. Dunno what they where watching but it was vastly different from the few episodes that I saw. About the only thing similar was the people's names and the town's name. Did anyone watch the series that also read the book? How did you feel about all the changes? I enjoyed the show from what little I saw but fell behind in watching it and never got back into it. This was before reading the book though.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Pendergast posted:

I checked out 11/22/63 mainly because I read a few posts on here that it was good. I also had not given it a lot of thought before, but when I actually took the time to read what the book was about(time travel) it got my interest. Starting it tomorrow.

I enjoyed Under the Dome, but drat what a depressing ending. Everyone dies but about a dozen people. I actually got more upset over the two dogs dying than I did most of the people though. Besides for Ollie. I honestly didn't expect aliens. I thought the meth lab had something to do with the dome.

Someone said that the Tv series was similar (not here but online some place) to the book. Dunno what they where watching but it was vastly different from the few episodes that I saw. About the only thing similar was the people's names and the town's name. Did anyone watch the series that also read the book? How did you feel about all the changes? I enjoyed the show from what little I saw but fell behind in watching it and never got back into it. This was before reading the book though.

Pink stars are falling.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Pendergast posted:

The TV show may be the nadir of human televised entertainment. It's so badly written that it feels like it must be done on purpose as some kind of avante garde art project. The acting is so terrible that RiffTrax refuses to make fun of it. The characters are so dumb that in a crossover world Andrea from the Walking Dead would be in Mensa. The only saving grace is that the plot is so wackadoon that at times it's a roller coaster. Which random event will happen for no reason next?

At one point early in the show a large box truck is speeding through town, possibly making a delivery. A delivery to where? Good question. The dome has been down for several days. But he's in a hurry to get somewhere, and in a rube-goldberg series of events crashes into the water tower, inciting what could have been an interesting water shortage that they then solved in the very same episode. Then the show gets *worse* after that.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I recently moved, which involved boxing up all my books and reorganizing them on new bookshelves. This act led me to realize I have a few Stephen King books that I've never even read. Out of the following, which would you recommend I read first?:

- Insomnia
- The Talisman
- Four Past Midnight
- Dolores Claiborne

I'm pretty sure DC is universally considered a horrible one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dolores Clairborn isn't horrible, I don't think. It's just the story of some woman's lovely life, though. Watch the movie instead, if you have a choice, because then you don't have to deal with King going on about the smell of cum :sax:

So hit up the Talisman.

420 drink sour wine everyday